Photo

GIANT WOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRM (Gears of War Thread)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spark

Spark

"There ain't no getting off of this train we're on.

• Nova Member
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

So we don't clog the VG thread at a certain point in time this coming week.

Let's talk Gears of War. Any Gears. Gears 1? Gears 2? Gears 3? Maybe Judgement (seriously, don'), heck we got 'em all!

I wanted to throw my 2 cents into that trailer stuff we were talking about in VG a while back. Mad World possibly fits with all of them, but as far as Gears 3's announcement trailer goes, that one belongs to one song alone.

"The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings."

ZS4M1yt.png

#2 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:33 AM

I just wanted to say bless you for this topic name. 

Also, GOW4. It wasn't even on my radar until I saw that latest trailer.

I was torn between whether to have feels or to laugh out loud as soon as The Sound of Silence started playing. I chose laughing as soon as I saw Marcus hefting that sapling tree around like it was a wounded Carmine brother. And then manly tears crept up on me towards the end once you see the tree again.

But honestly I'm still pretty skeptical. I know it isn't fair to hold it up to the standards of the past experience but GOW was the only campaign experience I enjoyed as much as the first three Halo games (Shoot me for a traitor, I know. The story wasn't the best but damn I loved every minute of those campaigns). I mean that last Gears of War title they pulled out sounded like a crapshoot, Judgement Day or whatever it was called.

I dunno, I need to see more of the game's content before I can really pass judgement. In the meantime it's just on the fringe of my radar but I hear they'll deliver on a more in-depth look pretty soon so I'm looking forward to that. 

Edited by The Captain, 13 April 2016 - 12:34 AM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#3 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:10 AM

You chose is the best possible topic title :P

"They're sinking cities with a giant worm" is Gears of War to me. Gears 2 was my first Xbox 360 game, and obviously the first Gears game I ever played, and I loved it so much. It tapped into the same part of me that adores the Fast & Furious movies so much; I'm so taken with big, loud, dumb spectacles. That game was deafeningly loud at all times, from the gunfire to the constant shouting, and just kept topping itself all the way through. Sprinting through the belly of a giant worm, dodging its big tonsils (or whatever they were) just mashing up and down like industrial pistons, then chainsawing your way out of there covered head to toe in blood is the best part of the whole Gears trilogy. You know I'm right.

I never finished the first Gears (I found the bits where you had to avoid the murder bats really irritating, and by the time I got past them I sort of lost the will to keep going), and, while I enjoyed Gears 3, it didn't really scratch the itch I needed scratched. I remembered spending a lot of time waiting for them to explain why the Locust Queen had a human face, and then they... didn't. Then I didn't play Judgment because I hate Baird. I've been thinking about buying that remake of the first game, but apparently the PC port's all busted.

Anyway, how 'bout that Gears 4, huh? That's coming out.

#4 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:27 AM

See, Gears 3 was my favorite for a lot of reasons. I love Cole. I love everything about that character. He's basically the poster child for what you describe as the meaning of Gears of War. But I also love his greater backstory that was flourished throughout those opening levels, and to an extent, the books that were released between Gears 2 and 3. Say what you will about Karen Traviss's works everywhere else; she can write Gears.

Cole is man that came from so much loss and tragedy, and puts on a show for everyone else to feel a little better about the crap world they've been dealt.

Another reason 3 is my favorite was the Tower Defense-esque spin they did for the 2nd iteration of Horde Mode. I've had so much fun in that mode in the years since release.

3 is also pretty much the ultimate couch shooter. I remember nights where a bunch of us would play the story mode on arcade rules just for the hell of it (with all the crazy modifiers like big head mode, chicken, etc.)

I had reservations about 4 being made as I expressed last year during the E3 thread, but seeing how this threat isn't the Locust reborn, I'm willing to give Coalition the benefit of the doubt on their first game. The beta is this weekend. I'll be playing it. I'll let you guys know.

I hope I can play as Bernie again. Loved her in the books.:

cog_bernie_708x398-392c1cfae2eb44faa2851

"The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings."

ZS4M1yt.png

#5 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

Those darn jerks have done it again. Ever since Robert Pattinson was casted as Edward Cullen, and stole my hair and pasty white, pre-brazil skin, I knew it would happen again, and now it has. People used to ask me if I was trying to look like the vampire from twilight. I would say "no I've been doing my hair like this for a couple years now". My dad saw a picture of Rob Pat on the front of a thong in the hot topic window, and asked me if that was what I was trying to look like. I explained "no I've been doing this for years you know this wtf dad". I had to change my style. But then Jbiebs came around all four years younger than me or whatever, and stole my light colored emo hair. And they started asking if I was doing Jbiebs hair. And I said "no f you guys" and changed my haircut again. I won't even tell you what they said when Justin cut his hair short to friggin copy me.

But they've done it again now. Marcus Fenix carved my initials into a tree. And now I know that someone, somewhere, SOME DAY is going to ask me "HEY are you signing the same initials from Gears 4?" And once again I'm going to have to say "no, wtf I've been doing this for years I've practiced penmanship for years this is how I sign, no a signature doesn't have to be cursive you clod". I know it. I know it's going to happen.

The persecution is endless.  

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#6 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

EPIC (I mean, COALITION) Bump.

First 20 minutes of Gears 4 (which I've been warming up to.)

Ayyyyyy, ASPHO FIELDS IN THE GAMES. FINALLY.

ZS4M1yt.png

#7 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:39 PM

So, here we are. 5 long years since Gears 3, and now the 4th has arrived. A game I had long since felt was unecessary. A game that would cheapen Gears 3's ending.

I have only one thing to say:

It's so friggin' great to be back!

ZS4M1yt.png

#8 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:44 AM

Right, well, that was an interesting campaign, although I had my gripes with it. Interesting twist at the end, though.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#9 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

The Coalition are running a contest for Gears 4; to have five out of ten armour designs from international artists added to the game as free DLC, assuming you play before December 31st that is.

Choices are already up; must admit, I voted for the goat skull. >_>
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users