Photo

Elemental Contest #3: EARTH

contest

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Should Win?

Vote for your favorite entry to determine the winner!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

POPULAR

CONTEST IS CLOSED - VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE ENTRY TO DECIDE THE WINNER!

SPARTAN-II 100 (Spider-Bat700):

More images & info here: https://www.devianta...O-Constructions

for_saber_scorpion_com_s_earth_contest__

DragonJedi:
Earth: Hidden Treasures

30098533398_915b34e37f_b.jpg

Nightstalker:

43315297034_de4708635a_z.jpg44034330771_68d7d083a0_z.jpg

Dalton Westmoore:

prasiolite_golem_by_dwestmoore-dck5j2e.j

Lord Capulet:

http://forums.saber-scorpion.com/index.php?showtopic=11336

med_gallery_15330_273_415208.jpg

Elemental Contest #3: EARTH

This is a series of contests themed around a set of fantastical "elements". The first theme was Water. Next, we did FireThe current theme is EARTH. Your entry can be set in any time period or based on any universe. LEGO entries are encouraged, but we also accept other types of artwork!

The only requirement is that the element of EARTH must feature prominently in your entry. By "earth", I primarily mean rocks, dirt, sand, crystals, minerals, caves - even poisonous clouds of gas. NOT PLANTS. Your entry can feature plants, but we'd prefer it to focus on rocks. Plants will probably going to be a separate contest called "life" or something. Also, the earth in your contest should be more than just a background - it should be a central element of the entry. Build a LEGO vignette of people exploring a cave or dodging a rockslide! Or something more creative - it's up to you!

JUDGING & PRIZES

Unlike the other 2 contests, this contest will be judged by a public poll! So, presentation is key - make your entry look as cool as possible in a single image if you can!
There will be 3 winners. Each winner will get a code they can use to take a certain amount of money off one order from my shop (it also subtracts from shipping, so your order can be completely free!) and a medal icon added to their account here on the forums.

1st Place Prize = $24 shop code & gold medal

2nd Place Price = $16 shop code & silver medal

3rd Place Prize = $10 shop code & bronze medal

There may be some "admin's choice" winners too, if we really like an entry that didn't win - and we'll give bonus prizes for entries set in Wulfgard or Nova Refuge too!

HOW TO ENTER & DEADLINE

Just link to your entry in a reply to this topic! Yes, you must have a forum account to enter, and I encourage you to post your entry as a topic in the appropriate board here, like the Construction Zone or Artwork boards. It's not required, but we'd love to have some new members hanging around! You can even host your images in our own Gallery here, which now has a LEGO section anyone can use! But if you prefer, you can still host your images on another website and simply link to them here.

As stated previously, LEGO entries are encouraged, but you can also enter another type of artwork You may submit up to 2 entries. The current deadline is August 15th.

-CONTEST CLOSED-

F.A.Q.

If you have a question about the contest, please ask in a reply! I will paste important questions/answers here.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 The Werewolff

The Werewolff

• 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

Consider me signed up for this! Looks great :D

The other one. 

#3 SPARTAN II-100

SPARTAN II-100

Rookie

• 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

I might give this a try. Would need to look around for Earth-flavored LEGO stuff of mine though.

#4 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

Will get up my entries up at some point.

#5 SPARTAN II-100

SPARTAN II-100

Rookie

• 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:37 AM

So, Scorp, would a LEGO diorama that's a setting/snapshot of an original setting be acceptable?

Also, for my entry, as far as having a link to it, would a link to the images of the diorama as posted on Deviantart be acceptable? Because MOC Pages has been down for a while. 

#6 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

So, Scorp, would a LEGO diorama that's a setting/snapshot of an original setting be acceptable?

Also, for my entry, as far as having a link to it, would a link to the images of the diorama as posted on Deviantart be acceptable? Because MOC Pages has been down for a while. 

Yes to both.

Anywhere you choose to host the images is fine - Flickr, Deviantart, our own forum gallery, etc.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7 The Werewolff

The Werewolff

• 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Honestly, it's been down more than it's been up for the past month. Nothing new admittedly, but still unfortunate.

Edited by The Werewolff, 28 June 2018 - 05:04 PM.

The other one. 

#8 SPARTAN II-100

SPARTAN II-100

Rookie

• 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:29 PM

Yes to both.

Anywhere you choose to host the images is fine - Flickr, Deviantart, our own forum gallery, etc.

Alright! So then, how many images am I allowed for my entry? Just one, or is there not a set number for how many pictures my diorama/entry can have?

#9 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

Honestly, it's been down more than it's been up for the past month. Nothing new admittedly, but still unfortunate.

The owner of MOCpages doesn't seem to care about it anymore. :( People have been asking him on Twitter to update, fix, or even just sell the website, and he either doesn't respond or blocks them. At least, as far as I've seen. Sad, really.

Alright! So then, how many images am I allowed for my entry? Just one, or is there not a set number for how many pictures my diorama/entry can have?

You can post as many images as you like, but you should have 1 main image that's your best one, since the contest judging is a public poll this time, and unfortunately most people tend to look at only 1 image before voting, lol.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#10 SPARTAN II-100

SPARTAN II-100

Rookie

• 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

Alright, here's my entry, finally done and with a solid 20 pics of it in total. I hope you all think it's OK. I didn't exactly have too many "Earth" type bricks and pieces.

https://www.devianta...O-Constructions

#11 SPARTAN II-100

SPARTAN II-100

Rookie

• 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

Huh. Nearing the end of the deadline and I'm still the only entry so far. Odd. I'd have figured at least a few other people would have put forward entries by now.

#12 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

Honestly I forgot about this contest, lol

I will get it up by the time I get back from the Boardwalk Chapel.

#13 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

28661955937_ca32f7dc85_o.jpg

DEADLINE EXTENDED!

Since I might be gone around the end of July, and since we have so few entries, I thought I would extend the deadline and try to drum up some more participants. The new deadline is August 15th!

So get out there and build (or draw) guys! Remember, delve greedily and deep! Feel the strength of the earth! NOTHING BEATS ROCK!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#14 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Oh this is exactly what I was hoping for. Now I know I can make the deadline!
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:13 AM

Will try to get one of my entries up at some point this weekend if all goes well.

Depending on when orders arrive, I may or may not have my second entry be either a MOC or a Drawing.

#16 DragonJedi

DragonJedi

"Dead-Eye Jargon"

• Nova Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Here is my entry for the Earth elemental contest!

It could theoretically be set in Wulfgard, but probably is more just general fantasy illustration than anything else.

#17 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Contest closes the day after tomorrow!

I am reflecting on the failure of this contest. It's interesting, since it comes at a time when my site is getting pretty decent traffic and business, and I'm getting flooded with commission requests. I've advertised the contest on all of my pages, including the front page of the site, and gotten plenty of social media likes, so why won't any of these visitors enter the contest? Some possibilities:

1. The subject. "Elemental Contest: Earth" is not very specific or very inspiring. People aren't sure what kind of contest it is, what it's about, or what the heck they should build. This has been an ongoing problem with the "elemental" contest series, which is why I was planning to end it after last time, but when I held some polls about what my next contest should be, this idea won. Yet, almost no one entered. So, next time I will pick a more concrete idea like "fantasy minifig contest", or perhaps even more specific, like "Wulfgard faction contest" or "fantasy villain contest", for example.
  2. The forums. I required participants to join the Saber-Scorpion's Lair Forums and post their entries here, in the hopes that it would bring new members to SSLF. But instead, it seems to have simply been a barrier to entry. Next time, I'll let people post entries anywhere, and submit them via social media, forums, or email.
  3. The prizes. I'm beginning to wonder if the "$$ worth of stuff from my shop" is the best idea for prizes. It seems like the ideal prize to me, since you get to pick what you want, but perhaps it's too vague or too boring to attract interest. Maybe it would be better to make some unique prizes and include photos of them.

Anyway, unless there's a surprise flood of last-minute entries, I'm going to forego the public poll judging I mentioned in the first post, and instead simply judge the contest myself. (spoiler: everyone who entered will win something!)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#18 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

Entry

43315297034_de4708635a_z.jpg
44034330771_68d7d083a0_z.jpg

Collapsing Cavern

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

Here's mine:

prasiolite_golem_by_dwestmoore-dck5j2e.j

I'm beginning to sense a theme, Guys.

#20 SPARTAN II-100

SPARTAN II-100

Rookie

• 18 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

Contest closes the day after tomorrow!

I am reflecting on the failure of this contest. It's interesting, since it comes at a time when my site is getting pretty decent traffic and business, and I'm getting flooded with commission requests. I've advertised the contest on all of my pages, including the front page of the site, and gotten plenty of social media likes, so why won't any of these visitors enter the contest? Some possibilities:

1. The subject. "Elemental Contest: Earth" is not very specific or very inspiring. People aren't sure what kind of contest it is, what it's about, or what the heck they should build. This has been an ongoing problem with the "elemental" contest series, which is why I was planning to end it after last time, but when I held some polls about what my next contest should be, this idea won. Yet, almost no one entered. So, next time I will pick a more concrete idea like "fantasy minifig contest", or perhaps even more specific, like "Wulfgard faction contest" or "fantasy villain contest", for example.
  2. The forums. I required participants to join the Saber-Scorpion's Lair Forums and post their entries here, in the hopes that it would bring new members to SSLF. But instead, it seems to have simply been a barrier to entry. Next time, I'll let people post entries anywhere, and submit them via social media, forums, or email.
  3. The prizes. I'm beginning to wonder if the "$$ worth of stuff from my shop" is the best idea for prizes. It seems like the ideal prize to me, since you get to pick what you want, but perhaps it's too vague or too boring to attract interest. Maybe it would be better to make some unique prizes and include photos of them.

Anyway, unless there's a surprise flood of last-minute entries, I'm going to forego the public poll judging I mentioned in the first post, and instead simply judge the contest myself. (spoiler: everyone who entered will win something!)

So, if you're to be the judge of all the entries, does that mean I'll get some feedback for my diorama? Because I'd really like that?

Also, we now have four different entries, though only three are listed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users