News LEGO Art and Writing Forums About Me
Shop Shop: Minifigs Shop: Decals Shop: Accessories Shop: Instructions Shop: Novels

Photo

OnLive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• Super Mod
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

OMG do you guys remember Onlive? That new idea where instead of installing games on your pc, the games are run on servers and the data is streamed to and from your pc instead so in theory any crappy PC will play the most demanding games? You can try out demos and buy a few games on it right now. I just played the new Prince of Persia game on my laptop! The only downside is my internet isn't that great so I got a bit of lag playing and they don't have UK servers yet. But if this thing gets popular then PC game sales will increase massively (cos u dont need a good pc to play)

Anyway I suggest you guys try it out. I'm not much interested in it at the moment as there aren't many games available yet, but if this takes off...

#2 Eeevilz

Eeevilz

Panda.

• Freebie
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:35 AM

Wait, is it cross system play? So you could per say play MW2 with your buddy who actually has an Xbox or PS3?

I would have, but my character got Falcon punched by a were-pire. Wow, that was a weird sentence. :P

Oh God I'm posting my actual political views in the News & Politics topic all serious-like what the heck is wrong with me

Posted Image

#3 Stylus

Stylus

Barkleymonogatari

• Freebie
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:02 AM

Tried it, kept on saying that I have a bad connection, even though I had zero packet loss and low ping. According to other users, something is probably wrong at their end, and has been from launch. I sincerely hope that these problems will be fixed, otherwise it's going under.

On another note, imagine if Steam went with this concept.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius

#4 Moonlight

Moonlight

Don't Think. Feel.

• Nova Member
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:02 AM

Wait, the hell?

It actually works?

Posted Image

#5 D-man

D-man

A soldier follows orders, a warrior follows his heart.

• Freebie
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:20 AM

Wait, the hell?

It actually works?

tumblr_mlmz00PsPA1qbz8aro1_250.gif

Dracarys

#6 Hurricane

Hurricane

2 Year Mission to Brazil! Elder Hurc!

• Retired Mod
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:25 AM

OMG do you guys remember Onlive? That new idea where instead of installing games on your pc, the games are run on servers and the data is streamed to and from your pc instead so in theory any crappy PC will play the most demanding games? You can try out demos and buy a few games on it right now. I just played the new Prince of Persia game on my laptop! The only downside is my internet isn't that great so I got a bit of lag playing and they don't have UK servers yet. But if this thing gets popular then PC game sales will increase massively (cos u dont need a good pc to play)

Anyway I suggest you guys try it out. I'm not much interested in it at the moment as there aren't many games available yet, but if this takes off...

I've been signed on since their founding members program. Haven't played a single game though. I'm too cheap, and it seems too close to steam for me to buy just yet. :P

Pioneer instantAction too. They're going to get big in about a year.

On a two year Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as of Feb 28, 2012 :)

Thanks for being my friends. I'll miss you! be happy!

(Aaaaaalso, Starcaft 2. Protoss for life.)

#7 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

I've been signed on since their founding members program. Haven't played a single game though. I'm too cheap, and it seems too close to steam for me to buy just yet. :P

Pioneer instantAction too. They're going to get big in about a year.

InstantAction are making the Tribes successor, aren't they? I remember being on beta for that.

Still, I'll believe this works when I can run Crysis 2 multiplayer ON A DELL.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#8 Ocelot

Ocelot

RULES OF NATURE

• 3,891 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

I went to their site and downloaded their thing, but when I installed it the progress bar froze in place for ten minutes and then told me it couldn't connect to Onlive's servers and I should try connecting to the internet (to which I was already connected, of course). I guess maybe it doesn't work in Australia. I'm not all that interested in it anyway, at least for myself. I can see it being a great thing for folks who don't have the will to get all up in PC gaming, but as someone who is already all up in PC gaming I have precisely zero use for this. The fervour that surrounded Onlive's introduction has been mostly cut down by the wicked blade of cold reality; playing graphically maxed out PC games on a netbook just isn't feasible through current technology. Luckily the type of people who aren't bothered by Onlive's artefacted 720p streams are exactly the people who aren't PC gamers, so the technical limitations aren't really so much of an issue. And now that you don't have to pay a monthly fee the biggest hurdle seems to be just getting it to work right. Assuming that eventually happens I hope Onlive becomes something real one day rather than something jerks like me decide we ought to try out the uninformed vitriol we spew about it becomes informed vitriol.

#9 Lupus Lycan

Lupus Lycan

This is Rupture Farms.

• Freebie
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Heard about it quite a while back - but I'm still rather skeptical. I'd prefer to wait until I get a job and my own place (with a better net connection), before I dip into any of this. Although, from what I understand the new cables that are being put down are supposed to have a fantastic connection speed.

Micah 7:13: "Notwithstanding the land shall be desolate because of them that dwell therein, for the fruit of their doings."

#10 Hurricane

Hurricane

2 Year Mission to Brazil! Elder Hurc!

• Retired Mod
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

InstantAction are making the Tribes successor, aren't they? I remember being on beta for that.

Still, I'll believe this works when I can run Crysis 2 multiplayer ON A DELL.

Yeah, whenever they actually make it. Called "Fallen Empire: Legions". It was FUUUN and then they had to rewrite everything for html5 or whatever the heck and they still haven't brought it back despite 200+ comments on their monkey island release saying "FTFY, Legions now".

On a two year Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as of Feb 28, 2012 :)

Thanks for being my friends. I'll miss you! be happy!

(Aaaaaalso, Starcaft 2. Protoss for life.)

#11 Kikayoaka

Kikayoaka

There must be some way out of here

• Banned
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Huh, this still exists? I thought it just sorta, went away.

#12 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

I think I'm about to pass a kidney stone

• Nova Member
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

Huh, this still exists? I thought it just sorta, went away.

So did I. But I remember the other one called "Gaikai" as well that arose.

Edited by Michaelangelo, 06 October 2010 - 08:20 PM.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

"Oooh, baby, when you cry, your face is momentary."

Spoiler

#13 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 887 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Wait, is it cross system play? So you could per say play MW2 with your buddy who actually has an Xbox or PS3?

No. Not at all like that. Not yet. If Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo ever decide to partner up then maybe.

So did I. But I remember the other one called "Gaikai" as well that arose.

GaiKai is no longer in contention as Cloud gaming platform. Its more of a different kinda thing now. GaiKai will be kinda the same, but only as a Demo platform for websites to host. Imagine going to a website and playing a full game instead of a flash game on their website. Good thing about GaiKai is hosting such a thing will be cheap as pennies a day. So its a grand idea. The real other contender to OnLive is called OTOY coming in 2011/2012.

http://gaikai.com/

http://otoy.com/

My only problem with OnLive is subscription fee idea is still there. Also gaming on a regular PC will right now still offer a better gaming experience. Even though with OnLive/OTOY it could extend PC/Mac gaming community a bit. Not an unplayable experience, but not best. Still better than what alot can get too with way PCs are sold today with no gaming cards and things like that.

PS4 - 1.84 Tflops GPU
1box - 1.34 Tflops GPU
WiiU - 0.4x Tflops GPU 

Nintendo Next - Rumored specs. Yes they are starting already. 4.6 Tflops? 2.2 Ghz Power8? 4 GB RAM? Likely fake, but the spec numbers could be real aims by 2020?

-----------------------PC Gaming has a bright future. 2013 PC title list!! A little outdated I admit, but still mostly true for most titles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | My twitterbird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#14 Moonlight

Moonlight

Don't Think. Feel.

• Nova Member
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

Didn't OnLive drop the subscription fee?

Posted Image

#15 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 887 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Didn't OnLive drop the subscription fee?

According to what I see its just free trial offer. Just goto onlive.com it says that on every page. Subscription is still there I believe.

PS4 - 1.84 Tflops GPU
1box - 1.34 Tflops GPU
WiiU - 0.4x Tflops GPU 

Nintendo Next - Rumored specs. Yes they are starting already. 4.6 Tflops? 2.2 Ghz Power8? 4 GB RAM? Likely fake, but the spec numbers could be real aims by 2020?

-----------------------PC Gaming has a bright future. 2013 PC title list!! A little outdated I admit, but still mostly true for most titles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | My twitterbird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#16 Stylus

Stylus

Barkleymonogatari

• Freebie
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

According to what I see its just free trial offer. Just goto onlive.com it says that on every page. Subscription is still there I believe.

No, they just need to update the site. It's not subscription based anymore, and you can try out their games in 30 minute trials.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users