Photo

Gaming PC Enthusiast/Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

Thanks everyone. One more question. I'm eyeing a Nvidia 1060 and a 1070. They are about 150-200 dollar price difference. Is the difference in power worth that kind of jump in price? I'm not a cheapskate, but since I really only want 1080p60fps would paying more be overkill?

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#62 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

Given I have a GTX 970m and I can run all current games at 1080 and 60 FPS on maxed settings, I'd say that you'd probably be fine getting the slightly less expensive card, especially with the current ceiling of consoles generally holding PC graphics back. Plus, when it comes to the very newest cards, the price jump can be absolutely ridiculous.

However, if you're ever looking to play in 4K, then it might be something you want, given how demanding 4K is.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#63 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

Ignore her, it's worth it, 1070 is where it's at. It'll make your e-peen feel good.
Actually either is fine, but I think the 1070 has the best cost/performance ratio

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#64 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,341 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

I think a 1060 is probably the best value for money card for 1080p60 these days. I have a 1070, but I play at 1440p and I quite often get more like 80FPS, so it's overkill for 1080p.

#65 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

Thanks y'all. The reason I'm thinking of upgrading is because I have an AMD R9 270 and it's already sputtering a bit. I plan to get Forza this weekend and see how it runs on that, and if it kind of fails, then I'll probably upgrade.

I don't have one of those high refresh rate monitors so 60 fps is probably about as high as I can get. I have a fancy PC gaming rig thing, but I am a console peasant at heart, and just wanna put the game in and have it all run nice.

Do you think the 1070 is more future proofed? I'd rather not upgrade in a year or two if possible.

Also, please tell me if my card should be fine. Like I said, console guy at heart.

#66 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

The R9 270 might chug along for another year if you're lucky, but it's days are done. If you're still getting acceptable performance, (acceptable to your standards at least) then I suggest waiting until some black friday sales come along, don't rush it if you have no immediate need/lust for a new card.

And yeah 1070 will almost certainly have better long term performance, especially if you're thinking about upgrading your monitor in the forseeable future.

#67 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Honestly you're totally fine with a 1060, and it'll last you a good long while. Unless you're planning on live-streaming in 4k or something there isn't a lot of reason to dump 150-200 bucks on the next card up: If anything I'd use the cash difference to upgrade something else (Your CPU for instance or maybe a monitor).

I mean, again, I'm still using a 960 and playing whatever I bloody well please on maximum, new releases and all.

nY1rpGl.gif

#68 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

A 1070 will definitely futureproof you a bit more. As far as I know, a 1060 will run pretty much everything that's out right now at 1080p60, but there are always certain games that just don't run well no matter what you throw at them. Quantum Break is notorious for just murdering graphics cards; not even a Titan X can get you a solid 60FPS.

And with PC gaming, there's always a way to use that extra power. A 1070 might give you 100+ FPS at max settings in a certain game at 1080p, but you can always inject more anti-aliasing through drivers, or you can run the game at 4K and downscale it to 1080p which will make it look amazing. It never hurts to have a little more power (well, it doesn't hurt anything but your wallet :P).

Also, Nvidia's running a deal where you get a free code for Gears of War 4 on PC if you buy a 1070 or 1080 before October 30th, so that's something to think about. 

I don't know too much about AMD cards, but I did see this Digital Foundry video that shows the R9 390 (which I assume is a newer and better than a 270?) really struggling with Forza Horizon 3:

#69 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

SOOOOOOOO. I found a 1070 on Amazon that was in their "Warehouse" deals section for having damaged packaging, but was otherwise new. Saved a decent amount from the asking price so decided to just do it.

From what I understand, I still get Gears 4 and the rebate too. So, yay? :P 

#70 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

So, I got my new graphics card! Put it in the PC and decided to crank up Overwatch and run it at "Epic" settings. Didn't even flinch! However, it runs super loud. I feel like I have several tiny fans blowing at me when it runs.

It makes sense, since the thing has three fans on it. I didn't factor that part in when I bought it:

20160527235648_big.png

Are there any tricks to keep it a bit quieter, or is it stuck running like this?

#71 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

That's actually kind of odd, my 1070 has a decent hum but if anything it's more quite than my old card. Check your temps, maybe your PC is running hot. And is it just a 'hum' or are you hearing actual buzzing noises and the like? the later could be indicative of something getting loose.

#72 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

No, no buzzing noises. I was playing Overwatch on Epic to try it out, and it sounded like a bunch of fans running on high. I put my hand behind the computer and the air coming out was fairly cool so I don't know if it was that.

#73 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

Might want to try changing your thermal paste? That helps a lot for me when it comes to temperatures, if it is temperatures. If you've never changed it, it might be a good idea to do that, since a lot of companies won't sell you a PC with the good stuff. I recommend Arctic Silver.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#74 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

Or the fans might just be set to a high setting by default. I know there are programs out there that can help you manage that (Captain uses one, but he'd have to tell you what it is exactly. I don't recall the name).

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#75 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

If you're not using MSI Afterburner to manually control the fans, GTX cards do this weird thing where the fan will very suddenly kick on high when the temperature gets around 50, then die down, then go all the way to max again, and it keeps repeating.

If anything you'll want to use the aforementioned program to check up on how your card is doing (It shows card temp and whatnot, apart from giving you manual control over your card fans, core clock, etc).

Edited by The Captain, 02 October 2016 - 05:48 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#76 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I did some fiddling, and found that I could view the temp of the GPU and set some overclocking things by downloading the utility from the manufacturer (not NVidia). From there, I fiddled with some of the settings, and realized that it's as Captain says. It jumps to basically high when the temperature rises about 50 degrees C, which must be whenever I push it. I was playing Forza Horizon 3 with it on near-max settings and yeah, it was whirling away. It's the fans though, no rattling or anything. I think just having three fans run will create a lot of white noise. 

I'm a bit afraid to fiddle with the fans too much, since I don't want the card to overheat or explode or anything. :P There are different presets though and I think I'm gonna turn it down a bit.

It makes my room warm though when I play! Generates and throws a lotta heat!

Wolfy, what is thermal paste? I didn't do anything with the card other than put it into the Desktop.

#77 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

Thermal paste is for your CPU, not your GPU, you slather it on that bad boy to help keep it running cool.

#78 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, thermal paste isn't for the card itself, but it's definitely helpful to replace it with some new if you never have before. It'll help cool it down if your PC is putting out a lot of heat.

There are tons of videos on the webbernets for how to put new thermal paste in a computer. I'd link to one, but I have no idea what your computer is like. :P Especially since lately I've only been doing it to gaming laptops, since I currently have to be able to stay relatively mobile in order to go to and from graduate school and home. Someday I'll have a monster desktop again...

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#79 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

I didn't know such a thing existed! I'll check it out, thank you!

#80 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

Thermal paste is gunk that you spread on top of your CPU before you attach the heatsink; it allows for better transfer of heat away from the CPU into the cooling array. There's also thermal paste inside your graphics card, but you really don't need to worry about that. The only time people change their GPU's thermal paste is if they're attaching an aftermarket cooler, which is totally unnecessary when you've already got a good one.

I would say that, like everyone else has already said, your fans are just set to ramp up too early. If this overclocking guide is anything to go by, GTX 1070s can handle temperatures of right up to 90 degrees, so I'd take a look at exactly how hot it's running when you're playing games and try to adjust your fan profile in MSI Afterburner like Captain recommends. It might be as simple as moving a slider from 50 degrees to 70 degrees or something, and suddenly you'll have a dead silent graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users