• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,902 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hey, all. I figured, since I'm working on it harder than ever, that I'd start a topic about my thesis, The Werewolf: Past and Future. This is something I've wanted to sit down and write for most of my life now - a consolidated source of information on werewolf legends, and an examination of how werewolves weren't always the "evil monsters" they're so often seen as today. In the later chapters, I'm going to expand upon popular culture of today as well, including all the werewolves we see in books, movies, video games, graphic novels, etc., and how they're portrayed. The thesis is ultimately going to end with an exploration of how seeing wolves and werewolves as malevolent has affected societies as a whole over the course of history, resulting in largely negative consequences, such as extinction, hunting, and general misunderstanding, the likes of which we still struggle to leave behind, even today.

Keep in mind this is a rough draft. I'll be updating the existing pages with the finalized version sometime - probably - in May of this year.

Here's the info from my site, and links to each chapter:

This is the thesis I am currently writing to receive my Master's degree in English from Virginia Tech. I'll be posting updates here as I write each chapter, and I'll edit this section when I have a finalized version that I defended before a thesis committee. Therefore, everything you read here is, essentially, my working draft. My thesis is about werewolves: their history, their future, how werewolves came to be seen as malevolent, and how benevolent werewolves could benefit society.

Since the chapters of this thesis use footnotes, some of the formatting may be strange; be sure to click on the notes as they appear for the accompanying information. Some of the footnotes are very expansive upon the information in the chapter itself, so don't skip them.

CHAPTERS:

Comments and discussion are appreciated, as even just some talking about werewolves in history/popular culture, etc., could help me out and give me more ideas for later chapters in the thesis. Every chance to expand upon topics, stories, aspects, etc., that might've slipped my mind is helpful. And, of course, if anyone has any questions about anything at all to do with werewolves (in legend, popular culture, or whatever), please ask. I'm eager to discuss this subject (I always am :P ), and it'll help me move forward with my project.

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#2 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,902 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

I've added Chapter III, the longest one yet.

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#3 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,902 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

I've added Chapter IV.

Further details about that chapter (and future updates) can be found here.

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#4 1-800-786-1410

1-800-786-1410

1-800-786-1410

• Nova Patron
  • 10,737 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

"Werewolves of London" was really an allegory for gigolos and ladies' men preying on old women and prostitutes, in connection with the idea of the irredeemable, sexual deviant. It's just been lumped with Halloween songs because of its 'wacky' nature.  This has been an incredible read though! It's an absolute whirlwind of lycanthropy and an extremely well explored thesis. I loved Chapter IV, especially from a popular culture perspective, connecting the dots from work of art to the next.

I'm excited to read about the reintroduction of the benevolent werewolf when it's finished, especially in regards to American society today. Bravo! Can't wait for the next part!

giphy.gif

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,902 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thank you so much, Arby! :D

I've added Chapter V.

Be sure to check the blog on my site for more details about it, as well as lots of other news and updates for my site.

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

#6 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Your most powerful chapter yet, Wolfy!  Definitely exposed a lot of misconceptions I had about wolves myself, and the argument you've been building so masterfully truly hits home in this chapter.  It's been an exciting time following this paper's creation, and not only have I enjoyed reading it; it's given me a lot to think about.

Moana-disney-princess-39692805-268-140.g

"We keep our Island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way"

#7 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,902 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

Hey, guys. I just wanted to post a quick update about my progress on this.

I've edited my thesis very heavily from what I previously had posted on my site, both based on my own thoughts and based on recommendations from a committee of professors who are reviewing it and will be the board during my defense. For the time being, I've taken it down from my site, since it's changed so much and I plan to publish the final version in book form. You can consider what I used to have up there a kind of work-in-progress preview that's not available anymore. Kind of an alpha release, if you will. :P

I'm scheduled to defend my thesis in less than two weeks now. After that, it'll be mine again, and I plan to make a few more edits and even some more additions before I publish a final edition both in print and ebook forms. All told, my thesis has ended up being about 100 pages (including the bibliography) instead of the required 50, and I plan to expand it beyond those 100, as well.

I'll be honest, I can't wait to get the final version out there. I'm really excited for everyone to read it - and I hope at least some of you will. The topic of this thesis is something I've wanted to write about and explore for, essentially, as long as I can remember, and it's certainly a topic I'm very passionate about - one of my very greatest passions, as I'm sure everyone knows.

I've been researching werewolves in folklore and popular culture for my entire life, and examining everything about them and their themes (perhaps especially this idea of werewolves being "evil"), and it's a blast to finally do that on a genuinely professional level. To me, there isn't really anything on earth more fantastic and fascinating than the legend of the werewolf and the stories humanity has told in the past with such a creature - and the endless possibilities with werewolves that remain unexplored.

So, thanks for reading this as I've worked on it, you guys; it means a lot to me. I hope you'll take a look at the final rendition, as well, after I've poured still more hard work into it. I believe it'll be worth the wait. :)

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users