NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Next Errant Campaign

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Next Errant campaign - read post before voting!

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you want to make new characters or bring back old ones?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you prefer more or fewer restrictions on character creation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you prefer me to wait and make a campaign only after I redesign and spruce up some of Errant's character creation process (and possibly add some more guide and help topics about RPing and character creation in general)?

Would you prefer the campaign to center around human society, another society, or be more of a traditional "meet in a tavern, go on an adventure" ragtag classic D&D style thing?

Do you want a class-based system, or keep the current traits and stuff?

Another campaign question - any particular region you'd like to go to/start out in?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Greetings, my excellent friends. The time has come for me to start thinking about my next Errant campaign, as I've almost finished graduate school!

I know Errant has stagnated for far too long now, and I want to change that. So, please vote and post and let me know what everyone would like to do best. I'm not planning to attempt another free-roam, as those clearly don't work out.

Therefore, I'm currently trying to collect ideas before I come up with some campaign choices. I might start another poll topic later with some specific campaign ideas and descriptions, so that everyone can pick their favorite and maybe we can do something everyone is really invested in.

To start off, here's a more general poll. Please read the details here before you vote. Note that not all the choices have details written; some of them speak enough for themselves that I didn't add any more comments.

Question 1: Do you want to make new characters or bring back old ones?

1. Bring back Team Caiden specifically; base a campaign around them again

To be perfectly honest, if we can get the gang back together, this is the one that possibly interests me the most. Even if I didn't get to do even half of the possibilities and details in my outline, and despite so many delays, Chasing Shadows was still a remarkable success in many ways, at least in my opinion.

A vote for this means a vote for something continuing the adventures of Team Drake/now sort of more Team Caiden, probably something more to do with the NPCs we've already seen. This does not, of course, mean that I would make it exclusive to returning players or characters - everyone is free to join, I wouldn't make prior knowledge a requirement, and returning players can also sign up as new characters if they want to.

2. All-new characters

This means something probably something really different from what we've previously seen; something that wouldn't allow any of the longer-lasting characters to return (at least not without a lot of contrivances). I would force everyone to make all-new characters for a more unique group/setting/culture/situation/etc.

3. Leave it open to any option

This is pretty much just a vote for something that leaves it open either way.

Question 2: Do you prefer more or fewer restrictions on character creation?

Note that your answer to this question goes hand in hand with what kind of campaign you might be looking for; see some later questions for details.

1. I like more restrictions

I might take this to basically means you're looking for a more specifically built campaign, possibly around some particular race and/or culture and/or region. Specify in your post if there's a reason otherwise. Do you like it because it keeps everyone on even ground? Because it doesn't distract from the story? Because it encourages you to make more creative characters? Etc. I'd like to know.

2. I like just a few restrictions to keep it reasonable

Again, please specify in your post why you prefer it this way.

3. I like no restrictions at all

Again, please specify in your post why you prefer it this way.

Question 3: Would you prefer me to wait and make a campaign only after I redesign and spruce up some of Errant's character creation process (and possibly add some more guide and help topics about RPing and character creation in general)?

I have plans to make topics such as these either way at some point (and make some changes to the character creation that I've already decided upon), but I'm interested to know if people want to see these changes and new topics before I do anything else with Errant, or if current players aren't even interested in these at all.

Question 4: Would you prefer the campaign to center around human society, another society, or be more of a traditional "meet in a tavern, go on an adventure" ragtag classic D&D style thing?

Again, please specify your answer and why in your post.

Question 5: Do you want a class-based system, or keep the current traits and stuff?

Please feel free to offer any and all thoughts and suggestions.

Question 6: Another campaign question - any particular region you'd like to go to/start out in?

Feel free to specify your choice and why you chose it, and any variations you'd like upon it (such as if you'd like to be Imperials traveling to Kemhet, or whatever the case may be).

Looking forward to hearing the responses! :)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

There's a lot of really awesome things that have the potential to happen, so it's hard to narrow anything down, especially when my personal preferences aren't strongly biased towards any one direction. I think it would be fun to try out an entirely new group, but it can also be really fun to roleplay someone trying to fit in to an established party. I'm down for a heavily regulated campaign where all the characters are of one specific race or creed or whathaveyou, or one that's a bit less focused, or even something wild and crazy and ridiculous. They all have their merits, and each can be fun in their own way... I think it will boil down to what you are most comfortable and motivated to run, and what other people want to play.

As far as the character creation system, and the guidelines and that sort of stuff, I think if you plan to incorporate any of that into the next RP, that it would be wise to get it all in place first and give people a chance to read it and use it, rather than trying to shift gears later on... You could end up with new characters joining who are built in a different way that makes them difficult to integrate with the other characters already in the campaign... Even minor differences in how skills are used/assigned, or how HP works, can be enough to tip the scales. Just saying, make changes in the down-time and then go forward, rather than try to change while it's running.

While I voted for D&D Pub Party, I'm open to anything. It'd be neat to play a group of dwarves on a mission through the underdark, or some elves going on a journey to reclaim some sacred artifact or another. A Venatori campaign would be cool. Or a Beastfolk group trying to escape some kind of impending doom, be it an Imperial invasion or a natural disaster. Or maybe something that even goes above a certain culture or race, like a trade consortium outfitting an expedition to try and find a passable trail through the Jagged Edge to import new and extremely rare goods, and also as an avenue for export to make more profits. Or similarly, a shipping fleet sending a heavily armed vessel out into an uncharted area to find a safe passage around some non-friendly islands or something. There's just so many neat things that could be done in Wulfgard that it's kind of hard to decide on anything to go for now when it's all so tempting!

I'm cool with anything for character creation. I do feel that the current system makes characters focused in a way that can be a double-edged sword... If there was some way to trade points around so that an older character can have more skills at the cost of physical attributes, or for a character with lower intelligence to learn more non-knowledge related skills... I dunno how to put it properly, but I know I've had character concepts that wouldn't be over-powered but were impossible to make, and I've made characters on paper that would be very min-maxy without a lot of downsides for the player... But I do feel the current system is functional, and that any changes to it should be carefully considered and possibly tested out by giving players a challenge to see if they can break it... Some play-testing, if you will.

And finally, I'm also cool with any region, especially places we haven't been before, or seeing places in a light that we haven't done. I voted for the South, since it sparks my imagination slightly more, but all the places are unique and diverse in their own ways, and there's all sorts of fun that can be had anywhere.

Mostly, I'm just interested and excited to get back into Errant, and to RP with seasoned pros and noobs alike.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#3 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:13 PM

Awyiss! The light at the end of the tunnel is here! :D

Though I've gotta say, this poll's been tricky to answer. I voted for all-new characters, namely because I think that might help breathe fresh life into Errant. However, we do have a pretty neat tight-knit group of characters, so I'm not necessarily against us continuing to play as them. ^^

I voted for some restrictions because while keeping everyone to a particular thing helps direct stuff, having the freedom to have more... unique characters doesn't usually seem to disrupt the flow of things much... even though I have a gut feeling the idea of freedom in character creation got to my head and didn't help matters with the Jagged Edge stuff. ^^;

Aaand while I voted to go for making the campaign before reworking Errant's character creation system, I think it might be more prudent to focus more on the character system than the campaign. I probably should've thought for longer before making that decision...

Though I do prefer the current free-form creation system to a class system, albeit I'd appreciate more explanation of what classes you had in mind. I figure it'd mostly be standard DnD fair, but what about less combat-focused classes like... I dunno. I don't want to say 'peasant', but I don't think there's much in place to be able to make a character capable of physical tinkering or crafting, really, while there are talents for tinkering with the arcane and alchemy. So if there were classes like 'blacksmith' or something, that'd make me more partial to that system (though I remember you mentioning the idea of expanding talents to potentially player-created ones, which would be even more preferable in my opinion).

Finally, as for where and what to do for campaigning things, I voted for Northrim and a more human-focused campaign since I don't think we've done one in that region, and the Nordlings are somewhat more open-minded to magic and more magical races. I figure it might provide a decent amount of freedom and help ease newer people into Errant while treading on less frequented ground.

Soyeah! Can't wait to get Errant back on the road, and good to hear you're doing well enough at the end of your post-grad stuff to feel like continuing it. Er, Errant. XP

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#4 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:42 AM

Very excited  to see this, I always felt like I'd missed the boat with Errant.

My opinions aren't particularly strong either way on any of the options really, I'd just lean towards openness and fewer restrictions to encourage the creative people of SSLF to go wild with their character creation. Although I'd say a few restrictions are best to ensure things don't get silly.

In my experience it's best to have all the character creation / lore stuff sorted first or it can become a right pain later on when people have to adjust their existing characters.

Happy to bring back Team Caiden (although that's nothing to do with me), although that might mean I can't RP as my minifig contest entry as Caiden would probably kill him on sight.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#5 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Figures. I stop checking the Errant board, and something new appears.  :ninja:

Anyway:

1. I voted "leave it open", cause... yeah. I'm certainly down for the continuing adventures of Caiden & Co., but I could also go for something completely different. Either/or.

2. I'm not quite sure how you define levels of restriction, but an example of a reasonable restriction to me would be: "Only humans/things that can fit/blend in with human society"— e.g.: Humans, Elves and Dwarves, and mages, werewolves, vampires, and demon-kin of those races.

'Cause when you have too different of races in the same group —like beastfolk, giants, or (sort of) even pixies (... no offense, Burgs  :P ) in a group with humans— it just gets too weird, as (barring some imminent, mutually catastrophic threat) they would realistically never work together, or even be in the same place without trying to kill each other, but people want to keep the party together, so everyone's chars. just kind of throw up their hands and go "This is happening, IDKW; I'm cool with it I guess" and it's just too hard to come up with things to say to each other because they have absolutely nothing in common. (/runonsentence) *takes deep breath*

3. Well, if you're gonna redesign the char. creator, then, yeah, I'd rather you wait to do the campaign until afterwards, so we can take advantage of the new system to make the most broken chars. ever to make fun chars. we'll enjoy playing as.  :D

4. I voted "meet in a tavern", but I'm also down for human society, or outcasts of human society (which, to me, means something like that old werewolf campaign that tragically died aborning —I liked that one).

5. A class system could —maybe— work, but I feel like it would be a lot more work for you to even attempt to have the same flexibility. The current talent system, while not perfect (then again, no system is) works most of the time. Just adding/revamping some talents —or even player-created talents, like Burgs mentioned— would, IMO, probably be the better way to go.

I know one char. that I've got in reserve would really appreciate a combat talent focused on unarmed (punching/kicking/etc.) and quarterstaff fighting —things that don't clearly fit into any of the current 3 combat talents....

6. I voted for Northrim, but I'd be fine with the Empire, too. By the time this gets started, I might even be fine with the South, but for some reason I'm not in a "south" mood right now (maybe 'cause I'm in New Mexico ATM —IDK :lol: ).

So that's me. Whatever it ends up being, I look forward to seeing it. 

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#6 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

'Cause when you have too different of races in the same group —like beastfolk, giants, or (sort of) even pixies (... no offense, Burgs  :P ) in a group with humans— it just gets too weird, as (barring some imminent, mutually catastrophic threat) they would realistically never work together, or even be in the same place without trying to kill each other, but people want to keep the party together, so everyone's chars. just kind of throw up their hands and go "This is happening, IDKW; I'm cool with it I guess" and it's just too hard to come up with things to say to each other because they have absolutely nothing in common. (/runonsentence) *takes deep breath*

Yeeeaaaaah I still feel like I'm at fault for making the open world thing break down, there, with all my different crazy race characters. Sorreh. ;u;

#7 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

Okay, I finally voted, so here are my opinions:

1: I'd honestly love to see the Jagged Edge Group come back, but a new group is fine too. Maybe I'll finally bring back Oten or Avarice.

2: I honestly like the Character Creation thingy the way it is. If you change it in some way, hopefully it will be for the best.

3: While I'd like to see you continue the Jagged Edge Group or start a new Campaign entirely, I'd love to make my own successful Errant Campaign. My Errant Campaigns have bombed faster than my regular RPs, so a chance to make one that actually flies would be awesome.

4: I voted human, but it doesn't mean I'm not up for anything you come up with.

5: Doesn't matter to me.

6: I voted Northrim, but what I'd really like to see is a Campaign set in the EAST. I finished watching through the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra recently, and I'd love to see the difference between western magi and eastern magi, and how magi are treated in the east as compared to everywhere else.Are there Mage Emperors in the East? Is there an Inquisition? ARE MONKS THE ONLY MAGI IN THE EAST??? I MUST KNOW!!!

#8 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the responses, everybody. I'm going to address a few of the comments and toss some more ideas out...

(though I remember you mentioning the idea of expanding talents to potentially player-created ones, which would be even more preferable in my opinion).

Yeah, I did mention that once. I think I'll do that.

Happy to bring back Team Caiden (although that's nothing to do with me), although that might mean I can't RP as my minifig contest entry as Caiden would probably kill him on sight.

You might be surprised the things Caiden would do. Did you read "Hunted"? :P

2. I'm not quite sure how you define levels of restriction, but an example of a reasonable restriction to me would be: "Only humans/things that can fit/blend in with human society"— e.g.: Humans, Elves and Dwarves, and mages, werewolves, vampires, and demon-kin of those races.

3. Well, if you're gonna redesign the char. creator, then, yeah, I'd rather you wait to do the campaign until afterwards, so we can take advantage of the new system to make the most broken chars. ever to make fun chars. we'll enjoy playing as.  :D

4. I voted "meet in a tavern", but I'm also down for human society, or outcasts of human society (which, to me, means something like that old werewolf campaign that tragically died aborning —I liked that one).

Yeah, that was my idea of "reasonable restrictions."

Noted. :lol:

Yeah, I always did want to make that werewolf campaign work out... I'll give that some thought. :P

1: I'd honestly love to see the Jagged Edge Group come back, but a new group is fine too. Maybe I'll finally bring back Oten or Avarice.

3: While I'd like to see you continue the Jagged Edge Group or start a new Campaign entirely, I'd love to make my own successful Errant Campaign. My Errant Campaigns have bombed faster than my regular RPs, so a chance to make one that actually flies would be awesome.

6: I voted Northrim, but what I'd really like to see is a Campaign set in the EAST. I finished watching through the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra recently, and I'd love to see the difference between western magi and eastern magi, and how magi are treated in the east as compared to everywhere else.Are there Mage Emperors in the East? Is there an Inquisition? ARE MONKS THE ONLY MAGI IN THE EAST??? I MUST KNOW!!!

I'm afraid that Jagged Edge group is essentially done for. Doesn't mean you can't re-use characters from it, though. I'd pretty much like to disavow that free-roam, if that's acceptable with everyone else. It was a bust.

You can always make your own, regardless of what I do. You're free to do that at any time. Everyone is. I'm also going to make it so that everyone can post freely in both Errant boards, for that exact reason.

You could always toss some of those up as questions in the Q&A thread, and I'd gladly elaborate on them, because I can answer quite a few of those already. :P As for a campaign in the East, though, I'm afraid that's currently a bit out of the question. One thing I want to do in my new free time is spend time seriously researching the history and mythology of various Asian cultures to craft the East as intricately as the rest of the setting. I know lots about those things, but not enough to confidently start crafting and mapping the East in detail.

That isn't to say an Eastern campaign is out of the question, though, nor is a campaign (or at least a NPC) exploring a bit more about Eastern culture.

Overall, I think I'm going to get to work making some revisions to various aspects of Errant before I start up another campaign. I'll get to work on that.

Also, here's another question...

I originally made Errant play pretty fast and loose with Wulfgard lore. I'd let people do some pretty wacky things. I did this in part as an attempt to make Errant more appealing. As it turns out, I think all of it was a bit pointless in the long run.

That said, Errant is still running on its own canon - something I did largely for myself, to be honest, so that I could RP as characters of my own that I probably wouldn't be able to otherwise. I don't really want to change that, either, as that'd defeat the entire purpose of Errant being a persistent world, in which all previous player actions have already affected things. Which, of course, they have - and they've affected NPCs, too, especially Caiden.

However, it does run extremely contrary to Wulfgard canon (and some of it even runs a bit contrary to Wulfgard lore, though none of it extremely).

So here's the question: would you like to play another campaign set in this canon, or would it be fun to run at least one RP not set in Errant canon, and instead set in the actual Wulfgard canon? My idea was to have a RP set immediately (as in immediately) after the events of Knightfall.

If that's not appealing and everyone just wants to continue playing in Errant canon instead, that's fine, too. I was just throwing it out there.

For now, I'm going to focus on revamping some of the ways Errant works (namely character creation) and possibly make some help topics and guide topics, and revise the ones that are currently there. Basically, I'm going to try to streamline and improve things. I'll also start brainstorming some campaign ideas and toss some of those at you guys in the future, so you can discuss and pick your favorite.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#9 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

Well, I'd personally like to stay with the current 'Errant lore', if only because it allows us a bit more freedom than full-on Wulfgard would, methinks.

Though an RP happening right after Knightfall does sound intriguing, if you could elaborate on that idea. ^^

#10 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

For the post-Knightfall idea: It sounds intriguing in theory, but, for me I guess it really depends on whether we'd be meeting up/hanging out with the main chars. whom we've already met in Errant (and I kinda assume that would be the case). 'Cause if we'd be meeting chars. that we've already spent a lot of time with and gotten to know in Errant —Caid and Kye, and even Tom to a degree— then I'd rather not.

There's been so much nice characterization and character development (including for some of my own chars.) in Errant that it just seems silly to throw it all away for the mere sake of being more canon.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#11 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

For the post-Knightfall idea: It sounds intriguing in theory, but, for me I guess it really depends on whether we'd be meeting up/hanging out with the main chars. whom we've already met in Errant (and I kinda assume that would be the case). 'Cause if we'd be meeting chars. that we've already spent a lot of time with and gotten to know in Errant —Caid and Kye, and even Tom to a degree— then I'd rather not.

There's been so much nice characterization and character development (including for some of my own chars.) in Errant that it just seems silly to throw it all away for the mere sake of being more canon.

It wouldn't focus on any of the main Wulfgard characters, actually, except those who were still in Illikon after the ending of Knightfall, who would at least appear.

But yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I feel. :P Just thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#12 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

Well, hey, I'd be up for trying it if you're really feeling it ^^

#13 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

I'm about to post the patch notes for the huge update I've been working on with some of the changes I mentioned in this thread, so keep an eye out. Feel free to use this thread to discuss the update.

I'm now going to move on to figuring out exactly what kind of campaign people would like. So far all I've got is something in Northrim. :P Anyone have any preferences they want to express? Characters they'd like to play as? Places they'd like to explore? Etc.

I currently have a few ideas I'm working on. I might start another poll to see what possibilities people are most interested in and hopefully foster more discussion.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#14 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the update.

I have to say the update looks quite good so far (I like what you did with talents, and some of the new ones)... with one exception: frankly, the new "pack"-based inventory system baffles and annoys me. Going through and converting some of my old chars./unused chars. that I made to the new system, I often found myself either just getting rid of a number of things included in the closest-fit pack because they were things that char. wouldn't carry, and depending entirely on the 3 non-pack items to equip my char. with important things —like their weapons/armor.

The only chars. of mine for which it completely works are my old templar and inquisitor chars. —and that's due to the fact that those two are the most "standard soldier"-esque chars. I've made, and that the templar and inquisitor packs are very generous.

It really just confuses me, because I can't recall there being any problems with people's inventories in the past —either taking too much/absurd things, or not taking things they should. It seems especially weird to me, because you just made the talent system looser and more flexible, and yet at the same time you made the inventory system more rigid.

... Just my two cents.

I'm now going to move on to figuring out exactly what kind of campaign people would like. So far all I've got is something in Northrim.  :P Anyone have any preferences they want to express? Characters they'd like to play as? Places they'd like to explore? Etc.

Well, if we're not doing the further adventures of Team Caid, I could do either something like that old werewolf campaign (by which I mean: like, seriously, I could go for basically re-trying that thing if enough other people were interested) or maybe something with Inquisitors, so I could bring back another old char. of mine.

If Inquisitors, I could maybe go for something a little different than the standard "kick down doors and smash the cultists"-style plot (a-la "Arrowfall," "Damnatio Memoriae," "Chasing Shadows," etc.) —maybe something a little more mystery/intrigue based (and preferably featuring a group of only inquisitors, and not inquisitors/templar/venatori).

Like, as an example, you could do a political intrigue type plot, say: A group of Inquisitors are sent to a town/city due to reports of a mage. However, when they get there, the best suspect for said mage is the beloved kid of the powerful local noble/warchief. For further intrigue, members of both the Hidden and the Schola Arcana could also be looking to get the mage kid for their own groups (heck, you could even have some players as members of those factions —though the Inquisitor group should be the biggest). For even further complication, there could be some non-magical intrigue going on as well —maybe the town/city is about to be attacked by a hostile neighbor or a chaos warband or whatever.... And so on. The point being that no one knows who's who (except the Inquisitors, who kind of stand out a bit, giving them a disadvantage to balance out their expertise), or whom they can trust except (hopefully) their comrades.

Just an example; feel free to use the idea if you like it, Wolfy (or anyone else).

Posted Image

#15 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

I have to say the update looks quite good so far (I like what you did with talents, and some of the new ones)... with one exception: frankly, the new "pack"-based inventory system baffles and annoys me. Going through and converting some of my old chars./unused chars. that I made to the new system, I often found myself either just getting rid of a number of things included in the closest-fit pack because they were things that char. wouldn't carry, and depending entirely on the 3 non-pack items to equip my char. with important things —like their weapons/armor.

It really just confuses me, because I can't recall there being any problems with people's inventories in the past —either taking too much/absurd things, or not taking things they should. It seems especially weird to me, because you just made the talent system looser and more flexible, and yet at the same time you made the inventory system more rigid.

... Just my two cents.

...Well, I definitely see where you're coming from, but as I've been working on a new character this system helps cover the essentials, I've found.

However... it is a little rigid, compared to the talents system, anyway. I guess if it was just clear that the packages are more a guideline for those of us who don't want to work on a more complex inventory it'd work better? I don't feel like the system should go to waste, and it's definitely not unhelpful in every case. But for those of us who've been at this a while I think we can work with a bit more flexibility while new players might appreciate the structure of inventory packages. ^^

#16 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

The only chars. of mine for which it completely works are my old templar and inquisitor chars. —and that's due to the fact that those two are the most "standard soldier"-esque chars. I've made, and that the templar and inquisitor packs are very generous.

... Just my two cents.

As specified in the topic, that system is for new characters, not returning ones. People who have been around have already established their inventories.

It's meant to be something for newbies to use as a basis, and to emphasize that not all "adventurers" are going to be rich and well-geared, to let them know that you get certain perks for being a part of certain factions. i.e., you can start out with deepsilver if you're a Templar, but not if you're some random scrubnoob who just stepped off the farm. They're also wealthier in general and offer members more stuff, so it'll give you advantages over, again, being factionless.

I could certainly make some adjustments to the system, if you feel that strongly about it, or scrap it altogether and try to come up with some different way of conveying certain things I want to convey - while also putting emphasis on the fact that good gear is not easy to come by, and currency (since I'm trying to actually have currency be important) or at least exploring is needed to get better gear. Essentially, I'd like for people to have goals when they come into the game, rather than just starting out with their perfectly-geared character and you don't ever have any want or desire for a new sword or better armor, or whatever.

I've had some trouble with people and inventories in the past (via PMs). But, like I said, I appreciate the feedback. I'll give it some thought.

Well, if we're not doing the further adventures of Team Caid, I could do either something like that old werewolf campaign (by which I mean: like, seriously, I could go for basically re-trying that thing if enough other people were interested) or maybe something with Inquisitors, so I could bring back another old char. of mine.

If Inquisitors, I could maybe go for something a little different than the standard "kick down doors and smash the cultists"-style plot (a-la "Arrowfall," "Damnatio Memoriae," "Chasing Shadows," etc.) —maybe something a little more mystery/intrigue based (and preferably featuring a group of only inquisitors, and not inquisitors/templar/venatori).

Like, as an example, you could do a political intrigue type plot, say: A group of Inquisitors are sent to a town/city due to reports of a mage. However, when they get there, the best suspect for said mage is the beloved kid of the powerful local noble/warchief. For further intrigue, members of both the Hidden and the Schola Arcana could also be looking to get the mage kid for their own groups (heck, you could even have some players as members of those factions —though the Inquisitor group should be the biggest). For even further complication, there could be some non-magical intrigue going on as well —maybe the town/city is about to be attacked by a hostile neighbor or a chaos warband or whatever.... And so on. The point being that no one knows who's who (except the Inquisitors, who kind of stand out a bit, giving them a disadvantage to balance out their expertise), or whom they can trust except (hopefully) their comrades.

Just an example; feel free to use the idea if you like it, Wolfy (or anyone else).

I may still attempt to further the adventures of Team Caid. If not just because I really, really want to play as Caiden some more. He'll almost certainly be involved somehow. :P

Well, the trouble is, 90% of my RP plots start out as mystery. Pretty much all of the things you just mentioned were meant to be primarily mystery RPs. But mystery RPs are absurdly difficult to do in practice - the outline for Chasing Shadows was actually over 40 pages long, with tons of branching subquests and other plotlines, intrigue, politics, players in other factions, etc., but none of that panned out for a lot of different reasons, and yet the RP still took like half a year to complete.

That... sounds weirdly much like the plot of the Illikon mage cult incident, in a way. :lol: I did try to make that a RP once, over ten years ago.

I do love that as an idea, though. I'll play around with it. :P I'm pretty much up for anything, so if no one else offers any suggestions, I'd happily give something like this a shot.

Since we're discussing campaign ideas now, I'm going to go ahead and throw out some of the ones I had over all those days I spent hammering out all these Errant updates...

• It's actually been longer than I can even remember since I did a straight-up, D&D-style, adventure campaign. Not anything based in civilization, but a long adventure after some goal or another (be it a magical artifact, general gold and glory, whatever else), venturing into dangerous territory, visiting lots of different towns, interacting with a variety of folk, getting side-quests, possibly even picking up new NPCs... pretty much just a standard D&D adventure campaign based around just a fun adventuring party that allows for all kinds of variety and secrets (but not anything too absurd; standard races, etc., nothing like some random orc thrown into the party just to cause us lots of confusion and hang-ups, if you catch my drift).
  • Another mystery RP, based around a faction (now leaning toward Inquisitors, as per Sareth's suggestion). I had actually considered a big conspiracy going on in the Venatori, and basing it around Caiden returning to the Order, and possibly even admitting his curse and causing fear and controversy - who knows?
  • Something to do with Kye coming back to Team Caiden because some certain old "friends" from the Underworld are now trying to take him back. But that sounds really absurd, so is Kye just freaking out, or is this for real? This is a really loose idea right now, but one I'm playing with. Could end up getting very freaky and scary, and going places players would not ordinarily go. It'd be high fantasy, as opposed to low fantasy.
  • Bringing back the werewolf campaign - possibly even tying it into my Venator idea. Or else leaving them out entirely, and having it be conflict between werewolf packs and other monsters (that was what the campaign was originally going to involve).

Just a few ideas. I have others, but I can't seem to properly articulate them right now, so I'll throw those out later, maybe. :P Any thoughts? Preferences? Ones that people are absolutely uninterested in, if nothing else, so that I can just eliminate those?

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#17 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

• It's actually been longer than I can even remember since I did a straight-up, D&D-style, adventure campaign. Not anything based in civilization, but a long adventure after some goal or another (be it a magical artifact, general gold and glory, whatever else), venturing into dangerous territory, visiting lots of different towns, interacting with a variety of folk, getting side-quests, possibly even picking up new NPCs... pretty much just a standard D&D adventure campaign based around just a fun adventuring party that allows for all kinds of variety and secrets (but not anything too absurd; standard races, etc., nothing like some random orc thrown into the party just to cause us lots of confusion and hang-ups, if you catch my drift).
  • Bringing back the werewolf campaign - possibly even tying it into my Venator idea. Or else leaving them out entirely, and having it be conflict between werewolf packs and other monsters (that was what the campaign was originally going to involve)

As interesting as a mystery RP might be, I've decided to comment mostly on these two, partly because it'd be neat to go on a lengthy DnD adventure - though I feel the distance from civilization might make your emphasis on cash a tad moot for a while :P - and because I happened to be working on a werewolf character, so trying that again could be interesting. Albeit, on second thought, having an RP where we all lose control of our characters half the time seems like a bit of a pain, honestly, but I figure you'd have something either to make up for that or just prevent that from happening too much :P

Soooo overall I'm leaning towards the adventure campaign, though a faction-based mystery or werewolf campaign would make a good second. ^^

#18 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

As specified in the topic, that system is for new characters, not returning ones. People who have been around have already established their inventories.

... In my defense, even knowing that, re-reading the inventory page I can still barely find the language that specifies that. You could've made it a tad clearer. But at least I know now.  :D

I can see your point, but IMO it's also a little weird when you can have a char. who's supposed to be an experienced warrior, and they start with an el-cheapo iron sword and leather armor. Unless those 3 extra items can be used for weapons/armor... can they?

Since we're discussing campaign ideas now, I'm going to go ahead and throw out some of the ones I had over all those days I spent hammering out all these Errant updates...

• It's actually been longer than I can even remember since I did a straight-up, D&D-style, adventure campaign. Not anything based in civilization, but a long adventure after some goal or another (be it a magical artifact, general gold and glory, whatever else), venturing into dangerous territory, visiting lots of different towns, interacting with a variety of folk, getting side-quests, possibly even picking up new NPCs... pretty much just a standard D&D adventure campaign based around just a fun adventuring party that allows for all kinds of variety and secrets (but not anything too absurd; standard races, etc., nothing like some random orc thrown into the party just to cause us lots of confusion and hang-ups, if you catch my drift).
  • Another mystery RP, based around a faction (now leaning toward Inquisitors, as per Sareth's suggestion). I had actually considered a big conspiracy going on in the Venatori, and basing it around Caiden returning to the Order, and possibly even admitting his curse and causing fear and controversy - who knows?
  • Something to do with Kye coming back to Team Caiden because some certain old "friends" from the Underworld are now trying to take him back. But that sounds really absurd, so is Kye just freaking out, or is this for real? This is a really loose idea right now, but one I'm playing with. Could end up getting very freaky and scary, and going places players would not ordinarily go. It'd be high fantasy, as opposed to low fantasy.
  • Bringing back the werewolf campaign - possibly even tying it into my Venator idea. Or else leaving them out entirely, and having it be conflict between werewolf packs and other monsters (that was what the campaign was originally going to involve).

Sorry to not really make your job any easier, but my answer to that list is basically: Yes.

I guess I'd rate the D&D one a touch below the others, if only because its description is rather more vague (and hence a bit bland). 

... And wasn't Kye going to hang out with Neitha and Marcus post Chasing Shadows? You're telling me he left us!?  :cry:

:P

Posted Image

#19 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:17 AM

I'd like to try playing as Garandros, my minifig contest entry, so that seems like the perfect campaign for me...

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#20 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

Yikes, everyone is going for the campaign I feel the most unsure about and actually interests me the least... :P I'll have to give this further thought.

... In my defense, even knowing that, re-reading the inventory page I can still barely find the language that specifies that. You could've made it a tad clearer. But at least I know now.  :D

I can see your point, but IMO it's also a little weird when you can have a char. who's supposed to be an experienced warrior, and they start with an el-cheapo iron sword and leather armor. Unless those 3 extra items can be used for weapons/armor... can they?

... And wasn't Kye going to hang out with Neitha and Marcus post Chasing Shadows? You're telling me he left us!?  :cry:

:P

Hm, I'll see if I can't fix up some of the language, there.

They can, yeah. Should I bump it up to 4 or 5 items, you think?

He was, but these things still could've happened! :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users