NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ROLEPLAY: Over the Sea - Part 1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
442 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

POPULAR

Wulfgard
Over the Sea

((There are a few rules for all of you to know. Be sure to read over all of them:
1. Scorp and I are the DMs of the RP. What we say goes.
2. Everyone may post as many times as they like as long as they do not try to advance the plot (interact with each other freely, however) and\or take control of important\named NPCs (mentioned later).
3. No god-moding (obviously).
4. Don’t take control of the NPCs. All of the NPCs are characters (Scorp’s and mine), just like the one character that you have. I don’t care if you control random characters like other shipmen, but do not say what important NPCs such as Captain Roland say in response to your question or do in reaction to something you did. This also applies to the characters owned by other players.
5. RP your characters realistically. Take into account their background, race, etc., and also bear in mind that this is a low-fantasy setting. Magic, monsters, etc., are all very rare and generally quite frightening. Try to RP your character’s emotions well, such as surprise, fear, and their opinions (and don’t be afraid to defy that tough-looking NPC if that’s what your character would really do). Be creative.
6. Try to keep OOC (out of character) talk to a minimum, and mark it somehow. But preferably, just use the sign-up topic for OOC discussions of the RP, not the RP topic.
7. If you ever want to resign from the RP, then send me a PM or leave a comment on my profile saying so and we can figure something out. This also applies to if you will be away and unable to post for an extended period of time.
8. If you have any questions or requests, DO NOT post them here in the topic. PM them to me. For example, if there is anything you do not know about the setting, then feel free to ask me.
9. Be sure to read everyone else’s posts in addition to mine and interact with each other. Again, do not take control of other player characters or named NPCs; if you speak to another player, wait for them to respond to you.
10. Remember that your character can die in this RP.

Character\Player List:
Lightning-Bolt – Cutter
Lightning-Bolt – Osgar Langley
Fire-fox – Ryan Alexander
Ro Ressan – Jacob Galahand
Star Wolf – Aries Vespillo
Richard – Leonard ‘Gramps’ Church de Publicius
Ter Loki – Javed Shahzad
Wiffleball – Amber Fauxe
Commando – Sean Garbhen Mac Cullen
Darkwoods – Anya Avison
Nemesis – Relus Keren
Hurricane – Bjår Karcuchard
wakkomovies – Krisp Rox
Tacoe – Isaac Ahlstrom
Sir_Muffonious – Theriot the Recluse
Iron Corsair – Alan Lockhart
Harrow – William Sceotend Belmont
Lord Boar – Leander Hastings
Sareth – David Malkinyr
Vorgain – Roland Novak
Maximus – Tildon Ashleaf
Fenris – Vala D'Arthao
Ruthless Xero - Kossuth

In closing, I’ll wish you all good luck and early condolences to whoever dies in the course of the RP.
Now, without further ado, let Wulfgard: Over the Sea begin!))

Posted Image

One by one the adventurers filed onto the ship, double-checking with the man holding a log of all coming aboard before ascending the wide wooden gangplank leading onto the main deck of the vessel. On their way up the board, many observed that the words The Salty Seal were painted on both sides of the craft. Once aboard they found, to their satisfaction, that it was indeed a fine ship – and luckily, it was also quite large.

“All hands on deck!” Captain Roland was calling, displaying a somewhat handsome grin as he paced about on the ship, welcoming the newcomers with friendly nods and words of greeting. “Make yourselves at home,” he said jovially. “There’s plenty of room here, friends. First ones below deck to claim their bunks might get one to themselves – although I’ll have to ask a few of you to share. I wasn’t expecting this many people, but that’s quite alright.

“There is no place off-limits on the ship except my cabin,” he added. “Everything else you are welcome to explore.”

“Although there isn’t much else to explore ‘cept below deck ‘n’ the forecastle,” remarked a man with a patch over his right eye, his voice thick with a lower-class Imperial accent. He was a rather skinny fellow with golden-brown hair, wearing a gold trident amulet around his neck, a tattered brown shirt, and matching pants. It was clear he had been working on deck for a while now, as sweat was already running down his bare, tanned arms.

“Ah, yes,” said Roland, looking at the Imperial beside him, “this is Flint, my first mate.”

“‘Ow d’you do,” said Flint, flashing a toothy smile before turning back to his work, motioning about the hands that were still loading on crates and barking orders up to the crewmen working on the rigging above their heads. How an upper-class Imperial like Roland and a commoner like Flint could’ve ever become such trusted friends, the travelers could only wonder.

“Well,” said Roland, rubbing his hands together enthusiastically, “let us begin.”

“All ‘ands prepare t’ cast off!” Flint bellowed, climbing up onto the forecastle deck and overlooking everyone on the main deck below. All of the other sailors had returned on board, and someone hauled up the boarding plank.

It wasn’t long before the ship had set off from the docks. It was clear certain elements of the sea, such as the strong smell of brine and the hearty wind, would take some of the adventurers time to get used to. Roland and the other sailors seemed quite pleased by the breeze that filled the billowing white sails overhead, and the ship was swiftly leaving behind the bustling port of Illikon. As The Salty Seal rocked gently on the waves, the adventurers could hear the water sloshing continuously against the hull. To some it may have been rhythmic and easy on the ears – that was certainly how the sailors felt – but to others it may have been quite annoying.

But whether they wanted to reach their unexplored destination as soon as possible or they were already enjoying their time on the sea, they would still be spending quite a bit of time enduring the steady sailing of the Seal.

It was almost afternoon and the sun was boiling hot, beating mercilessly down upon the decks. Captain Roland was at the wheel, which was upon the quarterdeck (the back deck of the ship, raised above the main deck and level with the forecastle deck, which was at the front of the ship). First Mate Flint stood on the forecastle deck, looking over the prow at the horizon before them. Under the shadow of the quarterdeck sat a tall Northern barbarian with an enormous axe, silently gazing over the sea. Most of the other sailors avoided him and his gaze, and he in turn paid little attention to them, simply stroking his thick brown beard in thought. The adventurers took note of him, however, for they had not seen him at the docks.

Overall, The Salty Seal was fairly quiet, save a few conversations being held by other sailors, who joked and laughed in good spirits while they worked. Plenty were already going below deck through the hatch in the center of the main deck, in an attempt to escape the heat.

For now, the adventurers had time to speak with each other, explore the ship, and essentially do whatever they pleased.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

((First Post ftw! Never posted first in an RP before...))

Ryan caught a whiff of the fresh, salty air. It was cool, though the sun compensated for that by bathing them with its golden rays. He walked on board with little luggage and himself and scanned around the ship. It was large, the sails weren't torn, the wood didn't seem to be rotting, all-in-all, it was seaworthy, no doubt about that.

He looked at his fellow companions. Humans for the most part, though a couple elves and dwarves mixed in. His mind flashed back to his farewell to his parent's for some reason. He smiled, and shook it off, then caught sight of a magnificent looking girl.

She was wearing fine green garments that fit her body's physical features well, not to be shallow. She was beautiful.

He walked up calmly and leisurely to her and said, "Hello, I'm Ryan Alexander."

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#3 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

((I freakin' love you, werewolf. Thanks.))

Will nonchalantly strided accross the deck, grinning.
He had a good feeling about this voyage.
This was a break, a vacation. Getting away from it all with some good ol' fashioned adventuring.
Observing the others, he relaxed.
'Maybe, just once, things will go right for me.'

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#4 Fearful Pinata

Fearful Pinata

Private

• 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

Jacob stroked his beard and examined his companions as he boarded the ship, he then swiftly lost interest as he set off to explore below deck with extreme interest.

#5 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

Javed Shahzad leaned on the railing of The Salty Seal's main deck as the wind caught her sails and she began to glide out to sea, well this certainly brings back memories, he mused to himself. She wasn't quite like the vessels he'd sailed on as a child, but it was still nostalgic to feel the waves gently lap at the hull and watch the gulls fly along the shoreline and docks. Soon they were well under way, and Javed slipped to the lower decks to stow his belongings. Quickly found a free bunk below, rather private compared to the others too, well it looks like someone up there likes me today, he thought with a smile.

It wasn't too long though before Javed was settled in for the long voyage and returned to the main deck. Again he found himself gazing out at the clear blue water and daydreaming a bit, but soon took notice of one of the other passengers. A rather imposing looking fellow of Northern descent with an axe sitting quietly under the quarterdeck. Well well, I wonder what his story is...

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#6 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Wubalubadubdub!

• 2,085 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Anya quickly made to the lower levels to stake her claim to a bunk. Anyone attempting to share with her would find themselves several coins and a limb worse off. She didn't have much on her, so, after leaving a note warning all other to keep their hands off or lose them, she emerged once more to the salty sea air. Her red hair blew around her face, which was partly obscured by a face scarf, covering her mouth and nose.

Under normal circumstances, she wouldn't have even considered a 'boat ride'. But these were not normal circumstances. They were anything but. She was wanted all across the Empire, or the Black Highwayman was. Yet Anya still felt strangely proud for being a wanted criminal. She had come a long way from the spoilt daughter of a Baron she had once been. That was another life for her.

Anya turned away from the bustling Ilikon port as it slowly slipped into the distance, instead taking her time to observe the other passengers. Although she was sure they all had a sob story, all she was intrested in was the size of their gold pouches, and the weapons next to them. It seemed most of the others had a weapon of somekind, varying in style. There was an incredible variety of races gathered here, from Southern merchants to Nothern warriors.

Anya strode over with a confidence which could be mistaken for arrogance. One of them spoke, a man. For a moment she thought he was speaking to her, but then she realised he was speaking to a woman clad in green. Good luck with her. Anya thought, not concentating as she bumped into someone.
'Watch where you're walking, idiot!' She snarled at a man wearing a tunic and breaches. 'By the Gods, are you blind man?' She continued, despite knowing it was her fault. She moved away, making sure nobody had taken her bunk yet. They hadn't. Her note had done the trick.

((Yes Harrow, that was you I just yelled at. Watch where you're going next time! :P And now I will return tomorrow to find 30 pages awaiting me. Oh joy of joys.))

Edited by Darkwoods, 28 March 2010 - 07:38 AM.

giphy.gif

#7 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

"Not bad," Cutter said, glancing about the craft, though his face was covered in an expression that seemed far from impressed. Ignoring everyone for the most part, he muttered to Osgar, "Better get some bunks before anyone else."

Osgar laughed. "Make haste, then." The two followed, already aware of others going down to the sleeping quarters. They soon found them quickly, and hastened to claim two bunks right next to eachother, though of course they expected they wouldn't be allowed to keep them.

"All in all it seems a rather nice craft," Osgar said, appreciatively. Cutter only shrugged. "Why do you look so glum?" Osgar asked.

"I just... I'll tell you later," Cutter replied quietly as several other adventurers climbed down from the hatch.

#8 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

The Recluse was one of the last to board the ship, slowly shuffling up the gangplank behind all of the others. In his age he had acquired a slight limp in his step, but it was nothing major when he kept his feet close to the ground. He used his staff as leverage on the ground to pull himself along. He was so unsightly in his rags and so greatly pitied in his age that surely many of the people aboard wondered why the captain was bringing him along. Theriot assured himself that it was his air of mystery. People loved mysteries and legends, and the tale of the Recluse was one of the more interesting local stories.

Perhaps the strangest part of Theriot's story was why he was here, and where he was from. Everyone knew that he was a hermit who lived in the mountains, or so the story said, but this far from said mountains, none quite knew which mountains they were. More intriguing was why he would travel halfway across the continent in his old age to come here. Why did he wish to go to a bunch of unexplored islands? What could he offer to the rest of the crew?

Theriot was tired. He was so dreadfully tired that he thought that he might take a nap the second that he stepped foot on the deck of the ship. He cared not to introduce himself to those who he would be spending the next fews days at sea with, but at the same time he felt inclined to. Bah, they probably new a bit about him already anyway. Almost everyone in Illikon knew that the fabled Recluse had arrived, or so Theriot told himself. Did they actually know? Were they aware of where he was heading? Probably not in regards to both questions.

One of the more muscular young bucks rudely pushed past the old man, rushing up the gangplank with a large crate full of who-cares-what. The young man continued to hastily speed upon the decks, ignoring the fact that he had nearly dislodged the elderly hermit from his footing upon the ramp. He could have been tossed into the ocean by the careless young dolt!

Theriot stopped in place and scoffed at the man's receding back. Of course, this drew a chorus of moans and anxious cries of outrage from those behind him. The hermit glanced wearily over his shoulder and then narrowed his eyes, bringing them back around to face the front. How he hated young people. They were all so gung-ho about nothing in particular, and no one understood how pointless all of it was. Theriot posessed a very unique skill set, and yet he had never stumbled into great fortune. What made their future any different than his present? He admitted that he himself was arrogant, but their arrogance was unprecidented!

He continued moving and as soon as he reached the deck, the few people behind him rudely shoved past or squeezed between him and the railing, spreading around the deck like beatles whose source of food had just been smushed beneath a large boot. Yes, they were really all like a buncha bugs, weren't they? He would have fun tormenting this batch, if he got the chance. He was feeling weary, and thus he was not sure if using any spells would be a good idea.

On the other hand, he could get quite a kick out of using some of the less taxing tricks of his to frighten or embarrass the others. A simple noise here, a floating, non-existent object there. Maybe he would make some drowning young lass appear in the waves. One of them would surely dive after her in full body armor, and they would sink like a stone. Yes, some fun could be had aboard a sea-faring vessel.

Theriot shuffled to the side of the ramp and sat down upon a crate, watching the others rush past. He wiped his brow with a fold of his robes, soaking up the sweat on his bald head as he did so. The sun was murderous, and he was so dreadfully tired. If he fell asleep out here, he would surely wake up a dead man! It was time to test his crewmates, then.

As the next person passed by him, eager to rush upon the deck, he extended a bony, frail hand towards them. "Please, young one, help an elderly man up and to his quarters, won't you?"

[Does anyone want to help an elderly man? :P I'm going to have fun with this. I've never been an illusionist or a withered old man before!]

Posted Image

#9 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Vala walked slowly among her fellow adventurers. She loved the salty smell of the ocean, and she was used to the heat from the sun. "My first adventure into the the unknown". The exitement made her grin. She began to examine the crew. Only two other women had joined the expedition. One of them was a pale-skinned redhead whom Vala found a little creepy. The other woman wore green garments and looked exeptionally pretty. Vala imagined how the men would use all their charms at her and the two other ladies, but she was used to that kinda thing.

The rest of the adventurers looked all very different and interesting. Two of them looked kinda old. One peg-legged man and a ragged old beggar. What was the point of bringing them here? Two other men appeared to be Southerners, like herself. But it was the dwarves and elves who caught her attention. She had met a Dwarf or two on her trips with her father, but she'd never seen an elf before. This could prove to be quite an interesting journey...

She went below deck to make sure she didn't have to share a bunk with the scraggly old rag. Next to her stood the Redhead she had seen a few moments ago. "I'd better befriend her, since we're stuck here for quite a while. Vala reached out a hand to greet her. "Hi there. I'm Vala D'Arthao. Pleased to meet you."

Edited by Fenris, 28 March 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#10 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

((Lol, fox is already hitting on Wiffleball.))

Isaac stood at the side of the ship, his hands on the railing and his staff leaning beside him. Back at sea. Hard to believe. It had been a great many years since he was on a boat. It was all familiar, bringing back memories. The breeze on his face, the smell of the salty sea below them.

Isaac smiled, it felt good. The only thing he missed was seeing the ocean spread far around him, being able to look out across the horizon, seeing the sun set giving an orange glow to the sky. Yes, Isaac had seen much before he was blinded, and he missed it all.

He heard the rest of the travelers bustling behind him, chattering amongst themselves, running off to grab bunks below deck. Isaac barely cared about his sleeping accommodations. Any of them were probably better then some of the places he'd slept before.

((If anyone wants to chat with Isaac, go ahead. The old man would probably enjoy speaking to someone, even if hee couldn't see them.))

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#11 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

[Does anyone want to help an elderly man? :P I'm going to have fun with this. I've never been an illusionist or a withered old man before!]

[[Eh why not, the two of use could make quite the team. :P]]

"Please, young one, help an elderly man up and to his quarters, won't you?"

Javed snapped out of his trance for a moment and turned to the voice that had called to him. He saw an elderly man in ragged old robes who looked like he hadn't had the easiest time in his life. The captain wouldn't have brought someone like him on board without good reason, maybe he can help find what I'm looking for. "Sure gramps glad to help," he said taking the old man's hand and helping him down to the lower levels. "Name's Javed by the way, Javed Shahzad," he cheerfully added as his companion set foot on the lower level.

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#12 Fearful Pinata

Fearful Pinata

Private

• 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Jacob claimed whatever empty bunk was left, seeming rather nervous in the sudden crowd below deck.
He stowed his small bag of belongings away and headed back up to the main deck to find relative solitude.

Jacob looked over the railing of the ship admiring the water with a smile.

#13 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

The barbarian in the shadow of the quarterdeck noticed the eyes of the adventurers on him and returned their gaze with his clear, sky-blue eyes. His nostrils flared occasionally, as if he were sniffing the air, and he took note of each man and woman's weapons and armaments. Yet for all of this, he seemed strangely nervous in the presence of so many men and women milling about. With a grunt, he pushed himself up with his axe, careful not to fully stand so that his enormous height did not draw more attention, and then he repositioned himself farther off in the corner, near the railing. There he resumed gazing at the ocean while thoughtfully fingering a pendant in the shape of Thor's holy hammer symbol.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#14 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

The man who offered to help the Recluse was a queer fellow. Theriot didn't like his squinted eyes, and his hair was incomprehensibly long. He was at least considerate to keep it tied back, but Theriot was of the firm conviction that men should wear the hair of men, not women. Then again, that might have been because he had no hair himself. In addition to that, Theriot's own beard was poorly trimmed.

The man looked a bit older than some of the others on the ship, which made him a bit more appealing to the illusionist's sense of goodwill. He had offered to help the old man, so perhaps he wasn't so bad. What he said next, however, greatly perturbed him.

"Sure gramps glad to help," he said. Gramps? Who did this kid think he was, exactly? Theriot was certainly old, but a grandfather he was not! Sadly enough, in his lifetime he had not passed on his favorable genes. A pity. "Name's Javed by the way, Javed Shahzad," he added as they reached the lower decks.
"Oh, yes," Theriot said, acting like he was confused or feeble. "My name is...uh, it's...Ah yes, my name is Ra - no. No, it's Theriot! That's the one."

He did not bother checking to see if the young man was confused. He knew that he was, judging by his silence. The corridor at the bottom of the stairs was dark and narrow, leading to the larger room at the end that housed the bunks for the crew. Theriot thought that this would be an ideal place for a spook or two. Oh, the things that he could cause to manifest in this hallway! A horrible monster of his imagination, or maybe something less imaginary that he had encountered in the mountains. Even something as simple as a sound. He could produce a low moaning like a twisted soul be mutilated, and that was enough to clean the hallway out.

As he contemplated whether or not it was worth it to torment this fine young man, Theriot reached into one of his belt pouches and took out a scrap of wool, rubbing it between two fingers. He suddenly stopped in his tracks, grabbing the man by the shoulder and causing him to stop as well.

"Shh!" he urged. "Did you hear that?"
The man was about to say something, but Theriot stopped him with an index finger to the mouth.
"Shhh," he repeated. "Be quiet," he whispered. "Close your eyes and listen."

Theriot closed his eyes and began mouthing the incantations needed to produce a spell that would lead to a horrible noise, furiously rubbing the bit of wool as he did so. Suddenly, he stopped and put the wool away without finishing the spell.

"Nevermind," he said to the young man, smiling. "It must have been my old mind playing tricks on me again!"

The illusionist and his new friend, Javed, walked into the sleeping quarters and found an empty bed, at which point Theriot sat heavily upon it with a great, tired sigh. He placed his walking stick on the bed and sat hunched over, slowly breathing in and out. He dabbed his forehead again, relieved to be out of the sun.

"Thank you, young man," Theriot said, smiling weakly. "This is quite a nice place, eh? I'll tell you what," he said, pointing at the man. "If you can't find a bunk because you spent so much time getting one for me, then we can share!" Javed stared back blankly, and then the old man cackled madly. "Ah, nevermind, you wouldn't want to do that! But the offer still stands."

He bounced about lightly upon the bed, feeling its firmness as he did so. It was not too comfortable and there were holes and tears in it, but it was a bed. He pulled a piece of straw out from inside of one of the holes in the matress and inspected it, then tossed it aside casually. He looked around, still bouncing lightly. Someone was passing by and appeared to be going from their bed to the door, but Theriot once again stopped them.

"Ex-Excuse me," he stammered, trying to get their attention. "This bunk it quite nice, but you seem to have tried out your own already. I have a bad back and foul joints, so I need the best of resting places aboard this ship. Could you sit upon my bed and test it for me? I don't know what the standard for matresses is here, but you at least have experience with one other."

He eyed the newcomer with his big, watery, elderly eyes.

[O lolz.]

Posted Image

#15 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Sean was intrigued by the ship, he had never sailed before due to his home’s inland location. Nevertheless, he was not about to let some hydrophobia take advantage of him. Purposefully striding up the gang plank, the Northerner tried to avoid bumping into people, his height and size were a problem when it came to keeping track of smaller travelers, like dwarves. A sailor stood at the top of the gang plank with a list.

"Name?" he asked as the Northerner reached him. Sean glanced down at the man and gave his name before quickly moving on. He did not feel very solid aboard the ship, too much movement. As he stopped onto the deck he started to take in his surroundings. The ship was busy like an anthill; sailors were everywhere, readying sails, and loading cargo. Captain Roland came out to greet his new adventurers. The speech was short and to the point, allowing them to travel anywhere aboard the ship. Then they were dismissed.

The Northerner stood quietly as the rest of the group scattered about the ship, many went below decks to get bunks while the rest remained above. Sean looked up as the sails were loosed and the ship began to move. The Mac Cullen went to the edge of the ship and looked back as the land began to move away from them.

Not away from us; us going away from it. He mentally corrected himself as he turned around and took another look at the others. He took note of a Northerner that stood under the quarter deck. He was a tall and imposing figure with a large battle ax, a classic picture of the Barbaric Northerner.

Sean stared at him for a moment, debating whether to go and talk to him or not. However, before he could make up his mind, the giant moved to a more quiet part of the deck near the rail. The Mac Cullen felt uncomfortable about approaching him, but he was a fellow Northman and so far there were only a few of them aboard the vessel.

Finally he resolved to go and talk with the other, try to find out what he was doing aboard the ship and see what part of the Northland he hailed from. Sean stood up and slowly walked towards the other man, careful to make his approach known but stepping loud enough for the other to hear. A small precaution in case the other was easily spooked by people sneaking up on him.

Quietly he leaned against the rail not far from the giant man and remained silent. For Sean it was a small comfort to see another of his own kind.

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#16 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

After another moment of silence, the barbarian looked up at his kinsman and nodded in greeting. "Joergen, son of Bjornar. Tribe of the Bear. Do not like these Imperial ships... ride too high in the waves, feel like they should topple sideways any moment. Not like a longship. Still, if it leads to adventure..." His voice was deep but calm, his manner of speaking slow and deliberate.

He patted his heavy double-bit battleaxe. It was a very simple weapon, despite its size, with only a few small carvings near the center of the blade. It looked more like it was made for chopping wood than men.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#17 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

[O lolz.]

[[Oh lolz indeed, but I still have to put my two cents in. ;) :P]]
"Oh, yes, my name is...uh, it's...Ah yes, my name is Ra - no. No, it's Theriot! That's the one."
Javed was a tad confused by the old man's words (surely it wasn't that hard to remember his own name was it?) but after a brief pause simply gave a quiet chuckle and continued on. The corridor was oddly empty at this time, but he didn't question it, probably just a quirk of having so many non-sailors aboard on such a beautiful day. Suddenly Theriot grabbed Javed by the shoulder and stopped in his tracks, did the old man sense something?
"Shh! Did you hear that?"
He listened, but couldn't hear anything, "I do-"
"Shhh," Theriot repeated. "Be quiet," he whispered. "Close your eyes and listen."
Javed closed his eyes tighter and thought he could hear... Something, a very soft sort of low rustling, though he had no idea what. Soon the noise stopped
"Nevermind, it must have been my old mind playing tricks on me again!"
He took simply took this in stride as they continued to one of the free rooms. Once they'd arrived Theriot sat down upon one of the two beds, Javed standing between the doorway and the other wall.
"Thank you, young man," Theriot said, smiling weakly. "This is quite a nice place, eh? I'll tell you what," he said, pointing at Javed. "If you can't find a bunk because you spent so much time getting one for me, then we can share!"
"Hehe thanks for the offer friend, but I've already found a place to sleep. I've always been quick like that, especially aboard ship."
Theriot gave a mad cackle, "Ah, nevermind, you wouldn't want to do that! But the offer still stands."
"Thank you for the hospitality, I'll keep it in mind," Javed replied as he waved goodbye and stepped back out into the corridor, "maca s-salāma." With that he decided to go back to his own bunk and check his belongings, just in case a one of the shadier characters had decided to pilfer them while he had been out. As it turned out no-one seemed to have even gone near his bunk, which was always a good thing. Javed was walking toward the staircase to the main deck when he heard a familiar voice call out to him.
"Ex-Excuse me," Theriot stammered, trying to get his attention. "This bunk it quite nice, but you seem to have tried out your own already. I have a bad back and foul joints, so I need the best of resting places aboard this ship. Could you sit upon my bed and test it for me? I don't know what the standard for mattresses is here, but you at least have experience with one other."
"Ha, a pleasure friend, I am more than happy to assist." he laughed cheerily, taking a seat on the old man's bed. "By the way, I neglected to ask earlier Theriot, are you perhaps one who possesses 'the gift'?" Javed asked, lowering his tone and opening his eyes a bit more.

#18 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

“Joergen, son of Bjornar. Tribe of the Bear. Do not like these Imperial ships... ride too high in the waves, feel like they should topple sideways any moment. Not like a longship. Still, if it leads to adventure...” The silence was broken by the Northerner’s greeting to Sean, who looked up and nodded in return.

“Sean mac Kilian of the Mac Cullens,” he replied. “An honor to meet you, Joergen of the Tribe of the Bear. I have no love for this ship either, all this infernal noise as the wood creaks and the water slaps. It is worse than the tribal wars back home. What adventure do you hope to find that you would leave the North? Glory? War? Honor? Riches? Or simply for the sheer excitement of finding new lands?”

Sean glanced the waves below as the continued to smash against the side of the ship. The Mac Cullen had started to become used to its ceaseless noise, though it still bothered him.

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#19 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

Kossuth attempted to adjust himself to the waves rocking against the ship. He didn't particularily enjoy being here, but it was for the sake of new battles that no doubt lay in waiting.

As he crossed the deck of the ship he lost his balance, more times than once. He grasped the crudely made bear pendant that we displayed around his neck. As he did so, he slipped again and bit his tongue, bellowing out a swear afterwards.

"Aye, this is going to be a long trip."

He then noticed two other Northeners by the rail and immediately made his way over to them. Having two of his kin alongside him eased his nerves greatly.

"Hail! Bretheren!"

#20 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Joergen again paused to consider his reply. He made up his mind to answer Sean's question.

"From the North I came to seek a friend who disappeared some weeks ago, headed south. Searched long, found no sign of him. The Hawk is hard to find when he does not wish to be found... which is most of the time. But Joergen does not like civilization. Grew tired of this Empire and its roads, left to seek the unfamiliar, pathless lands, where rivers still run un-named. The Hawk would understand, if he yet lives."

Suddenly his speech was interrupted by a third Northerner shouting "Hail! Brethren!"

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users