Sometimes dwelling far beyond the fringes of man's civilizations, sometimes prowling in our midst, sometimes summoned from other realms of existence, exist creatures beyond our understanding. Many are larger, stronger, and faster than us, able to tear us limb from limb or devour us alive. Others possess even darker abilities, able to shatter our fragile minds with otherworldly powers.
Some are beastfolk, cursed in a forgotten age to remain forever in a form that is half man, half animal. Others are hideous mockeries of nobler beings, bred by the Jötnar as minions for their war against the gods - the so-called Chaos Races. Still others are visitors or exiles from other realms of existence: terrifying and twisted demons or physical manifestations of the elements. Some are not even alive - animated or re-animated by the the arcane arts. And then there are those that defy explanation - mutants created by some foul magic long ago, or creatures older than the oldest legends, slumbering away the millennia in the darkest depths.
No matter what their story, men have one name for all of them: monsters.
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create a fearsome monster for the world of Wulfgard! You can do any of the following:
- Design an all-new type of monster and describe its origins.
- Design a sub-race or sub-culture of an existing type of monster.
- Design a unique member of an existing monster race (like the dragon Sturmkrag, for instance) and tell his story.
All you need to do is provide at least one image of the monster and at least one written paragraph telling us about it, and post them both in a reply to this topic. That's it! But please keep reading for more rules and details.
The entry limit is two entries per person.
The current deadline for entries is JUNE 30.
Here are some additional rules and guidelines to consider. Feel free to ask questions, and the answers will be added to the FAQ below.
- The visual representation of your monster must be your own work, but it can be made in any medium. You can draw a picture, create a 3D model, build a LEGO, or whatever! Just give us an image that shows what your monster looks like.
- The written description should tell us about the monster's origins, abilities, and any background story you can provide.
- Your monster should fit into the lore of Wulfgard, but don't let this intimidate you! Wulfgard lore is basically a combination of mythologies from the real world, plus some elements of popular fantasy. It shouldn't be hard to fit in almost any fantasy monster you can imagine without doing a ton of lore research. But to get started, check the wiki and look around. And feel free to ask questions here or in the Wulfgard Q&A topic!
FAQ: (open spoiler box to read)
Your monster will be judged on how unique and interesting it is, the quality of the artwork (regardless of medium), and to some degree how well your monster fits into the Wulfgard lore. It is advised you browse through the Monsters category of the (still under construction) Wulfgard wiki before you start, or at least the categories linked in the intro paragraph to this contest above. Your monster does not need to fall under one of these categories and does not need to be based on mythology at all (in fact, for the purpose of this contest, it should be mostly original), but a little basis in mythology and the lore of Wulfgard will probably help your score.
Images should look clear and well-edited, and the story should be reasonably concise and interesting (and/or funny). Maverick-Werewolf and I will be judging, and we may also recruit volunteer judges from the forum (starting with Nova Members).
The grand prize winner will receive:
- A gold medal icon under their avatar here on SSLF
- A discount code for the Saber-Scorpion's Lair Shop
- Your choice of either a colored drawing of your monster by me, or a custom LEGO minifig of a male or female monster hunter from Wulfgard's elite Venatori (both seen below)! Or, alternatively, any other minifig from the Fantasy section of the shop.
The second place winner will receive a silver medal icon on SSLF, a discount code for my shop (which will include special Wulfgard decals), and a sketch of their monster by me!
The third place winner will receive a bronze medal icon on SSLF and a discount code for my shop (which will include special Wulfgard decals)!
ALL other participants*, regardless of the contest results, will also be eligible for a small discount code!
*the administrators reserve the right to exclude zero-effort or joke entries at their discretion.
- The Wolf Spider by Drac0blade19
- Unnamed monster by ForcedSim
- Reptari by Neyo Wargear
- The Mavet by Amarok
- Gjartlblauhg, the Fallen Dragon, by Fireraven
- Akkar by Flash
- Zombie Robin by TomTheMate
- Jörmen by ZajbakerZ
- Minmatar by Eclipse
- Clarix and the Deathstalkers by Raus 'Kurran
- Ovrigrrsnak, Greater Demon of Gluttony, by DragonJedi
- The Lich Queen of Kemhet by Harry Monster
- Lord Araknos by Patriot 96
- The Void Walkers by Kadawon01
- Kagayaku, The Nine-Tailed Kitsune by Golden-Crusader
- Barqani Fishman by sk1592
- Unnamed monster by HalfBaked139
Contest Ended - See the winners here!