NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

HELP - Character Death

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Dump the punch, you GET the punch!

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,112 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

This is the help thread for everyone who has questions and concerns regarding PC (player character) death in-game.

Q: Can my character die?

A: The simple answer is: yes, your character can die.

Q: Should I constantly worry about dying?
A:
No, absolutely not! I have never appreciated RPGs in which the player must live in fear of their beloved character dying. I appreciate the simple fact that you took the time and interest to sign up for this RP, and I'm not going to punish you for it. Your character will only die if you do something very, very foolish (and even then, you might get a [probably very unrealistic] second chance, especially depending on your stats), if you disobey rules, or if you want your character to die.

Q: What are some things that could get my character killed?

A: First and foremost, you could disobey the rules of Errant, which will get your character killed pretty quickly. However, you could also do something extremely dangerous in-game.

All encounters should be taken seriously -  even the greatest of heroes can be slain by one well-aimed arrow from a common bandit - but you must be especially wary around monsters. Monsters are the greatest foes of all, and even one monster can potentially take down multiple players (this is why the Venatori exist!). All in all, don't think of this as D&D, where you will encounter and wade through hordes of orcs. Be smart and be tactical. Know your character's limitations.

That isn't to say, however, that I want you to be in constant fear. As stated earlier, your character will only be killed if you do something really crazy, like try to take on an army of orcs singlehandedly, or try to take on a werewolf by yourself just because you think that silver sword will save you. Just don't assume you're invincible, and you'll be fine!

I have personal policies against killing anyone very readily (especially active and dedicated players), and I will almost certainly post a warning of some sort that your character could potentially die, if you start getting yourself into an extremely dangerous situation.

Q: What is "permadeath"?

A: Permadeath is a state of permanent death for your character. This means your character cannot, by any means, be brought back. This will only happen under certain circumstances: the character broke rules and had to be eliminated, the character's soul has already been sent to its eternal rest (their soul was not captured in a soulstone almost immediately after death), or the player requested that their character be permakilled.

Q: Can my character be resurrected?

A: Not conventionally, no; there is no D&D-style resurrection in Wulfgard, just like there are no D&D-style healing spells to instantly treat wounds. The only way a dead character could be brought back to life is if they return as some form of undead, such as a revenant or a vampire. Note that, in order for this to happen, they have to either have already been cursed with vampirism, or their soul has to be captured in a soulstone almost immediately after death (this can only be done near the body).

Q: What should I do if I want my character to die?

A: Just PM me letting me know you want to kill one of your characters. Please also explain why you want to do this. Then, we can arrange for a means of death for your character.

Have a question that wasn't answered? Feel free to post it in the Errant Q&A thread!

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users