Photo

VIDYA GAME SUPERPOLL(tm)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: VIDYA SUPERPOLL

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Favorite Basic FPS Gun Type

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Favorite Classic RPG Class

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

On the GNS Theory spectrum, I mostly fall into...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

Just for fun.

For best results, pick as few multiple options as possible.

No wimping out on the last one though. Pick the one most important to you.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#2 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

-Pistol (duh). The Slinger in me would frown at anything else.

-I guess Rogue. I'm a Hunter in Destiny, and my Stick of Truth characters are all Thieves.

-Narrativist wins out, but just barely. Some of the greatest games of the past decade have been known for their stories as well as the actual game they're tied to.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#3 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,594 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:06 AM

Nooooo, I can't choose.

In FPSes I really like a kind of a semi-automatic rifle kind of thing that I can bambambam away with. Particularly if it makes that really metallic sound like someone hitting an anvil with a hammer. TINK TINK TINK. Something about that really does it for me, in that wonderful finger-to-screen-to-ear-to-brain connection way video games have.

But then I do like a good shotgun, and sometimes I like the cheeky feeling of holding the trigger down for just a little bit too long with an assault rifle, and then I do like a good meaty pistol, too. And I'm not much for sniping, but I do really like it when a game simulates bullet drop and I nail an amazing long shot where I'm basically lobbing the bullet in. The only thing I really don't like is three-round bursts. It's just three times as many bullets for me to miss with.

I'm a little more confident about my RPG class. I want to be a guy or a girl with a sword. Only one sword. No swords is not enough swords, but two swords is too many swords. Swords are the best things for hitting people with, accept no substitutes. Although I do like a good bow and arrow, too. But only if it has proper controls, i.e. you pull the trigger/click the mouse and hold it, and then you let it go to let the arrow go (or put it away without firing it with some other button). Some games make bows control like guns, and that's just the wrong way, I'm afraid.

And now you're killing me with this last one. You are KILLING me, Scorp. I'm dying here, for realsies. I like video games a lot, and I like all of those things about video games. ALL THREE OF THEM Scorp you're killing me.

OK, let's tear the bandaid off and go with narrative. It kills me to say that, because so many of my favourite games are my favourites because I love playing them so much, but I feel like a good story gets me going even moreso. All my biggest gaming loves over the years, like my Japanese animes Metal Gears, my Mass Effects, my Yakuzas, even my Horizon Zero Dawns from earlier this year; when I get into a video game story I really get in to a video game story.

So let's go Shotgun, Warrior, Narrative, then. I hope you're happy about this wringer you've put me through, Scorp.

#4 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

When I noticed you "Like" the post without voting, I thought you might be struggling with that last question, Occy. :P It's a toughie, I know. Of course, I'm a total Narrativist myself. I've enjoyed a lot of games just for their gameplay, and some games just for the immersion, but all of my favorite games I enjoyed for the story.

Agreed on gun sounds, btw. The pistol in Half-Life 1 had such a satisfying crack!... and in Half-Life 2 a great little pop

I of course tend toward the good headshot guns during general FPS play (pistols, burst-fire, etc.), but my favorite guns are all crazy novelty weapons like the Cerebral Bore I mentioned:

Unfortunately those seem less common today. :( Crazy novelty guns were everywhere in oldschool single-player FPS games (Doom, Turok, Half-Life 1, etc.), but as multiplayer balance took prominence, we ended up with games like Destiny, where it's set in the far-flung magical future, but the guns? Assault rifle, burst-fire rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, etc. etc.

Under RPG class, I voted for Ranger. I've always gravitated toward Ranger, because they're the coolest dudes, able to survive in the wilderness and fight with the best of 'em, like Aragorn.

Sadly, Rangers too have declined over the years. My first RPG, Baldur's Gate 1, ran on 2nd Edition aD&D, so the Ranger could wear heavy plate armor and swing a 2-handed sword if that's how you wanted to play. In later editions of D&D, Rangers lost their abilities if they wore anything heavier than leather, and their health pool was the same as a Cleric's instead of a Fighter's. And now you had to choose between Legolas style bow skill, or Drizzt-style dual-weapon skill - no Aragorn-style 2-handed sword skill in sight. The same decline of Rangers happened in World of Warcraft. WoW Hunters could simultaneously equip a bow, quiver, and dual swords when WoW first launched, but players complained about hunters rolling Need on basically every type of weapon, so Blizzard cut them down to just shooting things while hiding behind their pet (in Legion they have a spear spec, but it's weird).

Aaaaanyway, now Thrawnie has screwed with my poll. The superpoll tradition lives on. :lol:

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

I can answer this one pretty easily, overall. Although I usually use a variety of weapons, so the first one might've been hardest for me. I like pistols, but I usually traffic in some kind of rifles... overall, I'd have to say a straight-up assault rifle is my favorite. Because I'll be blunt - I'm a soldier. I'm a warrior. I'm tough as nails, a sharpshooter with various kind of rifles, and yet I also really, really want to get up in your face with a melee weapon. Or my fists. :P

So I went assault rifle/burst-fire rifle/sniper rifle, warrior/paladin/druid (the last one usually for when they can turn into werewolves in some games), and Narrativist.

I'm a complete and total narrativist. I am there for the story. Obviously I want to enjoy the gameplay, too, and I love any good simulation... but really, it's all about stories for me - stories, characters, emotions. I can play most any kind of game if the story draws me in. I enjoy an extremely wide variety of gameplay, and sometimes, even if I don't find the gameplay entirely fun, I'll keep playing just because I like the story. I get way too invested in a really and truly good video game story. Games have made me shed many tears and get many feels. And of course I way too invested in... certain characters...

So, yes, I'm absolutely 100% narrativist.

gallery_3_16_35909.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

I guess I should get some kind of post up to explain my own choices >u>

I personally voted for shotguns and crazy guns, when it comes to weaponry. Shotguns are my first true love in any particular shooter (mostly because I'm plain bad at aiming for people's heads, or at them in general beyond a certain range. Also high burst damage, baby) but crazy guns often turn out to be more fun in games that have them. In Warframe in particular, I've gathered combinations of the two. Automatic shotguns that fire more ammo per shot the longer you hold the trigger, a small cannon that floods a fair-sized area with a wace of radiation, a gorram rifle that shoots glass to explode and carve up clusters of bad guys...

I also had to pick the mage when it came to voting for classes. I am and always will have a love for technical magic, pouring over spellbooks and immersing myself in the minutiae of complex systems like Pathfinder's and D&D's. And there's nothing quite like being able to hurl a fireball or simply grow the Barbarian to massive size to deal with a crowd. Choices, choices...

For the final choice, though, I had to go gamist.

It's not that I dislike simulation games or narrative games; I have a good few hundred hours put into Arma, as well as a couple games I've barely touched if only because I played the story once and felt satisfied (i.e. Undertale, for example. Still can't bring myself to do a genocide run). However, I place gameplay over this because I often find solid gameplay can help you create your own stories. For example, Planetside 2: most times I pp
op into this massive-scaled Battlefield-esque shooter, I end up as part of a campaign or loosely-tied squad battling across a continent. I have both witnessed and led charges I still try to put into words around other people - and often fail because I'm a socially awkward mess IRL. However, my point is that ultimately I get a lot of really cool war stories out of Planetside 2, an all-multiplayer PvE shioter, because of its solid gameplay features that help craft those experiences. It's kind of amazing and I regularly find myself wishing for similar experiences.

Anyway, that's about it. Soyeah.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#7 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

I guess I'll explain my votes as well. 

The preferred weapon thing depends on what situation I'm in. For example, I prefer a machine gun for most normal combat situations, a shotgun for obvious reasons, something that makes explosions because I am crap at aiming in console games, and exotic weapons if I want to do something weird.

I honestly love all these classes (and you can bet I'll do some sort of comic out of the poll thing), but I gotta go with paladin, because Holy Knights are the best at dealing with heretics. :D

I really haven't played too many games recently, so I'm probably not the best for answering this question, but I've gotta go with story. To me, a game can be incredibly immersive and have sweet gameplay, but if it doesn't have a good story to go along with it, I'm going to opt out. For example, one of my friends is recommending that I should play Shadow of War (I am somewhat interested in the game-play mechanic of mind controlling an army of enemy minions), but I am staying away at the moment because it somehow managed to rape ruin the Tolkien canon even more than the hobbit movies did.

Didn't vote for any God-Emperor stuff because THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

#8 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

Full-Auto Rifle: I'm a frontline fighter at heart. I love being in the thick of battle with my comrades.

Paladin: While some play the holier than thou pally, I'm more akin to the Diablo 3 Crusader. I don't care what you wield, just as long as you're fighting for the side of good!

Gamist: Honestly, I just want to have some fun! If I find a game fun, I'll play it.

Nuff said...

:lego_smile:

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!

Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
8.jpg

gandalf-spin-o.gif

#9 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,594 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

On the subject of Ocelot's two favourite things to shoot guys with, I was just playing Wolfenstein The New Colossus, and that game lets you use a semi-automatic rifle and a shotgun at the same time.. One trigger for shooting guys far away, one for shooting guys up close; I was in heaven.

Why doesn't every game let you dual-wield guns? In Wolfenstein you can press Up on the D-pad to pull out another gun of the same variety you were already using, or use the regular weapon wheel to mix and match which gun you want in which hand, and it's the best thing. You can make so many guys not be alive any more with both hands full of shotguns. Sometimes I like to fire them both at the same time, sometimes I like to go left/right/left/right, sometimes I'll only shoot guys to the left of me with the left one and to the right of me with the right; it's like a whole extra game within a game.

#10 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

I have been called, I must answer.

• 1,354 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

Splendid, a poll that makes me think about my decisions while still being fun!  Let's take a look...

1. Full-Auto Machine Gun - say hello to my little friend  

I made the mistake of going through the poll without reading the initial post first, since I'm a bit rusty.  Narrowing my choices down to one per category probably made this easier, anyway.  While I do enjoy a good medium-to-long range DMR or other headshot-reliant weapon against the predictable, more linear AI, I'm usually too inaccurate against human players to make full use of such weapons in multiplayer.  Thus, I go for fire superiority and high ammo capacity, suppressing and burst-firing to my heart's content.

2. Paladin - the holier-than-thou version of Warrior

Well, SOMEONE has to be the moral compass at times, especially with all these chaotic, antihero whippersnappers running around and not playing by the rules.  But besides getting the authority to switch between crotchety dad and knight in shining armor at will, I often enjoy the versatility of being able to heal party members who need it, while still being able to join the fight at the front line.  As a healer, nothing frustrates me more than getting killed before I can help my team (protect your Mercy, Overwatch players, cough cough).  In addition, Paladins often get cool armor.  Need I say more?

3.  Narrativist - Games inspire me most as a unique interactive storytelling medium.

This question really took the least consideration of the three, for me.  While of course I want to have fun and for my games to look like some effort went into the visuals, what really keeps me playing long past my self-imposed bedtime is a compelling story that has me begging, "what happens next?"  Whether I am making the story myself through in-game choices and mechanics, or piecing together a well-crafted epic from a game writer who actually cares about their work product, a plot that I can follow and enjoy will improve my opinion of a game no matter what bugs or pitfalls I discover within. (Naturally, this goodwill is not unlimited, but that goes without saying.)  Conversely, even when I am playing a game for simple, mindless fun, if there is any dialogue I find myself judging its quality, and if their story appears half-baked it will sour the rest of the experience for me. 

I never know how to end these posts...Quick!  I must make my escape while illustrating my first point with...

Spoiler

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users