Bionicle

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Tangero2325

Tangero2325

Private

• 80 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

Ironic this topic comes up now. I just unearthed my vast collection so my bro and I could go through them to find what we should sell at our garage sale or not. Safe to say, I'm not selling the first two series (original and Nuva), but everything else is gonna go unfortunately. I'm gonna miss the borak(?) and the Rakshi(once again, question mark on the spelling). Tahu and the ice Toa whose name still evades me were my two favorites. Honestly, in my opinion, Bionicle kinda went downhill once they introduced Metrunui and got rid of the original six. I really want to catch up on the story and comics though; I just loved the story they created.
- Tangero

My Mocpages

#22 Verin

Verin

Go Pens!

• 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Q: What else is cooler than a bio mechanical creature?
A: Gundams.

I like the early Bionicles. I still have the original six Toa put assembled. I don't like the newer ones as much.
Three Rivers - Three Teams

#23 Xarky

Xarky

SSLF's self-proclaimed #1 Magnum Coyote fan

• Nova Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

I still have aall of my Bionicles, but I am thinking of selling them, but Im not sure yet. I do build with them occaisonally, so I'm leanin twards keepin them. Andd yeah, it would be nice to have an all bioncle topic for here.
Posted Image

#24 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

Bionicle has returned:

http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Patriot 96

Patriot 96

Lego fan

• Nova Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

Indeed. R.I.P. Hero Factory. Your lack of story was your demise.  :lego_hm:

And by the way, lego hasn't shown all their new characters

http://lego.wikia.co...4.JPG#filelinks

Edited by Patriot 96, 09 October 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#26 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

I'm both really excited that one of my favourite childhood themes is back, and annoyed about the reboot. I always loved Bionicle's rich, convoluted mythology, and this seems very very simplified and hero factoried.

It's like Star Wars all over again. Love the idea of the new films, love Rebels, massively sore over the EU.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#27 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

The old Bionicle storyline pretty much went to crap after 2004 or so. As soon as they introduced Metru Nui it was all downhill from there.

A reboot is probably what they should have just done in the first place instead of all the ridiculous retconning.

2004-2018

#28 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'll respectfully disagree, I loved it all (with the possible exception of the Glatorian).

I really hope they go back to the old style rather than the hero factory build style.

#29 Patriot 96

Patriot 96

Lego fan

• Nova Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

Agreed. Maybe a new system for the reboot?

#30 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

I'll respectfully disagree, I loved it all (with the possible exception of the Glatorian).

To each his own, I guess. I just really liked the original setting/storyline so it peeved me off when they decided to basically retcon it out of existence. :shrug:

2004-2018

#31 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

For me that was part of the appeal, it seemed like the original story was the Turaga's way of explaining this crazily advanced science, I actually like the big reveal later.

There have always been alternate universes in Bionicle, so that's how I'm reconciling the reboot with the original story.

#32 Patriot 96

Patriot 96

Lego fan

• Nova Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

For me that was part of the appeal, it seemed like the original story was the Turaga's way of explaining this crazily advanced science, I actually like the big reveal later.

There have always been alternate universes in Bionicle, so that's how I'm reconciling the reboot with the original story.

He he, funny thing. They aren't continuing it. They're remaking it. Makuta is back, but Mata Nui gets renamed. Oh and they're mask makers who have Cain & Abel style relationship.
We'll see if it is any good.

#33 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:38 AM

That's what I meant. I'm seeing this as an alternate universe to the old one, as it is so different, just like we saw different universes in the online stories.

#34 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

POPULAR

I always knew they would do a dramatic comeback for Bionicle. Unfortunately this doesn't look enough like classic Bionicle to trigger my nostalgia, so I'm not feeling very interested. They look too bulky and mechanical. The parts of old Bionicle I liked were the mysterious tribal stuff, but I see they're still de-emphasizing that. At first I thought they had renamed Onua too, but it looks like that's just a typo on one page...

They need to bring back that old Flash adventure game where you explore the island. Loved that thing. :D

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#35 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

Set Review: 70787 Tahu- Master of Fire (Comic Con:

After seeing it in action here I actually really like this, particularly the return of gears.

I just discovered we do actually have a Bionicle topic (from 2010), is it worth moving Bionicle discussion over there to save clogging up the news thread?

#36 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, I went ahead and moved them. This board could use some activity outside the megathread anyway.

So, that set: Eh, looks too Hero Factory-esque for my tastes. I'd really love it if they did for all the original Toa what they did for Tahu back in that Bionicle Stars thing they did before retiring the line - remake them with better construction and pose-ability, but keeping their original masks and weapons. I'd buy all of them if they did that.

2004-2018

#37 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

I have a feeling the original moulds have probably been buried by now.

It does look very different, but the hype has finally got to me. I'm glad that it's a reboot with the Hero Factory style. If it was the same continuity it would seem much more out of place.

But I am very happy about posable AND geared arms. Awesome.

My Lego borderline OCD means I am going to have to store the new sets separately to the old due to a new canon, there goes my storage space.

#38 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

Dangit...

Confirmed must-buy status for all the toa, pretty much, based on that video. I get why you guys might like the classic ones more, but I only ever had Onua, and I'm perfectly okay with updated pieces. One of the best things, IMO, is that the masks look like the animated versions did... No more confusion for me over why in the movie everything looked so un-bionicle.

They're going to make another Bionicle movie now, right?

#39 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:18 AM

I wasn't convinced until I saw the animated versions of each Toa. I really get what they're doing now.

I'm hoping that they'll be doing a movie in that style. It reminds me of the Tartakovsky Clone Wars.

#40 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

I feel like I don't want the story to be written over. I'm too stressed out from worrying about Star Wars episode VII.
However, some the sets look very nice, especially Pohatu, who is just perfect. I miss the old bolts and gears, but they might edge back into that style. The animations I saw were very nice, too.

I guess I'm excited to see what comes out of it. I just hope that they (A) kept Greg Farshtey and (B) somehow kept the original story line.

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users