The Solar Sin

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

Here's the prologue/exposition to keep you in anticipation until next month.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

All shiny effects made myself in gimp with text and boxes in powerpoint. The only effects I didn't make myself is the moon surface, which I couldn't find a way or tutorial that worked, and the newspaper which was just made in a random generator.

As said, this is only a prologue, and this is the piece that will require the most effects...when I finish the sets, the parts will be of much longer length due to less time making pretty effects.

Edited by Darknoon, 14 July 2011 - 06:36 PM.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#2 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Woah, your Earth is astounding! Great job with that!

The story is intriguing as well, I would totally have read more if there was more to read!

emily-blunt.gif

#3 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thanks, and good to hear this created intrigue. This was meant to give insight into the backstory and lead up to the main story whilst introducing a key character and some dates/names. :)

If anybody wants to know how to make a sun/earth of a similar quality I can post some links.
Posted Image

#4 Jlblue

Jlblue

So very blue

• 2,894 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

So far, so good, man. Initially I was worried that it was just going to be about a conflict between the U.S. and Russia, but the addition of a cunning opportunist who (I'm hoping) is the focus makes me really interested.

Oh, and I love the font on the word "sin." Great stuff. :D

Avatar courtesy of Harry Monster

#5 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Member
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

Enjoying this so far. :D

I love the ability to build small scale space stations with LEGo and overlay them on a backdrop of space. It's brilliant. :P

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#6 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:18 AM

This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Sins of a Solar Empire, would it? :P That would be cool, since the game itself doesn't really have a story.

Anyway, yeah, this looks cool. I'll try to keep an eye on it. :)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#7 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

Very cool, Darknoon. My only qualm would be that there's waaaay too many stars. Maybe tone the noise coverage back a bit in future - at the moment it just looks a bit too crowded, in my opinion. The use of microscale is very nice, and certainly a clever strategy. I'll be watching this with great interest.

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#8 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

So far, so good, man. Initially I was worried that it was just going to be about a conflict between the U.S. and Russia, but the addition of a cunning opportunist who (I'm hoping) is the focus makes me really interested.

Oh, and I love the font on the word "sin." Great stuff. :D

Thanks, and I too was worried about the Russia vs America conflict, albeit in the long run there are other events, but seeing as it takes up a large part of the story to begin with, I added a oppurtunist in to give some variety, and his character kind of grew until he's one of the main characters...I was originally contemplating not showing him on screen at all.

Enjoying this so far. :D

I love the ability to build small scale space stations with LEGo and overlay them on a backdrop of space. It's brilliant. :P

Thanks, as a builder I'm not very good at large scale sets, that's more my brothers thing, but I'm pretty good at details and finer things, and I'm glad it worked out well. :)

There was a problem when I realized I actually needed interiors for the ships haha. I've made the interior where most the comic will take place, but I need a few more which my brother and a friend are helping design, one is already technically done, I'm just yet to see it.

This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Sins of a Solar Empire, would it? :P That would be cool, since the game itself doesn't really have a story.

Anyway, yeah, this looks cool. I'll try to keep an eye on it. :)

Actually, as soon as I said the title my brother said it was a rip off of sins of asolar empire, but it was too good to replace. I was originally thinking of something like "the solar secret," but in terms of punch and relevance to story sin fitted much better. I've never even played, or seen the cover art, for the game haha. I only like a few RTS'es, but my brother loves them.

Nice to see you're interested, hopefully this comic will impress.

Very cool, Darknoon. My only qualm would be that there's waaaay too many stars. Maybe tone the noise coverage back a bit in future - at the moment it just looks a bit too crowded, in my opinion. The use of microscale is very nice, and certainly a clever strategy. I'll be watching this with great interest.

Yeah, I'm divided over the stars. There are enough irl to cover the number shown, but it does seem a bit excessive. Also nice to see another person watching this. :)

Edited by Darknoon, 15 July 2011 - 01:53 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Fortiest of all K's

Fortiest of all K's

Mr. President of the Evil Comic Makers' Society

• Nova Member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Ooooh. This is a very original (for the forums) comic. I like it very much so far. I shall be reading this.

The space and planet effects are good, but the ships could use work. The story so far seems to be well thought out and intriguing. I like this Martins character, but at first I misread the newspaper headline as "Martian is world's richest man" and I was like: 'whut?' But that's just my muck-up, no fault on your part.

I'm looking forward to some zero-g sections and spacesuits and other such awesome stuff, which I'm sure you could pull off.

Posted Image

#10 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

One thing I would note is that you've got all your images saved as PNGs, which makes loading reallllllly slow. Might I suggest high-quality JPEGs instead?

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#11 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

Nuclear Satelite? Does that mean it has a nuclear Generator? That doesn't NEccesarily mean WAr you know, you might want to change it to military satelite. The US tried to get nuclear craft to work for years with the ORION project.

And what, no other country exists? Was it just the US, or NATO? But really, that's my only criticism, and I thought it was good.
Also, Railguns FTW.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#12 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

Ooooh. This is a very original (for the forums) comic. I like it very much so far. I shall be reading this.

The space and planet effects are good, but the ships could use work. The story so far seems to be well thought out and intriguing. I like this Martins character, but at first I misread the newspaper headline as "Martian is world's richest man" and I was like: 'whut?' But that's just my muck-up, no fault on your part.

I'm looking forward to some zero-g sections and spacesuits and other such awesome stuff, which I'm sure you could pull off.

Thanks, I figure this board has some great variety with comedy, (Stupid vs awesome) adventure, (search for vilacamba) serious stuff, (anything by JLblue) post-apoc (survivors) and Abstract stuff (anything by Rune Walsh) but I've yet to see any "hard" sci-fi, and at the minute there is no real sci-fi. Perhaps because it is difficult to do well, or perhaps people simply are more interested in other genre's, Either way, I'm a huge Sci-fi fan and will be adding the occasional reference to some Sci-fi in the comic.

I'm pretty happy with the ships, but the US satelites aren't my produest moment. They're not actually models-I just cut up another shot the Russian one in gimp and ctrl c'd+ctrl v'd it three times.

Yep, most of the comic takes place in centrifuges to make things easier, but I have at least one zero g section planned. Spacesuits, less so much but still there. As for other awesome stuff, there'll be plenty. ;)

Co-incidentally, the placeholder title on the generator was "Martian's invade Earth." :P

One thing I would note is that you've got all your images saved as PNGs, which makes loading reallllllly slow. Might I suggest high-quality JPEGs instead?

Yeah, I might try it...orginally, I saved them as PNG as a way to try to get around that black stuff at the top of the logo, which was caused by converting the file I think.

Nuclear Satelite? Does that mean it has a nuclear Generator? That doesn't NEccesarily mean WAr you know, you might want to change it to military satelite. The US tried to get nuclear craft to work for years with the ORION project.

And what, no other country exists? Was it just the US, or NATO? But really, that's my only criticism, and I thought it was good.
Also, Railguns FTW.

I thought it was quite clear, but I did realize it could be misinterpred and made things clear in the "space warfare" part, it's a good point, though.

Besides China, no other countries really have much in space in the way of manned stuff or much interest in it. Originally, I planned to mention how even the small countries tried getting involved, but I didn't think it was relevant, and didn't want to build more stuff for it...Martins' ship in the last image was actuallt something I made to show smaller countries efforts, but I gave up on the idea shortly before I came up with the idea of a oppurtunist billionaire.

I might add the ESA, India and China in it, but not much. Perhaps China and India sided with Russia, and the ESA the US? Bit cold war-esque, though.

I agree though, railguns are awesome.

Edited by Darknoon, 15 July 2011 - 10:03 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

I knew it was military, but the name doesn't really say it to me. I thought prehaps nuclear armed, but then you said they could use railguns, so that theory went down the tubes. I originally wanted Canada in, but that Rich guy is Canadain, that is close enough.
So What did the russian ones use for arments? Lasers? Actually Nuclear Weapons.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#14 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

The Russian satellite only has nuclear armaments.

The American ones have railguns AND nuclear armaments.

Hope that clears things up. I might me more explicit when/if I refer to the satellites again.

Edited by Darknoon, 15 July 2011 - 10:03 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,439 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

Bravo! I've always been fascinated with mini-models, and yours will definitely be a good source of inspiration for me. And you've got a compelling story to boot! I'm definitely going to be following this comic with great interest.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#16 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Woah, I'm glad to have been a source of inspiration. Good to see another watcher, thanks for your praise. I wont post here again till I release a new issue, so thanks in advance to anybody else who reads and comments. :)

Edited by Darknoon, 16 July 2011 - 08:53 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:22 AM

Awesome *bookmark'd*

#18 Doctor

Doctor

Private First Class

• 198 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:26 AM

Woah, I'm glad to have been a source of inspiration. Good to see another watcher, thanks for your praise. I wont post here again till I release a new issue, so thanks in advance to anybody else who reads and comments. :)

\

Intriguing. Normally I find the whole satellite with weapons a bit farfetched but this seems much more realistic, I like the whole space race thing aswell, looking forward to it.

#19 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Just an update, there is a distinct possibility this may not start until after August now as there currently isn't a good day to meet up with the other person making this (sets, rather).

I have a set constructed, so I may post a teaser at some point. Of course, theoretically the sets could be done by late August/early September, in which case there'd be no need for a teaser.

(I'd better to change my sig to "coming soon" lol)
Posted Image

#20 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

Ok, I'm actually considering doing this a year since I started it, because I have the story and characters all finished. I actually have every ship/station etc. I need finished in micro-scale version. I also have the main set constructed. I'm missing some things, which include:
  • A "landing" vehicle type thing-I was meant to borrow one, but never did. I might buy one (or the pieces to build one), or indeed borrow it.
  • Two rooms for the interior of the main ship. It isn't shown in the prologue, but I've built micro-scale and about half of the interior of it, and it's where most of the plot would take part for about the first 1/3-1/2 of the comic.
  • An interior for another ship, though this is partially constructed and is more a matter of needing to a acquire some more generic grey pieces.
  • Some Earth places, namely a mission control centre and some other places. I'd also need an apartment, which I think I built.
So I'd need to acquire some more bricks to do this, so I think I'd probably divide it into 3 "acts," if that doesn't sound too pretentious, to make it more doable, with anything from 2-6 months inbetween acts. The acts would be fairly long, because it has quite a long plotline.

Would anybody be interested? If I build one of the two missing rooms and acquire a landing vehicle, I could finish act one given a month or three for filming and editing. Would anybody read it?

Edited by Darknoon, 06 August 2012 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users