Hey, fellas. So Errant has been really quiet lately, and I'm planning to overhaul some things to make it more accessible to people, easier to manage for everyone, and much more free-form and less contained. I'm hoping the changes I have planned will allow for more player freedom, more open-world exploring, more player campaigns, and easier management of everything in general - not to mention some edits to the sign-up system, too.
There seems to be some common misconceptions about Errant, and I need to fix that. It's meant to be open world and anyone can jump in at any time, but a lot of people seem to think that they need to join at some particular moment and catch up on some pre-existing story, which simply isn't true.
Here are a few of the changes in store, which I'm currently working on implementing, but it'll take some time...
- Turning Errant into two subforums, OOC and IC. The OOC board is now open for everyone to post new topics, to try and spur more discussion and campaign ideas, etc., without so much rule-reading and adhering to keeping things contained in little pinned topics.
- Lots of edits to existing topics to allow for more freedom in general. I haven't gotten around to this yet.
- Several topics will become obsolete except for the information they contain, so they'll be consolidated into the info topic, including the Errant Campaigns thread (anyone wanting to propose a new campaign can just start a new topic about it to discuss it and drum up interest; more on that later).
- Separate player/NPC list topics for each campaign. There will also be a generic player list for people not currently on a campaign, who are just exploring the world.
- Separate sign-up threads for each campaign (which will be started by the person proposing the campaign; basically making things more like the G4 sign-up board), as well as a general sign-up thread for people who just want to wander around in the world.
- And more, including some revisions to the sign-up thread to allow for more character customization and less restrictions on skills, etc.
Essentially, the changes will try to focus on Errant as an open world with campaigns created by players.
This topic is for discussing the changes, offering suggestions, etc., and for me to provide updates as I work on things. This'll be a gradual process, especially with my workload, but I'm going to get it done. I'd love to hear thoughts about all this stuff, and suggestions for how to make things better, including the sign-up thread and stuff. I'm open to anything.