• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:07 AM

I think enough forum members are hyped about this to justify a standalone topic for Mankind Divided.

Anyway, I did want to point something out:

Spoiler

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Let's have at it, ladies and gents.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#2 Spark

Spark

"There ain't no getting off of this train we're on.

• Nova Member
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:51 AM

I'm willing to be you're right about some of that, although Eidos has already pointed out they're taking 'broad strokes' approach to how the ending played out for MD's story. It seems like Panchea blowing up and leaving Jensen as the sole survivor happened, but also the various PoVs that Sarif, Taggart, and Darrow gave you at the end also got out and congealed into various movements (I.E.: The Juggernaut Collective, whatever the heck Belltower is doing still, Mr. Handsasaurus Rex's faction).

The Illuminati is also still out there, as they will be until the time of the original Deus Ex (unless they aim to redo its story, which I'm not wholly fussed about since HR was amazing and this one looks to be just as good if not better, and tbh Jensen is a much better character than JC Denton.) and I can bet you that Megan Reed is still kicking around out there as part of their scheming. That's a nasty little confrontation waiting to happen right there. The very brief reunion at the end of HR combined with her teaming up with Bob Page makes me thing we're on a fast track for her to one of the main villains of the story.

"The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings."

ZS4M1yt.png

#3 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,341 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

Count me among the heathens who played and adored Human Revolution but still never finished the original game. I've started Deus Ex twice, but I made the exact same mistake both times: I spent like five hours exploring every nook and cranny of the Statue of Liberty level, so when the time came to start the actual game I was immediately paralyzed with indecision at the gigantic, gaping maw of player choice lying before me. I've seen people complain that Human Revolution was too streamlined and dumbed-down compared to the original, but that was actually a blessing for me. My play style in these games is to explore every level for hours, find the stealth path, find the hacking path, find the shootybang path, go through all of them and loot everything that isn't nailed down along the way. With Human Revolution, that wasn't a completely insurmountable task; with the original Deus Ex it seems like I could end up spending a hundred hours just doodling around without ever getting anything done :P

But I will play through it before Mankind Divided. And I still haven't touched that Director's Cut for Human Revolution, either, so that'll be a nice little crouchwalk through memory lane. The Mankind Divided trailer (and its wonderful music) brought all kinds of wonderful memories flooding back, like sneaking around in Hengsha with that lovely golden light glowing down from the magnificently-named Floof above me, and the hours upon hours I spent reading every e-mail I could get my bionic eyes on to.

I also clearly need to refamiliarise myself with the story of Deus Ex, because I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I mean, I luuurved Human Revolution, but I recall almost nothing of the story. Jensen never asked for this, and that TV lady was actually an AI, and there's a guy named Arie Van Bruggen. And... like, Jensen's girlfriend might not have been dead, but I honestly can't remember what came of that. Hopefully a little more will sink in this time.

#4 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,222 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

Gosh, Ocey, you do need to replay it, then. You're in for a treat, especially if you don't remember one particular cutscene that gave me feels, near-ish to the end of the game... which apparently you don't. :P

As for me, I'm dying of excitement and planning replays of the original Deus Ex and another of Human Revolution. I've played the original once, but I'd love to run through it again and try some different things. I played Human Revolution 5 times on the Xbox and got all the 'chievos, but I bought the Director's Cut on a Steam sale and I haven't ever gotten around to playing it. Now's as good a time as ever to finally set aside some time to check that out.

What I'd like to know is whether or not this kid in the trailer, the one with the pointy Jensen goatee, is important. Is he just a random augmented dude for trailer purposes, or is the flashback of Megan* getting attacked while the young guy gets attacked a little too... conveniently compared? I don't know, I might be pushing it. He might just be thinking about how augs attacked un-augmented people way back when, and now un-augmented people are attacking augs. But what I'm trying to say is, could this kid be related to Jensen somehow?

*: have i ever mentioned how much i love hearing Elias say my name in his sultry voice even if it's spelled differently and pronounced a little differently i dont care

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#5 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

Nice movie trailer, but I'll save my hype for when I see actual gameplay. I really enjoyed the original Deus Ex: Human Revolution, though I found the ending to be kind of disappointing. I really liked how the game played though, and I liked how, for the most part, you could play the game as someone who sucks at shooters and do very little shooting (outside of bosses which kicked my butt). But, that trailer really doesn't show me anything about the -game-, so for now, my hype level is at a Emma Stone shrug-level.

26807-Emma-Stone-eh-gif-EcP5.gif

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#6 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

The Illuminati is also still out there, as they will be until the time of the original Deus Ex (unless they aim to redo its story, which I'm not wholly fussed about since HR was amazing and this one looks to be just as good if not better, and tbh Jensen is a much better character than JC Denton.)

Spoiler

#7 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

Spoiler

I take it we'll agree to disagree.

"The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings."

ZS4M1yt.png

#8 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

That trailer was all kinds of hot. Like physically arousing.

Time for a other run through HR.

emily-blunt.gif

#9 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

Gosh, Ocey, you do need to replay it, then. You're in for a treat, especially if you don't remember one particular cutscene that gave me feels, near-ish to the end of the game... which apparently you don't. :P

Oh man, now I'm all excited again. I was struggling to remember some other bits, and all I could come up with was that I think Jensen goes to space at one point? Or like a Low Earth Orbit rocket kind of thing, but they kind of glossed over exactly how he got back to Earth without exploding :P

But, that trailer really doesn't show me anything about the -game-, so for now, my hype level is at a Emma Stone shrug-level.

26807-Emma-Stone-eh-gif-EcP5.gif

At first I was like:

ChsFkl3.gif

And now that the initial shock has worn off I'm like:

hVOcAUG.gif

I agree that a CG trailer should be nothing to get so excited over, but OH MAN NOT THIS TIME! TWO TICKETS FOR THE HYPE TRAIN TO HYPE STATION IN HYPE CITY!

EDIT - MORE HYPE! In the form of a collection of answers to Twitter questions from the game's director Jean-Francois Dugas:

- Game is fully ghost-able, including in bossfights

- Conversation bossfights will be back

- 'Give Me Deus Ex' difficulty mode will be back

- The development team is mostly the same people who worked on Human Revolution

#10 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

So, does anyone here believe that the Illuminati is a real thing? I'm just curious cause the first Deus Ex was sort of an introduction to the whole concept for me.

I always found it funny how despite being released in 2000, the Manhattan skyline in-game had a distinct absence of the World Trade Center, which was supposedly an 'accident'.

xgd0s9.jpg

#11 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

So, does anyone here believe that the Illuminati is a real thing? I'm just curious cause the first Deus Ex was sort of an introduction to the whole concept for me.

Well duh they're a real thing. Or, well, they were. They haven't been a thing since like 1790.

#12 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

Well duh they're a real thing. Or, well, they were. They haven't been a thing since like 1790.

Lemme rephrase that.

*currently a real entity that still exists

xgd0s9.jpg

#13 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

Lemme rephrase that.

*currently a real entity that still exists

There are several groups that call themselves the Illuminati.  At least one has an official website (the Ordo Templi Orientis) and all the ones I know of have open membership.  I think they operate as sort of a Freemason-style fraternity thing, but I'm not sure.  If you meet their prerequisites, you could probably join right now.

http://en.wikipedia....dern_Illuminati

http://en.wikipedia....Templi_Orientis

http://oto.org/

The Illuminati was basically a group of freethinkers who believed in educating commoners and other hippy stuff the rich folks of the late 1700's shook their fist at (as Cracked puts it).  When the Bavarian king at the time banned all secret societies, they basically just split up and did who knows what.  There have occasionally been conspiracy theories several times in history regarding their supposed involvement in events, but this was due to a book called "Memoirs Illustrating the History of Jacobinism," a book that claimed the Bavarian Illuminati survived and was behind the French Revolution, but has since been rejected by pretty much all modern historians.  The whole "Illuminati controls the NWO" wasn't a thing until an author came up with it as the plot for his fiction novel series, Illuminatus.  On a side note, the Illuminati and Freemasons aren't actually the same group.  The Freemasons existed long before the Illuminati did, in a different place for a different purpose.

In other words, the Illuminati, as a shadowy group that controls the world, is fiction.  But it sure can make for a good story plot.

Baaaaaaaaaaack to the topic at hand, count me excited for Deus Ex.  It brings back memories of that first amazing CGI trailer for HR. :D

Edited by Halicon, 16 April 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#14 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

EDIT:  Wait, nope, there is definitely a little bit of that golden filter in there.  Oh well, at least it doesn't seem anywhere near as thick as it was in HR.

Edited by Halicon, 20 April 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#15 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:59 AM

E3 BLOWOUT

Trailer:

Gameplay demo at Gamespot:

Engine demo from that PC gaming show:

ADAM'S AMAZING FACE:

dxmd_2015_06_12_e3_screen_online_005.jpg

Spoiler

#16 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

Anyone who said they didn't ask for this is a lying liar who lies. :P

ZS4M1yt.png

#17 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:44 AM

And another gameplay demo from IGN with different stuff!

At about 4:30 Adam does an honest-to-God Mass Effect Vanguard Charge, except he warps back to where he started at the end! Icarus Dash, they call it. It actually looks a little bit like Dishonored's Blink, too.

The only thing I'm not quite ecstatic about is that my girl Faridah Malik seems to have been replaced with this new guy Elias Chikane. I suppose he could be cool, too, though. Maybe Malik's moved up in the world and she's too important to just fly the VTOL now.

#18 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,222 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:35 AM

Am I the only one who finds it awkward to name an NPC Elias when, in fact, Jensen's voice actor is Elias Toufexis, and I talk to the guy so much online that I usually just refer to him as "Elias" now?

I'm going to start confusing people. :P

Also, holy crap does Jensen ever look good in this game. I know we've been over this, but it needs to be mentioned again.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#19 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

UNATCO?

U-UNATCO?

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#20 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

Also, holy crap does Jensen ever look good in this game. I know we've been over this, but it needs to be mentioned again.

I honestly think Geralt and Adam Jensen are the only characters who survived the transition to next-gen with both their faces and voices intact. Everyone else is like those sitcom characters who get recast between seasons and everyone pretends they're the same person :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users