NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Wylfgard Name Change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one is better? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one is better?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

Maegan and I are currently planning to change the name of Wylfgard. This is due to constant misunderstandings on how to spell and/or pronounce it. Things like Wiffleball's tragedy of a username have resulted from the current spelling, after all. We wouldn't want anything like that to be repeated, now would we?
NOTE: No, Wifflegard is not the reason we're considering the change. We've always had mixed feelings about the name Wylfgard, and when we show it to people in person they sometimes react with "Wiiillllffff... what?". It seems like it might be bad for business in the long run.

To that end, we have registered the domain names wolfgard.net and wulfgard.net. Sadly the .com's were already taken, which is one reason we went with wylfgard in the first place. Once we decide which one to use, all of the wylfgard domain names will transfer the visitor to either of the .net's.

At least, those are our current plans. If you have any suggestions as to which name we should go with, feel free to pitch in! This is just to give you a warning of the upcoming change.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

Wulfgard looks better, IMO. I vote for that one.

#3 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

Ah man, even with the misunderstandings I prefer Wylfgard. It just seems to stand out more and overall just looks more original. But, if it does change I vote for Wulfgard I suppose.

Edit: Sweet! We can change votes now, awesome!

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#4 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

I have added a poll now. Vote for whichever you like the best.

A little info:
A 'wylf' originally meant female wolf.
A 'wulf' was, on the other hand, male.
A 'wolf' can be either.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#5 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, ditto to Boar, I like Wylfgard. I even PM'd your sister asking to change mine back, but nothing has changed as of yet. If it isn't Wylfgard I would go with "Wulfgard." It adds to the skandinavian feel.

#6 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

Oh yeah? I say we should should run Wiffleball out of town on a rail! Just kidding, fellas! I'm a nice guy! :P Hey! wiffleball.com! Yeah! Waaaay easier to pronounce, and not at all confusing!
I'm sorry, I'm feeling inhumanly sarcastic today. Must have been all that cake and ice-cream. Anyway, yeah, I still think Wylfgard was better, but of the two other options I'd have to say Wulfgard.

#7 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

Wylfgard, for pretty much the reasons Ter posted.

What is the proper pronunciation, anyway?

#8 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

A little info:
A 'wylf' originally meant female wolf.
A 'wulf' was, on the other hand, male.
A 'wolf' can be either.

Well that's even more reason to go with Wylfgard in my opinion then. Think of it as a bit of an inside joke for people who know that distinction, since Wolfy is both the author and of the female persuasion after all.

Edit@Thrawn: Same as the other two I think, all three are properly pronounced as "Wulfgard", those wacky Scandinavians and Slavs with their "Y"s sounding like "U"s. :rolleyes:

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#9 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

What is the proper pronunciation, anyway?

Posted Image

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#10 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

Edit@Thrawn: Same as the other two I think, all three are properly pronounced as "Wulfgard", those wacky Scandinavians and Slavs with their "Y"s sounding like "U"s. :rolleyes:

That's what we wanted, sort of. But now I'm not so sure that's technically correct.

The real Nordic/Germanic/Old English or whatever pronunciation might actually BE "wilf" and that's something we both agree would be to the detriment of all our endeavors. It's just... wrong.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#11 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

Wylfgard.

#12 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

All I know is that I coulda sworn I've heard "Wulfgard" before.

Frankly, I like Wylfgard. The "y" adds to the whole fantasy feel, in my opinion. ...not that either of you have been paying attention to my opinion as of late...

lWZ8e6F.png

#13 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

All I know is that I coulda sworn I've heard "Wulfgard" before.

All I can find on Wulfgard is that it's a family name sometimes, and also there's some bunch of cosplayers or something. *shrug* You may be thinking of the name Wulfgar, from Beowulf (also used in the Drizzt books).

As for Wolfgard, there's some kind of metal group named that and they have the .com domain.

Wylfgard is more unique but GUYS PLEASE THINK HARD ABOUT THIS AND DON'T JUST PICK WYLFGARD BECAUSE IT'S WHAT YOU'RE USED TO SEEING.

Not that I'm trying to accuse anyone of doing that, but I get the feeling some of you might be. Try to imagine you are JUST NOW seeing all of these names. What do you imagine when you read them? Do you have trouble saying them? Do they even make sense? Etc.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#14 Deceptus

Deceptus

Unwashed Villager

• 818 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:11 AM

Wololo. An universe that crumbles upon itself because somebody failed with their username.

Wulfgard? I'd imagine someone Salvatore fans might see it a bit... weirdly. Not to mention that it looks like a compilation of words "Wulfgar" and "retard".

Wolfgard? Wolfenstein, Wolfram, gruppenfuhrer Wolf, Spice & Wolf, Minnesota Timberwolves. We have wolves a plenty.

Wylfgard has something unique to it. It has the usual digestable over-the-topness of a fantasy name while remaining at least a bit original and not being a complete pull from that place which for most healthy males is a strict one-way road, with the exception of Samwell.

On the other hand, in an universe called Wylfgard we have werewolves, not werewylves. That's kind of a paradox if you are nitpicky.

#15 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

Wololo. An universe that crumbles upon itself because somebody failed with their username.

Wulfgard? I'd imagine someone Salvatore fans might see it a bit... weirdly. Not to mention that it looks like a compilation of words "Wulfgar" and "retard".

Wolfgard? Wolfenstein, Wolfram, gruppenfuhrer Wolf, Spice & Wolf, Minnesota Timberwolves. We have wolves a plenty.

Wylfgard has something unique to it. It has the usual digestable over-the-topness of a fantasy name while remaining at least a bit original and not being a complete pull from that place which for most healthy males is a strict one-way road, with the exception of Samwell.

On the other hand, in an universe called Wylfgard we have werewolves, not werewylves. That's kind of a paradox if you are nitpicky.

1: It was due to more than just the username. We've always had misgivings about Wylfgard, and when we show it to someone IRL they react with "Willfff... what?".
2: GAH Wulfgar is not originally from Salvatore! So I don't care what his fans think (and I used to be one of them). Also "gard" means "land" "earth" or "enclosure." Asgard = land of the Aesir, Midgard = Middle Earth, etc.
3: If you had never seen "Wylfgard" before you would say that the "y" is stupid stereotypical fantasy bull, now wouldn't you? Come on, wouldn't you?

Also, I very much like that the name is currently feminine in gender; I just wish it wasn't so hard to read and say. :(

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#16 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Not really if you take Scorp's above guide into consideration, since "wolf" in gender neutral and "wylf" is feminine. So in general it would be "werewolves" since I assume that lycanthropy doesn't just infect men/women.

Edit: Just don't worry about it so much Scorp-dono. It's not too overwhelmingly "stereotypically fantasy", the "y" just adds a bit of flair, and people mispronounce things all the time. Note to all you people: It's pronounced "TEAR LOW-KEY" not "TURD LOCKY"!!

#17 Deceptus

Deceptus

Unwashed Villager

• 818 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

GAH Wulfgar is a name from Beowulf not from stupid Salvatore!

Mea culpa. Then again, do you realize how many World of WarCraft players don't even know that there were three great strategy games before it? And that it wasn't always about the so-called "extreme" style you hate so much? :P

He just stole it.

Most writers do. Besides, why not? Sounds cool enough. I think we'd make a good partnership if you took a look at it this way. Like Drizzt, Wulfgar, Elminster and Volo! Ha! Heh, we should go into the mobile vegetable peddling business together!"
(The guy who said that has his name stolen from the book Slaughterhouse-Five. At least that's what I thought. Vonnegut stole it himself from somebody else. Who cares if he's hilarious? :P It's even more of an inside joke.)

1: It was due to more than just the username. We've always had misgivings about Wylfgard, and when we show it to someone IRL they react with "Willfff... what?".

Great idea for marketing. Imagine your rabid fans correcting all the people and making death stares whenever someone says "Whifflegard". (Also, due to the way my language works, I simply say "vylfgard". I'm a simple man.) And then your fangirls wanting you to bite their necks so they can become werewolves. And then making flamewars over the fact that Tom Mitchell would totally own Jacob Black.

Not really if you take Scorp's above guide into consideration, since "wolf" in gender neutral and "wylf" is feminine. So in general it would be "werewolves" since I assume that lycanthropy doesn't just infect men/women.

Oh well, my ignorance knows no bounds, then. I guess I can't help much.

3: If you had never seen "Wylfgard" before you would say that the "y" is stupid stereotypical fantasy bull, now wouldn't you? Come on, wouldn't you?

Based off on stereotypes, you will get very far, my stereotypically obese and ignorant-about-the-world-around-him American friend. Do you expect it to be a huge franchise spawning hundreds of books, a role playing game system, and whole literary analysises? (Hey, if someone could write a book on the philosophy in Twilight, and it's selling well, then who knows?) You don't? Then I'd imagine you won't have problems with 12-year-olds picking up your books and saying "This is lame and so stereotypical".
Right now, I must admit I'm ignorant on many subjects and if it weren't for the fact that I know you can accomplish something, I'd possibly not buy this if given the chance. But that's what I am. I don't read a ton of books every year, I do not accomplish much in my every day life, and before getting a book, I ask a ton of people for opinions before buying it, then I read it. I did manage to dislike Anne McCaffrey this way (Dolphins of Pern just didn't fit well with me), but I'm pretty much an equivalent of a Wii player when it comes to literature.

Edited by Deceptus, 15 March 2010 - 09:41 AM.

#18 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

Ter: I've always pronounced it "Turr" personally... as in, rhyming with "fur" or "grrr". :unsure:

Deceptus: Wow, big reply. I'm not sure, but I'm getting this vibe that you think I'm angry with you. I'm not. Your reactions to the names seemed honest and sincere and I appreciate that; that's what I'm looking for.
My reaction to the "Wulfgar" comment was just the steam inside of a disgruntled former fan of Salvatore blowing out. I've never had a chance to really fuss about how disappointed I was in his last series of books only to go back and discover that his older books were not as good as I'd formerly thought either. But you're right that his fans would think twice about the name, and that's something I have to consider when working in the realm of fantasy fandom.
Also I'd be fine with "vylfgard." It's "oui-lfgard" that bothers me. Or something like that. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#19 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Oh yeah? I say we should should run Wiffleball out of town on a rail! Just kidding, fellas! I'm a nice guy! :P Hey! wiffleball.com! Yeah! Waaaay easier to pronounce, and not at all confusing!
I'm sorry, I'm feeling inhumanly sarcastic today. Must have been all that cake and ice-cream. Anyway, yeah, I still think Wylfgard was better, but of the two other options I'd have to say Wulfgard.

wiffleball.com? Now your talking Bolt...

I still looooove "Wylfgard though". Partly because I had "Wylfie" as a nickname for about a week from assassinfred. I like it because it is pronouced "Wolfy" so it's like I stole your sister's nickname, hehehe.

#20 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Ter: I've always pronounced it "Turr" personally... as in, rhyming with "fur" or "grrr". :unsure:

Why does that always happen? Why? Since when has "[consonant]er" ever been pronounced "[consonant]ur"? It confounds me to no end!
Edit: Yes I'm aware of the existence of the word "her", I simply prefer the other way. It helps that it sounds like "Herr Loki". :P

Also I'd be fine with "vylfgard." It's "oui-lfgard" that bothers me. Or something like that. :P

Da comrade Scorpion, let those French know we take none of their crap here. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users