NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Elves or Dwarves

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hello and welcome to the: The Elves or Dwarves topic. Make some noise people.
Ok I like Elves because they are really cool but I also love Dwarves and respect them because they are awesome, but Elves just have that certain apeal to me. So yeah continue, didn't want to bore you with a boring post because I could go into a long description of why I like them more, but not today. :lol:

Edited by Star Wolf, 03 March 2010 - 02:51 PM.

Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#2 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

Drow > Night Eves > Sea Elves > High Elves > All other types of Elves.

#3 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

Drow

Dark Elves, not Drow. ;) They also don't have the whole black skin thing goin' on. If we have 'Drow' in Wylfgard, they'd be more like Drow's namesake than D&D Drow. :P

Anyway, I like both (obviously), but I think Dwarves are very under-appreciated! :P I also love our pet inventions of Hill Dwarves and Sea Dwarves...

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#4 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:55 PM

Dark Elves, not Drow. ;) They also don't have the whole black skin thing goin' on. If we have 'Drow' in Wylfgard, they'd be more like Drow's namesake than D&D Drow. :P

Anyway, I like both (obviously), but I think Dwarves are very under-appreciated! :P I also love our pet inventions of Hill Dwarves and Sea Dwarves...

Yeah, I never like the black skin on an Drow myself... I'm readung Forgotten Realms books now, so calling them Drow is first nature.

I thought that there were "Dark Elves" in Wylfgard? Or am I confusing those with Night Elves?

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:05 AM

Yeah, I never like the black skin on an Drow myself... I'm readung Forgotten Realms books now, so calling them Drow is first nature.

I thought that there were "Dark Elves" in Wylfgard? Or am I confusing those with Night Elves?

Yeah, and it doesn't make much sense, either. If they're an underground-dwelling race, they'd have pale skin, not pitch-black skin. :wacko: I think D&D just wanted to make them weird but didn't really put thought into it. :P

There are both. ;) Dark Elves are listed just before Sea Elves in the Lore Archive.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 Deceptus

Deceptus

Unwashed Villager

• 818 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

Yeah, and it doesn't make much sense, either. If they're an underground-dwelling race, they'd have pale skin, not pitch-black skin. :wacko: I think D&D just wanted to make them weird but didn't really put thought into it. :P

Well, it's fantasy, I wouldn't say it's that bad. I, personally, don't have anything against the drows; I actually think that it's quite cool in some ways. Besides, orcs in the Tolkien stories, for example, tend to have a wide variety of colors from black to green, while they're an underground race, pretty much; why would they be green (chloroplasts?) or black doesn't bother me. I just don't bother about "sense" in those things, I can imagine drows as completely black and it doesn't turn me off. I'd complain if a "Drow" was a pink humanoid with kielbasas for hands and legs.

Speaking of elves: if anyone's about to play an Infinity Engine with an elven gal, this BG portrait collection turns the "smurfette" Viconia into a pretty sexy beast in many different flavors (Gold Elf, Drow, Wood Elf and the second-to-last Viconia portrait is a half-elf). Can be an useful referential in this discussion, as well. :P

#7 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:57 AM

Eh, the only Elves I normally use these days are the malicious Unseelies. So, all in all, I'm more of a Dwarf person.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#8 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

DWARVES! ELVES ARE SO FREAKIN OVERRATED!

Sorry about that, where were we?

Oh yes. Tall, skinny, beardless archers can't compare to short, muscular, heavy drinking axe swingers.

So yeah, Dwarves.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#9 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

Dwarfs FTW!

#10 Zaan Deboix

Zaan Deboix

Argonians Suck!

• Nova Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

I like elves more because they can use ranged weapons, but I like dwarves because they have underground cities.
Game over, man!

#11 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

I like elves more because they can use ranged weapons, but I like dwarves because they have underground cities.

Dwarves can use ranged weapons. And I thought for sure you'd say dwarves because they talk with Scottish accents. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#12 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:34 AM

I just watched Underworld... Screw Elves and Dwarves, Vampires and Lycans ftw!

... And yes, Wolfy, I know you are already mentaly writing a rant about how Underworld doesn't follow the Werewolf mythology cannon. But just think, if every movie that had to do with Werewolves did, there'd be copyrights left and right. Not to mention it would get repetiave.

Then go with Drow, because they have ranged weapons but live underground :P

#13 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:38 AM

I like them both, but I'm just fed up of the unoriginality.
Everyone and his mother arrives at the door, announcing their brand new fantasy universes, and fail to come up with anything new or interesting.
It's always like this:

1. Large continent ruled by kings.
2. Everyone uses magic, yet the world still seems to be intact and relatively stable.
And of course...
3. The place is crawling with elves and dwarves.

I'm sick of seeing them. If you want your fantasy realm to stand out, you don't fill it with the archetypes that everyone else uses.
But nevermind.

I'll go for elves because of the Drow/Dunmer/Darklings.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#14 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:41 AM

I just watched Underworld... Screw Elves and Dwarves, Vampires and Lycans ftw!

Here's something wild about the term "lycans." The "-an" actually comes from "Lycanthrope," so "lycan" makes no real sense. It's just cutting Lycanthrope short for no reason. It's not even calling them 'wolves' - to call them wolves you'd have to put the -os back on Lycos (or Lykos in the original Greek spelling), because saying "Lycan" makes no sense...
And yes, I'm saying that to get you to stop using it. :P

And I don't really know what you mean about the "copyright" thing, so whatever. :unsure:

Guys, please, this is a Wylfgard topic. Use Wylfgard terms, not terms from every other fantasy world, because they are not Wylfgard.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#15 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:47 AM

That was kind of the prevailing form of government in the Middle Ages. Of course Wylfgard has a few republican cities, but it wasn't called the Age of Kings for nothing.

2. Everyone uses magic, yet the world still seems to be intact and relatively stable.

Actually magic is extremely rare in Wylfgard, and most people fear and hate it. There is even a sort of "anti-magic police" endorsed by the Imperial government to hunt down and deal with magic users.

And of course...

I'm sick of seeing them. If you want your fantasy realm to stand out, you don't fill it with the archetypes that everyone else uses.

What you call cliché, I call classic. I've always preferred a fantasy setting that draws from classical Norse/Greek/Roman/Egyptian/etc. mythology rather than just making up weird races with gibberish names that seem more like sci-fi aliens than fantasy monsters. Wylfgard = classic mythology with a few new twists, and if you don't like that, then whatever. Personally, this is my opinion:
The originality of the world itself is less important than the quality of the stories you tell with it.

I'll go for elves because of the Drow/Dunmer/Darklings.

Oh, and Dark Elves in Wylfgard are called Svartálfar. The names of the other elf and dwarf races are also constructed from Old Norse.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#16 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:07 AM

I like them both, but I'm just fed up of the unoriginality.
Everyone and his mother arrives at the door, announcing their brand new fantasy universes, and fail to come up with anything new or interesting.
It's always like this:

And of course...

But nevermind.

You've obviously read Eragon, the biggest fantasy stereotype there is. I am obliget to object, however:

1. Well, obviously no peasant would be allowed to rule a whole continent. :rolleyes:
2. Wylfgard seems to me like a good example of a fantasy world where magic is shunned my most. The world of "The Witcher" as well.
3. There seems to be a lot of humans as well. What's your point? ;)

Anyway, i prefer dwarves rather than elves. They're alot like vikings :D

EDIT: Hm... seems like Scorp beat me to it.
ANOTHER EDIT: Oh, i love how you take names from old Norse!

Edited by Johann, 05 March 2010 - 04:12 AM.

#17 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

Alright, fine.

I was referring not to Wylfgard, but to the numerous fantasy stereotypes and the like that are kicking around the site. To be honest, I do like Wylfgard, and think it was fleshes out in a way that makes it more accessible while keeping it a very deep and engrossing fantasy world.

Seeing as this is a Wylfgard topic, I should focus on Wylfgard and not fantasy stereotypes.
Wylfgard or GTHO?
Anyway, sorry and all. I think being corrected by the Root Admin humbles you.

EDIT: I've never read Eragon. Isn't it about some boy who finds a dragon egg?

Edited by Harrow, 05 March 2010 - 04:44 AM.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#18 kilosilvey

kilosilvey

The lower case letters are majestic and elegant, I say!

• 45 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

I have to say, the hill dwarves seem very hobbit/halfling like.
Hell yeah! Put more stuff in the... the thing that more stuff goes in

#19 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

The originality of the world itself is less important than the quality of the stories you tell with it.

Quote for truth. Who cares if it's been done before so long as you can get it RIGHT?

Personally I've always preferred dwarves myself. I know they can be done differently and all, but it seems like every Elf is either a wizard or a badass ranger who totally isn't Legolas. It's like Peter Jackson's LotR films did more subtly (and bearably) for Elves what Twilight did for vampires. So just blame my rather biased and unbalanced opinion on Orlando Bloom. :rolleyes:

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#20 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:10 AM

I used to be a dwarf person, but now I can sort of see the benefits of both races. I haven't read up on my Wulfgard lore (I was going to do that today, actually), but I've still made observations about both races judging from D&D.

I've always liked dwarves because of Gimli. I didn't have much interest in LotR as a child, but Gimli made it all worthwhile, even if he was horribly humiliated and used primarily for comic relief as opposed to the books (from what I've heard). I always liked the idea of dwarf culture being underground and/or in the mountains. I was drawn to dwarves because of their honor, respect, and generally badass combat abilities. Of course, the stereotype of them specializing with axes and hammers helped, too. Not enough fantasy characters specialize with warhammers these days.

As for D&D specifics, I always enjoyed a dwarf's ability to know the languages of other tunnel dwellers like gnomes. I also like their capability to detect traps and secret passages underground, not that I ever get to use it. One thing that always unsettled me was the idea that dwarven men and women look alike. It's just...I'd rather pretend like dwarven women don't exist. As Gimli says, dwarves just pop out of the ground. Another thing that I like about dwarves is their magical resistance. For one reason or another D&D dwarves are adverse to magic and cannot be spell casters (they can be clerics though, I think). This also makes them invulnerable to hostile magic, on occasion. That's a plus.

Elves, on the other hand, I always found boring and irritating. However, after some time I began to get interested in the mystique that surrounds them. The different subraces, the mysterious nature of their deaths, the link with nature. They seem to know what's going on in the world better than anyone else, and for that you have to give them some respect. There's a lot that you can do with an elven character, and that's why over time I've become drawn to them - I love creating interesting characters. Not all elves have to be Legolas, but a lot of fantasy universes place certain restrictions on dwarves that make it so that finding a non-fighter dwarf is an extremely rare occurrence. It's gotten to the point where I have a hard time imagining a dwarf that isn't noble and warrior-like or psychotic and warrior-like. That's something that I'm trying to get past right now.

But uh, yeah, that's all based on D&D stuff, and this is a Wulfgard topic. I'll admit that I know next to nothing about Wulfgard, which is something that I plan to change this weekend...Maybe then I'll have a better, more accurate argument to present here. ;)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users