• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

One day we'll be nostalgic for disaster

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

“Alright, folks – like the captain said last night, we’re leavin’ today, so… if you haven’t finished your chores yet, get in ruttin’ gear!” said Dan Silverkin with a deep laugh that echoed in the cavernous cargo hold. “Seriously, though. We’ve gotta restock the infirmary – we’ll leave that to you, Doc – Vince needs some new tools and the kitchen needs to be restocked.”
“You ain’t allowed to pick up the food, this time, Dan,” Jamie Frost replied. “We need to have some fruit on this boat every once in a while! I’ll get the food – anyone wanna come with me and give me a hand with carryin’ it?”
“I’ll go, Jei-Jei,” Willow Robbins said, jumping down from her perch on a cryo-tank. “We ought to hurry, though, I want to take another proper shower before we leave.”
As Willow and Jamie walked off, Thomas Lance Hunter, the Vagabond’s first mate, eyed the cryo-tank curiously. He walked over to it and placed a gloved hand on it.
“You know, I’ve never really thought about it before, but… why do we have this, exactly?” he asked. “I mean, really. What purpose does it serve, here?”
“It’s mine,” said Vincent Chang, “and I’d appreciate it if you all stopped treating it like a chair. It’s an expensive piece of equipment and -”
“Alright, alright,” Tom said. “Everyone – stop sittin’ on Vince’s fancy chair, alright?”
Everyone but Doc and Vince snickered.
“Where is Captain Ling, Dan?” Doc asked quietly, startling Vince – he hadn’t been on the ship very long and had only heard her say a handful of words. ‘Unsettling,’ he called it.
“DM’s out looking for passengers,” Dan replied, using the captain’s nickname, “as we need some honest income on this boat.”
Jia, or ‘Doc’, as the crew preferred to call her, nodded, pulled on a black jacket and walked out of the ship silently – Tom followed her. Vince left with a polite nod to Dan and left him alone with the ship.
Dan had been with the Vagabond’s crew for four years and had enjoyed it from the first day he’d set foot on the ship. She was a good ship, too – not the best, of course (after all, DM had won her in a high stakes poker game), but she was still a ship that would treat you well if you treated her well. Dan wasn’t sure if anyone loved this old tub more than he did, and he included the captain in that assumption – this place was more home to him than the bloody, boot-worn trenches of Serenity Valley.
Dan shook his head, dislodging thoughts of the war from his mind; though he hated to think about the war, the frontlines felt familiar to him. In an effort to ignore his swirling memories, he set his pistol on a nearby box and began to dismantle it – when he was done, he cleaned the parts thoroughly with a worn handkerchief from his back pocket and reassembled it again. He admired the weapon – it was a sensor baffling, 38. revolver with an expanded clip; he’d made the modifications himself and was very proud of that fact. If he loved anything more than the Vagabond, it was this. He checked the weapon’s ammo count – he was missing two bullets. He found that slightly odd – he must have forgotten to reload after their last job, he rationalized dismissively, and retrieved two bullets from a pouch on his belt and slid them firmly into the weapon’s chamber. He snapped it shut with a reassuring click.
“Ain’t nothin’ more powerful than a loaded gun,” he muttered wisely.

“So, Doc… have you been enjoying your time on the ship?” Tom asked as they walked back towards the dock, looking into her basket to see what she had bought. Doc just nodded as Tom reached into the basket and grabbed a package. “What exactly is this?” He took a closer look and cringed; he saw a syringe inside with a very long needle. “And why does that need to be so long?”
“It’s pure adrenaline,” Doc said quietly and took the package from Tom. She placed it gently in her basket and said, “It’s for when a surgery patient goes into cardiac arrest.”
Tom shuddered.
“Shiny. Well, hey – if I ever go into cardiac arrest and you’ve gotta use that thing, please… don’t tell me about it, alright?”
Doc laughed softly. A crowd passed by and the two stopped to let them pass – they seemed to be protesting something. When they’d passed, Tom and Doc kept walking.
“Wonder what that was all about…?” Tom muttered. Doc shrugged. “Ah, well. If we need to know, we’ll find out, right? Well, actually, we’d probably get DM or Jamie to find out; they’re both way better with people than anyone else on the ship.”
The pair walked for a while longer in silence – Tom felt awkward not talking, so he tried his best to make conversation.
“So… what’s going on in that big ol’ brain of yours?” he said, breaking the silence.
“Just thinking,” Doc replied quietly.
“That’s not very specific,” Tom said.
“No… it’s not.”
There was an awkward pause before:
“Okay, I realize it’s your business and not mine, but why d’you talk so little? You’ve gotta tell me, it’s been driving me insane for the last little while.”
“Like you said,” Doc replied after pausing for a few moments, “it’s my business.”
They didn’t say another word the whole way back to the ship.

Meanwhile, a few blocks away, Willow and Jamie were looking through boxes of fresh fruit. They had duffle bags full of canned food, the entire crew – other than Dan – loved fruit. Jamie picked up an apple and examined it closely – spotting a small bruise, she placed it back in its box.
“Why are you looking so closely?” Willow asked. “We could buy any of these boxes; they’d be fine.”
“Yeah, I know, Willow, but Dan won’t even touch these unless they’re perfect – besides, no one likes a bruised apple, right?” Jamie replied, grabbing a peach and running her fingers over it lightly.
“Hey, Jamie,” Willow said abruptly, “why doesn’t Dan eat fruit?”
“You’ve never asked him?” Jamie asked, surprised – Willow was typically very curious.
“Well, no… it just always seemed like a touchy subject with him, you know?”
Willow grabbed an apple, tossed it into the air and caught it.
“One of his squad mates was killed by a Grizwald in the war,” Jamie said casually and put the peach back. “Alright, here, let’s get this box and that one. Oh, right – I guess you wouldn’t know what that is, would you? A Grizwald is a pressure-sensitive explosive about the size of a battery,” she added at the look of confusion on Willow’s face. “The Alliance hid them in fruit during the war. It wasn’t… it wasn’t very pretty, let me tell you.”
Jamie shook her head. Willow picked up the box Jamie had indicated, horrified.
“Wuo duh tian ah… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring back… those memories.”
“Don’t worry about it, mei mei,” Jamie said and lifted the other box with a grunt. The pair walked over to the counter and Jamie placed a bill on the counter. “Sheh sheh,” she said to the shopkeeper. “C’mon, let’s get back to the ship.”
“Um… weren’t you in the war, with Dan?”
“Yeah,” Jamie replied, shifting the box’s weight to her other arm. “Same platoon and everything.”
“Then why do you eat fruit, Jei-Jei?”
“I don’t know, Willow. I guess I just get over things faster than Dan,” Jamie replied with a shrug.

Vince had gotten his new tool set and gotten back to the ship before anyone else – Dan had almost shot him as a reaction when he’d entered the bay doors. Luckily, Dan hadn’t reassembled the gun enough to make it battle-ready; the trigger still lay on the nearby box. Vince was quite aware, though, that his brains would be all over the bay doors if the weapon had been assembled completely. He’d hurried out of the cargo bay as fast as he could, run upstairs and gone to the engine room, where he’d placed his new tools in his massive, treasure chest-like tool box – it was a wonder to anyone who’d seen the inside how he kept so many tools in such perfect order. He did, though – he couldn’t stand for his precious tools to be out of order.
Vince walked over to the engine, examining every inch of it and making sure everything was in working order – when he was done with that, he opened a grate hatch in the floor and hefted himself down. He dropped to his hands and knees and crawled around, making sure that no tools had fallen through the grate floor. He loved his tools and he loved the engine – if he had his tools and something to fix or work on, he was a happy man.
He rolled over onto his back and took a good look at the underside of the engine – everything seemed to be in place, so he crawled over to the hatch and pulled himself back up into the main engine room. He closed the grate and looked at the engine once more, satisfied, before locking his tool chest and heading back towards the cargo hold. On his way there, he made sure to make it clear that he was coming, as he was sure that Dan had reassembled his gun and didn’t particularly want to get shot by Dan today.
When he arrived, he saw Tom sitting in the crane control room, hands behind his head and staring at the ceiling. Doc was nowhere to be seen, so Vince assumed that she was in the infirmary, putting her supplies in order. Vince respected the Doctor – she and he were alike, in a way. Still, her not talking did creep him out a bit. Dan had left the box he’d been using as a table, earlier, and was now in the middle of the bay, practicing his quick-drawing skills. Jamie and Willow were walking up the stairs below him with a few boxes and bags – when they reached him, he moved out of the way to let them make their way up to the kitchen. And, standing just outside the cargo bay door talking to some potential passengers, was their captain, DeMarcus Ling.

“As you can see, the Vagabond is a fine ship with plenty of room for you and all of your belongings. The crew won’t pester you if you don’t pester them, but, for the most part, they’re a good natured group. They ain’t too devilish,” DM said with a laugh to the three people who had been interested in getting a ride. One was a young man with premature grey hair – too young to be in the war, DM guessed – a bald old man with a short, white beard and a suitcase that looked much too heavy for him and a young Shepherd carrying nothing but a duffel bag.
“Now, I don’t mean to be overly forward or nothin’, but… let’s talk price, shall we?”
“Price is of no consequence to me,” the old man said softly. “I simply wish to get to my destination quickly and, more importantly, quietly. Can you guarantee that?”
“Well, I don’t think I can guarantee it, but I can certainly try my damnedest. How’s that sound?”
The old man smiled.
“That’s the best I can ask for. The name’s Russell. Warren Russell.”
DM shook his hand.
“I expect a discount, as I am a Shepherd,” said the Shepherd in a high-pitched voice that annoyed DM instantly.
“Bein’ a mite presumptuous, ain’t we?” said the grey-haired young man. “The Captain’s the one who decides the price – just ‘cause you’re a Shepherd, it doesn’t mean that you’ve got some kind of special pull with the rest of the ‘Verse. We ain’t all believers, friend.”
DM liked the man instantly – even though DM wasn’t completely anti-religious, he wasn’t such a zealot that he would give any old Shepherd whatever he wanted. Still, he was a bit disappointed that the negotiation had gone south so quickly.
“Sorry, Shepherd, but the kid’s got it right. No one gets a discount without a very good reason.”
“And you don’t think that being a Shepherd is a good reason?” the Shepherd asked, offended.
“Listen, let’s just get back to talking about price, okay? If you’ve got a problem with not getting special treatment, then I guess you don’t belong on my ship. Think about that for a few seconds before saying another word,” DM said as the Shepherd opened his mouth to reply. “What about you, Mr.….?”
“Winters,” the man replied, shaking Dm’s hand. “Dodge Winters. I can afford to pay fifty credits a month – I can also help out around the ship, too. I’m a fair cook and I’m pretty good with machines.”
“Sounds like a fair trade to me. Welcome to the Vagabond, Mr. Winters.”
But Dodge had stopped listening to DM – he was staring past him, into the busy crowd… where a squad of Alliance soldiers – nicknamed Purple-bellies during the Unification war because of their distinctive armor – was trying their best to move towards the ship covertly.
“I thought you said you could get me to my destination quietly!” Mr. Russell muttered, irritated. DM looked over his shoulder, confused – when he saw the Purple-bellies, his face hardened.
“I said I’d try my damnedest, Mr. Russell, and, apparently, the Alliance doesn’t wanna let me do that. So, if you’re not gonna ride with us, I suggest you just get on outta here, alright?”
Mr. Russell looked as though he was going to argue, but walked off instead, melting into the crowd.
“How ‘bout you two? Preacher? Mr. Winters? You gonna stay on board?” DM said, looking back at them. “Time really is of the essence, here, so if y’all could make your decision quickly…”
Dodge didn’t reply, he just walked onto the ship, carrying his suitcase. The Shepherd waited a few seconds, looking conflicted, before following Dodge. Satisfied, DM followed them onto the ship.
“Everyone,” DM said loudly, “a squad of Purple-bellies – er – Alliance soldiers – is comin’ to check out the ship. As we’ve got nothin’ to hide, we are going to wait here and let them board.”
The were murmurs of both acceptance and annoyance – Dan simply grimaced and walked out of the bay – but the loudest protests came from both Jamie and Tom.
“Captain, I don’t think that that would be smart,” Tom said over Jamie’s curse-filled complaint. “If the Alliance is coming to raid the Vagabond, they must have a reason – I think we should get this bird in the sky as fast as possible.”
“Agreed,” Jamie said and Willow instantly did the same.
“Good thinking, Tom,” DM said, stroking his chin. “You’re right. Alright, then – Willow, Jamie, get us off-planet as fast as you can.” Willow and Jamie both ran up the stairs towards the bridge as fast as they could, one right after the other. “Vince, get to the engine room and -”
“It doesn’t matter, you know. They’ll hunt you down eventually,” said the Shepherd, leaning against the airlock’s wall across from Dodge. Vince stepped out of the bay quietly and Tom drew his revolver. “There was a warrant out for your arrest, DeMarcus Ling. The second I saw you in the tavern I tipped off the Feds.”
DM pulled out his pistol and walked over to the Shepherd – behind him, coming back into the cargo bay was Dan, assault rifle in hand and pointed at the Shepherd.
“I would kill you,” DM said coldly, “but some of the crew would find it to their distaste. Now get off of my ship, you wong ba duhn.”
The Shepherd laughed and began to walk out of the bay doors when the ship lifted off and rose about twelve feet into the air. The Shepherd’s face went pale as he stared down past the edge of the loading dock.
“Captain,” Willow said over the intercom, “my sensors say that the bay doors are still open. What’s going on?”
“Why aren’t you landlocked…?” the Shepherd asked, suddenly very afraid.
“Because we have an amazing pilot, a brilliant mechanic,” Tom said with a venomous grin, “and we’re not exactly friends of the law.”
“Land your ship immediately, DeMarcus Ling or prepare to be fired upon!” yelled one of the Purple-bellies from below – he was ignored.
“I’m going to tell them your names, you know. All of you,” said the Shepherd as he prepared to jump – that was when Dodge sprang into action, landing a very solid punch on the side of the Shepherd’s head, knocking him both unconscious and off the loading deck.
“Never much cared for priests,” he muttered with a sneer as he rubbed his knuckles. He walked back into the bay and DM closed the airlock doors behind him.
“Good punch, kid,” DM said.
“Thank you, Captain.”
“We’re out of here, Captain,” said Willow from over the intercom. “Still, you might want to come up here. Just in case.”
“Alright, Willow, I’ll be right up. Dan, could you show Mr. Winters to his quarters…?”
“’Course, captain. C’mon, Winters. I’ll introduce you to the rest of the crew at dinner. In the meantime, my name’s Dan Silverkin and I’m the ‘public relations officer’ on this here boat, if you know what I mean.”
“Dodge Winters,” said Dodge, shaking Dan’s hand. “So, should I be worried about the Alliance coming down on us, or what?” he added as they emerged from the cargo bay into the ship’s main corridor.
“No, no, don’t worry… if you can punch out an Alliance informant like that, you’ve got nothing to fear from a bunch of Purple-belly cowards. Here you go,” he said, pointing to a ladder near the bridge doors. “That goes down to your room. I’ll leave you to find your way around the ship – I probably ought to get ready. Stick around in the docking bay. If you’re feeling brave again, later, come by my room later – it’s up the ladder, there – and I’ll give you a gun. You can shoot, right?”
“I’m not exactly amazing, but I’m not terrible, either.”
“Good. We may need that mediocrity by the end of the night.” Dan laughed. “I’ll see you later.”
“Alright. I have a quick question, though,” Dodge said as Dan climbed the ladder to his left.
“Yeah?”
“You have any long-nosed .38 revolvers up there?”
Dan just laughed.

See if you can figure out who's who - all the characters are based on someone from the forums.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#2 MSurber90

MSurber90

Okay, I'm lost, uh I'm angry, and I'm armed.

• 326 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:03 AM

Very nice. Liking it so far. Been a fan of the show since someone linked me to the first episode. Damn those hwoon dahns at FOX for canceling it.

Just thought I'd point something out, so as to avoid confusion. When mentioning calibers, the decimal goes before the numbers, otherwise it looks kinda like a period. Think 0.50 caliber, and just drop the first zero. Just a technicality, really.

Edited by MSurber90, 31 May 2009 - 04:41 AM.

#3 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (MSurber90 @ May 31 2009, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice. Liking it so far. Been a fan of the show since someone linked me to the first episode. Damn those hwoon dahns at FOX for canceling it.

Just thought I'd point something out, so as to avoid confusion. When mentioning calibers, the decimal goes before the numbers, otherwise it looks kinda like a period. Think 0.50 caliber, and just drop the first zero. Just a technicality, really.

Thanks. I fixed that, too - I appreciate the input. biggrin.gif

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#4 MSurber90

MSurber90

• 326 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (Osolis Mantis @ May 31 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. I fixed that, too - I appreciate the input. biggrin.gif

Anytime. Guns are kind of my specialty, so if you need anything related to that particular subject I'll do my best to help out. By the way, is Ling based on Merc? I recall him mentioning that name when he spoke of Tales of the Black, though I might be mistaken.

Edited by MSurber90, 31 May 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#5 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, Firefly has to be the best show I've ever watched.

Good story :D

#6 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (MSurber90 @ May 31 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anytime. Guns are kind of my specialty, so if you need anything related to that particular subject I'll do my best to help out. By the way, is Ling based on Merc? I recall him mentioning that name when he spoke of Tales of the Black, though I might be mistaken.

Yeah, you got it. It was the character he made for the RP. And thanks for the offer - I may just end up taking you up on that (as the extent of my gun knowledge is names of weapons XD).

QUOTE (Necrologic @ May 31 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, Firefly has to be the best show I've ever watched.

Good story biggrin.gif

Thanks!

#7 Ross Boutana

Ross Boutana

So fragile, yet so devious...

• 296 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hmm. I like it.
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

#8 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,180 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

I found it slightly sub-standard to your modern stuff, but that could be because you made this ages ago, no? (If memory is correct.)

An updated version, much like you're doing with Rise of the Small, would be quite nice.

QUOTE (MSurber90 @ May 31 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guns are kind of my specialty, so if you need anything related to that particular subject I'll do my best to help out.

Hey! I'm the gun specialist around here!

lWZ8e6F.png

#9 MSurber90

MSurber90

• 326 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Vorgain @ Jun 6 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey! I'm the gun specialist around here!

You're not the only one anymore. tongue.gif

#10 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,180 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (MSurber90 @ Jun 6 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're not the only one anymore. tongue.gif

I will be if I ban you. tongue.gif

lWZ8e6F.png

#11 MSurber90

MSurber90

• 326 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Vorgain @ Jun 6 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be if I ban you. tongue.gif

Now, now. We can settle this in a gentlemanly manner. Pistols at ten paces? tongue.gif

Edited by MSurber90, 06 June 2009 - 08:29 AM.

#12 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,180 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (MSurber90 @ Jun 6 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, now. We can settle this in a gentlemanly manner. Pistols at ten paces?

"Alright, fine. The guy near the door collected a whole mess o' pistols. Let's get this over with."
"If you so wish, any gentleman here may offer you use of a sword."
"Use of a s-what?!"

lWZ8e6F.png

#13 MSurber90

MSurber90

• 326 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (Vorgain @ Jun 6 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Alright, fine. The guy near the door collected a whole mess o' pistols. Let's get this over with."
"If you so wish, any gentleman here may offer you use of a sword."
"Use of a s-what?!"

laugh.gif Nice.

"Mercy is the mark of a great man."
*stab*
"Maybe I'm just a good man."
*stab again*
"I'm alright."

Edited by MSurber90, 06 June 2009 - 08:33 AM.

#14 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,180 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (MSurber90 @ Jun 6 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif Nice.

I've just realized how much we're spammin' Oso's topic. Let's stop, shall we? tongue.gif

lWZ8e6F.png

#15 MSurber90

MSurber90

• 326 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (Vorgain @ Jun 6 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just realized how much we're spammin' Oso's topic. Let's stop, shall we? tongue.gif

Yeah, let's do that.

#16 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, it's a bit old - I'll update it soon enough, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users