In Extremis is the project I've been working on for the better part of time since early 2012. It's a Fantasy adventure set in a high-fantasy universe that's taken a lot of time to work on and it's still growing. Eventually I want to get to the point where I have multiple plot-arcs that take place in the same timeline over several centuries. Right now I'm pretty much smack dab in the middle of the planned plot-arcs that I have, which I believe to be the best story to start with to acquaint people with the universe. The current plot-arc (the only one under production [writing, art and music]) is Before The Wind and follows the story of a young skeleton-pirate named Skeli and an octopus named Dreads.
The links are all images, unless otherwise noted.
- Skeli- The young Avotoc (skeleton people, covered later) that is one of the two main characters of the current plot-arc. He was at one point a trusted member of the community he grew up in but later fell into piracy.
- Dreads- The other main character, an octopus that was cursed by a mysterious figure
- Mik- An Avotoc familiar with weapons whom Skeli and Dreads encountered on their way through the universe
- Ontautt- The eight beings also called deities who created the universe and the other seven Sentient Species. They live on the central celestial body in Omneutta, which dominates the local space (Divine Forge) around it. [Comp1]
- Xiruen- The towering giants of In Extremis and usually have short tempers. They reside in The Outcropping. [Comp1] [Comp2]
- Avotoc- Short, skeleton like creatures that have a close relationship with seas and ice. Their homes in Pale Shores are distinguishable by the stark contrast between the seas, their beaches, and the mountains around them. [Comp1] [Comp2]
- Kettlah- Are the In Extremis connection to the ethereal. They are able to commune with the deceased and some even have the ability to see into the future. They make their homes atop rocky pillars surrounded by mist across Vale Reef. [Comp1] [Comp2] [Comp3] [Comp4]
- Porria- The intellectuals of Omneutta, though that's not to say the other Sentient Species lack intelligence. Their drive to know more leads to constant experimentation and research. Porria cities across Parallelium can be unsightly due to their plain and boring appearance.
- Quarryn- Not really blind since they don't have eyes, but Quarryn rely on their other senses (mainly the touch of their three legs) as well as some sense of heat and air vibrations to navigate. They are very in tune with the natural world, coaxing trees to grow into houses over time in Matriarchal Grove. [Comp1] [Comp2] [Comp3]
- Sha'an- The Sha'an are the magical, fiendish tricksters of Omneutta. They have a penchant for using magical abilities like transformation of self and others. Their communities throughout The Blade are in constant strife and turmoil. [Comp1]
- Turath- Members of The Hilt who live in vibrant, thriving communities. Turath embrace learning, but not with the same blinding focus of the Porria, enabling them to value both form and function. [Comp1]
I've also been writing music to go along with the artwork and the writing(literature), and recently put out an EP. The early and unpolished versions of the work is available on my soundcloud here as a playlist, while the more polished versions are available here as a download.
However, please do keep in mind that these are not the finished versions I plan to release as a soundtrack. These eight tracks are sort of like an artists' sketch as compared to a finished painting. These eight tracks help me outline the instrumentation for each species and their corner of the universe, as well as the melodies, rhythms and overall mood of each area.
I didn't want to throw down too much information in this first post, so I tried to keep it light with just images and the music. If you'd like to see more of my work including all the sketches and concepts I didn't include here (that I will hopefully be posting in the future, should there be interest), you can visit my website. A link is available in my signature.
Edited by Mr. Skeli'n, 15 February 2015 - 12:03 PM.