8 replies to this topic

#1 Tr0jin H0rse

Tr0jin H0rse

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthorpist

• Nova Member
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

POPULAR

There haven't been any entries to this competition yet, so I thought I would whip up one to get everybody started. This is my Achmer entry for the Harmony VDC.

I present to you, the microfig scale Achmer Tripod Walker!

Posted Image

Excuse the crappy photoshopping. I started off when I was messing around with the legs whilst building nothing in particular, and then remembered this contest included Achmer vehicles. So I built a head, added a support and voila. Yes, the head is too heavy for the legs to support it, hence the "invisible support". My first version could stand freely, but it looked horrible. Sacrificed stability for looks. Heh. I loosely based my design of Scorps inspiration sketches to inspire entries.

Posted Image

The Achmer undoubtedly own some of the best quality technology in all of Nova Refuge. Their standard issue tripod walker is no exception. Fitted with state of the art weaponry and robotics, it is a sight to behold on the battlefield. Its three legs help it move with grace and precision, whilst its two front tentacles can be used in a variety of ways. The squid-like look of the walker has caused other walker pilots through Nova Refuge to know it as the "Kraken", the mythical sea creature of human legend.

Posted Image

The Kraken, as a basic infantry support, is armed with three main weapons. Two heavy artillery cannons (known as "Ink Sacs" to humans) are present on either side of the body, while a high power laser cannon sits in front of the canopy for line-of-sight destruction.

Posted Image

The Krakens front tentacles can be used in many ways. They can be used to tear into enemy bases, fight other walkers up close or even hold and fire experimental Achmer weaponry. And like the Kraken of legend, its tentacles can bring down ships that get too close.

Posted Image

I did say that this was microfig scale, so here is one for comparison. The Kraken is a medium sized walker, with only one pilot needed to operate it. There is no windshield; it is operated by instruments alone. The optical sensors on the canopy give off a purple glow when activated.

Posted Image

But the Achmer are a resourceful species. If required, the Kraken can retract its arms and legs to become a medium sized fighter!

Posted Image

The Kraken is as deadly as a fighter as it is as a walker. When released from an Achmer carrier vessel, they attack like a swarm of bees. The "Ink Sacs" quickly bring down any resistance, and clear a space for the fighters to land and transform into the tripods.

Posted Image

Here is a top view of the Kraken. It retains a somewhat round shape, as most Achmer vehicles do. You can also see the flight thrusters positioned at the rear.

Posted Image

And finally, our beloved Kraken ponders the mysteries of the universe.

Thank you, and comments are welcome, as always.

#2 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

That's a pretty sweet little walker/fighter you've got there man. Looks very War of the Worldsish, and kudos on that last picture for making me laugh out loud! Good luck in the competition, and thanks for the inspiration. ;)

#3 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

makes my typhoon fighter pale in comparison

mudkip.png

#4 Lord English

Lord English

You're DARN TOOTIN i love to roughhouse!!!

• Nova Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

I think they're both cool. They're different, so they're both special.

rsz_1gebwrhyswjipiqhompdmu0yecrcevjcvkpr

All Hail the Emperor and Senate of the Byzantine Empire

#5 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

Wow, this is pretty dang awesome. If I was gonna throw together an entry, it would have been a similarly sized tripod walker as well, but at minifig scale (meaning it'd be a light scout walker at best, by NR standards).

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#6 Tr0jin H0rse

Tr0jin H0rse

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthorpist

• Nova Member
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

I haven't seen the typhoon. Do you have a link?

#7 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

I haven't seen the typhoon. Do you have a link?

yeah here it is. I haven't upload pics of the cockpit yet but it is to min-fig scale. I'll probably re take the pics with a mini-fig in them to show scale

Edited by silientspy, 19 March 2013 - 08:50 AM.

mudkip.png

#8 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Really cool dude, I love it. I wonder if there's room to squeeze all three medals under your profile info there - gold, silver, and bronze. I mean, if no one else enters... :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#9 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Really cool dude, I love it. I wonder if there's room to squeeze all three medals under your profile info there - gold, silver, and bronze. I mean, if no one else enters... :P

Hey woah! I got something big planned!

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users