• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

POPULAR

I've been looking up other people's art on here for years, and now that I've got an account I thought "why not?" And then I remember that Scorp, Dood, Rickard, and Harry (to name a few) are all better than I am. Nevertheless, I shall persevere. For the inaugural update, I have doodles, studies, and drawing I made as parts of RP sign-ups.

Any constructive criticism is welcome. I've had one semester of art in seven years of high school and junior high, so I'm largely self-taught, and one should never turn down free advice. Other free stuff, it just depends. My only real request is that you ask if you want to use any of these for anything. And if you steal them for profit, I have the originals, so :P.

Without further ado, I introduce the various things that pop into my head from time to time. One last thing, I can't really promise how big the pics will be just yet. I'm still trying for consistency in quality.

Here we have a set of different faces, and one set of twins. Just for kicks, really.

Spoiler

The same guy, with different expressions. Maybe if I added glasses I could say it's Walter White from Breaking Bad.

Spoiler

Couple of hands, and an arm. Hands are always trickiest for me.

Spoiler

A few trees. These were surprisingly fun.

Spoiler

Now for a change of scenery. These were originally drawn just an inch or two at a side, but they look just as cool when blown up. First up, a lighthouse. Not sure where I saw this, but I've been drawing this place since I could draw straight lines.

Spoiler

Mountains in Switzerland.

Spoiler

A sunset in either Hawaii or California. Yes, I travel from time to time.

Spoiler

Alum Creek Reservoir, I think. It's in Ohio, if you must know. GO BUCKS!

Spoiler

To round out my scenery works, I have what I can only guess is the Fist of the First Men from A Song of Ice and Fire. Before you say "that's not how it looked at all!" please note that I've only read the books. 

Spoiler

Now to some Skyrim stuff.

This is Roland Stormblade, my character from xAltair7x's RP "The Elder Scrolls: Legends." This is everyone else's favorite version. Click the spoiler to see him without Argonians. Either way, I'm happy with the way it turned out, especially the cloak.

Spoiler

Spoiler

And Arvenya, Roland's dark elf comrade-in-arms and the former captain of the Ghostrunner. Her whole reason for adventuring is to get the means (or perhaps opportunity) to "obtain" another vessel. I don't like this pic as much as Roland's (left arm, I'm looking at you), but hey, you can't always get what you want.

Spoiler

This fellow here is Hawke, my character from Dark Ones, xAltair7x's other RP (don't worry, I sign-up for other people's stuff too). He's a little cartoony next to the others, but I inked him rather than leave him as a pencil sketch.

Spoiler

Rounding out my first batch is my Father's Day present for my dad, Thror's Map from The Hobbit. The handwriting was actually much harder than the drawing.

Spoiler

Well, that's all for now! I'd say what's next, but I'm not sure yet. Right now, I'm feeling some more Lord of the Rings a la "Azog vs.Thorin" (Yes, I remember it was Dain in the book. But Thorin is cool.) or "Morgoth vs. Fingolfin". Time will tell.

"Go now and speed well!" Hopefully to the comment box, so I can get some feedback.

Edited by HalfBaked139, 31 January 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#2 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hey, hey, hey, excellent work man! I do like the poses you've created. But you gotta work on that shading. It looks like a bunch of lines (and this is probably the pot calling the kettle black), like spaghetti or a tangela. Or at least it see that with your Arvenya character. It's like you went in a circle and the same goes for those Argonians. However I think you did that to get a good texture going.

Anyways I'm really diggin' dat map you made. The mountain looks amazing that that calligraphy is wicked cool!

gdV21HZ.gif

#3 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hey, hey, hey, excellent work man! I do like the poses you've created. But you gotta work on that shading. It looks like a bunch of lines (and this is probably the pot calling the kettle black), like spaghetti or a tangela. Or at least it see that with your Arvenya character. It's like you went in a circle and the same goes for those Argonians. However I think you did that to get a good texture going.

Anyways I'm really diggin' dat map you made. The mountain looks amazing that that calligraphy is wicked cool!

Thanks! As for the shading...well, I had just done those scenery images (all shading). I wanted to get a concept out there for the RPs. The circle-y parts are either fur components to armor, or me being to lazy to add scales, or just being lazy in general  :P. Tell you what, just for you, I'll heavily shade in the next batch, eh?

If you could see how I conceptualize poses, you would suffocate from laughing too hard.

And believe it or not, the Mountain is one of the easy parts. Smaug too. The real hard part was scaling it back (the real thing would be something like 8.5x14, or something like that).

Edited by HalfBaked139, 24 June 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#4 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

I think that lighthouse is the painting in the Tooth by the Lake dental. But ya know. I could be wrong.

Anyways great work, man.

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,222 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Whoa, these are seriously great, man! I especially love the character drawings. The scenery is also beautiful, but I'm a sucker for characters. :P Also, in spite of saying hands are tricky for you, I'd say you seem to have them down very well.

I gotta say, the Roland Stormblade sketch is probably my favorite. That remake of the map from The Hobbit is also ridiculously good. I've considered trying my hand at things like that (although I wanted to copy Nate's journal from Uncharted 2...), but I've never gotten up the courage. That map is flawless. Keep up the great work! Fantasy sketches in particular, because I'm biased. Looking forward to seeing more of those. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Whoa, these are seriously great, man! I especially love the character drawings. The scenery is also beautiful, but I'm a sucker for characters. :P Also, in spite of saying hands are tricky for you, I'd say you seem to have them down very well.

I gotta say, the Roland Stormblade sketch is probably my favorite. That remake of the map from The Hobbit is also ridiculously good. I've considered trying my hand at things like that (although I wanted to copy Nate's journal from Uncharted 2...), but I've never gotten up the courage. That map is flawless. Keep up the great work! Fantasy sketches in particular, because I'm biased. Looking forward to seeing more of those. :P

Well thanks! As it happens, I'm doing a lot of characters lately, and almost all fantasy-related, so I guess you luck out for the time being. Let me guess, you also prefer the Stormblade-killing-things version.

As for the map, let me know if you want to learn how I did it. It takes more skill with geometry and scale than actual artistic talent, and it's also very time-consuming, but the result is usually pretty hard to argue with.

And while I realize the first batch has been up for only 22 hours, I got some serious drawing done in that time. I will probably never update this quickly ever again, and keep bringing in feedback on the first set of stuff.

This is Jon Stark, the Lord of Winterfell, my character from D-man's ASOIAF RP Remorseless Winter. I may very well draw him again, since he turned out pretty cool.

Spoiler

Remember how I said "Azog vs. Thorin"? Yeah, that didn't happen (yet). Here's an only marginally decent sketch of Azog, as he appears in "An Unexpected Journey". I don't like his armor (as "King of Moria", shouldn't he have looted some of the Dwarves mithril armor?) so it received almost no tangible effort. I do like the foreshortening on our rather unfortunate dwarven friend, though.

Spoiler

A rather over-embellished doodle of Orcrist.

Spoiler

As much as I dislike my previous sketch of Azog, he's fun to draw, and frankly the last one didn't do him justice. Also, thank Klaykid for saying I need to work on my shading :P. See?! I can shade! I just don't like it! Oh yeah, three guesses on what the runes say.

Spoiler

Last but far from least is a sketch of Thorin Oakenshield. This one took a lot of work, but I think it turned out okay.

Spoiler

Well, that's it for now. Maybe more tomorrow, but that most likely won't be the case. I have things to do other than drawing once in a while ;).

Edited by HalfBaked139, 31 January 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#7 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Man, these are all looking fine, and your shading is fantastic :D

Warning - nerd rant.

Spoiler

But anywho, these all are fantastic, though some of them (like Thorin) are kind of static, though from your picture of Roland you clearly know how to do some fairly dynamic posing :D

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Burger Warrior, 24 June 2013 - 08:48 PM.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#8 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

I really like your scenery, although going by the super-thick lines it looks like you're either drawing far too heavy or are drawing really small (I presume the latter, since your more recent post has more normal line thickness). Go big!

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#9 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

Man, these are all looking fine, and your shading is fantastic :D

Warning - nerd rant.

...just don't get me started on Azog. If anyone should have a gripe with Thorin, it should be his little orc boy (forgot his name ._. ) who's supposed to be the big bad guy at the Battle of the Five Armies, according to the books >_<

Also he's supposed to be armored, and specifically has an especially large helmet :P

But anywho, these all are fantastic, though some of them (like Thorin) are kind of static, though from your picture of Roland you clearly know how to do some fairly dynamic posing :D

Keep up the good work!

Bolg. As in "Bolg, son of Azog" or "bodyguards of Bolg". I just think Azog has a cooler name. And you glossed over the fact that Dain Ironfoot beheaded Azog at the Battle of Azanulbizar, and stuffed the coins Azog used to "buy" Moria and Thror down the orc's gullet before mounting it on a spike outside of the Eastern Gate. I treat all movies and books like vocal traditions-same story, but the details change with each retelling. The movies are Peter Jackson retelling a story originally by another man. Instead of Azog the Goblin, it's Azog the Defiler (and given what he did to Thror's corpse, book or film, the name is deserved. The details change. The "Pale Orc" thing was unexpected, but makes him instantly recognizable.

And since I don't like Azog's minimalist armor, the legit drawing of the fight will have real armor, either orc-forged or looted from the depths of Moria. I'm skipping the helmet, since drawing his face is fun to draw, but he should look pretty armored-up.

I can't help but grin when you guys compliment the posing. I spent ten years in martial arts, so the posing comes from me standing in various positions to see which is the most logical. It gets a bit embarrassing when I have company.

I really like your scenery, although going by the super-thick lines it looks like you're either drawing far too heavy or are drawing really small (I presume the latter, since your more recent post has more normal line thickness). Go big!

Those were, for the most part, 1"x2" doodles done with .7mm. I've since switched to .5, and they'll get bigger. Since the last few were all characters, the next few will have some more scenery. But if you saw how my drawings of people looked 3 weeks ago, you'd understand why I'm suddenly doing lots of these. The first two sets of faces were an epiphany.

Edited by HalfBaked139, 25 June 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#10 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

I'm double-posting here, but they're my sketches :D. Anyway, this one's quick.

Burger, here's an armored version of Azog. Yes, there's a helmet. I wasn't going to put into the picture, but it looked cool. And to all of you loving on the poses, here you go. I promise that the next one will be the epic fight between him and Thorin I said I would do several days ago...

Spoiler

Alright, I know I'm supposed to be expanding the scale Dood, but I liked the way this one turned out.

Spoiler

And last but not least, a colored, "cartoon" version of Roland. He seems to be the favorite.

Spoiler

That's all folks! In fact, since most of what I do is based on RP sign-ups and your critique, let me know if there's anything I should attempt (not that I'll do it right away, if ever, but suggestions are always nice). And once I figure out how to better resize pictures, they'll be visible without zooming out to China.

Edited by HalfBaked139, 31 January 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#11 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Wow, these are all fantastic, and the stances are all great.

I'm especially loving Azog's fancy cape (and XXL helmet :P ).

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#12 Surtur

Surtur

King of the Fire and Flames

• Nova Member
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

These are all absolutely awesome dude... It makes me want to pick up the pencil and paper once more, though my dreams get crushed back down into the dirt when I see drawings like your Azog and Roland :P

But in all seriousness, I am definitely gonna be keeping a watchful eye on this topic. Your work is bewildering! :D

#13 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

This topic contains some amazing sketches. I love the musculature! Really great stuff. 

Edited by Ouflah, 10 November 2013 - 02:47 PM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#14 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

The way Azog's foot is coming out at you in that sketch is awesome. The perspective is unique and the pose is very lifelike. This topic just came out of nowhere, but your art is already really good looking.

Posted Image

#15 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Member
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

These are amazing! Keep it up!

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#16 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Member
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

I really want to see that action scene you've been promising, because you definitely have the potential to make a great one. The perspectives and everything you do kind of has me imagining something like this, angle-wise. Looks great in my head. :P

Also the map, Jon Stark, Thorin, Azog angle-sketch, and the sugar shack are all especially impressive amongst the rest of this good stuff.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#17 Grendel

Grendel

NO REST FOR THE WEARY, NO DESSERT FOR THE STUPID

• 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

These are GLORIOUS. I personally admire your ability to draw the human body (Something that frustrates me to no end). I also like all the Azog things, especially the armored one. And all the Hobbit stuff, since the Hobbit makes me pee myself with excitement.

May I steal your armored Azog for my avatar?

Image a world without guns, a better world, where people can focus on important things like sword fighting and killing a man in one punch

Please investigate my creative topic, filled with all manner of short stories of mild quality and drawings of the same!

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9858

#18 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

NEW POST!

These are all absolutely awesome dude... It makes me want to pick up the pencil and paper once more, though my dreams get crushed back down into the dirt when I see drawings like your Azog and Roland :P

But in all seriousness, I am definitely gonna be keeping a watchful eye on this topic. Your work is bewildering! :D

Bewildering? That's a new one. I'll take it. And just pick up that pencil, dude. Don't let me stop you. I'm pretty much self-taught, and believe me, it didn't happen overnight, even if this topic did. Besides, the vast majority of my work isn't even here. This tends to be the highlight reel.

These are GLORIOUS. I personally admire your ability to draw the human body (Something that frustrates me to no end). I also like all the Azog things, especially the armored one. And all the Hobbit stuff, since the Hobbit makes me pee myself with excitement.

May I steal your armored Azog for my avatar?

10 years of martial arts training helps, but if you haven't done that I recommend buying an illustrated book on strength training. It gives a really good perspective on how the human body is built and how it moves, and what its limits are. Again, no formal art training. It sort of happens. As for the avatar, I'd be honored! Just be sure to put where it came from in your sig or something!

First up, I have colored, cartoon doodles of the Avengers, more as an exercise in cartoons than anything else, and I might try one at some point. Either way, it was a nice break from scenery and Azog (let's be real, Azog appears on here even more than anyone else, even me.) Nearly any inconsistencies or questions about these can be explained with one simple phrase- HalfBaked didn't care THAT much with these.

Captain America

Spoiler

Iron Man

Spoiler

...I don't remember his name, but don't tell him that. It might make him angry, and I won't like him when he's angry.

Spoiler

Thor. My favorite of this set.

Spoiler

Hawkeye and Black Widow. Easily the least inspired of these.

Spoiler

Loki

Spoiler

I really want to see that action scene you've been promising, because you definitely have the potential to make a great one. The perspectives and everything you do kind of has me imagining something like this, angle-wise. Looks great in my head. :P

Also the map, Jon Stark, Thorin, Azog angle-sketch, and the sugar shack are all especially impressive amongst the rest of this good stuff.

Just for you, a helmeted and swinging version (I look at two-handed styles the way at look at bo staff- change your grip frequently, and you get more ways to beat the other guy. In other words, when you see him again, don't look for consistency there.)

Spoiler

And now the moment you've all been waiting for! In the Red corner, I give you the reigning heavyweight champ, The Pale Orc himself, Azog the Defiler! And in the Blue Corner, the challenger, Thorin, Son of Thrain, Son of Thror!

Spoiler

Aaaaand another, to capture a more action-packed part of the clash. Plus, it shows off the detail in Thorin's armor. As a bonus, we may very well see this fight again.

EDIT: Or not. It's broken, but I'll fix it later. I promise.

That's all for now. As always, any feedback is awesome, and I'll listen to any requests. I might not actually do anything after that, but I'll listen ;).

Edited by HalfBaked139, 31 January 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#19 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

At long last, I got my act together somewhat. I think. It only took me five months, but in light of the fact that I am doing all my own art for my upcoming RPs (yes, plural - see the G4 for details) I will be at least slightly more active in the near future.

For starters, the long-awaited picture of Thorin and Azog. It's been done for five months, I just never got around to posting it.

Spoiler

Next, a mountain I drew with my Wacom tablet. Expect some stuff from there on occasion. I got it as a present for graduation but never used it, because I figure I'm good enough with old-school pencil and paper. And I still don't know that I like it. Anyway, here it is.

Spoiler

And since tonight is the grand opening of my new RP Rise: Blaze of Glory, here are the full concept sketches and the like. The ones in the RP will eventually be replaced once I settle on something more to my liking.

Marcus Scipio, the cyborg captain of my pirate destroyer. I'm really proud of the perspective here. The little thing floating over his shoulder is Hobbes, the shipboard AI.

Spoiler

The Blaze of Glory - A large metal thing. I basically thought "What if a WWII Hetzer tank were a spaceship?" Well, here it is.

Spoiler

Scipio's mech, Jägerbomber. He has a sense of humor, though at times it seems nonexistent.

Spoiler

The Gyrfalcon gunships that Blaze of Glory keeps on hand

Spoiler

The emblem of The Collective - definitely still in the works

Spoiler

More on the way! As always, say what you want and whatever. Remember, sometimes I do more art when people criticize, just to be an arrogant jerk

Edited by HalfBaked139, 03 February 2014 - 02:49 AM.

#20 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 2,029 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

I'm really liking these my fellow artist and tanker! Great stuff and posing along with details and shading! I can't wait to see more sire, also on a side note, I redid my character which means I have to redo his look and his mech's look because I don't think it's too Kraken-y.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users