• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:54 AM

I actually made this quite a while ago as for an art final, in which I was supposed to replicate a work of art. I chose LEGOs, and since I've always loved ancient history, Rome, etc., I decided The Oath of the Horatii would be an interesting painting to replicate. I made this creation with lots of help from Saber-Scorpion, my big brother, who helped me design the decals on the Romans and also helped me cut out some of the cloth.

A paitning-esque view of the LEGO replica. Several of the items here (the helmets worn by the Romans, one of the swords the father is holding, the spear, the white cap of one of the women, and the father's beard) are from BrickForge, a site that sells great custom LEGO accessories.

I used various cloth materials for the robes and capes worn by the men and women. Originally I was going to make a little easter egg and give the three brothers the heads of some of my favorite characters... one of the faces I did use was my John McClane face, since that one's pretty generic, but I was going to make the other two my Tom face decal, and the other my new Captain Kirk (from Star Trek, or Star Trek 2009 to keep others from getting confused), but then I thought about it and realized that these characters were doomed to die, so I decided to just stay generic. Heheh.

The swords held by the father are taped together and taped into his hand, since he had to hold three swords, and of course I knew minifigs can't possibly do that.

And in case you haven't seen this painting before, or haven't seen it lately, here's a reference image.

Here it is on Brickshelf.

And here it is on MOCPages. Please rate, and feel free to leave a review!

Well, that's all for now. I hope you all like it. Happy New Year!

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:12 AM

This is really good. My only complaint is that in the painting, the woman on right is leaning on the woman on the left's shoulder, while in this it looks like she's just facepalming while sitting next to her. But, other than that, fantastic. Also, when you say here's a reference image, nothing shows up. Although that could just be my computer not working.

Anyway, 9.7/10. Good job, good job.

Edited by Lord Boar, 27 December 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#3 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (Lord Boar @ Dec 27 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is really good. My only complaint is that in the painting, the woman on right is leaning on the woman on the left's shoulder, while in this it looks like she's just facepalming while sitting next to her. But, other than that, fantastic. Also, when you say here's a reference image, nothing shows up. Although that could just be my computer not working.

Anyway, 9.7/10. Good job, good job.

Really dude, these are minifigs! tongue.gif It's hard to do much with them, body-posture-wise.

Anyway, thanks! biggrin.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#4 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (MaverickWerewolf @ Dec 27 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really dude, these are minifigs! tongue.gif It's hard to do much with them, body-posture-wise.

Yeah, everything pretty much has to be at 90 degree angles and be roughly cubical in shape.

But nice job, Wolfy, are you going to put the decals in the shop?

#5 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (MaverickWerewolf @ Dec 27 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, I know. I am something of a... perfectionist, when it comes to theses sort of things, so when one things is out of place, I feel I must mention it. Bah! Pay me no heed, I know not what I am saying! tongue.gif

Your welcome.

#6 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:43 AM

Since Wolfy's isn't showing up.

Anyways, it's a wonderful job. It sticks to it, and the figures match up with the painting. The only problem is that because they're block people, they can't get the dynamic poses of regular human. So we lose the head-leaning, and the child cradling, and the salute. But, it's also that perfect blend of the serious world and the unserious Lego people. I like it.

However, in the painting, the woman in the back. She has a a blue headdress on, but green clothes, and I think there's two kids there. Or at least some sort of doll-looking thing with the kid.

giphy.gif

#7 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Lord Boar @ Dec 27 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, 9.7/10.

Maybe it's just me, but decimal ratings out of ten seem a bit extreme for a LEGO creation unless it's for a contest or something.

Anyway, I enjoyed helping Maegan with this project. It makes me want to do more classical art replicas. Hope you guys like it. smile.gif

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#8 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

Poor kid in the background doesn't know that when he's 16 he'll have to go out there and fight, too. tongue.gif

Nice jobe, my favorite part is the arches.
Old timer

#9 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:43 AM

Great build all in all. The figures were great, no matter a lego man's posing disability tongue.gif . I have to agree with zero, those arches are pretty sweet. Well, again, great build, I hope to see more of your new builds biggrin.gif

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users