News LEGO Art and Writing Forums About Me
Shop Shop: Minifigs Shop: Decals Shop: Accessories Shop: Instructions Shop: Novels

Photo

Contest: LEGO Duel Vignette

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpan

• ROOT Admin
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

The Rules/Guidelines
Your objective is to create a LEGO vignette that shows a fight between two individuals. The goal is to make it as ACTION PACKED as possible, while still using normal LEGO minifigures with their limited range of motion. Here are some things to keep in mind:
  • A LEGO Vignette is a small scene inside of a limited square space. The base of your vignette should be no bigger than 24 x 24 studs. Smaller, however, is fine.
  • A vignette shows a single moment in time. Your minifigs should be positioned in the middle of the action, frozen in time. This is a vignette, not a comic - do not move anything around between photographs.
  • At least one character in the battle should be a minifig. The other can be whatever you want. However, please restrict yourself to just two combatants. No more, no less.
  • The vignette can be any theme. It can be a fight between two generic LEGO Castle minifigs; a scene from a story you wrote or just an idea from your own head; or a scene from a book, movie, video game, etc.
  • Lastly, I would prefer that the scene be from the middle of the fight, not the end. Try to build a fight scene, not a death scene.
NOTE: All of these rules are flexible! Just ask in the thread and provide details about what you are planning, and I might still allow the entry. But if you don't ask first, some entries may be rejected if they did not adhere to the rules above. I will try to let you know if your entry is bending the rules too much.
I built this vignette of the final boss fight from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves as an example of the kind of entry I am looking for. Give it a look!

EDIT: A few clarifications. I encourage the use of products from my shop, but it is not required, and it will not affect your score either way.
You may submit up to three (3) entries.

How to Enter
Just post a link to your creation right here in this thread! You can make a topic about it here on SSLF in our LEGO boards and link to that topic, or you can link to another site like Flickr, MOCpages, or Brickshelf
If you do not want to post your entry here for whatever reason, you may email it to sales@saber-scorpion.com instead.

Judging
The winner will be judged according to creativity, adherence to the guidelines, and pure awesomeness - the more creatively and clearly the vignette portrays some kind of action within the restricted LEGO space, the better! I have not yet decided whether I will recruit volunteer judges for this contest. I might just judge it myself.

Prizes
The grand prize for the 1st place winner is a single free minifig of their choice from my Custom Minifig Shop! The first, second, and third place winners will also receive medals on their SSLF profiles, and they and two more runners-up will get discount codes for the Saber-Scorpion's Lair Shop!

Deadline
The current deadline for entry submission is November 15. I know everyone's busy with school, so I hope that's enough time to come up with something. :)

Entries So Far...If you have questions, comments, or of course entries, then please reply! Have fun!

#2 Tommy of Rivia

Tommy of Rivia

I don't work for free.

• Nova Member
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Very excited to build my Vignette. Unfortunately I can't decide between these two ideas I have... oh well, I will eventually! Be ready for some superhuman fighting!

\tumblr_n9nod243RN1qji9bgo1_500.gif

Check out my band, Short Stories and our Music Video.

#3 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpan

• ROOT Admin
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Clarifications:
- I encourage you to use products from my shop, but it's not required. It will not negatively affect your score if you do not.
- You may submit up to three entries. I didn't have a ton of entries last time anyway, so the more the merrier. :P

#4 lightning bolt

lightning bolt

youngish oldish

• 3,290 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

It may be time to bring out the LEGOs again, and whip something up. This should be fun!

#5 Spider-man

Spider-man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• Freebie
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

Now I just have to decide what three duels... I've been making a ton of Avengers-related minifigs lately...

#6 Sareth

Sareth

You people need to be more FRIENDLY!!!

• Freebie
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

Hey, Scorp, would it be possible for me to do a vig. with 4 combatants? 'Cause I have a good idea for a 4-combatant lightsaber duel scene which I'd really like to do if possible.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Portrait_Waes%27soloth_Val%27Beldrobbaen

#7 El Taco

El Taco

Two fifty for an eyeball, and a buck and a half for an ear...

• Freebie
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

I'm more an admirer than a builder, so here's a few things other people should make. :P
-Jack Sparrow vs. Will Turner in the rafters in the blacksmith shop.
-Katara vs. Hama in 'The Puppetmaster', from Avatar: TLAB.
-A Space Police figure beating the pulp out of some alien scum.
-The Mountain vs. Oberyn Martell (Or ANY duel from Game of Thrones)
Vignettes that wouldn't really count but should still be made:
-The diner shooting in The Godfather.
-The gunfight at the train station from The Untouchables
-The final Agni Kai from Avatar (Would have to be massive, and thus couldn't count).

Love writing? Need some motivation? Want recognition for your works? Come participate in the SSLF Monthly Writing Challenge!

#8 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpan

• ROOT Admin
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

Hey, Scorp, would it be possible for me to do a vig. with 4 combatants? 'Cause I have a good idea for a 4-combatant lightsaber duel scene which I'd really like to do if possible.

Hmm, I wanted to focus on a fight between two individuals - even three would be pushing it a little - but if you PM me the details of what you're planning (or just post them here), I'll take a look and consider it. ;)
  • P13 likes this

#9 Awrange

Awrange

I mustache you a question...

• Nova Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Already finished my vignette, concerned as to the quality compared to what everyone else may post, but I'm satisfied with it, :lego_soawesome:
Posted Image

#10 JMan

JMan

• Freebie
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

Like I said on the 'pages, I'll definitely be entering this! :D

#11 P13

P13

• Freebie
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

DO dead charactors count
# I17: hey has any body seen the pie that was in the cupboard
# O67: why don't we ask #P13
# P13: what I did'nt eat it *munch munch munch*

#12 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpan

• ROOT Admin
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

DO dead charactors count

As I said in the rules, I would prefer if both characters are alive. It's supposed to be a fight scene, not a death scene.

Unless you mean a dead character who is somehow still up and fighting (undead, perhaps?), in which case, sure!

#13 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Terrible thing, to have your identity taken from you.

• Freebie
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

Someone's gotta do Mal from the Firefly episode Shindig. :D

1973c37c-1a81-44db-a08d-bfcf6fdc5c4d_zps

#14 Mark N.

Mark N.

• Freebie
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

Can there be background characters, that aren't actually part of the duel?

lotion-guitar-is-better-than-air-guitar.

#15 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Princess
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

For the two combatants rule: Would a character using a summoned monster to fight count as just one combatant?

#16 mrscorcher

mrscorcher

• Freebie
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I already sent mine via e-mail! :lego_grin:

#17 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpan

• ROOT Admin
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Can there be background characters, that aren't actually part of the duel?

Yes.

For the two combatants rule: Would a character using a summoned monster to fight count as just one combatant?

Sure, that sounds cool.

#18 O'Mulriain

O'Mulriain

Woodland Master

• Nova Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

Oh... perhaps I should create an entry. Or work on my comic... I haven't been very active lately. Anyways it sounds like an awesome contest. I've got a bunch of ideas already.
God is good.

#19 Mark N.

Mark N.

• Freebie
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Okay, here's my first entry: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/341987

lotion-guitar-is-better-than-air-guitar.

#20 Mjolnir121

Mjolnir121

Mjolnir

• Freebie
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hey Scorp, is it possible to have a rectangular one 27x12? I've already built it and taken photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users