NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

A Dying Breed - Sign-ups

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

Wulfgard - Errant

A Dying Breed

Your return to Castle Greywatch isn’t met with much fanfare. Not that it ever is, but this time, things seem exceptionally quiet. All the familiar dark, dusty corners of the musty castle – its nobility old and halfway slumbering but no less visible – harbor a silence uniquely grim, even for the Venatori… And many familiar faces are missing.

You were summoned here to answer to a very unusual call: Brennus, one of your own who seems to be almost a stand-in “leader” for the Venatori right now, has recalled all Venatori to Greywatch in order to address some concerns. He kept his messages vague, be they written – if you are literate – or unwritten. Why, you are not sure, but as you make your way through the lonely halls, you feel certain you’re about to find out.

On the way to the great hall, you see various other Venatori coming to join you. Some familiar, some unfamiliar – and some you may have met before, while others you know only by reputation.

Brennus, who has only recently returned to the order and made himself renowned among the newcomers, stands at the head of the group, on a small wooden stage recently and roughly erected for this sole purpose. The great hall of Castle Greywatch is now filled with many men and women wearing the long, blue cloaks of the Venatori. But, as you look around, you realize – their numbers used to be a bit… greater.

Nor did the Venatori ever used to feel the need to have a singular leader, a position Brennus now apparently takes with pride. His hawkish green eyes scan the room, and he briefly rubs his gloved fingers together as if in anticipation of something. In spite of this, however, it’s impossible not to notice the weight of worry creasing his brow.

“I see everyone received my messages,” Brennus says, his voice carrying a slight lilting accent. “Excellent. Your help will be appreciated – and needed – in the coming weeks. With the absences… and, in some cases, losses, of some of our best veterans, I’ve come forward to represent the Venatori as a whole. Both here, and in the Empire abroad, as I try to reach out for help. So far?”

He frowns again, looks over every one of you individually.

“We haven’t gotten any.”

He begins to pace then, though his steps make hardly a sound. He’s clearly very well practiced in the arts of stealth, and somewhere in the back of your mind, you recall hearing his name spoken or whispered now and then through the halls of Castle Greywatch.

“We’re losing hunters. Why? I don’t know. None of us do. They’re disappearing – without a trace. We’ve lost six now, completely unaccounted for, but their contracts were completed. In other words, the monsters were dealt with, and we got no more word from the hunters or the locals who came to us asking for help.

“How the contracts were fulfilled and where the hunters with is what we need to figure out. Because the more hunters we lose, the fewer new hunters we’ll get – and the less ground we can cover. There are already too few of us to cover this whole damn Empire.

“I tried to contact some local lords, even some kings and even the Emperor himself, about this. What messages have gotten through didn’t get any kind of nice answers. Most of the Empire feels we’re a useless order now, anyway. And these contracts being fulfilled makes it look like there’s no continued monster problem. But we still lose the hunters. If this keeps up, the Empire will sleep in ignorance thinking they’re safe, but there won’t actually be any Venatori left protecting them.”

Whispers spread across the table as the Venatori turn and speak to each other. Some of them, however, remain silent. Among those who keep their attention focused on Brennus are you and a Venator sitting not too far off – a tall, muscular man wearing a patch over his left eye. He looks strange familiar, but you have no time to dwell on that now.

“Some of us are starting to suspect each other. Maybe that’s right, maybe we have traitors sitting at this table,” Brennus says with a shrug – and you notice his eyes almost pointedly flick over to that one-eyed Venator you noticed before. They exchange half-second, hardened stares, their gazes locking. Silence falls. More glances are exchanged around the table. Whispers scrape not so quietly through the otherwise still air.

Then Brennus continues, “But I’d like to think it isn’t. Whatever the case, we need to get to the bottom of this. The Empire has not, and will not, send aid. They want us to take care of our own issues.”

He sighs, allowing a pause… probably for dramatic effect. It’s not necessary, but it certainly works.

“And if we can’t? Well… Then there may not be a Venator Order around for much longer. The Empire will fall prey to monsters and demons, to these threats they like to pretend aren’t real. The Venatori are the oldest and most sacred order in this land, charged with the most difficult and thankless job in the Imperium… And that’s precisely why we have to get to the bottom of this. It’s why we cannot let this order quietly get stabbed in the back and fall apart.”

He stands straighter now, his eyes once more scanning the room.

“Who will stand with me?”

---

Welcome to A Dying Breed. In this campaign, you will take the role of a Venator during these troubled times. Well, more troubled than usual for your Order. This will primarily be a campaign based around mystery and intrigue, with investigation and interaction taking priority. There will, of course, be some action segments, but ultimately, you’re trying to solve a puzzle.

To sign-up for this campaign, head on over to the help topic for signing up for Errant using the new system, and then make yourself a filled-out character sheet, post your character as a new topic in the Character Creation board (as detailed in the help topic), and reply to this thread simply saying what character you want to play as and linking to their thread. DO NOT RE-POST YOUR ENTIRE CHARACTER SHEET AS A REPLY HERE. All you have to do is reply with your character name and a link to their thread!

Character Creation Criteria

Generally speaking, all players will be Venatori. If you want to be something other than a Venator, please contact me in PMs for us to work out an exception (with, of course, good reason for your character to be participating in these events). However, I would much prefer if all, or nearly all, players are Venatori.

Races that are allowed must be acceptable to the Venatori, the Imperial order of monster hunters. This means you may be anything off the following list:

• Human (all subraces)

• Elf (all subraces except Dark Elf)

• Dwarf (all subraces)

• Half-Blood (all subraces, except anything involving Dark Elf)

Arguably, you could also play as anything that could disguise itself as a human, elf, or dwarf. HOWEVER, as this is a campaign in which you will be both playing as and interacting with almost exclusively an order of elite monster hunters, you will probably be caught and killed if you do this. Please keep this in mind if you sign up as any of the following, and do not blame me for your character’s very likely death.

• Werewolves

• Vampires

• Demon-kin

• Mages/magi (individuals with the Gift)

• Anyone with any other socially unacceptable forms of magic

If anyone has any monsters-hiding-among-men or half-bloods that I've left out and you want to sign up as that, just let me know and we can try to work something out. However, I will not accept any beastfolk trying to hide among human society, or any Chaos races. Those have no place directly in the Venatori.

Some General Rules/Guidelines:

• Keep this fun. Post only as often as you want to and as your schedule comfortably allows. Do not turn this into some kind of job; this is meant to be fun and relaxing. We’ve had issues with this before. Don’t feel pressured to post if you don’t have the time, opportunity, or motivation, but do let us know in the OOC thread that you haven’t silently dropped out and still plan to post when you find the time and inspiration. Again, this is for fun, not work.

• In congruence with the first note, this is a judgment-free zone. No one is judging you based on your writing ability or post length. Do not be intimidated by those who make longer posts that are heavily proofread. This is, again, something we are doing for fun, not to compete or to judge. If this is your first time in Errant, we especially want to make you feel welcome. Please feel free to ask the DM or your fellow players for help or feedback, so that you can have as much fun as we do!

• Never feel like you are spamming here. As long as you are posting multiple times in order to respond to someone else, you are not spamming (obviously do not chain tons of posts without waiting for anyone else to respond). Character interactions in a forum-based system may feel like spam, but they are not. And I want to heavily encourage interactions among all players and NPCs, especially NPC companions. Dialogue and interactions are the backbone of any good RP.

• Do not cast blame and hold grudges. If something bad happens to one of your characters, or another player/NPC argues with one of your characters, it is no fault of the DM or the player. This is a different world. What happens IC stays IC.

• All this being said, try to hold a consistent writing style throughout. Standard, for forum RPs around here, is to write your posts in third-person (tense is up to you, but I personally write past tense, simply because I am used to writing this way). My introductory post was written in second person to switch things up, as I often do in sign-up threads. But it’s much easier when everyone consistently writes in third person (as I will do in DM posts from now on, like I always have).

At the moment, I cannot comfortably announce a particular DM update schedule, but I’m ballparking for 1-2 weeks between major DM posts (those posts are likely to be kept relatively simple in terms of prose, so that I do not get too hung up writing one and take far too long, as I have done before). Lord_Capulet will be at long last rejoining Errant as my sounding board and personal assistant for this campaign (I'm not calling you my squire, Cappy, so stop asking), and will do his best to fill in for me if needed.

However, I'll be posting smaller posts much more frequently as necessary for character/NPC interactions.

That said, I hope you consider joining the campaign! I’d love to have you.

---

Player List:

Edited by Lord_Capulet, 15 April 2018 - 09:17 PM.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

Awwwww yes!

Well, I've had Lydus Sticky-Fingers sitting on the back-burner for a while, guess this is his time to shine (and not just act like a jerk in a random tavern after coming face-to-face with a certain Tom :P ).

And Percula Saffron may or may not be somewhere in the background, as per usual :3

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#3 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Veni, vidi, Venatori. I came, I saw, I submitted a Venator:

Hollí Emberleaf

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#4 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

• Do not cast blame and hold grudges.

I feel that with the type of story that this campaign has (i.e. murder mystery, plus Brennus and Caid having history), this is going to be almost impossible to do, but I'm going to try and follow this rule anyway. 

I am going to be playing as tried-and-true Agethar Twin-axe, as well as a new character that I will link to once I post his sign-up sheet.

#5 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

Lord_Capulet will be at long last rejoining Errant as my sounding board and personal assistant for this campaign (I'm not calling you my squire, Cappy, so stop asking), and will do his best to fill in for me if needed.

Someday, I will be worthy of the title.  Some day. 

For now, I'm honored to help you keep this show running as best I can!  It'll be nice to get back into the swing of things before I start running my own campaigns again.

I feel that with the type of story that this campaign has (i.e. murder mystery, plus Brennus and Caid having history), this is going to be almost impossible to do, but I'm going to try and follow this rule anyway. 

The rest of that quote specifically said that this rule applies to real life.  Characters can feel whatever you like about each other and other people's characters, that's how character development works.  Our DM just doesn't want any resentment at in-game treatment to be carried over into OOC interactions.  Remember,

Anywho, I will be signing up with my second oldest character, Kate Meliora!  That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Cappy's actually bringing more than one player character into Errant!  (outside the freeroam, of course.)  You may have been asking yourself, can this guy come up with any PCs besides human Inquisitors and dwarves?  The answer: Not really!  (Though I did try really hard to come up with a Venator, but every concept I had felt rushed and sub-par.)

But fear not, Kate has good reasons to be in Castle Greywatch, one of which is that I wanted to reintroduce and refine her for future campaigns, and none of which involved messing with Sareth's character, whom I only just read about in this thread. (Sorry, my friend!) That was just an unhappy coincidence, or a happy one, if you don't like Sareth.  But why would you not like Sareth, you horrible person?

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#6 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

But fear not, Kate has good reasons to be in Castle Greywatch, one of which is that I wanted to reintroduce and refine her for future campaigns, and none of which involved messing with Sareth's character, whom I only just read about in this thread. (Sorry, my friend!) That was just an unhappy coincidence, or a happy one, if you don't like Sareth.  But why would you not like Sareth, you horrible person?

<_<

Tread carefully, Cappy. Keep in mind: this time my character actually is a pyromaniac*... and can set things on fire with her mind. :lol:

*(Heroes/Legends veterans will get it.)

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#7 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:03 AM

I'm 100% in for this once I've created a new character.

Much as I'd love to try I can't find a way for Garandros Aldor to feasibly rejoin the Venatori (without dying really quickly).
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#8 Poetic

Poetic

Pure Cinnamon Roll

• Nova Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:16 AM

I've posted my sign up.

I'm committed to this, and excited to see Errant return.

64a00586gw1emine46g7pg209q05gu0z.gif

​"Keep running."

#9 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:28 AM

Well... here goes something...

Auric Khasmin

http://forums.saber-...showtopic=11205

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:20 AM

<_<

Tread carefully, Cappy. Keep in mind: this time my character actually is a pyromaniac*... and can set things on fire with her mind. :lol:

*Heroes/Legends Vietnam flashbacks intensify*

>.>

<.<

I'll be good.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#11 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

New character, Cyrus Malcom the Faceless Hunter, at your service!

This in addition to Agethar, will be the characters I'll be using for this campaign.

#12 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Player list updated! Thanks for the interest and the sign-ups, everyone. :D I'll reply to the individual character threads as needed tomorrow or this weekend. There's no rush to sign up, for those still interested; I'm going to give everyone plenty of time to hash out their characters.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to contact me regarding character ideas or concerns, feel free to PM me here on the forums or send me a DM on Discord.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#13 Poetic

Poetic

Pure Cinnamon Roll

• Nova Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

It looks like Im having battery issues on my laptop, Im not sure when I can get this fixed. Currently, Im using a mobile device to type this message. Just a heads up in case my posting become a scarce.

Edit: Fixed it

​"Keep running."

#14 DragonJedi

DragonJedi

"Dead-Eye Jargon"

• Nova Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

Okay Im definitely going to get a character up for this, but Im in the Keys right now, limited electricity and such. Ill be back Sunday, so I should have something up by then.

#15 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Sounds good, Dragon. We'll wait up, don't worry. :)

I'm going to reply to at least a few character threads tonight. I probably won't find the opportunity to properly start this RP for at least another week (next week is going to be... not fun for me, at least Monday and Tuesday), so take your time with the characters, those of you who aren't done yet.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#16 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

Yo, Wolfy. Wanna make a duo? I think I'm gonna make a gruff half-dwarf dude so if I post him will you make a character to match, then I can edit accordingly? 

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#17 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

Well, guess I should officially mention I intend to make use of Lyneth Brys (when she is cleared and all that) instead of Lydus Sticky-Fingers. As excited as I was to play him in an environment where he'd be noticeably less of an asshole than normal, it's been a while since I made him and his character wasn't quite sticking, as it were. Sorry ^^;

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#18 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

Well, guess I should officially mention I intend to make use of Lyneth Brys (when she is cleared and all that) instead of Lydus Sticky-Fingers. As excited as I was to play him in an environment where he'd be noticeably less of an asshole than normal, it's been a while since I made him and his character wasn't quite sticking, as it were. Sorry ^^;

dee.jpg

If he wasn't already not going to be in the campaign, I think I would have been forced to kill him after that pun.

#19 Poetic

Poetic

Pure Cinnamon Roll

• Nova Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

Dalton is upsetti because he already drew Lydus into the center of the group art.

​"Keep running."

#20 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

Dalton is upsetti because he already drew Lydus into the center of the group art.

No, because I fortunately decided to wait until the campaign starts before I make the drawing of the group.

I don't want to mess up and make the drawing before a last minute sign-up gets accepted again. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users