Photo

Star Wars Movies and Disney Fanfiction Thread

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

Poll: Star Wars

What's a cool spaceship?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Bobafettmaniac

Bobafettmaniac

Gopnik Lyfe

• Nova Member
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

...Craaaaaaapp... :brickwall:

There goes my childhood dream of joining Lucasarts or Lucasfilm to work on bringing back Star Wars...

:capyoself:

Oh well, I guess disney might be able to pull something good off. I mean, they are doing fairly well with the Marvel movies...so maybe...

:capyoself:

Posted Image

Thanks to Burngirl for the Sig.

#42 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,979 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

I mean, they are doing fairly well with the Marvel movies...so maybe...

I think the thing to take from that is that Disney doesn't really have a whole lot of sway over the companies they buy. Avengers is the only movie Marvel's made since Disney bought them, and it isn't really appreciably different in tone to the rest of the movies in the series. Disney didn't force Marvel to throw Mickey Mouse or Hannah Montana in there, or make it any kid-friendlier than it might have been.

It'll probably be the same with Lucasfilm. We can probably expect a Star Wars ride at Disneyland, but I don't think Star Wars 7 is going to be really Disney-ish or anything. I think it's just that the accounting department at Disney saw an opportunity to make some money and George Lucas wanted out of the industry, so Lucas gets a bit of spending money and Disney will now take a cut of everything that says 'Star Wars' on it. It was probably the same thing with the Prince of Persia licence a couple of years ago, but Star Wars is obviously a bigger get.

Of course, I'm just some guy making guesses. Disney could totally turn Star Wars into one of their godawful sitcom things where unfunny child actors loudly recite lines to raucous canned laughter, but I don't think that's really likely. I think the biggest news from all this is just that there are going to be new Star Wars movies and George Lucas isn't going to direct them.

#43 Bobafettmaniac

Bobafettmaniac

Gopnik Lyfe

• Nova Member
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

That, and to be honest, Lucas doesn't really have a family member to pass it on to, unlike Tolkien, or Stan Lee.
He is getting old, Star Wars is losing its popularity as a whole, and his daughter doesn't really have a vision. So what are his options? Its probably better to hand it over to a semi-trustworthy organization that at least has large amounts of money and publicity, rather than hand it to a random employee, who might drive it into the ground...

Edited by Bobafettmaniac, 30 October 2012 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks to Burngirl for the Sig.

#44 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Indeed. And there's another reason why dragging Prince of Persia into these useless arguments isn't smart.

Because it's a god-awful movie gets absolutely everything the game stood for wrong, right down the Prince's name? :D

I kid. This isn't a discussion about PoP. Star Wars. I'll admit, I don't know much about the franchise, and I really only like two of the six movies. Yes, two. Unfortunately, I didn't see the original trilogy until Episode 1 was released into theaters, so I don't have rose-tinted glasses for 4, 5, and 6. And 6 really isn't that great. The dialog gets ham-handed, it gets cheesy, and the Ewoks. The Ewoks. D:

I won't pass any judgment on the film until I see it, or at least, until we get an idea of the people working on it. If they get someone good behind the camera, it won't matter if Disney is in charge or not. If they get a good script and a good director, the franchise may find new legs. As it is now, Star Wars is more the butt of jokes than something to take seriously, and seems to really be nothing more than internet arguments over Lucas's newest change. Maybe a new film will move us away from that, similar to what Star Trek did for that series (Whether you like the new film or not, it at least brought the series back into the forefront and gave it plenty of attention).

Disney can make some dumb choices, but I think the Avengers shows that sometimes they can make some good moves. Putting Joss Whedon in charge of that film was a bold choice. Up until that, outside of Buffy, he was just the guy who made beloved, but failed television shows. He had one major picture that tanked at the box office. But they gave him this movie and it became a HUGE success. If they don't mess this up, they could have a real cash cow. A real BIG cash cow. I can't imagine that Disney execs don't know that, and don't plan to make sure this is a success. I don't think Disney will be dumb enough to take Star Wars and do something stupid with it.

At least, not something dumber than what Lucas has been doing up until now.

I am going to remain cautiously optimistic until more details surface. They probably don't even have a script writer yet. Also, I could be mistaken, but I think someone related to Lucas is involved as a writer on the CG Clone Wars show? I don't watch it, but I've heard the show itself is actually decent.

Edited by Ryoma, 30 October 2012 - 08:11 PM.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#45 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Episode VII?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Hold on, Disney's doing it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

I know, I know, Avengers was great, but still...

Edited by Ouflah, 30 October 2012 - 09:51 PM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#46 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

¨Bringing Prince of Persia here is not that smart. I didnt seen it

Stopped reading there. (not just because of bad grammar)
My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#47 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Stopped reading there. (not just because of bad grammar)

Meh, for me it was the username. I thought the movie was great. I didn't play the games, but it was a good movie IMO.

Edited by Ouflah, 30 October 2012 - 10:54 PM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#48 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Disney made some very entertaining movies lately. While not deep or with unique characters, it's fun.

#49 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

Clone Wars is pretty decent, thought there are two things that are spoiling it. 1) The combat with blasters is so freaking small. The trained soldiers are unable to hit a droid at 10 meters! And 2), introduction of character that is made very important, but is never mentioned in 3rd episode, Ashoka Tano. I will wait until 5th season is off, but I really wonder how the creators want to explain her disappearance before Ep3. If I am right, Disney now owns Lucasfilm Animation division as well, so lets see how will the Clone Wars come to the end, and by that we can have a small glimpse of what we can expect of Ep7. Its too early to judge anything.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#50 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

I have no clue why people are so overcome by the fact that Disney is doing it, like what's wrong with Disney? I can't fathom why people are so concerned these movies will be bad because Disney is doing it. Really, there are so many reasons to assume an Episode VII might go wrong that declaring that Disney is the thing to fear just seems silly.

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#51 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,862 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Disney doesn't have the greatest track record with sequels.

#52 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

What are you defining Disney by?

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#53 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

I have no clue why people are so overcome by the fact that Disney is doing it, like what's wrong with Disney? I can't fathom why people are so concerned these movies will be bad because Disney is doing it. Really, there are so many reasons to assume an Episode VII might go wrong that declaring that Disney is the thing to fear just seems silly.

I think that partially it is because Disney in the recent years is making TV series starring childish and overall young actors who are not actually acting, but just reciting a given text, something that is happening in my country with more adult series. And that some of their movies are not so great. Of course, there are few exceptions, I admit that.

#54 Koenig

Koenig

I think something should go here.

• 521 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

To be honest, I had no idea that Disney was the group that "technically" made The Avengers (which I really liked) until after reading this thread ( :unsure:)... So after finding that out, I'm not quite as apprehensive about this as before. Maybe it'll actually turn out pretty good.

EDIT: I aslo feel that it's fair to point out that, yes, Disney's done some pretty... bad... stuff before on the TV. But they've also done some pretty good stuff (Think Avengers and PotC) for actual movies.

Edited by Koenig, 31 October 2012 - 12:10 AM.

Winning boss battles with throwing knives since 2013.

#55 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,862 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

Don't get me wrong, Disney has created and produced tons of awesome films, even a few darker ones here and there. But the greatness usually only lasts for one film, and any subsequent sequels tend to fall short (looking at you, Pirates). Maybe this is different because yes, Star Wars VII is a sequel but its not a sequel to a film they have originally created. I don't know. I'm just jaded towards the idea of new Star Wars films. Lucas could've sold the franchise to Chris Nolan and Lionsgate Studios and I'd still find it hard to be excited for new movies.

#56 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

Disney doesn't have the greatest track record with sequels.

Pshaw, what? They have wonderful luck with sequels! Look, here's Hunchback of Notre Dame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oNzUD0NfJY

Wonderful, yes? Now, let's check out the sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpFj2mkTkHQ

Oh...oh god. :capyoself:

In seriousness, Disney's track record may or may not come into play here. Like I said above, and what Moonlight said, it all depends on the script and who they get to direct. Disney itself may have little to do with the actual final product.

Edited by Ryoma, 31 October 2012 - 12:15 AM.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#57 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

You know the topic is Star Wars when people start breaking out the "suicide" emoticons. It's like it was tailor made for Star Wars topics or something. :P

Does anyone know who the director is slated to be, or any of the actors?

Edited by Halicon, 24 November 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#58 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Practically nothing is known, thats why I wont say more about that.

#59 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

He... Really? What about old Tenel Ka? Ah. Aha.

I think she had Jacen's kid (another Chosen One, surprise surprise) and then sodded off back to the Mary Suetopia she came from and mostly dropped off of the face of the galaxy.

#60 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,862 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

Well depending on where the Fate of the Jedi books end up, there could be as much as 120 years of unexplored territory between them and the Legacy comics. And going BBY there's even more blank space. So there are opportunities for any new films to not destroy what's been established.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users