Photo

Mass Effect 3

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#1 Sploo

Sploo

Here's an Eagle. Give that to a Mr. Stephen Colbert.

• 481 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

Joystiq Article

More Mass Effect? A new IP? I'm not sure, but I have faith that Bioware will do well. They've only made a few of my favorite games of all time :P!
Posted Image

#2 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

Saw it on Kotaku. Most people I've talked to seem to think it MAY be Mass Effect. I'm leaning towards a new IP though.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#3 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

If it's a Mass Effect spinoff: Awesome, but I hope they don't start giving Mass Effect a more 'gritty and realistic' feel, or that would ruin it.

If it's a new IP: I'll not get my hopes up. The image looks meh. Like some of the comments are saying, I'd rather see BG3 or Jade Empire II than some soldier game.

But whatever it is, I'm sure I'll probably pre-order the super-special-shiny-edition anyway. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#4 Lockdown

Lockdown

TNAC

• 112 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:50 AM

Anyone else hopping for a Splinter Cell RPGish game?

#5 Sploo

Sploo

Here's an Eagle. Give that to a Mr. Stephen Colbert.

• 481 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

God I can't wait to see this game. I'm actually considering playing through ME1 and 2 and basing my character off of the guy in the trailer. Infiltrator. Any tips?
Posted Image

#6 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

Dark, gritty, Mass Effect FPS spinoff. Please.

Call me a tool, but I want it. And his sawed-off infiltrator.

xgd0s9.jpg

#7 Tyrannical Tim

Tyrannical Tim

SCREW ALL YA'LL IT I'M OUT YO

• 1,070 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:14 AM

As long as its not a FPS I'll be happy. Considering Bioware has not done a FPS yet, I am confident it won't be.

Also what is IP?
RIP Brave Members of the 2/29/12 bombing.
Posted Image

#8 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

Also what is IP?

Intellectual Property

Bioware needs to move from their blue and red words of choice and cookiecutter cover-based gameplay and move on to something slightly more... exhilarating. In my opinion at least. I'm sure at some point they're going to want to throw some variety in their games, why not join in and make an original FPS based on their franchise? It sounds good to me.

xgd0s9.jpg

#9 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Jade Empire 2.

JADE EMPIRE 2. STOP BEATING AROUND THE BUSH BIOWARE

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#10 Kikayoaka

Kikayoaka

There must be some way out of here

• Banned
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:30 AM

Turn based Mass Effect spin off.

Make it happen Bioware.

#11 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

If it's a Mass Effect spinoff: Awesome, but I hope they don't start giving Mass Effect a more 'gritty and realistic' feel, or that would ruin it.

If it's a new IP: I'll not get my hopes up. The image looks meh. Like some of the comments are saying, I'd rather see BG3 or Jade Empire II than some soldier game.

But whatever it is, I'm sure I'll probably pre-order the super-special-shiny-edition anyway. :P

^This.^

Oh well; here's hoping Nolan North is somewhere in it, whatever it is. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#12 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

Bioware needs to move from their blue and red words of choice and cookiecutter cover-based gameplay and move on to something slightly more... exhilarating. In my opinion at least. I'm sure at some point they're going to want to throw some variety in their games, why not join in and make an original FPS based on their franchise? It sounds good to me.

wut. nonononononono.

BioWare is porbably the only consistent developer of Western RPGs besides Obsidian. Never had a bad game, so why do an FPS when already everyone in the industry and their mother are on that bandwagon at the moment? RPGs have plenty of variety, much more than an FPS. So much more.

#13 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

Ugghhh, why do people like gritty atmosphere so much. There are enough gritty shooters out there. Leave me with my shiny Mass Effect lens flares, plz.

Anyone else hopping for a Splinter Cell RPGish game?

I recommend that you try
Posted Image

Haters gonna hate, but I really enjoy that game.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#14 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Oh god, I love Alpha Protocol. It pissed me off so much to hear that there wouldn't be an AP2. I wholeheartedly recommend it. The possibilities in that game are literally staggering. Plus, if more people buy it, perhaps there will be a Firefly-esque revival movement to give it one last hurrah.
And I wouldn't take pre-rendered teasers seriously, to be honest. Compare the Blur ME2 cinematic teaser (like the one you see if you idle at ME2's menu too long) to the actual game.

#15 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

wut. nonononononono.

BioWare is porbably the only consistent developer of Western RPGs besides Obsidian. Never had a bad game, so why do an FPS when already everyone in the industry and their mother are on that bandwagon at the moment? RPGs have plenty of variety, much more than an FPS. So much more.

Never had a bad game? I wouldn't say they've had bad games, but they most certainly have had 'meh' games, DA:O for example. And it's like they do the saaaaaaame thiiiiing every time, all I want is something different.

Ugghhh, why do people like gritty atmosphere so much. There are enough gritty shooters out there. Leave me with my shiny Mass Effect lens flares, plz.

Call me a tool, but I want it.

Also, it's fun to see style/story changes to mix up a series. For example, Republic Commando had dark atmospheres, and a cold, military-esque storyline as opposed to most of the relatively clean and heroic stuff that makes up the rest of the Star Wars franchise.

Why, even Star Trek is guilty of this. I believe in the recent reboot, Abrams mentioned everything's more about the action in his vision of the franchise?

All I'm saying is in my opinion, I like this kind of atmospheric change, it refreshes certain franchises for me, and I'd love to see it done in Mass Effect. Why, did you see the marines in Mass Effect, dressed in bold red and multicolored suits of armor? They looked like Power Rangers to me.

xgd0s9.jpg

#16 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

Multiplayer spin-off rumour

I've said many times that I will buy literally anything with the words 'Mass Effect' on the cover. I've bought the first game three times, PC disk, Steam and a 360 copy and I fully plan on buying the GOTY version of ME2 whenever it comes out even though I've already bought all the DLC. I have all the comics, all three books, I pre-ordered those action figures months ago and oh my God when are those things going to come out? I have two Mass Effect shirts from Bioware's store and I can only imagine there'll be more to come (I'm so close to buying that Tali shirt). I have a gigantic poster of the glorious pulp-sci-fi ME2 cover art on my wall and the soundtracks for both games.

That said, I really have no interest in a multiplayer spin-off. I've thought about this at length and come to the conclusion that I have literally no interest in multiplayer games. I've had Team Fortress 2 since The Orange Box came out and never started it up once. MGS4 is one of my favourite games ever and I've never even created a multiplayer profile, and I got my fill of Uncharted 2's multiplayer during the beta and I've only played one deathmatch since buying the full game. I just really don't care. I love Uncharted's gameplay but if you put it into a situation where I'm playing it solely to shoot dudes, where I'm not advancing the story or experiencing some new gorgeous Uncharted environment I'm not even a little bit interested. In Mass Effect's case I don't even really enjoy the gameplay that much. It's not exactly a chore, but I'm not coming to Mass Effect for the compelling third person shooting, you dig? So the thought of running around a closed location icing dudes isn't something I'm especially excited for.

I guess if they add in the various classes of Shepard it'd get more interesting. Being able to Charge as a Vanguard or Cloak as an Infiltrator would be pretty great, but they'd have to redo the Soldier's Adrenaline Rush because you can't make slow motion work in multiplayer.

Honestly, if there's any single player, story-furthering content I will be all over this like stink on a monkey. If there's a Codex with new juicy Mass Effect lore I will leap at the chance to buy it. But if it's solely multiplayer, maybe with some familiar Mass Effect settings and weapons or something... well I'll probably buy it anyway because I'm just that smitten with Mass Effect.

#17 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,181 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

FIREFLY RPG!

Yeah, I'm getting my hopes WAY to high, but it'd be the most awesome thing ever if BioWare did that, no?

lWZ8e6F.png

#18 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

Welp, another Ocelot post I can't find any fault with. Although I'm not as strongly against multiplayer as all that; I find it quite enjoyable sometimes. But I vastly prefer single player, and I'M WAITING FOR THOSE BLOODY ACTION FIGURES TOO! I didn't pre-order them because I was hoping the price might drop, but I'm starting to think that was a bad idea... :(

Oh hey BioWare's selling the N7 shirts with the sleeve stripe again?! YES! Mine's getting worn out.

Never had a bad game? I wouldn't say they've had bad games, but they most certainly have had 'meh' games, DA:O for example. And it's like they do the saaaaaaame thiiiiing every time, all I want is something different.

So you're saying that, since BioWare's games tend to follow a certain formula that really only BioWare and Obsidian tend to follow, and since Mass Effect is one of the only games aimed at mature adults to use the full spectrum of colors, you want them to be more "original" by releasing a gritty, colorless FPS?

And that would be 'different'? :huh:

Most game companies do the same thing all the time. They cater to a certain audience. And since BioWare and Obsidian are the only two companies who try to do RPGs properly in my opinion, it would be a tragedy to see them join the parade of grit-shooters out there.
Judging from that image alone (which hopefully is a bad idea), this shouldn't even be called Mass Effect. It could be a shot from any major shooter out right now: Reach, Black Ops, or Medal of Honor, for all I know...

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from; I like variety too. I just don't think this constitutes variety, not in the present gaming market.

On the other hand, I totally agree about Dragon Age: Origins being meh.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#19 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

No matter what type of game it is, it will probably be a story driven single player game. It looks kind of Mass Effect-ish, but it has that dark environment similar to Gears of War. Whatever it is, I'm hoping it is not as long as DA:O; would have picked up the game, but then I heard 80 hours just to beat the main story.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

I still think it's silly to take a single shot from a pre-rendered cinematic trailer (likely from Blur, which means it isn't in-house regardless) and take it as an indicator of it being bleached out and monochrome. I mean, compare this shot from ME2's 'Dirty Dozen' trailer with the single screen we got for this new (presumably Mass Effect related) game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I honestly fail to see a difference in grit levels. So with only a single screen and no gameplay footage, I deign to refrain from cursing the game as a bad idea or Real Is Brown until I actually see the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users