Interstellar

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,341 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

Some time ago I learned that Christopher Nolan was making a sci-fi movie, and I immediately went into blackout mode. I avoided all the previews and marketing, clamped my hands over my ears when they showed the trailer in front of Guardians of the Galaxy, and I strolled into the theatre today knowing nothing about Interstellar other than the three main actors and the title. k, spoilers.

Spoiler

Did anyone else see it? Let's talk about Interstellar!

#2 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

I saw it.

Eghhhh.

Just watch Contact, Prometheus, Moon, and Gravity, and you'll have watched this movie.

#3 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

iDunno, everyone was saying that this movie looked so awesome and they were so psyched for it, but all I could think of when I saw the trailer was how small and underwhelming everything looked. The whole "showing McConaughey the rocket" scene in the trailer made it look like Michael Caine had built a half-scale Saturn V in his tool shed. Plus that whole "We ran out of food, we don't NEED any more engineers" line really turned me off. Like the filmmakers were saying "herpaderp, silly engineers only build things, why do we need to build stuff to survive?" Hey idiots: Environmental, Waste Management, Civil, Genetic, and Agricultural Engineering just called, they want an excuse not to smack you upside the head.

So yeah, not impressed by the trailer, really skeptical here. I'm going to need a really good reason to go see...

Eghhhh.
Just watch Contact, Prometheus, Moon, and Gravity, and you'll have watched this movie.

Well that just raised all the red flags. I now have a good reason NOT to go see it.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#4 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

It's less cohesive, makes less sense, and has worse dialogue than prometheus.

Interstellar has the same story as Contact (but with the premise of Prometheus), visuals of Gravity (though not as good. Lots of shots of people inside a ship sitting around while the exciting things are happening out of the ship. Yawn.), and the ideas behind Moon.

ugh. I don't even know where to start. You could cut out the entire middle two hours of this movie and the story would be unaffected. There's a movie star that shows up about an hour and a half in, and for about an hour he just created drama for drama's sake. It's hard to explain without spoiling, but basically this movie tries to pull your heart strings because it can, rather than because it has some message to get across. 

Not to mention all of the bad science. They go down to a planet, but on that planet time passes more slowly because "gravity". Later into the movie, time is materialised and manipulated physically. It also has "aliens" that "communicate through gravity because it can transcend dimensions". Also "love is the only thing that can transcend time and space." is a real line from the movie.

Ugh. It wasn't awful, I mean it was perfectly watchable and very pretty to look at, not to mention it's always fun to watch Matthew McCghghghasghnahay, but this is not the next 2001 :ASO.

At least it wasn't as bad as The Prestige though.

One more thing, was it just my theater or was the audio mixing on this movie friggin' terrible? I couldn't hear any of the dialogue over the music. Especially when everyone mumbled their lines and the music was BOOOOM BASS DRAMATIC AREN'T YOU EMOTIONAL YET BOOOOOOOM BASS

#5 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

I was about to walk into this thread and give my thoughts on it, but I see that the bases have been thoroughly covered on what I thought. Carry on then.

Spoiler

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is now on Steam!

Halo Reach available now, CE Anniversary/H2 Anniversary/H3/ODST/H4 coming in 2020.

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#6 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:35 AM

lol thread backfire :P

So you guys really didn't like it, huh? I can definitely see the Prometheus comparison, but I feel like Interstellar makes good on a lot of the same themes that Prometheus fumbled. It's a Prometheus that holds up better under scrutiny, y'know? And... well, I like Prometheus. I totally see why people don't, but I loved the bits I loved hard enough to overlook all the bits I didn't. And with Interstellar I just loved the whole thing. Lurved it.

Spoiler

In conclusion: everyone is wrong except me. Again. No tongue face because I'm 100% cereal.

#7 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

Due tho

what if instead of just talking about four dimensions, we talk about FIVE?!

Spoiler

#8 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

I guess I can get where you're coming from Ocey, but once, just ONCE I want a sci-fi movie that's good and doesn't have anything like:

- Idiot scientists that don't listen when you yell "Dude! Don't touch that!" at them.

- Random Deus-Ex-Technomagic crap at the end.

- Evil aliens trying to wipe out humanity because reasons.

- Stuff that would be very impressive and thought provoking had I not seen it already in a Star Trek episode and/or Miyazaki movie.

- People saying "shut up and enjoy it, it's fiction!"

I've got nothing for you brosephs on the pseudo-science front.

This. This right here is my problem. I don't want "pseudo-science"*. I don't want to have to suspend my disbelief with a friggin' tower crane just to get it out of my face. And I don't want to be accused of being some kind of sci-fi hipster because THE GUY WHO MADE THE GORRAM MAP GETTING LOST breaks my immersion! 

What I want is for there to be a writer like Arthur C. Clarke out there again. What I want is for a movie that can engage and tell an awesome story without fudging it or handwaving things because "future science = magic lol".  In short: I want my damned Rendezvous With Rama movie already!

Sorry, that was rantier and more hostile than I intended. I just hate being told I need to turn off my brain to enjoy SCIENCE fiction, and Prometheus is one of my top five most hated movies of all time. It brings out the worst in me. -_-

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#9 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, Ter don't see Interstellar then. Nearly all of those things happen in Interstellar.

By the way can i just bring up that they left the planet with 130% Earth gravity in a little Star Trek shuttle, made it to orbit, and docked with a space station, but had to use a traditional rocket to escape Earth's (weaker) gravitational pull? What was with that?

#10 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,341 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

I don't think there's anything on the level of Prometheus' dopey-ness in Interstellar. Nobody pops their helmet off on an alien planet and tries to make friends with a very-clearly-dangerous Space Viper. Nobody tries to run in a straight line to avoid a big cartoony cartwheeling spaceship thing. There isn't a parkour-ing frog monster man thing. They didn't cast a young man to play an old man for no reason at all.

(Though, to be fair, casting a young man as an old man is one of the most brilliant things ever, because all through the movie you're expecting him to magically turn young again [because why else would they do it?], and then it never happens. It's just so weird!)

This. This right here is my problem. I don't want "pseudo-science"*. I don't want to have to suspend my disbelief with a friggin' tower crane just to get it out of my face. And I don't want to be accused of being some kind of sci-fi hipster because THE GUY WHO MADE THE GORRAM MAP GETTING LOST breaks my immersion! 

That's totally fine, ain't nothing wrong with wanting more science out of your science fiction. However, I don't think you can knock a movie for not being the movie you want it to be when it was obviously never intended to be that movie. Science Fiction movies aren't graded on how closely they adhere to real world science; 'science' and 'fiction' get equal billing in the name of the genre, after all. I agree that you're probably not going to like Interstellar, but the bits you're not going to like aren't a failing on the part of the script or the researchers or the direction or whatevs. I'd also love to see a big budget blockbuster that's as careful with its science as something like Primer, but that obviously wasn't the movie Christopher Nolan set out to make.

Also, you can have my 'broseph's when you pry them from my cold, dead hands :P

By the way can i just bring up that they left the planet with 130% Earth gravity in a little Star Trek shuttle, made it to orbit, and docked with a space station, but had to use a traditional rocket to escape Earth's (weaker) gravitational pull? What was with that?

To save fuel for the journey? (Real answer: rocket launch scenes are super cool)

EDIT - Oh wait, also, I will never in my life tell anyone to 'turn their brain off' to enjoy something. That's the worst thing in the world and I hate it so much. If you can't enjoy a thing whole-heartedly (and whole-brainedly) then it's not worth your time. Life's too short to convince yourself you like a thing that your body and mind are telling you that you don't like. So, in short, Ter, you shouldn't see Interstellar, but I also want everyone to know that I absolutely loved Interstellar and my brain was 100% on the entire time. We just have different tolerance levels for certain aspects of sci fi :P

#11 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:54 AM

I've heard it described as a sci-fi comedy. Generally, I tend to stray away from Nolan's work.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#12 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

No Occy, nobody does those things, they just fail to notice that a 200 foot wave is right behind them.  :lego_hehe:

#13 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Member
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

See, I went in to Interstellar knowing I'd at least love it because I'm a space nut. I've watched so many horrible space movies and loved them more than I ever should have just because of the spaceships and the space stations and the space suites...

So, I saw the trailer for Interstellar and I knew I was on board because Christopher Nolan was directing a movie that would have bits taking place in the outer spaces! But you know what's weird? As much as I adored the rockets and the space stations and just the spacey-ness of Interstellar, I walked out of the theater thinking that I liked the movie as the movie, not merely for bits of it that I guiltily enjoyed.

For some silly reason I thought Interstellar was going to be a straight-forward movie. So when stuff got a little weird it took me a second to realize, this is a Chris Nolan film... this is legal.

But as great as the acting was and as much as I loved the characters, I'm telling you... those robots, man. CASE and TARS... they just were the best. Like R2 and 3P0 best. I mean, anything happened, and I immediately freaked out for the sake of those guys!

I don't understand one iota of the flack peeps are giving this movie. Interstellar is phenomenal. It's Christopher Nolan at his best.

#14 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:17 AM

Don't get me wrong. CASE and TARS were awesome. But...ugh those last 20 minutes just stunk all over the rest of the movie.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is now on Steam!

Halo Reach available now, CE Anniversary/H2 Anniversary/H3/ODST/H4 coming in 2020.

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#15 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

Dude I loved it. I watch very few movies, so I didn't have to drag a bunch of baggage into this one and hope it made me whole of my misgivings towards other sci-fi movies. Baggage like "oh its like x y and z movies" or griping about visuals or anything else. I could just sit down and appreciate the storytelling. And it kicked butt!

You can't read Peter Pan hoping it'll be like Treasure Island just because it has pirates and a youthful protagonist. Just gotta take it as it is and love it for it.

Spoiler

It was largely unpredictable for me, and I enjoyed every second. I was upset when it was over so fast!

Spoiler

So anyways, haters gotta hate. Just go, buy popcorn, bring chocolate and sit down with the intent to enjoy the story presented without trying to measure it against everything else you've ingested in your entertainment mongering!

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#16 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,221 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

But...ugh those last 20 minutes just stunk all over the rest of the movie.

I'm of the mindset that people are all pissy over the ending because they don't understand how a story is supposed to be told when the author intends it to have a happy ending.

The entire movie was about hope and survival, and they couldn't make that work if Coop had died.  Story, man.

I loved the movie.  It was spectacular.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#17 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

I saw it yesterday. I absolutely loved it. About the trailer not showing anything, I appreciated that so much more. Seeing this without knowing everything that was going to happen because of the trailers (which I was trying my best to avoid) really enhanced my own experience. 

Well that just raised all the red flags. I now have a good reason NOT to go see it.

At least it wasn't as bad as The Prestige though.

One more thing, was it just my theater or was the audio mixing on this movie friggin' terrible? I couldn't hear any of the dialogue over the music. Especially when everyone mumbled their lines and the music was BOOOOM BASS DRAMATIC AREN'T YOU EMOTIONAL YET BOOOOOOOM BASS

Vaatu, if that doesn't raise a red flag straight off about this dude's ranting, I'm not really sure what will.

Zimmer produced perhaps one of his most beautiful scores, whose strings tugged at those of the heart. Where you got the "booms" from I'm not quite sure, unless you somehow watched Inception instead of Interstellar. The only dialogue that was drowned out by the music (which I still understood) was some technical mumbo-jumbo not really essential to understand what was going on if you were watching.

I guess I can get where you're coming from Ocey, but once, just ONCE I want a sci-fi movie that's good and doesn't have anything like:

- Idiot scientists that don't listen when you yell "Dude! Don't touch that!" at them.

- Random Deus-Ex-Technomagic crap at the end.

- Evil aliens trying to wipe out humanity because reasons.

- Stuff that would be very impressive and thought provoking had I not seen it already in a Star Trek episode and/or Miyazaki movie.

- People saying "shut up and enjoy it, it's fiction!"

What I want is for there to be a writer like Arthur C. Clarke out there again. What I want is for a movie that can engage and tell an awesome story without fudging it or handwaving things because "future science = magic lol".  In short: I want my damned Rendezvous With Rama movie already!

Sorry, that was rantier and more hostile than I intended. I just hate being told I need to turn off my brain to enjoy SCIENCE fiction, and Prometheus is one of my top five most hated movies of all time. It brings out the worst in me. -_-

If this helps, an executive producer and the primary consultant was Dr. Kip Thorne, a real life physicist as well as "one of the world's leading experts on the astrophysical implications of Einstein's general theory of relativity." There's a lot of unknown details in this area of space, but Nolan used his restrained creativity to fill in the blanks. That's right, this scientist restrained his creativity by shooting down implausible ideas (ex: an idea in the works was to have them travel faster than light, to which good ole' Dr. Thorne raised a red flag).

I also saw this movie with my coach, who also teaches my school's honors/AP physics program, and he simply sat in awe of the movie and after the movie. This man criticizes anything in movies that ridiculously uses deux ex machina and calls it science, yet for this he affirmed the plausibility of a lot of things we've even discussed while running.

It's less cohesive, makes less sense, and has worse dialogue than prometheus.

Interstellar has the same story as Contact (but with the premise of Prometheus), visuals of Gravity (though not as good. Lots of shots of people inside a ship sitting around while the exciting things are happening out of the ship. Yawn.), and the ideas behind Moon.

ugh. I don't even know where to start. You could cut out the entire middle two hours of this movie and the story would be unaffected. There's a movie star that shows up about an hour and a half in, and for about an hour he just created drama for drama's sake. It's hard to explain without spoiling, but basically this movie tries to pull your heart strings because it can, rather than because it has some message to get across. 

Not to mention all of the bad science. They go down to a planet, but on that planet time passes more slowly because "gravity". Later into the movie, time is materialised and manipulated physically. It also has "aliens" that "communicate through gravity because it can transcend dimensions". Also "love is the only thing that can transcend time and space." is a real line from the movie.

Ugh. It wasn't awful, I mean it was perfectly watchable and very pretty to look at, not to mention it's always fun to watch Matthew McCghghghasghnahay, but this is not the next 2001 :ASO.

post-37094-Tom-Cruise-WHAT-gif-Oblivion-

I've never seen Contact, but while I was thoroughly impressed with Gravity's cinematography (and to be honest, not much else about that movie) the visuals of Interstellar far surpassed any space movie that I have seen thus far. As they were going through that wormhole, I was just in awe. I sat in my chair with a feeling I've never felt while watching a movie, as visuals never impress me to that extent. As for Moon, I don't see the comparison except maybe the AI, though Kevin Spacey-voice played a far different character than Bill Irwin-voice's and role.

Not entirely. Actually, not at all. You cut out the middle two hours, you miss out on beautiful visuals and creative theory and ideas ("Art grasia artis", or "Art for the sake of art" my friend) as well as emotional development between characters that somehow transcends distance and makes you empathize with the characters, which is a large part of the movie. You cut out the journey and the conflict. I agree, there was a little bit too much climax in the middle than I like when there's still some film to go, but I see nothing wrong with introducing a character halfway through. You don't meet everyone you'll meet in life right at the beginning. Plus, it provided conflict, a literary device that drives plot.

Refer to my first paragraph in regards to science, and to correct you, time does not pass slower because gravity but because of relativity, an essential piece in understanding what exactly is going on. Time appearing physically is theoretically plausible within a fifth dimension. I'm not sure if you're speaking sarcastically, but if you still think those were "aliens", I'm assuming you took a restroom break at that point in the film. And within that admittedly corny line, therein lies your message you're looking for. I wouldn't have personally defined love as such, but I thought it was an interesting perspective when she said something along the lines of "You can still love someone who is dead and gone. It doesn't just cease because it can't find a target."

Well, hello forums, long time no see. Sorry if my first post sort of made me seem like a rager or something. 

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#18 Crustacean Freak

Crustacean Freak

Resident VW Enthusiast

• Nova Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

I thought the movie was fantastic, visually and thematically. Most of the science is pretty solid (there are some tidbits I found frustrating, but less so than 99% of sci-fi cinema). At its core, it is a drama. And it does a wonderful job at it.

Oh yeah, and that docking scene towards the end? One of the most beautiful things I've seen in the theatre in a long time.

:Flickr
Gypsy King
Celephaïs (Mk 1)

Currently working on: Dustbowl (Novel), 1974 VW Beetle "Crow", Unnamed LEGO Space Freighter

#19 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:22 AM

It was, as my forefathers before me have said, "Far out, maaaan."

Nolan strays into some strange territory with his movies, and while the style of it was kind of bleak and minimal, it definitely made me feel like I was being taken through layers of exploration as the story went along. Going from tracking down a secret base, to going into space, then to different planets, and ultimately into a black hole as the story climaxed, all felt like a good progression which changed up the scenery, and added various problems and quirks with each new location. The cohesiveness of the story left something to be desired, but it seems like it tied the main plot together well enough, despite the characters at the end having an unusual awareness of the very strange situation at the end. However, to me, it appears this was done to generate less confusion than 2001, (which obviously was the greatest source of inspiration for Interstellar,) as the ending to that was very similar, yet different in the fact that it wasn't readily explained by the script, and altered the perception of the viewer drastically.

Those visuals though. I can tell a lot of miniatures were used in the movie, which is great. Pretty much all of the spaceships I've seen in movies lately are CGI, so seeing some actual models was refreshing. Every celestial body, from Earth, Saturn, and the unexplored planets, to the wormhole, black hole, and the mind blowing 4th dimensional construct at the end were really nice to look at.

I'd give it an 8/10. Not an extreme genre changer, but a well put together movie that puts some focus towards a place we need to venture back to: outer space.

xgd0s9.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users