Doodstormer's Sketchbook

• Please log in to reply
1113 replies to this topic

#1081 Araius

Araius

Self-loather

• 106 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

I feel like I need to stick up for the WW2 shooter by pointing out that the major point of the project as a whole is to market myself to employers, and a war shooter makes for a 'safe' option being somewhat more traditional. Besides, we all know the war shooters are about modern/near future stuff these days anyway :P

I'd actually argue that originality and innovation would better sell you and your talents to potential employers. Not to imply that what you have in mind for the Besotten Jenny is neither original nor innovative, but doing something totally different and unique will set you apart from the standard riffraff they see come across their desks or computer screens, show off your vast creativity more, and let them know you've got a wide breadth of ideas concerning aesthetics, design, and gameplay. Then again, I've never been a huge fan of the WW2 shooter genre (or most FPS's, really), so my argument absolutely comes from an incredibly biased viewpoint.

Untitled-1.jpg

#1082 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

A war shooter that'd be more original would probably be about WWI, Korea, or Vietnam. Don't see many games about those wars, although WWI seems to be getting more popular. I'm always for WWII games, but I don't think it's been done to death. There are so many untold stories, many of which we will never know since WWII veterans are a dying breed.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#1083 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

POPULAR

A war shooter that'd be more original would probably be about WWI, Korea, or Vietnam. Don't see many games about those wars, although WWI seems to be getting more popular. I'm always for WWII games, but I don't think it's been done to death. There are so many untold stories, many of which we will never know since WWII veterans are a dying breed.

I think a lot of people have this problem where they think an original story also has to have an original setting to be truly original, which leads to a sort of kneejerk negative reaction to more 'traditional' settings like fantasy, WW2, and most sci-fi. They tend to look at a picture they recognize, go 'oh that's just another X', and completely disregard anything that sets it apart, often missing out on something good. Part of why I really like a lot of stylized games is that the stylization often gives the advantage of surprise on people and therefore they gain a few extra moments to justify themselves, which I find to be a preferable alternative to just shoving on 'original' elements that just make the setting more convoluted and distracting and oftentimes detrimental to the story being told. (i.e. Steampunk, Weird War, Post-1998 WarCraft, the Star Wars Extended Universe, etc.)

Obviously they aren't completely baseless assumptions, since for example with WW2 people have gotten so hung up in this documentary style of story and focus on all the details and accuracy over the narrative structure, both from players and developers. One of my favorite movies, Kelly's Heroes, is a great diversion from this where they take the WW2 setting and break out of that framing in order to tell a good, original story that has very little to no factual basis. On the gaming side of things, while it's technically WWI and not WW2, Valiant Hearts is another great example of a story that respects its setting as a real historical event without subsequently crippling its narrative and gameplay experience in the service of accuracy.

I think WW2 is still a good setting, begging for new, fun stories to be told and break the stereotype that people have come to expect of it without ruining itself. I think the same of a lot of archetypical 'done-to-death' settings like medieval fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc. in that while they have been heavily saturated, their full potential for actual good, fun experiences has yet to be reached. People have gotten afraid of simplicity and familiarity and have thus embarked on this philosophy of gigantic games with thousands of pages of lore and background info that have zero soul to them.

Anyway srs talk aside have a TR-8R since he is my new favorite Star Wars character:

24171371366_7dcc172f75_o.png

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#1084 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,967 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

It's very hard if not impossible to create something truly original. I know from experience as I've created my universes, and all draw inspiration from several different things. Stylized games do have the advantage of people looking at it longer and not simply dismissing it due to it looking like something else, and anything stylized tends to stand the test of time compared to super-ultra-hyper-realistic styles. Although, not a huge fan of steampunk, we had a steampunk project for my art class, and I did a steampunk WWI era piece, which was fun. Was just a soldier with gears and stuff and a Lewis MG with a cog shaped mag. It was also based on an old 2005-2006 RTS.

I think the detailing and super accurate stories is due to maybe people don't want the masses to be given wrong info. I've seen many people call out games based on historical settings where something was off or wrong. I've learned some things from games which were blatantly wrong and I've been called out on it which is never fun.

This reminds me of Destiny where there is apparently great lore and backstory, but tucked away on a website where only those really interested will read.

It's funny how people call out companies for making movies and games that aren't original when everything is copying something else/taking inspiration. I know my favorite project is inspired by Destiny, Star Wars, Halo, Dust 514, WWII, ect., etc..

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#1085 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

Posting and removing the poll since we had the pitch today!

Calamity was selected, with 50 Ton Sword (The #1 pick here) as a runner up. Since I was already prototyping 50 Ton Sword on my own time I will most likely continue it as a personal project, but for now it looks like we're gonna be playing with time travel and/or guns

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#1086 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

POPULAR

hrrrrrraaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhh

IMAGE BARFFF

calamity___chronomarine_exploration_by_d

calamity___rome_by_doodstormer-d9rtey2.p

calamity___rome_exploration_by_doodstorm

calamity___philadelphia_by_doodstormer-d

calamity___philadelphia_exploration_by_d

Calamity - 1st Thesis Pitch - Misc Art

Calamity - First Pass Animatic - Feat. my horribly processed voice as stand-in robo-dialogue

Animatics aren't generally pretty to look at/listen to unless they've been touched up a lot to be so for various purposes (usually marketing), but since you guys really like video games I thought you might like to see some of the kind of stuff that goes into early development just for the fun of it.

branivoj_by_doodstormer-d9torpu.jpg

Branivoj the Anvil - 3D Character Project

widow_blade_1_by_doodstormer-d9rj9ye.png

widow_blade_2_by_doodstormer-d9rja3p.png

Widow Blade - 2nd Pitch Thesis Candidate - Norman widow goes to Hastings for revenge quest (Not chosen)

vendetta_by_doodstormer-d9rja6a.png

Vendetta - 2nd Pitch Thesis Candidate - Hitman has a difficult retirement process (Not Chosen)

grail_by_doodstormer-d9s40tp.png

Grail - 2nd Pitch Thesis Candidate - Pilgrims go on spirit quest (Chosen)

375_by_doodstormer-d9sadgu.png

Misc - 375

these_brooklyn_plumbers_are_badasses_by_

Misc - Brooklyn

green_by_doodstormer-d9tosaa.png

Misc - Green

Have been slaving away on art for Grail atm, so there's going to be a bunch of vis-dev stuff for that in a few weeks most likely. I was going to go ahead and throw it in as WIP for funsies to kind of show how the process goes, but we have a concept artist from Bethesda visiting this week so I'll probably wait until after he takes a look at it in case he has any really good notes/paintover for me. (add more rubble and clutter everywhere)

Posted Image

#1087 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

but we have a concept artist from Bethesda visiting this week so I'll probably wait until after he takes a look at it in case he has any really good notes/paintover for me. (add more rubble and clutter everywhere)

"The color palette needs more grays, perhaps contrasting with some light browns"

Good stuff as always. Who Wants to be an Emperor gave me a good chuckle. Hoping that any finished product gives us more than Ancient Rome and Rebel British Colonies because those are done to death in time travel stories, but they're also very marketable so I can't blame you for focusing some effort onto those. I'm tired and mistook the Triforce for a cannabis leaf at first.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#1088 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerfherder

• Nova Member
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:35 PM

61386990.jpg

#1089 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:35 PM

"The color palette needs more grays, perhaps contrasting with some light browns"

Good stuff as always. Who Wants to be an Emperor gave me a good chuckle. Hoping that any finished product gives us more than Ancient Rome and Rebel British Colonies because those are done to death in time travel stories, but they're also very marketable so I can't blame you for focusing some effort onto those. I'm tired and mistook the Triforce for a cannabis leaf at first.

Yeah, I would have liked to go a little more oddball with the locales, but since it's meant to be a kids' educational game I was having a hard enough time pitching 2 distinct levels + puzzles without them being uncommon historical eras. I've reserved the cooler ones for loading screens/implied content though so if it ends up going through I'll at least have some little tidbits of other periods.

Posted Image

#1090 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:03 PM

POPULAR

So the visiting artist really liked the project, I apparently have the same process and interests as he does so that was fun. Most of his critique was on value structure and to try and lighten up on the Banner Saga similarities

So here's where it's at for the moment:

tumblr_o3v15gleXw1rvmxowo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3v15gleXw1rvmxowo2_1280.jpg

They're pretty close to final stages now so I'll probably spend the rest of the remaining time working on exploratory sketch stuff for low-poly characters and environmental props and what-have-you

Also since it's spring break I doodled up some limited palette characters from my first Zelda game, Link's Awakening so here we go:

25390063320_6abe3bab33_c.jpg

Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game and Crazy Tracy was my favorite, but in retrospect you probably shouldn't buy potions from people that keep rats in the same place they make medicine and/or refer to themselves as 'crazy'

25390063130_6da386c8e2_c.jpg

In spite of a million references to mermaids everywhere in the games, Martha is the only one that you ever actually meet, at the end of the longest trade chain in Zelda history. (This trade chain coincidentally is also the only one that's mandatory to complete the game)

25064175703_bdd671d816_c.jpg

Richard is actually a prince with his own castle and servants but prefers to live in a shack full of frogs even after you've cleared the castle.

He also gets mad if you try to bring a dog into his shack, like bro now is not the time to start getting concerned about animals in your home

25664737796_54d45b771c_c.jpg

Papahl is probably the only person I've ever seen legitimately schedule their own rescue in advance and not be part of some kind of elaborate insurance scam.

25064175983_610e8b7642_c.jpg

King Moblin, kidnapper of """"dogs"""" and one of the great masters of the time-honored Hylian martial art technique, "just bum rush the other bastard full force"

25664737706_b2915f789a_c.jpg

Tarin and Papahl are close competitors for the prestigious tile of "just the worst dad", but Tarin is more ambitious about it since basically every single time you interact with him he's aggressively tempting fate.

Anyway, that's what I've got for now, I'll probably be back with more Grail stuff later once we finish this second round

Posted Image

#1091 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

POPULAR

Time for prepro art dump 2: Get Medieval

I made a lot more art for this since this one has a very different scope than Calamity. Lots of huge vista environments and whatnot.

grail___corner_01_by_doodstormer-d9wzkcx

grail___environment_exploration_01_by_do

grail___environment_exploration_02_by_do

grail___corner_02_by_doodstormer-d9wzkzb

grail___misc_character_exploration_by_do

grail___environment_exploration_03_by_do

grail___wallpaper_by_doodstormer-d9wzmxt

grail___knight_exploration_01_by_doodsto

grail___knight_exploration_02_by_doodsto

Grail - 2nd Thesis Pitch - Misc Explorations and Concept Art

Grail - 2nd Thesis Pitch - Animatic

I would post a giant rambly explanation for the entire concept but honestly I have been working on this for the past several weeks non-stop and wouldn't really know where to start or what you'd want to know so I'll just leave it open for questions since there hasn't been any discussion here for a very long time

Also this has been a great achievement for me in that I have been able to make a game about the Holy Grail without a single dumbass Monty Python joke being parroted at me so don't ruin this okay

Also here are some other things I drew to stay sane:

peachy__by_doodstormer-d9v44p9.png

Peachy!

superman_by_doodstormer-d9wd5t1.png

Superman

So yeah that's the state of things. Later this week the faculty will choose Calamity or Grail (or in a worst-case scenario they choose neither and make me do a third) and based on that choice there will be a bunch of retouching and reiteration and other cool exciting stuff that makes for very dull art posts so this is probably the last one for a few months unless I build up a bunch of new doodles or make entirely new concept art

Posted Image

#1092 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Why can I only like this once?

Seriously, the amount of work put in here (yesIknowit'sforschoolbutcomeon) and quality of said work is mind-blowing, to me. Have you seriously been doing this all on your own?

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1093 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

Why can I only like this once?

Seriously, the amount of work put in here (yesIknowit'sforschoolbutcomeon) and quality of said work is mind-blowing, to me. Have you seriously been doing this all on your own?

Ye, we have the option to work in groups (they actually strongly encourage it since for the faculty that's less projects to deal with) but I went solo for both of mine since most of the groups for this year have been... weak, to put it politely. I think it's a matter of a bunch of students with different interests and mindsets working with equal authority on a project that's meant to be a cohesive whole. Gotta have a chief, I guess.

Posted Image

#1094 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

POPULAR

Here's some extra developmental stuff for Grail, which was the chosen thesis and thus required some quick extras:

grail___corner_03_by_doodstormer-da1790z

Had to make an extra corner in less than half the time spent on the first, so I essentially bashed this one together out of my exploration assets. It still worked out alright though I think, it's another example of my compositional method of "put a giant value contrast on the focal point and hope the rest works itself out"

grail___color_script_by_doodstormer-da17

This is an early color script. They're kind of like thumbnails but for lighting, I think one of the most easily noticed examples of how they're used is The Incredibles, where the lighting and environment colors are extremely bold and blatant.

grail___map_layouts_01_by_doodstormer-da

grail___map_layouts_02_by_doodstormer-da

Maps to help describe the scope of what I'll be making. I will probably start greyboxing it this summer since I've got a pretty big scope of things to build, but at the moment it's all actually fairly manageable. The tricky part is characters.

time_for_adventures_by_doodstormer-da2vf

Something for fun since I've been drawing Grail all semester long at this point

it_s_a_jedi__by_doodstormer-da4pqri.png

make star love not star war

I know Jedi Academy is the one everybody hates but I just like force-pushing everyone off of ledges and playing peek-a-boo with those indestructible sith guys. You also get to shoot Boba Fett with a rocket launcher.

It's interesting to me that a "bad" game then still offers so much content, while a modern "bad" game barely functions.

Posted Image

#1095 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Member
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

Here's some extra developmental stuff for Grail, which was the chosen thesis and thus required some quick extras:

grail___corner_03_by_doodstormer-da1790z

THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL

I WANT THIS GAME RIGHT NOW

#1096 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,123 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

it_s_a_jedi__by_doodstormer-da4pqri.png

make star love not star war

I know Jedi Academy is the one everybody hates but I just like force-pushing everyone off of ledges and playing peek-a-boo with those indestructible sith guys. You also get to shoot Boba Fett with a rocket launcher.

It's interesting to me that a "bad" game then still offers so much content, while a modern "bad" game barely functions.

Who hates JKA? Show me, and I will show them the true power of the dark side.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#1097 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

"Hate" may be a strong term for it, most of what I hear is either issues and limitations relatively common to early 2000's games or people not liking the the storyline which is par for the course with Star Wars.

Honestly the only major gripes I have with it are the difficulties of lightsaber duels (particularly those blue hunchback guys towards the very end that keep doing absorption/protection and are unhittable) which I fully recognize may be my own lack of skill and can be easily compensated for by playing force ping pong with rockets and plasma.

Posted Image

#1098 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:44 PM

POPULAR

arrrrr-t dump, most of these are Path of the Nomad related which I have finally gotten around to making a topic for, check it out here

path_of_the_nomad___the_molossar_empire_

path_of_the_nomad___the_kingdom_of_ursla

Path of the Nomad race pictures for Molossar and Ursland. Still need to get around to the sketches I have for Danaria and Trysony so they'll probably follow along shortly.

fire_by_doodstormer-da7xb49.png

I may only really draw one thing but I'm pretty damn good at drawing that one thing

potn___a_cornered_bear_by_doodstormer-da

Path of the Nomad - An adventuring Agonian Bogatyr is lost in the wilderness of the Eastern Frontier, surrounded by Horse People who will soon learn what happens when you corner a bear.

hardhat_per_03604__john_henry__by_doodst

John Henry, a robo character concept I may use in the future.

Posted Image

#1099 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

I'm especially digging that picture of the Bogatyr. Those fog/mist/blowing snow effects are 20/10 would stare at longingly again.

Also robots and race pictures and long flowing orange hair on people is pretty cool, as usual :P

...So I'll just keep staring and wishing I could come up with a more helpful critique.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1100 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Member
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

*Art*

Literally every time you post here, this is my reaction to the art:

CfVg3Em.gif

I hope that you try to start an RP with this Path of the Nomad stuff, because if you do, I will be the first person to sign up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users