NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

My next RP?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

This is purely a discussion topic, just so everyone knows. I probably won't actually start another Wulfgard RP anytime terribly soon, but don't let that stop you from posting. I'd really love some input/discussion here that will, hopefully, help my next Wulfgard RP succeed where the others have failed.

Anyway, I've always wanted to actually successfully do an awesome Wulfgard RP. I have yet to really do that. I've been thinking about that fact ever since Over the Seas: Part 2 failed, and I've been wanting to do another one.

I have tons of ideas, but frankly I don't really know how well a lot of them would work, and I also don't know what people would like to see. So this topic is just a discussion about whatever Wulfgard RP I'll do next. I plan to try doing Over the Sea again at some point, but not for a while now. I'd like to try a few different things before I attempt Over the Sea again.

So, anyway, here it is: what would you guys like to see in the next Wulfgard RP? This is just a totally open discussion. But here are a few things to think about to get you started:

- Where in Wulfgard would you like the RP to be set?
- Is there any particular culture you'd like the RP to concentrate upon (this kind of coincides with the previous question)?
- What would you like to primarily play as? Imperials? Northmen? Southerners?
- Is there any particular group you'd like to be RPing a member of, or what? Guards? Soldiers? Tribesmen? Pirates? Mercenaries? A band of varied adventurers? Merchants? Whatever?
- Are there any particular characters you'd like to appear in the RP*?

NOTE: The East is completely off limits for any of these things. It's still under heavy development and I couldn't exactly host a RP related to the East right now.

*: I'm afraid I derive an extreme amount of pleasure from including official Wulfgard characters into RPs and letting players interact with them. I always love seeing what the players will do/say/whatever around them/to them and then making them react to that. I just think it's great fun.

I know that not many characters have really been shown at this point, but still. If anyone actually does want me to include Sir Tom Drake, Marshal Lucius Fletcher, Maegan, Sir Scaevius, Kye, and whatnot, then I'll be more than happy to oblige. :P Obviously I can't include all of those at once, so just name one or two that you'd like to "meet." I'd have fun working them into the RP in a believable manner, I'm sure.

Anyway, discuss! :)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

I think it would be fun to play as a group of varied adventurers, but it would end up quite similar to OtS2, with a bunch of guys trying to set out on their own/become leader, and chaos would ensue. Sometimes it could work, but I suggest you do something with soldiers, so that there's always a commanding officer (and if said officer leaves, you can designate a specific player as the leader.

That said, it would be fun to play as Imperial horsemen, perhaps fighting various barbarian tribes, and a bunch of crazy monsters (okay, not too crazy), and fun stuff like that. All while getting deeper into the lore of Wulfgard. I don't know. Maybe that would be lame. Maybe you could do the Inquisition, or Venatori. Something to do with fighting monsters. :D

#3 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:53 AM

The Five…

Just who are, The Five? Some say they are the rightful and ultimate lords of beast and Men alike. None know exactly where they dwell, only that they are aloof from everyone else but their own kind: Werewolves. They can transform at the snap of a finger, at the smell of blood on their noses… Now, most would say that it is sure suicide to attempt and discover where The Five rule… for they are always watching. But I know where they are… heheh. I know where they hide! Whatever your reason for finding them may be – whether you be an exterminator of these wretched things, a werewolf yourself, who desires a cure above all else, or a mad lunatic simply wanting to get a thrill from the unnatural – I can take you to them. I can lead you across the Northrim and to the Edge of the world to find them… I have captured one of them; one who claims to be part of them...

The Quest for the Five begins… heheh. Will you join...?

I kind of like this idea? You know, following some lunatic to something truly grand. Trust him? Maybe not? It is your choice... Maybe not to The Five themselves, but perhaps to Fountain of Youth?
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#4 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:08 AM

I think it would be fun to play as a group of varied adventurers, but it would end up quite similar to OtS2, with a bunch of guys trying to set out on their own/become leader, and chaos would ensue. Sometimes it could work, but I suggest you do something with soldiers, so that there's always a commanding officer (and if said officer leaves, you can designate a specific player as the leader.

That said, it would be fun to play as Imperial horsemen, perhaps fighting various barbarian tribes, and a bunch of crazy monsters (okay, not too crazy), and fun stuff like that. All while getting deeper into the lore of Wulfgard. I don't know. Maybe that would be lame. Maybe you could do the Inquisition, or Venatori. Something to do with fighting monsters. :D

Yeah, the whole mutiny thing was one of the biggest problems plaguing Over the Sea. But hopefully I'd find a way to do that and/or deal with it better than I did for OtS2, seeing as how I hadn't actually even thought of people mutinying against Aquilonis (for some reason).

Fighting monsters, huh? I'll keep that in mind, then. :P

I kind of like this idea? You know, following some lunatic to something truly grand. Trust him? Maybe not? It is your choice... Maybe not to The Five themselves, but perhaps to Fountain of Youth?

It sounds interesting, but I don't really want the RP to be about something as big and important as the Fountain of Youth. I was thinking this could be a smaller RP instead of something that very grand. Something at least on the level of Over the Sea, in which the players were on their way to discovering the mysteries behind this strange new civilization found on islands far, far from the mainland... something interesting and mysterious, but nothing of quite legendary proportions.

As for having it related to the Five somehow, I'll give it some thought. :)

Keep up the ideas! :D I've been wanting to make this topic for a while, but last time I wrote up the post, my computer decided to die so I didn't get to post it, and I got frustrated so I just dropped it for a few weeks. :P

Hm, I wish that I didn't have so much fun working important Wulfgard characters into the RP. I came close to doing that and making it good with another old RP of mine, In Death's Shadow, but I've mostly turned the ideas behind that one into the short story that Scorp and I are (slowly) writing together, so...

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#5 Azoth

Azoth

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

• 1,314 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

1) Eh, setting doesn't bother me. Anywhere is fine :P.
2) Again, not too fussed about the cultures. I think seeing the people of Northrim would be kinda cool, though.
3) Usually, I play as a race of Elves. Occasionally Dwarves. Rarely humans.
4) Hm... I'd have to agree with Bolty on this one. Playing as some guards or soldiers would be kinda neat. Maybe members of the Knights Templar? Or some sort of holy "I purge thee, demon!" kinda order.
5) Again, famous characters appearing doesn't matter much to me.

Posted Image

#6 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:18 AM

I like the idea of something other then just a grand adventure. A more solid plot is what I'm thinking.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#7 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

Well we could always go along with the old idea of treking down into the South (My failed RP of Sands of Death), done right by the creater herself? Or this...

“A plague grows in the north, my brethren. Our village is under siege, brothers and sisters. Our children… will die because of them… Annihilated into the dust by the beasts that roam the marsh. Is this what we want…? Is this what we want for our children?! Witches, dark magic, and beasts dwell in Blekmyr Marsh… and I and determined to rid our people of that black plague… We will send the witches to Hel herself! By Odin’s name, we will send them to Hel! Who’s with me…?”
A grand merriment erupts before the Northern man.
“Very well then… Mark my words, ‘this will be a war like which the Gods themselves have never seen! WHO’S WITH ME?!”
Huzzah!
The war against the Marsh begins. We need your help, brother
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#8 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:28 AM

I like the idea of simple people supplanted into intense situations. A good starting point could be caravan guards - they can go anywhere, be from anywhere but would still give the characters basic skills without making them superheroes. Perhaps the caravan gets raided, the cargo is proven to be some artefact, stolen by the minions of a wizard (ooooh, magic!). Does the party possess the courage to go after it? Of course they do, it'd be boring otherwise. Even mix in some ethical concerns - perhaps the wizard is protecting them from something bigger than they know!

This is just an illustration of my 'simple people, crazy situations' concept, but I think you'll get it.

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#9 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:31 AM

I like the caravan guard idea. A local militia could work too.

#10 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:42 AM

I'd really enjoy playing an RP set in the south but not Southerner south. I wasthinking more like the woodsman bands and centaurs, minotaurs, satyrs, and those Amazon chicks Scorp mentioned. Maybe some shamman is trying to unite various clans of beasol (minotaurs, centaurs, ect.) against the Empire and we playing was Woodsmen/women) have to form a rag-tag couter-offensive?

#11 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

To be honest, I don't really care too much where the RP is set, but I kinda prefer the idea of a rag-tag group of assorted adventurers. I think it adds some nice diversity and distinctions from the party members, and can lead to some neat character development. Also, I'm dying to play as Alys from Fenris' RP that never really got off the ground. :/ Unless he revives that...

But no matter what you do, I beg you keep it small. When there are over thirty people in an RP, it just causes conflict, confusion and chaos. I think that was a major problem with OtS: When you get 30 people all trying to give there input at once, it just turns into a big, arguing mess.

And for me, I can never keep track of anyone. And when there are thirty guys in the RP, I don't really bother too. Plus when you get a huge group of people, all the characters kinda split off into their own little groups and don't interact with or care about any others.

So what I'm saying is that a smaller group equals better character development and interaction, and an overall more fun RPing experience. A big mob of RPers just creates a confusing hot mess.

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#12 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

As long as I get to play Fenric again. :/

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#13 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

The caravan idea is probably my favorite, because it allows for the most diversity. If you want to include a lot of people, maybe you could have two opposing groups, like the guards and the bandits. That way the characters with the most conflicting ideals won't be forced to work together. Also, I find it common that the characters dislike their current leader. This could be solved by having a temporary leader who gets overthrown, and the characters can elect one of their own to be the new one once they get to know one another. Maybe I'm going over the top here, but I'm just throwing around ideas. :D

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#14 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

To be honest, I don't really care too much where the RP is set, but I kinda prefer the idea of a rag-tag group of assorted adventurers. I think it adds some nice diversity and distinctions from the party members, and can lead to some neat character development. Also, I'm dying to play as Alys from Fenris' RP that never really got off the ground. :/ Unless he revives that...

But no matter what you do, I beg you keep it small. When there are over thirty people in an RP, it just causes conflict, confusion and chaos. I think that was a major problem with OtS: When you get 30 people all trying to give there input at once, it just turns into a big, arguing mess.

And for me, I can never keep track of anyone. And when there are thirty guys in the RP, I don't really bother too. Plus when you get a huge group of people, all the characters kinda split off into their own little groups and don't interact with or care about any others.

So what I'm saying is that a smaller group equals better character development and interaction, and an overall more fun RPing experience. A big mob of RPers just creates a confusing hot mess.

^This. Less people. OTS was hard to keep track of because we had so many people that characters were pickpocketing others without any rolls, notice, or reprimand...

You can still be diverse in a woodsmen group. Like a blacksmith who was conscripted to forge for the empire, but he really doesn't want to so he joins the merry men of the wood.

#15 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

It's true that RPs operate better with smaller groups, but with big RPs run by the admins, large crowds are unavoidable. Everyone's going to try to get in on it, and you can't blame anyone for that.

What you could do is choose only the best sign-ups to participate. You don't have to accept everyone who signs up. It might sound like a bad idea, but it functions well in practice.

#16 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

What you could do is choose only the best sign-ups to participate. You don't have to accept everyone who signs up. It might sound like a bad idea, but it functions well in practice.

EXACTLY. Sometimes you just have accept that while all the people who don't get in will bellyache, sometimes just have to say no. They'll get over it, it's just one internet RP, it's not like the world is now meaningles because they didn't get into an Admin-run RP.

#17 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:06 AM

Yeah, I understand perfectly that one of the biggest problems with my RPs (pretty much all of them) has been that there are too many people. I always claim that I won't let many people in, but I always do anyway. I always feel bad when I turn someone down (unless their sign-up is, you know, total garbage - but that rarely, if ever, happens). :P

I'm getting a few wild ideas judging from the suggestions so far. When I form them into something a bit more coherent, I might post them here. But the more discussion, the merrier. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#18 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:47 AM

EXACTLY. Sometimes you just have accept that while all the people who don't get in will bellyache, sometimes just have to say no. They'll get over it, it's just one internet RP, it's not like the world is now meaningles because they didn't get into an Admin-run RP.

See, Wiffles here got rejected from A Cold Wind Blows, and yet he still supports filtered acceptance. It proves the point that it's an effective way of doing things. I know not everyone can role with it like him, which is understandable. Being rejected from an RP will suck. But for an RP to succeed RPers are going to have to understand that they're sign-up might not cut it. It could be for numbers, or even just for compatibility.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing about them Wolfy. ;) Just knowing what we're looking at will be cool.

#19 Ascalon

Ascalon

Legionnaire

• Nova Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:21 AM

Yeah, I understand perfectly that one of the biggest problems with my RPs (pretty much all of them) has been that there are too many people. I always claim that I won't let many people in, but I always do anyway. I always feel bad when I turn someone down (unless their sign-up is, you know, total garbage - but that rarely, if ever, happens). :P

I'm getting a few wild ideas judging from the suggestions so far. When I form them into something a bit more coherent, I might post them here. But the more discussion, the merrier. :P

If turning people down is a problem, you can adapt a technique from the ars maritalis that experienced spouses employ: make someone else the bad guy.

In any case, I condone limited spots. This is just something (most) everyone learns when they try to run big games. Unless you have time, assistance, and wicked organization & marshaling skills, it doesn't work too well on forums. There's also a degree of isolation and disempowerment. There are too many stimuli, and players can't and shouldn't react to everything that happens. In addition, their agency and importance are diluted or disproportionately distributed. Some people may take the spotlight and everyone else is sitting there twiddling their thumbs, or conversely, everyone gets a piece of the pie but then everybody is "special."

Generally I feel less is more. Usually I aim for three or four.

#20 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,191 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

I like Merc's idea. I'd totally be game for that.

lWZ8e6F.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users