The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7515 replies to this topic

#7481 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:52 AM

Here's a Reddit post by the actual guy in the video, Chris Lee, Member of the Hawaii House of Representatives:

ZibosRj.png

Seems like a good bloke to me.

EA's mistake was probably doing all this rubbish to a Star Wars game. Case in point, it seems like the most recent Need for Speed game shipped with one of the worst implementations of microtransaction-focused design yet, with some straight up F2P mobile game cards and timers in a full price console game, but it flew under the radar because nobody can really muster the effort to care about the fiftieth NFS game. It's the Star Wars name that bought Battlefront 2 all this attention from mainstream media, though, because everyone knows what a Star Wars is.

This was always going to be the way, though. If I asked you "Which publisher is going to be responsible for taking all this stuff so far that the government has to get involved", it was always going to be EA.

#7482 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Patron
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

This was always going to be the way, though. If I asked you "Which publisher is going to be responsible for taking all this stuff so far that the government has to get involved", it was always going to be EA.

That's assuming that there isn't already another large company/companies in the US actively trying to screw people over and have been excused for it, to the point where the government has been involved and has the chance of them getting involved again to LET them go back to screwing people.

EDIT: Oh hey, you know that link you posted stating that the Belgian gaming commission stated that loot boxes are gambling Ocelot?  Turns out that wasn't true, as the chairman of that gaming commission, Etienne Marique, stated that no conclusion has been reached yet.

In fact, the person who was moving to try and have them banned is Justice Minister Koen Greens.  He stated his opinion on this matter, not that it's been stated to have been found to be gambling.  In fact your link updated with the prior facts, so no, they aren't going to be banned anytime soon, and no official organization is claiming them to be gambling so they still won't be banned or regulated any time soon.  Sorry to burst your bubble.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7483 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'm starting to see a pattern develop in this thread.

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#7484 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:14 AM

On a different note, there's a demo for Yakuza Kiwami 2 available on the Japanese PSN store right now. It's a bit of a hassle to create a Japanese PSN account, but once you do you'll be able to play a video game that lets you do this:

v45ZVCF.gif

qWCzJdy.gif

While listening to this:

EDIT - Also, Polyphony Digital is patching a whole load of stuff into Gran Turismo Sport this month and next, including more cars and some semblance of the classic GT singleplayer stuff that was absent from the game at launch. It's free, too. It seems they've got stuff planned through to March next year, though they don't say whether it'll all be free. 

So this game launched a month ago at $79 Australian, with so little singleplayer content that I just wasn't interested in it. Tomorrow it's dropping to $29 as part of Black Friday stuff, and a month after that it's getting a bunch of new stuff patched in. I don't know if it's a reaction to poor sales or if this was always the plan, but, hey, I'll take it either way.

#7485 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

Firaxis has recently announced an upcoming expansion (on the level that Gods and Kings and Brave New World was for Civ V) call Rise and Fall.  And well, this is your friendly reminder that Sean Bean always dies in his role in anything (the second time this has happened with Civ VI, who if you didn't know, he voices the narrator in game)

Key features being pointed out for this Expansion include a return, yet revamped version, of Golden Ages, and an appearance of it's opposite, Dark Ages.  Loyalty of your cities is also coming, giving a more passive/non-aggressive way for you to lose control of your cities (be it to other civs or have the cities leave and form their own state).  On top of this loyalty, Governors are now a more fleshed out system to help contribute to loyalty.  Alliances are getting an overhaul and are more fleshed out, no longer being just two civs teaming up, they now can be made for a specific purpose, Military, Research, Economic, Cultural, or Religious.  Each with their own levels and benefits for the type.  Emergency Situations are also stepping into Civ to provide a check and balance system to avoid one player/civ from getting a massive advantage and dominating the game, as well as if one civ performs an action that outshines others, like converting a Holy City or using a Nuclear Weapon (sounds like Gandhi will have a lot of Civs on him in quite a few rounds).  And to round it out, 8 new Civilizations and 9 new leaders will be brought into the fold with this expansion.  It is set to release on February 8th. 

Oh, and you Australians have been getting quite a bit of recognition in video games as of late.  Battlefield 1 having a whole singleplayer storyline set around the ANZACs, plus they are being heavily featured in the Turning Tides DLC for BF1 (for half of the DLC in fact).  The previously mentioned Civilization VI added John Curtin and Australia as a playable Civilization in a singular Civ Expansion, and more recently, Rising Storm 2 Vietnam fully revealed and released the Bushranger update, bringing Australians into the jungles of Vietnam, complete with new weapons, maps, vehicles, commander abilities, player character voice, and customization options all for you guys in the land down under.  Have the trailer to go along with that too.  

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7486 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

I hope you dweebs like free games, because The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is free on the Humble Store right now. It's that third-person shooter they made out of XCOM years ago, that I don't remember being especially well-liked, but hey it's free stop complaining.

We also have what seems to be an unintentional confirmation of a Nintendo Direct coming in January, thanks to this roadmap of the pre-release plans for Fe, that EA indie game you might remember from a couple of E3s ago:oYvVWs9.png

Get hype. Hopefully we'll see some hot Metroid Prime action, and maybe those teases from Platinum a couple of months ago will amount to something.

And our ol' pal Geoff Keighley has posted a trailer for his Game Awards for next week, which ends with a tease that our other ol' pal Hideo Kojima is going to be there. Death Stranding, baby. Didjuu raiku itto?

#7487 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,086 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:35 AM

plus they are being heavily featured in the Turning Tides DLC for BF1 (for half of the DLC in fact).

That's sort of true... the medic has been reskinned to be like an Australian soldier and the scout class is apparently Maori but there is reportedly no new voice overs to replace the British accents (though the DLC is not out yet so we'll see). The Allied faction in Turning Tides is also still British rather than ANZAC. From a historical point of view I don't have an issue with this because the two maps representing the Gallipoli campaign are of Cape Helles and Achi Baba which is where the main British forces fought. I guess some ANZAC might have been there but they are obviously known for fighting at ANZAC cove. In all honesty I was expecting Turning Tides to be about the ANZACs landing as the Gallipoli campaign is much more culturally significant to them than anyone else *shrugs*

I will credit DICE - they have done well to broadly capture the different theatres of war. The developers had previously stated that they hoped BF1 would open up interest in WW1 again (especially in the U.S) and I think they have done this better than expected due to implementation of codex and the breadth of material they have covered. My only criticism is that the western front maps are nearly all late war and the trenches are massively under represented due to, well, game play reasons. Hopefully the final expansion will balance this out and set the maps during the Somme, Passchendaele or Vimy.

#7488 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

Oh, you may not have heard, but two more 360 titles were just added to the Backwards Compatibility line up.  One of which, Sonic Adventure 2, which I couldn't care less for.  The other has the child in me screaming at the top of their lungs for how much of a blast from the past this is for me: Earth Defense Force 2017.  I don't know how many hours my brothers and I sunk into that game.  It was just so stupidly fun.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7489 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:52 AM

Oh, you may not have heard, but two more 360 titles were just added to the Backwards Compatibility line up.  One of which, Sonic Adventure 2, which I couldn't care less for.  The other has the child in me screaming at the top of their lungs for how much of a blast from the past this is for me: Earth Defense Force 2017.  I don't know how many hours my brothers and I sunk into that game.  It was just so stupidly fun.

Hah, that'll be interesting to see in Digital Foundry's inevitable video. The Earth Defence Force games are notorious for not wasting frames. Who needs thirty of them every single second when you could have another couple of giant ants on screen? I wonder if the Xbox One X will be able to brute force a stable framerate.

In other news, RCPS3, the Playstation 3 emulator, seems to be coming along really nicely:

I'm guessing it's a long way off working as well as something like, say, Dolphin does, but it's pretty impressive all the same. Ten years ago Sony talked about how people would want to get second jobs to afford the incredible technological beast that was the PS3, and now it's already being emulated. They had some Heavenly Sword footage running at 11FPS, which is pretty close to how the game performs on a real PS3 :P

#7490 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hell is Empty

I'm not ready for it to be over.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#7491 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:58 PM

Chris Lee, the Hawaiian politician who called out Battlefront 2's lootboxes, has laid out his plan hoping to address all this awfulness in video games, including prohibiting the sale of games containing "gambling mechanisms" to anyone under 21, and requiring the odds of getting what you're looking for to be made clear.

The Game Awards are less than 24 hours away as of right now, and Geoff is teasing: “At least two games are brand-new game worlds that no one has ever seen before,” Keighley said. “It becomes a sport to guess which ones they will be.” And remember that Geoff-chan's senpai Kojima-kun's going to be there, too, so get hype for that Death Stranding goodness.

Also, here's a cool thing:

A PS2-themed PS4 theme, with all the right sound effects.

Finally, what's the most cynical joke prediction you can come up with to the rumour that a new Portal game is coming? Portal VR? Portal card game? How about a Portal-themed Bridge Constructor:

#7492 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:42 AM

Well this is interesting.  THQ Nordic is teasing a new game through their site, with the reveal set for tomorrow (or rather, in 18 hours from the time of this post)  

No other details than the tag #endlesswinter.  As you would expect, speculations are flying.  Some people believing a new Red Faction, some believe a new IP, and other going anywhere, from a licensed title to one of the dozen other titles that THQ Nordic picked up over the years.  Either way, we'll be finding out tomorrow.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7493 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

OOOOOOOH DUUUUUUUUDE!

IT. IS. HAPPENING!

IT IS HAPPENING SO HARD, YOU GUYS!

Capcom just announced an HD Remake of the HD Remake of the Devil May Cry 1, 2 and 3 Collection for PS4, Xbox One and PC. It comes out March 2018, and if you don't think this is Capcom hyping up the incoming announcement of DMCV then you are KIDDING YOURSELF BECAUSE IT TOTALLY IS!

AND GEOFF KEIGHLEY RETWEETED IT WHICH TOTALLY MEANS IT'S HAPPENING! TOTALLLLLLLY!

ZGKv4ie.png

#7494 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

I wonder how Ocelot will feel if it turns out the game they are putting out, if it is a new DMC, is a sequel to it's reboot and not DMCV.  

And in other news, Homefront is currently going for free on Humble Bundle.  And that THQ Nordic Game getting teased?  Turns out it's a new IP, called Fade To Silence.  The game was technically "leaked" (using the loosest possible use of it) ahead of Schedule via it's Steam Store Listing.  

About the game from the Steam Store page:

As the player you take the role of Ash, a natural but tormented leader. In that role you explore a post-apocalyptic, frozen wasteland to gather the resources necessary to establish a refuge for survival. With dwindling resources, simple tasks like upgrading equipment and collecting materials quickly require an expedition to scavenge the necessary items. In the search for survival materials, players must navigate a vast territory, in which they will encounter Eldritch monsters and an even greater foe: the unrelenting winter. While freezing temperatures constantly take their toll on the player Ash, the deadliest event is that of a blizzard. If caught by surprise, it takes every ounce of skill, determination and luck to survive. 

In order to survive and overcome all challenges, the player needs to attract followers, bringing them into thei refuge. Each individual skillset and character traits grants access to higher tier resources and gear. Without such advances, the player character can scavenge only the barest necessities, crafting makeshift tools and weapons.

• Explore a vast winter landscape: The launch version lets you explore a river delta, a dense forest region and cultivated farmland of an 8km² area.
  • Wolf Sled Expeditions: Pack your sled, take a follower with you and engage in long term expeditions into the farthest regions.
  • Fight System: Tiered weapon system, melee and ranged combat.
  • Moral choices: Save and recruit various NPCs to join your group.
  • Harsh choices have to be made; who do you take, who do you leave behind. Battle increasingly dangerous Eldritch creatures that roam an apocalyptic world.
  • Trust your inner voice. It is your friend.

The game appears to be a open world, post eldritch apocalyptic arctic survival horror game.  No FULL release date yet, but it turns out it's releasing to an open Early Access NEXT WEEK (December 14th 2017).

And finally, Ubisoft has delayed Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and an unannounced title.  Far Cry 5 is now set for March 27th, The Crew 2, getting the hardest delay, is set for sometime between April and September (at that point that's not a window, that's a hanger door), and the unannounced title is set for the 2019-2020 fiscal year (originally set for 2018-2019).  Apparently Ubisoft is citing AC:Origins on to giving their games more time as the main influence on this decision.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7495 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

I wonder how Ocelot will feel if it turns out the game they are putting out, if it is a new DMC, is a sequel to it's reboot and not DMCV. 

I would shoot myself and then everyone else, but we don't have to worry about that because it's not happening and DMCV is going to be perfect.

The Game Awards are starting right now, btw:

EDIT - Turns out they're doing a half-hour pre-show, and the first new game reveal is a zombie thing. Oh boy. Geoff says "You don't want to miss the last five minutes of the pre-show", but then he's also doing something about 'trending gamers' before that so I don't know if I can take it.

EDIT - Nier Automata wins best soundtrack. I'll give it to'em. The thing Geoff was teasing was a VR thing, btw. Kill me.

EDIT - There was a tease of the next game from From Software. Just a shot of some diabolical fleshy rope machinery thing for like ten seconds and the words "Shadows Die Twice". No idea if that's a game title or just trailer words. So... get hype? Maybe? The show's starting for real now.

EDIT - They're doing a medley of game music from this year, but they're not holding long enough on any individual song for it to be satisfying. Someone played the Mario theme on an Otamatone.

EDIT - Creators of Firewatch (the Idle Thumbs podcast people) are making a cool-looking Egypt tomb raiding kinda thing. Actually the longer the trailer goes on the less cool it looks, because it just seems to be a lot of giving boosts and pulling your AI partner up walls, but I'll still play it. It's called In the Valley of the Gods.

Wolfie, Zachary Levi is here and he's looking really buff! He made a really good joke about microtransactions, too. Chuck doing the lord's work.

EDIT - There was a trailer from Rockstar and I got really hyped for a moment, but then I realised it was just yet another GTA Online thing.

EDIT - GUILLERMO DEL TORO AND HIDEO KOJIMA ARE BOTH HERE! They're presenting the award for Best Art Direction to Cuphead.

EDIT - Eiji Aonuma was on stage dressed as Link, twirling a sword for the new Zelda DLC trailer. It's available tonight, and Link gets a motorbike (also it looks like a really good expansion to the game)

#7496 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Dump the punch, you GET the punch!

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,112 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

Wolfie, Zachary Levi is here and he's looking really buff! He made a really good joke about microtransactions, too. Chuck doing the lord's work.

If I wasn't married to Chris Redfield, I would've married that man already, I swear.

I tuned in to the awards just long enough to - thankfully - catch that bit, thanks to Burgs letting me know about it on Discord. :P I didn't know the awards were tonight, aaahh - I'm so out of it lately. But I can't watch them anyway, cause my internet sucks too bad...

So, once again, I will just go through this thread afterward and read your summary and reactions, Ocey. :P

But YEAH SERIOUSLY THAT MAN'S SHOULDERS. DAYUM, ZAC. <3 I'm hyped are you hyped *ahem* I mean... video games, yes.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7497 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

But YEAH SERIOUSLY THAT MAN'S SHOULDERS. DAYUM, ZAC. <3 I'm hyped are you hyped *ahem* I mean... video games, yes.

Like CANNONBALLS!

EDIT - Bethesda is doing this weird thing about how singleplayer games need to be saved, narrated by Lynda Carter. It's really dumb but I kind of like it :P

EDIT - YOU GUYS, this man is announcing Soul Calibur 6. The same Soul Calibur 6 that was right alongside Devil May Cry 5 in that rumour from last month!

EDIT - Our ol' pal Aisha Tyler came out to give Cuphead another award, and now apparently Norman Reedus is going to be here later.

EDIT - Casey Hudson is on stage like he's our buddy, pretending he didn't kill Mass Effect and then jump ship for a few years and then come back to Bioware to make a never-ending always-online infinite grind loot-box-'em-up.

EDIT - And here's that new THQ Nordic game they were teasing yesterday. It seems to be a miserable survival game that's going to be Early Access next week.

#7498 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

EDIT - And here's that new THQ Nordic game they were teasing yesterday. It seems to be a miserable survival game that's going to be Early Access next week.

All ready put details about it earlier Ocelot.

And that THQ Nordic Game getting teased?  Turns out it's a new IP, called Fade To Silence.  The game was technically "leaked" (using the loosest possible use of it) ahead of Schedule via it's Steam Store Listing.  

About the game from the Steam Store page:

The game appears to be a open world, post eldritch apocalyptic arctic survival horror game.  No FULL release date yet, but it turns out it's releasing to an open Early Access NEXT WEEK (December 14th 2017).

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7499 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,679 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

All ready put details about it earlier Ocelot.

Sorry, I was too hyped to read things :P

NINTENDO JUST ANNOUNCED BAYONETTA 1 & 2 SWITCH PORTS! February 2018 for Bayo, March 2018 for DMC. Anyone would think there was some kind of hype cycle beginning for some new big announcements in the hardcore stylish action genre...

REGGIE IS HERE AND HE'S TEASING

OH GOD HE'S TEASING PLATINUM STUFF

EDIT - IT'S BAYONETTA 3! SWITCH EXCLUSIVE! I CAN'T BREATHE!

I'VE JUST ACTUALLY DIED SOMEONE PLEASE CALL AN AMBULANCE

EDIT - Now it's Death Stranding! Geoff Keighley you madman, you'll kill us all!

#7500 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

I thought I was prepared for just a trailer of Kojima unhinged....

I was wrong.

5Sa8Z49.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users