The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7613 replies to this topic

#7601 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:50 AM

Microsoft have just announced that they're bringing back the X0 conference they used to do (you might remember X06 being the one with those great old trailers for Bioshock and Assassin's Creed 1), with X018 being scheduled for November 10th this year.

I'm always up for more mini-E3s spread throughout the year, so I can't wait to see what they have to show. Maybe the Splinter Cell reveal we didn't get at E3? The new game Ninja Theory have been working on? Maybe the DMC5 V reveal, since Microsoft seems to have marketing rights? Should be gooood.

Also here's some gameplay footage from Remedy's new game Control:

I'm hoping I'll like this one more than Quantum Break. I love Remedy but QB was just a miserable slog of slow-walking, TV-watching and endless lore collectibles.

EDIT - And it's a good thing that Microsoft's doing an extra show, too, because apparently Sony isn't doing PSX this year. Conspiracy theories are already flying that it's because they're gearing up for a PS5 reveal event in early 2019.

#7602 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

I am un-ironically excited for this:

#7603 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

The next part of Rockstar's RDR2 preview series is up:

The hype is getting real. My 10-year-old plasma TV has just developed a thick black line of dead pixels, as if it's sacrificing itself for the greater good to force me to get a 4K TV to play this bad boy.

#7604 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:29 AM

I swear I'm being completely honest and not trying to be a hipster when I say that mainstream AAA games very rarely pique my interest in the slightest. BUT, here are RDR2 and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey sitting in my Amazon cart...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#7605 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:20 PM

Depending on which Assassin's Creed you played last, Odyssey might be a real breath of fresh air. They completely overhauled the control scheme in last year's one (the imaginatively-titled Origins), so it plays like a proper action video game instead of Euro Truck Simulator on foot, and they also turned the game into an pseudo-RPG. Unfortunately they only did the number-crunching part of an RPG, i.e. you gained XP and leveled up, and enemies got stronger to the point where you couldn't kill them in one stab to the neck any more so you had to go and level up somewhere else for a while. I wasn't a huge fan of that, but apparently they're bringing in the other part of RPGs for Odyssey: the choices! I only skimmed a couple of reviews but I saw a lot of praise for player choice and good, meaty sidequests and characters, so I'm actually pretty excited for this one.

Also you get to play as a girl with big muscles :P

#7606 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

It's been running the rumor mill all year, but it's looking pretty close to official now:

Microsoft is bringing Obsidian Entertainment into First Party.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#7607 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

It's been running the rumor mill all year, but it's looking pretty close to official now:

Microsoft is bringing Obsidian Entertainment into First Party.

RIP_Tombstone.jpg

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#7608 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

Microsoft is throwing some serious money around. Since E3 they now own:

- The Initiative, a new studio

- Undead Labs, the people who made the State of Decay games
- Playground Games, the ones who make Forza Horizon

- Compulsion Games, the We Happy Few people

- Ninja Theory, of Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, DmC and Hellblade fame

...and now Obsidian, apparently. This one is extra surprising since Obsidian had been working on a massive Xbox One launch-ish era exclusive RPG named Stormlands that ended up getting canceled. I guess there's no bad blood between them, though. Hopefully this will mean a secure source of money for them going forward, since it seems like they've been running on fumes the past few years. I'd love to see Microsoft fund some kind of exciting big budget RPG from them. Maybe one where you play as, oh I don't know, some kind of spy, for instance. Something with a lot of player choice and an excellent conversation system and a crazy level of branching to the story paths. Something with a cool espionage-sounding code name for a title, maybe...

#7609 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

I felt compelled to edit a classic:

kxFL4m9.jpg

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#7610 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:08 AM

I'm going to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt on this one. They had a bad start to the generation, but they're obviously trying hard to get things in order again for the next go around. What they've been doing for the past few years with their backwards compatibility has been awesome, their Games with Gold offerings seem to be really good, and Gamepass seems almost too good to be true. I've been giving serious thought to buying an Xbox One and never actually buying any games, just getting a Gamepass subscription and playing basically every big Xbox game that has come out in the last few years. The only reason I haven't is because I know there'll be a new Xbox coming within the next couple of years and I can just wait for one of those (plus it's not like I don't have enough games to play right now anyway :P).

I think, or at least I hope, that Microsoft's studio-killing, game-cancelling days are behind them.

#7611 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

Hey, I mean, here's hoping. Obsidian haven't exactly been knocking it out of the park in recent years anyway - Chris Avellone and a few other names have left, and I want to love Pillars of Eternity, but it just doesn't capture that old-school feeling the way it should. A handful of Russian guys already did a better job of that with Pathfinder: Kingmaker... with help from Chris Avellone.

If MS gets Obsidian to make another Alpha Protocol or similar - perhaps with more budget and polish - then all is forgiven. But I still won't be surprised if Obsidian goes the way of Black Isle in a few years and has to rise again under a different name. So it goes.

Hopefully they'll get Obsidian to play to their strengths and not assign them to some bizarre task like a Destiny clone, like EA has done with Bioware.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#7612 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:22 PM

No joke, you could literally do just that. Xbox One and a game pass sub. You got access to all the exclusives. All 2 of them XD. But in seriousness

-Halo MCC (which is now fixed, and has CE, 2, 3, ODST, and 4 with CE and 2 remastered with new graphics)

-Halo 5 (bad story, but still very fun campaign, great multiplayer and custom games but no splitscreen so....monkey's paw)

-Sunset Overdrive (all the 90s you can handle and more.)

-Quantum Break (eehhhhhhhhh, but still, basically free)

-Forza Horizon 4 (ye boi, now we talking.)

-Super Lucky's Tale (asides from like the most inoffensive marketing ever and completely forgettable at that, still surprisingly fun if you're looking for a 90s platformer throwback)

-Entire Gears of War series (all very good games)

-Ryse (I mean, it's aight)

-State of Decay 1 and 2 (pretend 1 doesn't exist and enjoy 2. Not my kind of game, but very good management game.)

-Fable series

and that's just the exclusives. It's got tons of 3rd party support. Many of Bethesda's published games like Doom, Wolf TNO, Fallout 3/4, etc. are on there, Metro series, Tomb Raider, stuff from the 360 and even OG xbox days like Star Wars KOTOR

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#7613 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:24 AM

Hopefully they'll get Obsidian to play to their strengths and not assign them to some bizarre task like a Destiny clone, like EA has done with Bioware.

You mean you aren't hyped for APaaS (Alpha Protocol as a Service), the always-online loot'em'up where we swear it's all about your story and definitely not about endlessly making health bars go down so your numbers can go up at a carefully calculated rate that's fast enough to keep you interested but not so fast that you won't be interested in buying microtransactions that make the numbers go up faster?

No joke, you could literally do just that. Xbox One and a game pass sub. You got access to all the exclusives. All 2 of them XD. But in seriousness

I'm reeeeaaally tempted to do it. I just bought a new 4K TV, and (seeing as Sony didn't see fit to put a 4K Blu Ray drive in my PS4 Pro) I'm going to need something to play 4K Blu Rays on, so I think I'll be keeping an eye out for cheap Xbox One Ses come Black Friday.

#7614 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:18 PM

One last trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 before it leaves a giant crater in the world of video games as we know them in one short week:

It might be worth checking your PS4/XB1 hard drives beforehand to see if you have enough space to install this bad boy, too, because it's a big one. Rockstar's official support page sez:

Disc Installation:

PS4 - 99 GB installation space
Xbox One - 107 GB installation space

Digital Installation:

PS4 - 99 GB installation space with an additional 50GB for the installation process
Xbox One - 107 GB installation space

It sounds like it might actually come on two discs, so at least you won't have to download an extra 50GB if you get the physical version.

In other news, you're going to be able to kill Sean Bean in Hitman 2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users