NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

General OOC Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#1301 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:50 PM

Okay, so it's been a veeery long time since I've done an update on Defenders of the Immortal Wood, so... is anyone even still interested in that? I'm almost through with midterms, so if people still want to go, I could get it started by this weekend...

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1302 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Supreme Alpha Male. Also the Last Jedi.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:54 AM

Okay, so it's been a veeery long time since I've done an update on Defenders of the Immortal Wood, so... is anyone even still interested in that? 

64378421.jpg

I'm still interested!

#1303 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:36 AM

I'm certainly still interested and I eagerly await.

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#1304 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

"Why are there a bunch of weirdos following us now?" 

"Dunno, Probably they just think we're both incredibly dashing and well-dressed. Even Ghost is handsome. Do you blame them?"

This is probably the best quote in Errant so far. XD

#1305 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

Okay, so it's been a veeery long time since I've done an update on Defenders of the Immortal Wood, so... is anyone even still interested in that? I'm almost through with midterms, so if people still want to go, I could get it started by this weekend...

I'm still up for it.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#1306 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

I was going to have a DM post up in Veritshire last night, but fatigue and internet issues got in the way.  I'm scrambling to finish what I managed to save, but had a lot to do at work until this point, and thus may not have anything posted until later tonight.  Thank you for your patience.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#1307 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

Hey, guys - thought I'd run some ideas by all of you and get some opinions about Errant as a whole. I'd really love to see some responses to this.

Alright, so I'm planning some pretty big changes/updates to Errant this coming Christmas break, when I find the time to actually do them. A lot of it involves simplification, and some of it involves more customization (which may or may not turn into a kind of problem, but I trust you guys to handle it well). Here are a few of the ideas...

- Remove Traits. Let's face it, Traits don't often change much. I try to take them into account, but generally speaking, they're just related to existing skills and can even cause some confusion. For instance, a Street Rat should technically have Acrobatics if they're even good at being a Street Rat - but if they don't, then should they still be treated as if they have Acrobatics? It just adds more complication for me. Traits can generally be worked into a character through both Talents and their Bio, so they're pretty much redundant. The only ones that aren't are Drop-Dead Gorgeous (which is basically Charisma) and Touched by Fate (which I still take into account, but I don't often get to use anymore, as I haven't even had time to DM. Plus, frankly, Drop-Dead Gorgeous adds some confusion, as a character shouldn't take it unless they're both attractive and a good charmer (which means they should really just have Charisma). You can be drop-dead gorgeous without knowing how to "use" it, just based on physical descriptions - the trait basically is giving a free pass for Charisma.

I can see it both ways - keeping Traits or removing them. Removing them would add some simplification in general, but I've been wrestling with whether or not to actually do it. Thoughts?

Alter Talents to be a customized list. By this I mean that the general skills would still be listed and described, but I would allow players to create lists describing their character's specific skill-set as opposed to just having the Talent list with no personalized descriptions for their skills. In other words, you could add skills to your Talents that are not normally under Talents, and I will choose how they are factored into the game and governed by your stats. I would limit everyone to the same Talents as usual (3 for regular characters and 4 for characters with 8 or more INT), but you can choose more unusual things. Basically I would be letting people make up "custom" talents in addition to the ones that are already there.

Here's an example for a potential bard character, for instance. His skills could run thus:

Martial Combat - Given how strong he is, he is quite talented at fighting. He's had standard military training when he was in the militia, so he knows how to use most types of weapons, though he isn't good at horseback combat or particularly skilled in archery.

Charisma - He might be a bit of a wild man, but he's charming and - in spite of his behavior - quite a gentleman.

Acrobatics - Fit and lean, he can move with the best of them - and he even knows how to dance.

Music - Being a bard, he excels at music. He knows how to sing and has an excellent singing voice, and he can play several instruments (including a lute, various types of drums, and various types of guitars). When it comes to his music, he has the presence to command an audience.

Thoughts? Obviously I could figure out more specifics and maybe tweak how this kind of system would work, and whether or not anyone even uses a "custom" talent would be up to them. Alternatively, I could nix "talents" altogether and just let people describe four skills... though that would complicate the involvement of magic... Not that Gifted characters in particular should be common at all.

I have some other ideas, but those are definitely the biggest ones. Just something to think about and discuss.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1308 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

I definitely like the new way of dealing with Talents, because... well, the current amount is a little limiting for non-combat and non-magic characters, I've found. Plus, having a character skilled in McGyvering would be interesting :P

I think I've told you my thoughts on the Traits before, though, and frankly... I'm thinking it'd be better to remove them. I'd say make them more like Archetypes or something, but that already revolves around a character's given Talents, really, so there isn't too much of a point. At the moment, it just seems like an extra - if small - complication to deal with for new players.

#1309 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

While I liked the extra effects that the Traits offered, I can see how they would over-complicate things or create unnecessary redundancies.  

As for additional skills under Talents, I'd be interested to see how that could work, especially with more specific weapon types or character abilities.  For example, the wiki mentions that Ebonguards are trained in crossbows, which could be a powerful addition to Marcus' Martial Combat, though I'm not sure if that would cut into Marksmanship's territory at all.  Maybe it would just remove or reduce the penalty, showing that he knows how to load a crossbow and which end to point, but isn't a deadeye by any stretch of the imagination.

Am I understanding this correctly?

#1310 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

You’ve endured much since we met a few weeks ago..."

Whoa, weeks? And here I've been thinking that it'd been a few days at most, Cappy.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#1311 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

I'll have to check with Wolfy on distances and such, but I did have us skim quite a bit of travel time between Alvar's camp and Veritshire.  I can edit that as needed, though.

#1312 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

Nice job with the seemingly-light question, Cappy. I think you broke my char.  :P

Like, seriously, even I'm not sure where most of that came from —and I wrote it.

Posted Image

#1313 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

I'll address the other posts about the potential Errant changes in a bit, but...

Maugrimm, in the meantime, made his way towards Caiden's scent, quickly finding his way to the Graveyard, and to the Mausoleum of the Onestas and the golden statues.

He immediately plunked himself down next to the other Venator, his tail wagging lazily, as he started with eyes as big as the night sky at him, just begging for a scratch.

Dalton, Caiden's already left the graveyard. He's on horseback again, riding back toward the city.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1314 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Dalton, Caiden's already left the graveyard. He's on horseback again, riding back toward the city.

Okay, I'll just edited it.

Hopefully, Ghost won't cave in Poor Maugrimm's skull. :P

But in the meantime, AGETHAR'S MAKIN' STUFF!

#1315 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:20 AM

I definitely like the new way of dealing with Talents, because... well, the current amount is a little limiting for non-combat and non-magic characters, I've found. Plus, having a character skilled in McGyvering would be interesting :P

I think I've told you my thoughts on the Traits before, though, and frankly... I'm thinking it'd be better to remove them. I'd say make them more like Archetypes or something, but that already revolves around a character's given Talents, really, so there isn't too much of a point. At the moment, it just seems like an extra - if small - complication to deal with for new players.

Sort of? Although I've noticed basically no one in the entire RP has taken Thievery, very few people have ever taken Diplomacy... But yeah, there's definitely an emphasis on combat and/or magic. That's one thing I'd want to fix.

Yeah, I agree. I think I might remove Traits very soon, actually.

While I liked the extra effects that the Traits offered, I can see how they would over-complicate things or create unnecessary redundancies.  

As for additional skills under Talents, I'd be interested to see how that could work, especially with more specific weapon types or character abilities.  For example, the wiki mentions that Ebonguards are trained in crossbows, which could be a powerful addition to Marcus' Martial Combat, though I'm not sure if that would cut into Marksmanship's territory at all.  Maybe it would just remove or reduce the penalty, showing that he knows how to load a crossbow and which end to point, but isn't a deadeye by any stretch of the imagination.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind offering extra Traits, either, but honestly, it's surprisingly hard to come up with some. They kind of went in a direction I didn't even intend. I was trying to come up with more things like Touched by Fate, but that didn't really work out.

Yeah, that's basically something else I could change. I could essentially make each section just some ideas and indicators of how stats are governed. I wouldn't want everyone suddenly having proficiency in both melee and ranged weapons, so I might actually keep that separated somehow, but there could be more specific training depending on your faction and the like. For instance, none of our Venatori players have ever taken Marksmanship, which is completely ridiculous, because Venatori practically only use ranged weapons... :P 

I'll have to give it some more thought and work out the details. In any case, the Talent system is going to get a sizable overhaul and allow for more customization and character specifics, or so I hope.

By the by, could all Arrowfall players try to get some posts up soon? Most of you have posted, but a few haven't. I'd really love to finish that group as soon as I can. I'm going to be extremely busy very soon (I'm having to start some work hours this coming week in addition to all the other crap I have to do, and all of my huge semester projects are coming due very soon as well), and I'd like to get Arrowfall done, since we're so close to the end.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1316 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

Ghostly, one thing I didn't mention is that the Capulets aren't noble.  They practically hold that status with their wealth and influence, but have no formal title, a fact that the few nobles in the city love to emphasize.  Of the six Founding Families that still remain, only two have been granted any sort of hereditary title: House Priscus, family of the city's ruling Steward and head of the local Merchant's Guild, and House Obduro, owners of a valuable diamond mine, the city bank, and most of the rentable warehouses. 

Granted, most regular citizenry like Arryn wouldn't really know the difference anyway.  Still, most of the Founding Families are, at best, the closest thing to a Medieval Upper-Middle class, if that makes sense.

Nice job with the seemingly-light question, Cappy. I think you broke my char.  :P

Like, seriously, even I'm not sure where most of that came from —and I wrote it.

Marcus doesn't take much lightly, he just tries to sound that way to avoid drawing ire.  <.< >.> 

But yeah, sorry about that.  Wasn't expecting that kind of reaction from Neitha, though I'm glad to see she's reciprocating Marcus opening up to her.  Shall we call it a net gain for character development?

But in the meantime, AGETHAR'S MAKIN' STUFF!

Not sure if that theme fits exactly, but it's a great song from a reportedly great show that I haven't managed to watch, so I will allow it.

Don't get too excited, though.  You don't know what job Agethar's going to get stuck with.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind offering extra Traits, either, but honestly, it's surprisingly hard to come up with some. They kind of went in a direction I didn't even intend. I was trying to come up with more things like Touched by Fate, but that didn't really work out.

Yeah, that's basically something else I could change. I could essentially make each section just some ideas and indicators of how stats are governed. I wouldn't want everyone suddenly having proficiency in both melee and ranged weapons, so I might actually keep that separated somehow, but there could be more specific training depending on your faction and the like. For instance, none of our Venatori players have ever taken Marksmanship, which is completely ridiculous, because Venatori practically only use ranged weapons... :P

I'll have to give it some more thought and work out the details. In any case, the Talent system is going to get a sizable overhaul and allow for more customization and character specifics, or so I hope.

Well, that's one of the drawbacks of making up your own game system, I suppose: having to playtest concepts and mechanics.  On the other hand, we get to playtest concepts and mechanics!  I'd say that balances it out.  XD

Yep, the lore, standard equipment, and disciplines of each faction could certainly weigh heavily on customization options.  And yeah, you did mention that Venatori are supposed to rely on ranged weapons primarily, especially since silver is too soft to make most melee weapons.

Splendid!  I look forward to being able to tweak my character accordingly.

#1317 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

Marcus doesn't take much lightly, he just tries to sound that way to avoid drawing ire.  <.< >.> 

But yeah, sorry about that. Wasn't expecting that kind of reaction from Neitha, though I'm glad to see she's reciprocating Marcus opening up to her. Shall we call it a net gain for character development?

I see... Sneaky, sneaky....  <_<

:P 

And, you've got nothing to be sorry for —I was joking in my previous post (hence the " :P ").  :D

But, yeah, TBH I wasn't expecting that reaction either. I guess it's a good thing when your char. manages to surprise even you:huh:

Posted Image

#1318 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

I drew Errant stuff again. Go check it out.

#Shamelessadvertisement

Maybe Wolfy will add those new pics of Kyle and Rock to their character sheets. 

#1319 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

Arrowfall DM post coming Monday night, if I can swing it. Anyone who hasn't posted and wants to get a post in, do so before Monday night, please.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1320 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

On that note, I'm finally free of the grasp of Midterms and have some free time ahead of me, so I'll be posting where I need to soon enough and I will definitely have Defenders of the Immortal Wood up by tonight! :D

EDIT: IT'S A THIIING

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users