• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

You open your eyes and stare into the dim light of your room, illuminated by a single fluorescent strip in the roof. You clamber out of the cold metal-framed bed, wincing as you feel the cramp in your back. Looking around, you take in your far-too-familiar surroundings – the small electrical stove; the steel cupboard in the wall; the shelf of plates and cutlery; the weapons rack, now empty; the intercom, broken and dust-covered; the door, barred and magnetically sealed from the other side; and the blinking control panel, the dim red light of its buttons casting a glow over the dials.

As with every day for the last...three years? Six years? Five minutes? Century? Time hardly matters here – no calendar marks the wall, no light reaches your prison, no counter records the time as it passes. Shaking the thought from your head, you head over to the cupboard and withdraw an unlabelled can. Grabbing a can opener and opening the lid, you look inside at the preserved food – it looks like some mix of spam and vegetables. Shrugging, you reach for the draw and feel around for a spoon. A sharp stab of pain rips through your hand, and you withdraw quickly – crimson blood drips to the floor, pooling at your feet...

It’s dark. You and your squad mates head towards the elevator carriage, hitting the ‘down’ button once you’re inside. A woman stands to your right – she looks nearly thirty, but a combat helmet covers her hair and a flak jacket conceals her body. To your right, a man, nearly fifty, holds his helmet under one arm. His close-cropped silvery hair catches the light, and glints off the pistol strapped to his leg. Like the woman and yourself, he too wears combat armour, and stares at the elevator door with steely determination as it closes. Another four figures crowd the back of the elevator – these figures, however, have their helmet visors down, obscuring their features behind tinted black screens. After what seems an eternity, you reach the bottom of the shaft. As the door opens, you step out, rifle raised to one shoulder, and turn on the flashlight...

You snap back to reality with an audible gasp, and drop the can of food. Cursing as you look down at the spilt meal, you try and scrape whatever unspoiled food you can off the ground. Looking up, you once again catch a glimpse of the control panel, its red light casting a red aura around the room as the bulb in the roof flickers...

You’re in the command room, staring at the control panel in front of you. The door behind you is barred, and a knocking noise signals the things outside trying to break through. To your right, the steely-haired man lies, a wound in the stomach, eyes glazed over in death. Slumped over the table in the middle of the room, you see the woman from your squad, a knife in her back, blood pooling at the base of the table legs. Looking at the control panel, you read the labels above the switches – “Seal Bunker”, “Deadlock Seal Control Room”,”Override Safety Protocols”, and “Activate Protocol OMEGA”. Staring at the control panel for a long while, you look towards the door, taking in the noise of the things outside scratching at the steel, and press the second and last buttons...

In the darkest corner of the room, almost hidden behind the cabinet, a rifle lies, dusty and abandoned, gathering rust slowly. The pale glow from the ammo counter hardly penetrates the darkness, but the numbers are still barely readable – “18/30”. A knife holster lies alongside the weapon, the blade inside coated with red stains and rusted. Outside the sealed door, the bodies of four figures clad in combat armour lie, coated with dust and decayed almost beyond recognition. Bullet casings lie among the corpses, though none of the corpses seems to have had time to un-sling their rifle. Outside the secret military base in Antarctica, the world lies ruined – in a constant state of nuclear winter, the population of Earth wiped out. The human race, as adaptable as they are, is all but extinct.

Inside the room, the pale readout of the control panel flickers into life – “Protocol OMEGA activated...missiles launched...”

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#2 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

Very well written, Grom! The whole story gives you a very despaired, desperate, pessimistic look at the world. The picture only strengths the point you made at the end, the Nukes have blown the Human race to the history books....If there are any books.

#3 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

Quit beautiful, in a saddening way. I like it very much.

But the picture at the very end really gets to you. You didn't make it did you? Source? Cause, it's that final resolution saddening conclusion that I love so much.

giphy.gif

#4 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Feb 25 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very well written, Grom! The whole story gives you a very despaired, desperate, pessimistic look at the world. The picture only strengths the point you made at the end, the Nukes have blown the Human race to the history books....If there are any books.

Thanks. I really would have liked to have extended this story, but the word limit (500 words, which I blew to 700 tongue.gif) was really restricting. I think I might even lengthen it anyway wink.gif.
The picture really struck a chord with me, too. But then again, I love the thought of the apocalypse as a setting for stories - the last remnants of humanity fighting nature and the things they created for their very survival smile.gif...

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Feb 26 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quit beautiful, in a saddening way. I like it very much.

But the picture at the very end really gets to you. You didn't make it did you? Source? Cause, it's that final resolution saddening conclusion that I love so much.

Thanks, Arby.
The picture, I found on Google images. I just looked for apocalyptic cities, and that one came up. It really worked for me, so I decided to nab it tongue.gif.

Just briefly, would any of you like me to continue this story? Flesh it out a bit more, add some more flashbacks leading up to 'you' getting locked in the control room? Because I'd be quite happy to tongue.gif.

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#5 Fortiest of all K's

Fortiest of all K's

Mr. President of the Evil Comic Makers' Society

• Nova Member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

It's a good start. School assignment or something?

Anyway, I'd definitely like to see more, it's a great idea you have there. Though I'm not a fan of the 2nd person format.

It's certainly better than anything I could write at the moment, at any rate.

Posted Image

#6 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Grombrindal @ Feb 26 2009, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just briefly, would any of you like me to continue this story? Flesh it out a bit more, add some more flashbacks leading up to 'you' getting locked in the control room? Because I'd be quite happy to.

YES!

That's another thing I liked, how you had no specific character, just You. You your self are locked in there.

#7 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Fortyk @ Feb 26 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a good start. School assignment or something?

Anyway, I'd definitely like to see more, it's a great idea you have there. Though I'm not a fan of the 2nd person format.

It's certainly better than anything I could write at the moment, at any rate.

Thanks, Fortyk. It was mainly just a homework task, but it's really inspired me to keep writing again tongue.gif.
I chose second-person because I feel it really works for this style of story, and it's a real challenge to write wink.gif.

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Feb 26 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YES!

That's another thing I liked, how you had no specific character, just You. You your self are locked in there.

Glad to see SOMEONE cares tongue.gif.
Yeah, that's what I was really aiming for. It helps draw in the reader and add a sense of immersion biggrin.gif.
Anyway, after a couple of hours of writing, I have a continuation of the story for you! The story above was really just a prelude, showing what happened to the city - now we get into the real guts of the story wink.gif.

You never thought you’d have to kill a man for food in your own city. But you did. He lies at your feet, blood pooling around his torso, a bullet wound in his chest. His glazed-over eyes stare at the sky, and an expression of surprise is plastered across his features. You’d found him the night before – he’d been careless with his fire, and like the smell of blood, it had attracted a predator. He was easy to overcome – all he had to defend himself with was a small-calibre pistol and a switchblade, and you had dispatched him with ease using your scavenged assault rifle. He hadn’t even been able to fire off a shot before you broke his arm, and his death was swift and painless after that...

As you sit by the remains of the dead man’s campfire, you look around his makeshift shelter. It was, by many survivor’s standards, well constructed – built in the remains of two-story building, the basic shape of the rooms was still easily recognisable. A piece of corrugated iron protected a small table from the elements, and a bookcase had been converted for use as a storage area for cans of food and bottled water. A sleeping bag and pillow lay in one corner of the building, and sandbags and wooden planks cordoned off the windows and doorways. Un-slinging your rifle and laying it on the table, you begin searching the desk that occupies the other corner of the room.

A picture frame occupies one corner of the table, and the faded photograph inside shows a man and a woman on their wedding day – presumably the man who now lies several blocks away under a pile of plastic rubbish bags. A diary lays open on the desk, a pen nearby it – surprisingly, it has a date marked on the last entry. You had seldom time for dates after the incident, and days and weeks are only marked by the events that occurred. Finally, you look inside one of the draws. A Bible and a wooden cross lie near the front of the desk, along with two spare clips of ammunition and a flashlight. Grabbing the ammunition and stripping the torch for batteries and the bulb, you take one last look at the religious remnants of a time long gone, and decide to take them along as well. Might make for a good fire starter, you think, tucking them into your backpack. Just as you prepare to search the rest of the building, something underneath the desk catches your eye. Moving the sturdy wooden chair out of the way, you reach under the desk and withdraw a child’s teddy bear, a ribbon tied around its neck...

"Come on," a woman to your right screams, "we won't make it to the quarantine zone in time!" Taking one last glimpse inside your home, you shut the door and run to the car parked in the garage. A young, blonde-haired woman - your wife - is at one of the rear doors, strapping a young boy into a booster seat. Your son is no more than three years old, and you smile fondly at him as you open the driver's door and clamber in, fastening a seatbelt across your chest. Your wife climbs into the passenger seat, shuts the door, and you stamp down on the accelerator.
Driving through the city streets, you look out at the people running down the roads, calling you to stop. "Leave them," your wife says, "we have to look after ourselves." You nod grimly, and cast a fleeting glance over your shoulder. Your son is sleeping, a teddy bear wrapped in his arms, and a smile lights up your features for a brief second. Turning back to the road, you keep driving ever onwards, down stretch after stretch of city street...

Looking at the bear in your arms, you pause for a few moments, before tucking it into your bag with the other meagre possessions the man had left. Stopping to grab a few cans of food from the shelf as you head to the doorway, you grab your rifle and exit the building, making for the city streets. The pale light cast by the sunset illuminates the streets as the sun dips below the horizon. An orange glow lights the city, drawing your eye to the broken vehicles and houses, and the remnants of a barricade up ahead...

"All this appears to be in order, sir. We've got an evacuation vehicle up ahead for officers and their families. If you'll just follow this man..." the sergeant in charge of the command post says, waving to a soldier who had been standing by, rifle pointed down the street. The men stationed at the checkpoint are dressed in combat armour, and carry the same standard-issue military assault rifles that you have slung over one shoulder. Helmets with visors obscure their features, with the exception of the sergeant at the gates and the radioman. The sergeant looks around thirty years old, and has a determined glint in his eyes. The radioman, however, is barely over twenty, and has a wild and panicked look easily visible on his features. The sergeant snaps you a smart salute as you pass him, and you return it casually, not betraying your inward concern.
As you and your wife - your son in her arms - follow after the soldier, you glance around at the checkpoint. The barricade at the front is made from heavy-duty concrete and barbed surrounds the entrance. Large chain-link fences surround the checkpoint, and soldiers manning mounted machine guns survey the area. As you move down the street, soldiers glance at you, and look away, focussed on their task. You finally reach the landing pad and gaze up at the helicopter stationed there. Soldiers surround the landing pad, and industrial floodlights hold the darkness at bay. A small group of people cluster to one side of the pad, three soldiers standing guard over them. As you approach, the lead soldier notices the rank on your uniform and nods at you, gesturing for you to climb aboard the helicopter. As you help your wife and child aboard, the group gathered to the side begin to move over towards the helicopter, only for the soldiers to force them back. “What’s going on?” your wife asks, strapping herself into a seat in the helicopter.
"We're higher priority candidates," you reply, fastening your own harness and signalling the pilot to take off. "They have to wait for the next helicopter, if there is one. Now sit tight - we're headed to one of the bunkers up north." As you finish speaking, the helicopter's blades begin to whirl, and after a few moments, the craft lifts off the ground and heads northwards over the city...

Edited by Grombrindal, 25 February 2009 - 10:11 PM.

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#8 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

Awesome! I like how you add more emotions to the story by showing 'You' with a family, and reflecting over the man 'You' killed.

I know where the last picture is from! Half-Life 2 Concept art! I can tell Gordon Freeman, from a mile away! tongue.gif

#9 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Feb 26 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome! I like how you add more emotions to the story by showing 'You' with a family, and reflecting over the man 'You' killed.

I know where the last picture is from! Half-Life 2 Concept art! I can tell Gordon Freeman, from a mile away! tongue.gif

Thanks. 'Your' family will be one of the key parts in this branch of the story, so I felt forming a bond early and linking it with another man would be an interesting idea wink.gif.
Is it? I just found it on Google tongue.gif.

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#10 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Yep, the little man in the corner has a crowbar if you look closely, and his suit has a faintly glowing yellow symbol. It looks a bit like the Lambda.

#11 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Feb 26 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, the little man in the corner has a crowbar if you look closely, and his suit has a faintly glowing yellow symbol. It looks a bit like the Lambda.

Yeah, I can see some similarities, now that I look closely. I thought the picture just matched the mood of the story, though - one man facing a world of twisted metal and death wink.gif.
I've got more written, but I'll wait for a few more posts before I put it up tongue.gif.

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#12 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Mmm. Very interesting. Kinda suckling me in. The world needs more 2nd person writing. Keep this pumping, and perhaps 2nd Person writing will become popular again.

giphy.gif

#13 Fortiest of all K's

Fortiest of all K's

• Nova Member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hmmm... Kinda reminding me of I am Legend. With the family, helicopter and apocalyptic feel 'n stuff.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens. We need an antagonist (Protagonist? The Bad Guy) though.

Posted Image

#14 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Fortyk @ Feb 27 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens. We need an antagonist (Protagonist? The Bad Guy) though.

Not exactly. What makes this interesting is it's man vs everything. The world, what's left, and whose in it. Those are the antagonists.

giphy.gif

#15 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

Man, the last time I've seen second person was in the old choose your own adventure books.

Really good work so far. smile.gif

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#16 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Feb 27 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mmm. Very interesting. Kinda suckling me in. The world needs more 2nd person writing. Keep this pumping, and perhaps 2nd Person writing will become popular again.

Yeah, second person seems really underrated to me. It's such an excellent writing style when pulled off well...sad.gif

QUOTE (Fortyk @ Feb 27 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm... Kinda reminding me of I am Legend. With the family, helicopter and apocalyptic feel 'n stuff.

Well, I Am Legend was based off one of the very first post-apocalyptic books, so that'd be why tongue.gif.
Danke. As for the antagonist part, see Arby's post...

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Feb 27 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not exactly. What makes this interesting is it's man vs everything. The world, what's left, and whose in it. Those are the antagonists.

That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. Or, at least, showing to you right now tongue.gif. We'll have to wait and see, though biggrin.gif.

QUOTE (Dr. Dood von Doodstormer @ Feb 28 2009, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, the last time I've seen second person was in the old choose your own adventure books.

Really good work so far. smile.gif

Heh. I LOVED those stories biggrin.gif.
Thanks, Dood.

Here's a bit more. Not as long as the other parts, but it's the last chunk of text I managed to come up with before I stopped writing the other night (1,765 words in two-three hours ain't bad, is it tongue.gif?).

You trek through the city for some time, the rifle in hand, safety catch off. Though other survivors were rare, they were still extremely dangerous and often unpredictable. The threat of irradiated creatures was another problem – rats and dogs could be particularly deadly when grown to twice or three times their normal size. After a long but thankfully uneventful trip, you finally reach a large apartment block, mostly intact – a rarity amongst the ruins of the city. Opening the door, you turn on your flashlight and proceed up the stairs into the lobby, rifle at your shoulder.

Upon reaching the lobby, you clear the room and head upstairs. Reaching the first door, you insert a key into the heavy steel door – an addition on your behalf – and open the door. Turning on the lights, you hear the hum of your salvaged generator and a warm but dim light fills your makeshift refuge. A well-stocked kitchen lies to the right of the doorway, various cans of food scattering the bench and shelves. A cupboard to the left of the door contains a variety of weapons and ammunition, from shotguns to hunting rifles. A short-wave radio and a transmitter beacon are positioned in the far right corner of the room, the lights on the switchboard dim. A bedroom lies down the corridor, behind another steel door – this one salvaged from a factory downtown. Placing your backpack on the ground, you place your rifle in the weapons rack at the door and begin unpacking, starting with the bear at the top of the pack...

The craft soars through the air, making a beeline over the open countryside. Looking outside, you take in the unspoiled vistas, spotting numerous small towns as they pass underneath the helicopter. One of the soldiers calls out that you are approaching the bunker, and you nod your understanding. As the helicopter slowly banks in the air, preparing for descent, you see a streak from across the horizon, and follow it with your eyes. Time seems to slow as you watch the streak continue to the city, and you watch in horrified amazement as the skyscrapers are engulfed in fire. An ear-shattering explosion cracks out, and a blast wave spreads from the city, tearing up the forests. As the soldiers shout into their helmet microphones, you turn back to the horizon to the north and watch as another streak, then another and another, race across the sky.

More explosions tear up the landscape, and the shockwave from one rocks the helicopter. The pilot swears as he fights to regain control, and eventually stabilises the craft. You turn your eyes to the military base up ahead, and watch as great holes open up in the ground. At least seven nuclear warheads launch from the holes, one at a time, and rocket into the sky. With sorrow in your heart, you realise what has begun – Protocol OMEGA has been initiated.
The pilot calls out to you that the base is too risky a landing now, as surely whoever fired the first missiles would have noticed the counter-attack. Even as he finishes speaking, an explosion tears through the night air. As you watch the base, some hundred kilometres away, a vast explosion billows outward, blinding you with the flash of light. When your vision returns, all that remains of the base is a levelled landscape – scorched earth is all that remains where buildings once stood, training areas are wiped away, and all that remains of vehicle depots is wrenched and smoking metal. The pilot swears again, and turns the helicopter back in the direction of the now-burning city. “They won’t bomb a city they’ve already hit,” he said in way of explanation, sending the craft tearing across the sky, back to the devastated remains of your home city...

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#17 Iron Corsair

Iron Corsair

Forever Alone

• 1,362 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

Wow, I'm surprised that 'You' have any shelter that's still in tack. Brilliant job, Grom! I wonder what's going to happen 'You's' family, as he doesn't have anyone in his apartment....

#18 Ross Boutana

Ross Boutana

So fragile, yet so devious...

• 296 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

This is particularly excellent and depressign and beautiful when listening to Dance of Death by Iron Maiden.

>.> Almost made me crai.
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

#19 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Iron Corsair @ Mar 2 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I'm surprised that 'You' have any shelter that's still in tack. Brilliant job, Grom! I wonder what's going to happen 'You's' family, as he doesn't have anyone in his apartment....

Well, if you look at pictures of Hiroshima after it was nuked, only parts of it were destroyed. And this city was big - VERY big. More details will be revealed next chapter, though, so stay tuned wink.gif.

QUOTE (Ross Boutana @ Mar 3 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is particularly excellent and depressign and beautiful when listening to Dance of Death by Iron Maiden.

>.> Almost made me crai.

I...think that's a compliment. I'll take it as one anyway, so thanks tongue.gif.

I'll try to write some more today - maybe another 1,500 words or so. Depends on how much study I get done wink.gif.

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#20 Fortiest of all K's

Fortiest of all K's

• Nova Member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

Latest part was great! Eageraly looking forward to the next part!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users