• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

A picture speaks a thousand words, and in some cases more than a million. Photographers and artists alike try to catch more than words in their photos. They try to catch emotions. 

I might not be a master at capturing a priceless moment with brushes or paints or pencils or charcoal or pastels, but my eye has found its tool -- the camera.

Or in this case, my Galaxy S5. It might not be a Canon or Nikon that do the job a hundred times better, but it's a good place to start as any. The Galaxy S5 has already astounded me with its high-end quality, but I know it doesn't stand close to its masters, which I will not invest in yet. I have already put its limited photoshop abilities to good use, adding a little contrast here and there and sometimes sharpening the images. Other times, the photographs are untouched.

I got my "camera" several months ago and already have several hundred captured images. So let's take a step back in time, and I'll show you one of my first photographs with the Galaxy S5.

This is was taken while in line for Indiana Jones and The Temple for the Forbidden Eye. One of the many things I love about Disneyland Resort in California is its exquisite masterful artwork in capturing its audience, sending them away to this incredible place, a tomb only partially excavated. The lighting and moods are so perfect.
Spoiler

And here's one of my latest ones, taken at The Tournament of the Phoenix in Poway, which took place last week.
Spoiler

Here's a link to my album. I'll be updating this weekly.

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#2 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• 1,504 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

Cool stuff like the one of the lance!

21.jpg

#3 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

The Indiana Jones ride is probably my favorite line to wait in, perhaps only rivaled by Star Tours. Both do a great job of making the wait entertaining and even a little exciting, and both hold a special place in my amusement park heart.

Also, great action shot of the jousting. Pretty good timing to capture the lance right in the process of striking and bending from the stress of impact.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#4 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

Cool stuff like the one of the lance!

Thank you!

The Indiana Jones ride is probably my favorite line to wait in, perhaps only rivaled by Star Tours. Both do a great job of making the wait entertaining and even a little exciting, and both hold a special place in my amusement park heart.

Also, great action shot of the jousting. Pretty good timing to capture the lance right in the process of striking and bending from the stress of impact.

Thank you!

Thanks!

I'll update this topic every Monday with perhaps two or more pictures. Feel free to browse through the album. They're the best ones I've taken so far, and I hope to add more soon.

Posted Image

#5 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

I'll go ahead and give this a quick update on this Halloween night an hour before the sweet dark night's hour of midnight Pacific time.

These pictures have an eerie and mysterious feel to them, I think.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Enjoy. I'm all ears for any healthy criticism.

Posted Image

#6 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

It's MONDAY!!

Here's some shots I took of some of my favorite things.

First is Mal Reynolds from Firefly. The vinyl figure came in my Galactic-themed Loot Crate.

Spoiler

I've always been a fan of nature's miniature items, however this little guy isn't so organic. The plastic mushroom has nestled among the roots of the pine trees that have thrived with eight-legged creatures for the past decade.

Spoiler

Let me know what you think.

Posted Image

#7 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

I'm only an amateur in photography, and an inexperienced one at that, and can bring little objective critique to this thread.  However, I can say that I like what I'm seeing so far.  Your use of lighting looks good so far, and your wide array of subjects is entertaining and compelling.  

So far my favorites are the action shot of the joust and...the plastic mushroom.  Don't ask me why, but the photo just looked particularly good.  :/

Moana-disney-princess-39692805-268-140.g

"We keep our Island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way"

#8 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

I'm only an amateur in photography, and an inexperienced one at that, and can bring little objective critique to this thread.  However, I can say that I like what I'm seeing so far.  Your use of lighting looks good so far, and your wide array of subjects is entertaining and compelling.  

So far my favorites are the action shot of the joust and...the plastic mushroom.  Don't ask me why, but the photo just looked particularly good.  :/

Thank you! A friend of mine who's the son of a professional photographer told me it was a particularly fantastic shot. Keep practicing that photographic eye and different perspectives and rules of threes. You'll never know what will happen next.

Thank you again for the feedback!

Posted Image

#9 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

These are really good, Burngirl! Makes me want to see what I can dust up with my S5 :P. In all seriousness though, well done. Eager to see what else you have.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#10 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:26 PM

These are really good, Burngirl! Makes me want to see what I can dust up with my S5 :P. In all seriousness though, well done. Eager to see what else you have.

Thank you! Cell phone cameras are becoming much more high end. Mess with the settings and see what you get. 

Posted Image

#11 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

Monday, Monday, Monday!

This lantern in the middle of California Adventure intrigued me with its stark red color against the violet/navy blue sky. My ISO might have been a little low. I couldn't figure it out at the time.

Spoiler

At the Tournament of the Phoenix, you'll find all sorts of wares dangling from canvases. Clocks were a favorite to photograph.

Spoiler

I'll bring in a recent one. This was taken in my backyard. The way the glass lantern caught the sun's rays caught my eye.

Spoiler

Here's a link to my album if you'd like to take a look around.

Posted Image

#12 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• 1,504 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:36 PM

Awesome love the glow of the lantern!

21.jpg

#13 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

Very nice! The lamp shot had some almost surreal colors to it, and I really liked how your photo of the hanging clocks turned out.  

Unrelated, is that a mockingjay I spy on the rightmost clock?

We know the way"

#14 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

Awesome love the glow of the lantern!

Thank you!!

Very nice! The lamp shot had some almost surreal colors to it, and I really liked how your photo of the hanging clocks turned out.  

Unrelated, is that a mockingjay I spy on the rightmost clock?

Thank you!!

Yes, that's a mockingjay on the rightmost clock. There were several for sale, but I missed the opportunity. Oh, well. The photo is proof it was there and it's doable. :)

Posted Image

#15 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

Monday!

I almost let this one slip me by.

Okay. Tune into this update and make sure you're working in the normal tuning instead of some fancy B flat or C sharp stuff.

Let me take you back in time a bit before I took the photographs. It's a bright sunny Southern Californian day, and I'm doing dishes by the kitchen window. Lo and behold, my eye catches a faded purple shawl lying on the back of a chair outside.

Soon my studio for the next half hour was underneath a canvass-covered patio area. The light filtered through the canvas in the mid-afternoon just right for my Gibson to shine brightly.

Enjoy.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted Image

#16 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:31 AM

Hmmm, very creative use of that shawl!  I didn't get all the guitar references, but I'll just "play" along.  

What's the significance of the word "burn" on the clip thingy?  Is it the brand, or a slogan of some kind?

We know the way"

#17 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:40 AM

Hmmm, very creative use of that shawl!  I didn't get all the guitar references, but I'll just "play" along.  

What's the significance of the word "burn" on the clip thingy?  Is it the brand, or a slogan of some kind?

Thank you.

I found it around the house, and I thought it added a nice touch to the instrument. If you read my profile, it might make sense why I like it on my instrument.

Posted Image

#18 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Ahh, now I understand.

We know the way"

#19 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

Ah, it's Monday. Time for an update!

I love taking pictures of Disneyland, and one of the best places is the Haunted Mansion when it's decked up for its twisted version of good/bad tidings. This lantern caught my eye while standing in line. The ribbon made it seem like a living thing, spreading its writhing limbs on the walls, crying out in some speechless form of light.

Spoiler

I grew up around guitars, listening to them being played under a masterful player's hands. There's quite a collection of mandolins, guitars, mandolas and other stringed classical instruments used throughout the ages. Some of them 50 years ... and still playable and in good condition. These beauties, young and old, deserve their own spotlight.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Enjoy! Let me know what you think.

Posted Image

#20 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

I like the the shot of the mandolin/banjo/stringed instrument at the bottom there. :P

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users