• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#81 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Looks like Torment (3 days left, currently at $3.3 mil) is gonna be pre-rendered (2D) backgrounds like P:E! They promised an animated version of this shot later:

Posted Image

EDIT:

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#82 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

Torment has passed the MCA stretch goal and I finally backed it. Fortunately enough, when I went to go and back it there was one of the $110 Oddity Collector tiers open.

#83 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Torment has passed the MCA stretch goal and I finally backed it. Fortunately enough, when I went to go and back it there was one of the $110 Oddity Collector tiers open.

Nice grab! I updated my journal pledge to that tier as soon as I realized what they were doing with the limited numbers thing. I'm pitiful. Just couldn't resist the lure of the box. And now they're trying to get me to buy digital comic add-ons too. CURSE THEM!

New screenie:
Posted Image

Lookin sweet.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#84 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

Stuff:HOLY CRAP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AUleDEFkUtE

The good stuff starts at about the 1:50 mark.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#85 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Anyone wanna see Road Rash come back? These guys are aiming for it with Road Redemption kickstarter. Currently planned for PC, Linux, Mac. Along with console port stretch goals including WiiU, Xbox and PS4 on the Unity engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqSgvhrjda8

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#86 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

Anyone wanna see Road Rash come back? These guys are aiming for it with Road Redemption kickstarter. Currently planned for PC, Linux, Mac. Along with console port stretch goals including WiiU, Xbox and PS4 on the Unity engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqSgvhrjda8

Yes. All of my yes. Road Rash was awesome back in the day.

#87 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Man, does every Kickstarter use Unity? Must be a good engine. Or just a cheap/easy one. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#88 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Unity is free and open source, so a lot of indie devs use it.

Old timer

#89 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Untextured models of one of the new playable races in Project Eternity:

pe-aumaua-head-wip.jpg

Some extra details on the plotline and setting here. Whoever mentioned humans looking like conquistadors seems to be bang on, as they mention something about colonialism.

Edited by Darknoon, 20 April 2013 - 08:01 PM.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#90 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

So the stretch goals for Divinity are pretty awesome.

Even though Companions and Day/Night cycles are fairly common, I don't think the Divinity series ever had companions and that would definitely add to the story of the game. I don't think they'll reach them though, sadly.

#91 Trevize

Trevize

Creator Otiosus

• 103 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Wow, Divinity: Original Sin is looking great, I've always thought that such a co-op design as this would be really fun. I am mildly skeptical of their claim that their game will have such profound choices and consequences, but if they manage to pull it off, that would be splendid.

#92 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

Son of Nor. It's like Avatar: The Video Game

#93 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Armikrog, a new claymation point-and-click adventure from Doug TenNapel just started kicking.

#94 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

The other day I got my Star Citizen citizenship card in the mail. It's the first bit of physical Kickstarter swag I've actually received. :lol:

Anyway, have some links and pictures:

Project Eternity Updates

Ddvnjrb.jpg

Banner Saga Updates

DY23yYA.jpg

AjsQpkO.jpg

The free multiplayer portion of this game, Factions, has been up on $team for a while now. I played it a couple times but I'm really waiting for the single player campaign.

Torment Updates

ydsCeDX.jpg

Shadowrun Returns Updates

This game's supposed to be released this month! I hope they make it, 'cuz I changed my avatar and everything...

character_creation.jpg

EDIT:  Also...

Wasteland 2

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#95 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Kickstarter for H-Hour: World's Elite. New shooter from the creative director of the original SOCOM games.

#96 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Scorp's Kickstarter RPG Review #1: Shadowrun Returns

srr_01.jpg
So I guess the Shadowrun setting combines Tolkien-esque fantasy, cyberpunk noir, and Native American shamanism... I can deal with that.

INTRO:
So, it appears one of those old-school RPG's I backed on Kickstarter finally came out! To be honest, I only backed Shadowrun Returns at the last minute, and for the minimum amount (at first) because I wasn't sure what kind of game it would be, or how good. I could tell from the start this was not gonna be Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, or Torment. But from the start it has a lot of things going for it. It's isometric, turn-based, party-based, has a solid ruleset behind it, and character customization is pretty extensive. And it has dwarves. Yeah, they pretty much had me at dwarves. So, is it any good? Let's look at the pro's and con's...

srr_02.jpg

Bomm the dwarven Street Samurai, with his trusty axe. Wait, this is cyberpunk?

PRO'S:
  • Good graphics. The game is a mixture of mostly 2D backgrounds with 3D characters, which looks and feels very, very much like Temple of Elemental Evil. I always wished more had been done with the TOEE engine, so I'm perfectly happy about this. Environments are detailed and characters look cool. When I first saw the videos I thought it looked a bit "mobile gamey" but I didn't feel that way at all while playing.
  • Good art style. It strikes a nice balance between realism and cartoony stylization, I think, which suits the dark yet whimsical tone of the fantasy-cyberpunk setting well.
  • Great music. I wasn't expecting to like the music this much, but now I'm glad I got the soundtrack. Combined with the graphics and art style, it creates a great atmosphere.
  • Solid writing. While I've encountered multiple typo's in the text, it's otherwise solidly written, with well-characterized NPC's of the kind that Bethesda simply cannot write that breathe life into the game world. There is no voice acting, but most of their characters have their own voice regardless. Sure, they're mostly archetypes who ain't gonna win a lot of points for originality, but who cares? It works. If anything, I just wish there was more text to read.

srr_06.jpg

Just stay away from the ghost in the bar if you don't want your fourth wall completely and utterly demolished. He's not exactly subtle.
(EDIT: He only shows up for Kickstarter backers.)

PRO'S CONT'D:
  • Skill checks in dialogue. I love me some skill and stat checks in dialogue. They are fairly frequent in this game, though I still wish there were even more.
  • Good engine and combat. I've encountered a few bugs, but overall it's been a very smooth ride. The turn-based combat, even if there's sadly no stealth system, is fun and engaging when the battles get hard (which sadly isn't often enough). The RPG rule system is solid, with plenty of variety in classes, weapons, fighting styles, etc. There's a lot of potential here that the game's Seattle campaign barely touches upon.
  • Editor included. So, here's one opportunity to tap into that potential. I really hope the community turns out some good campaigns with this! I'm tempted to try it myself. Wulfgard 2055, anyone?

srr_04.jpg

Deckers (hackers) can enter the Matrix at key points in the story. And yes, they used the same bloody obvious 'firewall' joke I used in TTOM.

MEH'S:
  • No manual save. This has been a big complaint for a lot of people, but overall I wasn't too bothered. Save checkpoints are frequent, and the game allows you to "rewind" to any previous checkpoint (and optionally create a copy of your current save at the same time), so I didn't find it terribly inconvenient. In some ways I actually appreciate it, since it forces me to stick with decisions I've made instead of save-scumming to get the best possible results. UPDATE: As of recent patches, a manual save system has been added.
  • Too short? Another common complaint I've seen. I finished the game in about 22 hours. A lot of people finished it in less. That's comparatively short, yes, but this is a pretty low-budget game, and there's absolutely no filler. This isn't Dragon Age 2 where you revisit the same areas a hundred times and fight never-ending waves of enemies. Areas and art are seldom re-used, and fights are only there when it makes sense. I wouldn't have minded a few filler side-quests though. But I'll get to complaining about that next...

srr_03.jpg

Battles are only as frequent and long as needed, and nearly all battlefields are visually different.

CON'S:
  • WAY TOO LINEAR. This complaint and the next one are the only big cons for me. Every other complaint is small in comparison. It could be argued that many great RPG's have a linear campaign (Planescape: Torment, for instance), yet this game is really, really on rails. Side-quests are few and far between, you never get the opportunity to return to a previous area, except for the small bar that acts as your base. At only one point did I get the chance to do an entirely optional mission, and it created at least one minor bug in the base when I came back. The developers have said at least once that the next campaign (Berlin) will be less linear. But they haven't really talked about...
  • Needs Choices & Consequences. This campaign is rife with 'fake' dialogue options (that result in the same reply) and choices that may result in slightly different rewards, but have no lasting consequences in the story down the line. There's some variation in dialogue depending on your race/class/gender/skills/stats, but not enough to give it the same replay value as less linear, more C&C-oriented RPG's. It makes the whole game more of an action-RPG in the end.
  • Needs more environment interactivity. There's some here, and when it's there it's good, but there needs to be more. More text popups, more lootables (enemy corpses are not lootable and disappear very quickly), and more alternate paths. Be sure to look around the whole room with your mouse cursor as every character in your party, because certain classes (shamans, deckers, rigger drones, etc.) will get interactivity nodes that only they can see.
  • Too easy. It takes a long time for this game to get hard. I set the difficulty to Very Hard at the get-go, and the game only got challenging at the very end, primarily on the final mission (making it by far the most fun). The rest of it was a cakewalk.
  • Steam DRM. Yeah, I have to complain about this. The devs promised a DRM-free release on Kickstarter, but later said that the rights holders for Shadowrun (Microsoft, I think?) demanded they use Steamworks DRM. In the end, they provided a DRM-free download for Kickstarter backers only, but without patches or community content support. For all that, we'll have shackle our game to a Steam account. *sigh* Oh well.UPDATE: Now available DRM-free on GOG!
  • Cannot create your whole party from scratch. This is kind of a personal complaint of mine. Most players probably won't even notice. But when I play a party-based game in which many or most of your party members don't have any personality or comments to make anyway (as most of the hired runners in this game do not), I really enjoy the option to create said companions myself, like in Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil.

srr_07.jpg

Hiring a team of expendable mercs is fun and all, but an option to create your own team from scratch would have been even more fun.

CONCLUSION:
Overall, the only big problems I have with this game are in the easiness and linearity of the Seattle campaign. I'm not a fan of "open world" games, but a little bit of exploration is expected in an RPG, and meaningful choices & consequences are my favorite feature of the genre. The main campaign here needs a lot more of both.

Yet the game's art, engine, music, and atmosphere are all fantastic. This and its old-school charm won me over fast, and I certainly can't say I didn't enjoy playing. If if later campaigns (and fan campaigns made in the editor) address the above issues, then I can see some really great RPG experiences in this game's future. In the end, I'm glad I backed Shadowrun Returns, and I can only hope this is just the first tiny glimmer of a bright future for the ol' CPRG genre.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#97 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

I'm also holding out for the possibility of multiplayer in the future, because a party of real players would be friggin' awesome.

Also I've never seen that ghostie there before o_O

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#98 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Also I've never seen that ghostie there before o_O

Really? I've heard people say there are a few easter eggs for players with Kickstarter backer reward codes; I guess he could be one of those.

Edit: Yup, he's only there for backers. I forgot he mentioned 'backed me' in the dialogue, lol. Well, you're not missing much. He's actually kind of immersion-breaking.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#99 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Just throwing it out there, if you want a game where you can have control of creating your team, I'd suggest checking out Dragon's Dogma. You can literally make yourself and 1 of your teammates, then recruit other players teammates (or your friends for that matter) and have a rather cool team. It's slightly off topic, but I just thought it would be worth mentioning.

:)

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#100 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Oh, one other con to add to the list for Shadowrun Returns - if you don't pick an Archetype and try to make your own class, you get the same starting loadout no matter what. Which means if you're not good with an SMG, you have to live with it through at least two fights before you reach a gun dealer.

However, since it's on Steam, it's got workshop, and I believe there's already a mod to fix that by giving you a load out to compliment your character's stats rather than your archetype.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users