• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:59 AM

I thought this probably deserved its own topic rather than derailing the news thread (again). I am really hyped for Shadow of War so I've started looking back at some of the other games set in Middle Earth.

Did anyone ever play this game? 

The_Lord_of_the_Rings_-_The_Fellowship_o

The story behind this was very strange, as it came out around the same time as the film but they didn't have the rights to the film so it's completely based on the books and has its own character designs and art style.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#2 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

I remember seeing that game in stores, but I don't think I ever played it.

My opinions on LotR games I've played (mostly the movie based ones):

Two Towers and Return of the King: The quick movie-tie-in hack-n-slashes that came out around the same time as the films. They're actually not bad little games. Very fun to play couch co-op together.

The Third Age: For some bizarre reason, EA decided that the best type of RPG for the LotR license was... a JRPG. Why? I guess because those are popular on consoles, and who cares about stodgy PC gamers and their nerdy CRPG's, right? :P The Third Age story follows the adventures of The B-Team Fellowship, consisting of knock-offs of every major character, who follow right behind the real Fellowship and fight all their battles over again after they've already fought them. Seriously. Remember that part in the movies where a band of second-rate adventurers came out of nowhere to help Gandalf fight the Balrog? I don't either, but this game includes this mistakenly cut scene. :lol: There's even a bonus level where the entire party fights the Eye of Sauron itself on top of his Tower in Mordor. :blink:
It's not entirely unenjoyable though - my sis and I had a good time co-op'ing through it together, whacking goblins in FF-style turn-based combat and laughing at the silly storyline. But I'm still sad that the Western style RPG that EA was planning (The White Council) got canned... even though chances are it wouldn't have been great either.

Battle for Middle-Earth 1 & 2: EA decided they wanted a strategy game, so they made a copy of their most recent one, Command & Conquer: Generals, and called it Battle for Middle-Earth. The first one is okay, but not that great - there are only two factions, and buildings can only be constructed on pre-determined locations. The sequel, however, fixes all of this and then some. BFME2 has lots of factions, heroes, and fun fast-paced gameplay. I wasn't a huge fan of the expansion pack or its Angmar faction though, so I usually preferred not to install it. Otherwise, however, I would say BFME2 is one of the best games in EA's LotR lineup. Probably THE best.

Conquest: Most of EA's LotR games are basically re-skins of other titles. Conquest is Star Wars: Battlefront. Except that, from what I've heard, Battlefront doesn't totally suck. Conquest does. It feels like a rush job that EA ordered Pandemic to push out the door in like a week, just for one last cash-in on the LotR license before they lost the rights to Warner Brothers. It's cheap and clunky, with recycled graphics elements, and I bet 50% of the budget went toward hiring Hugo Weaving to do the voiceover as Elrond at the beginning. Terrible game.

War in the North: A surprisingly good one, in my opinion. Snowblind Studios (RIP) were always the kings of the console Hack-n-Slash, and this was their very last game. It might get boring if you play it solo, but it's very fun co-op. The story isn't anything to write home about, but if you're into the lore, it pays good attention to it, with lots of optional conversations to explore. I liked it. Shame it flopped.

The LEGO games: If you've ever played a Traveller's Tales LEGO game, you know what you're in for. That said, I think TT does a pretty good job of improving the graphics and gameplay of their LEGO games a little bit each time. LOTR introduces a huge overworld map in which you can freely explore nearly all of Middle-Earth in LEGO form, which is really quite awesome. I never finished the Hobbit one, but LEGO LotR is possibly the best TT LEGO game in my book.

Lord of the Rings Online: The requisite MMORPG. I've heard good things about LOTRO, but personally I couldn't get into it. Didn't care for the art style. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance though.

I think that's all the ones I've played. Now here are the ones I think they should make:

A Party-Based Western RPG: Lord of the Rings is the godfather of all fantasy RPG's, such as D&D, so it's a crying shame that no one has made a D&D style LOTR CRPG. Ideally, in my mind, it would be a mostly combat-oriented game - Icewind Dale style - with tactical battles using all of your party's various abilities to take down foes as you go through your adventure. I would probably make it a new story about new characters, with an option to simply create your whole party manually from scratch... but heck, even a game where you simply control the Fellowship in this manner through the main LOTR story would be wesome.

An Elder Scrolls Style Open World RPG: I've always had mixed feelings about the Elder Scrolls series and its approach to the RPG genre, but if there is one world I would love to freely explore from a first-person (preferably with optional third person featuring a better camera than TES) perspective, it's the world of Middle-Earth. Particularly with the movies' art style, which IMO is very hard to beat. Imagine riding along the towering walls of Minas Tirith, all the way to that big pointed cliff at the top, and then gazing out over the Pelennor Fields at the shadow of Mordor beyond... and then riding right back down and heading there yourself to fight some orcs and collect some cool-looking elven armor from a cave full of spiders. Of course, if someone ever made a game like that, I would probably lose months of my life to it, so it's probably well enough that they don't. :P

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#3 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

A Party-Based Western RPG: Lord of the Rings is the godfather of all fantasy RPG's, such as D&D, so it's a crying shame that no one has made a D&D style LOTR CRPG. Ideally, in my mind, it would be a mostly combat-oriented game - Icewind Dale style - with tactical battles using all of your party's various abilities to take down foes as you go through your adventure. I would probably make it a new story about new characters, with an option to simply create your whole party manually from scratch... but heck, even a game where you simply control the Fellowship in this manner through the main LOTR story would be wesome.

Imagine: You play as Elendil, having arrived from Numenor. In a Dragon Age Inquisition style game you must gather forces to forge an alliance against Sauron.

That is all. 

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users