A random question I feel like presenting my readers with so that I may pick their brains

Posted by Sir_Muffonious, 06 December 2010 · 1,719 views

Several months ago, I made a blog post about Ginger's Fallout series of roleplays, encouraging readers of my blog to read it and draw inspiration from it in the same manner that I did nearly a year (?!?) ago. (The "?!?" would be because that means that Journey started nearly a year ago.) This RP by Ginger is what I consider to be my favorite SSLF RP of all time, hands down. It's up there with Arby's Detention and a couple of other great RPs, but IMO Ginger just surpassed them all, for some reason. It just clicked for me, that's all.

So, this is going to be a short blog post. I'm going to ask a question, and if you're reading this then you're going to provide an answer. Here goes:

What is your favorite roleplay of all time and why?

It can be any roleplay you've ever read, participated in, or even DMed. The RP might have been a page long and maybe it never even finished - it doesn't matter. The answer can be anything you want. I want an explanation about what made the RP so special to you. Was it the players? The DM? The story? The concept? A character you really liked playing as? The fact that the RP actually finished? Was it your first RP? Would you recommend that other people read it for inspiration/enjoyment? What lessons are there to be learned from the way in which the RP was carried out?

Just some food for thought. I would kind of like to see some discussion up in here.

And, of course, because this is my blog:

Posted Image

Yay! Update!

As for your question, The Journey Saga gets top place for my favorite (and I'm not sucking up). It's 3/4 of the finished RPs I've been in. It was fun, fantasy, and lengthy with cool characters and players and a DM that kept you forever terrified for your character's lives.

EDIT: I'm actually going to day D&D: SOTC. It's easier for me to follow, and it has a classic dungeon grinder feel to it... JOurney is still second.
I'm going to have to say Rise. As the DM, working on Rise was absolutely awesome. I love mecha, and being able to bring a very anime-inspired story to a place like SSLF and make it work brings me a lot of happiness. The rp was just ridiculous fun, and I hope that the quirkiness seen by the characters will be seen in other rps.

I would hope that Rise serves as an inspiration of how to run an rp with a unique concept. I also hope that the time we spent in Vegas will remind people that there doesn't always need to be a dm watching over every player for the rp to be a success. Sometimes opening things up allows the best kind of freedom for the characters.

That, and being the badass Ray was fun to do. I never played such a character and it was an interesting experience. :D

I'm going to have to say Rise. As the DM, working on Rise was absolutely awesome. I love mecha, and being able to bring a very anime-inspired story to a place like SSLF and make it work brings me a lot of happiness. The rp was just ridiculous fun, and I hope that the quirkiness seen by the characters will be seen in other rps.

I would hope that Rise serves as an inspiration of how to run an rp with a unique concept. I also hope that the time we spent in Vegas will remind people that there doesn't always need to be a dm watching over every player for the rp to be a success. Sometimes opening things up allows the best kind of freedom for the characters.

That, and being the badass Ray was fun to do. I never played such a character and it was an interesting experience. :D

I was actually working on a sign-up for it, then you started it. Then I went to summer camp. It's not like I could have posted much anyway. I read parts of it, I regret not getting a sign-up in. Are you planning a Part 2?
My favorite RP ever?

Either my first one; Dagger of Retribution.

Or Zarby's old CTTF ones. Cheesy, good fun. I didn't even participate, but I loved 'em.

I was actually working on a sign-up for it, then you started it. Then I went to summer camp. It's not like I could have posted much anyway. I read parts of it, I regret not getting a sign-up in. Are you planning a Part 2?

Yes I am, next summer. :P

Yes I am, next summer. :P

I'll tell you when I, you know, go to summer camp and pretty much GET CUT OFF FROM INTERNET LIFE FOR THREE WEEKS so you can start it right as leave :P

GET CUT OFF FROM INTERNET LIFE FOR THREE WEEKS

The horror...

Does the RP have to have ended?
@Taco: No, it can be whatever you want. It could even be a long-dead, unsuccessful RP that you thought had serious potential, or whatever.
...I'm honestly not sure. Journey Part II and Rise were fun because they finished and I loved participating in them. (Though I'm actually disappointed we never fought a Dragon in Journey. It would have been ridiculously hard to kill, would have killed off at least a few party members pretty easy, and would have been epic off the charts. Especially if it was a Red Dragon.

The Symphony: Paradigm was a fantastic RP, right up until it fell apart. The DM had three posts in a row that just told us to destroy ships. It wasn't like it was in Journey, where the DM would use updates to advance the battle and kill off characters. Nope. Three posts in a row he had his own characters blow up enemy ships and told us to do the same thing. I think we all just lost inspiration after the third post he told us that. I know I did.

But the RP itself started out fantastic. We had our main character in addition to a practically unlimited cast of support characters. At first, space combat was really fun and entertaining. Plus I love my character(s). Could I choose any dead RP to have kept going, I would have chosen The Symphony: Paradigm.

Unknowns old Star Wars RP was good old plain Star Wars fun. Tales of Willow Wood had a weird, fun potential. Shame they both died. Actually both of them were situations in which the DM just let it die.

As far as reading them goes. Salvage 3.0 and 3.1 were both fantastic, as was the original Madmen. *Eaten by Muffo*

EDIT: Oh, and D&D: SOTC has been really fun so far, particularly because I'm a singing badass half-orc that likes to chop things leg's off.
@Taco: Well, about the Journey/Dragon thing, we could've fought the dragon that wanted to eat our dimension. :P

@Taco: Well, about the Journey/Dragon thing, we could've fought the dragon that wanted to eat our dimension. :P

But we didn't, which sucked.
There was little question on this. My favourite RP is Rise, plain and simple. Creating characters is one of my favourite parts of a roleplay, and Hawk basically let our imaginations run wild with them, and the result was an incredibly diverse, quirky and fun cast of characters. The DMing approach was also great. It offered a wide array of freedom, while still reining us players in a bit from getting a little too rowdy, and well, blowing crap up with mechas in a variety of over-the-top and awesome ways was just cool, dammit.

But I think my favourite part about Rise were the character interactions. How the different personalities played off one another and whatnot. It says something when I was having just as much fun on Vegas as I was blowing up mecha.

Of course, don't let this go to your head, Hawk. You killed Rex.

There was little question on this. My favourite RP is Rise, plain and simple. Creating characters is one of my favourite parts of a roleplay, and Hawk basically let our imaginations run wild with them, and the result was an incredibly diverse, quirky and fun cast of characters. The DMing approach was also great. It offered a wide array of freedom, while still reining us players in a bit from getting a little too rowdy, and well, blowing crap up with mechas in a variety of over-the-top and awesome ways was just cool, dammit.

But I think my favourite part about Rise were the character interactions. How the different personalities played off one another and whatnot. It says something when I was having just as much fun on Vegas as I was blowing up mecha.

Of course, don't let this go to your head, Hawk. You killed Rex.

With Rex, you have to understand that I have a very simple way of deciding whether or not your character lives. I post a danger to your characters, and then you have to come up with a solution. Sadly, in the fight between your character, Rex, and Ray, I got no reply on Ray's various attempts to kill you. I waited a very long time to so that you guys would have time to finish the fight with the main villain. And still nothing, and I had to go to my camp in a couple of days.

So because your characters were doing nothing to avoid Ray's attacks but I liked them, I did the democratic thing to do. I flipped a coin. I got heads, which meant that one of you had to die. Then I flipped again. Got tails. That meant Rex. So yeah, sorry about that, I liked Rex. But I honestly gave you guys every chance. :P

And it was the final battle, someone had to go. :D
I totally posted.

...just late.

But we didn't, which sucked.

You do realize that it was a dragon that ate dimensions, right? If you fought it, it would have swallowed the whole party in one gulp, and you would have been digested by the black hole that it had for a stomach.

You do realize that it was a dragon that ate dimensions, right? If you fought it, it would have swallowed the whole party in one gulp, and you would have been digested by the black hole that it had for a stomach.

...Or we could have just fought a pack of bloodthirsty bunnies. Just sayin'.

Who says we had to fight that dragon? There are plenty of other Dragons we could have fought. That's how Part II should have ended. Forget the Aboleth, we go way down there to find a freakin' Red Dragon that ate us! Or at least a few of us. Then it could have burst out of the cave, and it could have finally gone down after being shot by Imperials and the ships cannons.

That would have been so frickin' epic.

June 2020

S M T W T F S
 123 4 56

Google Ads