The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7510 replies to this topic

#7341 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:03 AM

Well now, coming off the heels of E3, as well as the statement from Take-Two saying they are UNDER-monetizing their games in terms of microtransactions, it has come light that Take-Two has forced a Cease and Desist on OpenIV, the primary modding tools for modding the singleplayer of GTA games.  Take-Two, in the cease and desist order is basically claiming modding GTA is illegal.  OpenIV complied, simply to avoid a long and costly legal battle that would likely to have gone nowhere.

GTA Online's inexplicable success has been pretty awful so far. I'm sure Rockstar would have originally been planning some proper singleplayer expansions for GTA V, along the lines of the DLC GTA IV and RDR got, but once they found that all the money was in selling microtransactions to GTA Online whales that all fell by the wayside. And now Take-Two is out there literally [i]promising[/i to make things even worse in the future.

So, in more disappointing post-E3 news:

The Verge has a really in-depth interview with Michel Ancel where he says the following heartbreaking things about Beyond Good & Evil 2:

- He describes the game’s current status as “day zero of development.”

- "Two weeks ago there were no graphics"

- "Now we can say for sure that we will make this game"

- Ancel says that 2018 is too early to expect the game’s release, though he hopes to have a new version of Beyond Good & Evil 2 ready for E3 next year, which will be “as close as possible to the trailer.”

So, basically, there's no game, just a CG trailer. I feel like there's every chance this game still isn't going to exist. It'll get canceled when Ubisoft gets taken over by Vivendi, or Ancel won't be able to handle making it and Wild at the same time, or any number of other things that happen to video games in development.

And Eurogamer has an interview with Phil Spencer, wherein he casts the following shade at the PS4 Pro for it's fake 4K and checkerboard rendering techniques as compared to the One X's glorious true 4K:

I look at Pro as more of a competitor to S than I do to Xbox One X. This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there. When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

And here's Digital Foundry's analysis of  Assassin's Creed Origins:

But that said, does the game actually deliver on Microsoft's full 4K promise? Is it native? Well, in terms of delivering true 4K pixel counts then, Assassin's Creed falls short. Ubisoft are instead utilizing checkerboard rendering in order to hit that UHD target.

So much for true 4K then. To be honest, I doubt I could even pick the difference between checkerboard 4K and actual 4K at a normal living room couch-to-TV distance. 720p to 1080p is very obvious, and my PC monitor at 1440p was a nice upgrade from 1080p, but spotting the difference between that nifty temporal checkerboard 4K and genuine 4K without getting my face right up to the screen? I don't know if I could do it.

I feel like the difference between the Pro and the 1X versions of games is going to be mostly in the graphical settings each uses. You'll get stuff like better grass density and draw distance, and the 1X might use High texture settings while the Pro uses Medium. Some devs are going to put out great upgraded versions, some devs are barely going to bother, others still will completely screw them up. Business as usual :P

#7342 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Patron
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Well now, coming off the heels of E3, as well as the statement from Take-Two saying they are UNDER-monetizing their games in terms of microtransactions, it has come light that Take-Two has forced a Cease and Desist on OpenIV, the primary modding tools for modding the singleplayer of GTA games.  Take-Two, in the cease and desist order is basically claiming modding GTA is illegal.  OpenIV complied, simply to avoid a long and costly legal battle that would likely to have gone nowhere.

In response, the PC gaming community is doing what they always do when BS moves like this happen, review bombing in protest.  Recent User Review Scores have dropped below 60% and will continue to fall.  In addition, some YouTubers, such as NerdCubed, have announced they will begin boycotting ALL TAKE-TWO TITLES until this changes.  Likely this will grow when news of it spreads out more, and the reviewers in the US actually wake up.

And, as much as I dislike Jim Sterling, I think we can all agree we know what the next Jimqusition will be about.

Update: PC Gamer is reporting that the Cease and Desist letter is legitimate and Rockstar is planning on releasing a statement about this soon.  Given how Rockstar was perfectly fine with the singleplayer mods, it's likely this is going to be how they don't agree with Take-Two's action.

In addition, GTAV's Recent User Reviews have hit below the 40% mark, giving it a Mostly Negative score now.  Their Overall score has dipped below 80%, dropping it to Mostly Posiitive, and will likely continue to fall.

Oh, and a special Jimqusition was just put up today.  Not going to link to it because of enough language to make the Wolfenstien: The New Colossus seem tame in terms of the language used.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7343 Risk

Risk

• Nova Patron
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'm just posting this here because it's relevant to Ocelot.

Spoiler

DCTL1M4U0AAq_ut.jpg

xgd0s9.jpg

#7344 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Two of my favourite people! (Even if one of them isn't actually a person. They'll have to slap some more wax on that sculpture, because modern-day Rock is even more impossible muscle-bound now :P)

Kotaku interviewed Reggie about various Switch things (voice chat on a phone app, no save backups, that kind of thing), and it is an absolutely amazing example of Reggie's ability to speak at impressive length without ever actually saying anything:

On whether Nintendo expects its customers to carry both a Switch and a 3DS around with them:

Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo: What we expect is that for the Nintendo 3DS family of devices, the appeal is a thousand different games, a wide range of different experiences, a wide range of different formats, whether it’s the New 2DS XL or whether they brought a new 3DS last year or whether they buy a New 3DS XL. We think that consumer is looking for essentially exclusively portable type of games and experiences. And they want to have content for that vast library.

“We really do see [the Nintendo Switch purchaser] much more as a consumer who is motivated for a home console experience but they never want to leave their game behind. But they’ll always take it with them.”

On the risk Switch owners take that if they lose their system, they will lose their save files, which currently can’t be backed up.

Totilo: We at Kotaku have heard the feedback—and I’ve even worried about it myself–that the lack of cloud save and even the back-up option I can do with my 3DS [can cost people their save files if they lose their Switch]… do you guys hear that message?
Fils-Aime: We do.
Totilo: Can you say that there’s a solution coming?
Fils-Aime: I can’t say there’s a solution coming, but we do hear the message.

The man is a master.

Also, a neat chart of E3 trailers and their Youtube views and Like/Dislikes that I stole from NeoGAF:

dT4amjz.png

I really didn't expect Spider-Man to be killing it so hard.

EDIT - After being dropped by Square-Enix, IO Interactive is now officially an indie studio, with full control of the Hitman IP. There were worries of Square selling off Hitman or IO going under, so this seems like the best way things could have gone.

And Forza 7 will require 100GB, both on PC and Xbox One. That's crazy enough on PC (my 250GB SSD cries), but on Xbox One I'm pretty sure that means you're going to have to download a 50GB content patch on day one, because an Xbox One disc is only 50GB.

#7345 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

And, as much as I dislike Jim Sterling, I think we can all agree we know what the next Jimqusition will be about.

What do you mean "will be?" It already happened yesterday.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#7346 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

What do you mean "will be?" It already happened yesterday.

Oh, and a special Jimqusition was just put up today.  Not going to link to it because of enough language to make the Wolfenstien: The New Colossus seem tame in terms of the language used.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7347 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,095 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

One thing I find strange is that AMD had confirmed last year it had another hardware win and it wasn't Nintendo. This E3 we get an Atari teaser and they confirm it will be based on PC hardware and be a modern console. So I'm thinking AMD is working with them on their new Atari box. What does that mean? Well noone really knows just yet, but maybe another big contender or lightweight console. :P

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#7348 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

Some off-screen Mario Odyssey gameplay from GameXplain. I've been going back to Galaxy the last few days to try and deal with some of this hype inside me, and Galaxy Mario looks positively sluggish compared to Odyssey Mario. He's moving fast in this game, and it looks great.

Also, Captain Toad is in New Donk City! GOTY 2017 deliberations are going to be 100% bonkers.

Game Informer has an interview with Yoshiaki Koizumi, who seems to be taking over the late, great Iwata's role as Nintendo's go-to mouthpiece, wherein he lets slip such gems as:

We also ran across Captain Toad in New Donk City, and it was fun to see him. It seems like you guys have a fondness for him as well. Do you hope to do more with him in the future as well?
Motokura: Well I'd certainly be happy if you were looking forward to the possibility of a future Captain Toad game, but none we can mention just yet. But, Captain Toad is also an adventurer, so he will be wandering about in different kingdoms of Super Mario Odyssey.

Were there any costumes that we pitched that were like, "Nope, we cannot have Mario wearing that, that is inappropriate"?
Motokura: We have lots of creative costumes in this game, so I would just ask you to look forward to checking some of those out.

So you didn't say no to a bikini then?
Koizumi: Hmmm I wonder if there is a bikini? I don't think so, there's probably not a bikini?

Why does Mario want to stop the wedding between Peach and Bowser. Is he interested in Peach romantically, or does he have some other motives?
Koizumi: I've always thought that Mario carries a bit of a torch for Peach. I think that's true even back in the 2D Mario games. If not, he wouldn't be wasting his time rescuing her over and over again.

Do you think Princess Peach feels the same way?
Koizumi: The heart of a woman is a mystery.

EDIT - Hideaki Itsuno apologising that his new game wasn't revealed at E3:

twitter_-_2017-06-18_01u47.png

TGS, then.

#7349 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

In GTA news, GTAV has been brought down to a Mixed (68% Positive currently) overall rating on Steam, and an Overwhelmingly Negative (14% Positive) Recent rating.  For context of just how low, No Man Sky on launch got down to a 13% Overall, and currently sits and 32% overall and 37% Recent.  And it's not stopping there.  GTAIV has been dropped to Mostly Negative for Recent with 29%, and an overall Mixed at 63%.  In addition, the mod tools/menu mods of Menyoo, Lexicon, and Force Hax have joined OpenIV in being taken down, and modders are speculating that Script Hook and the Native Trainer mod will follow suit very soon.

And in other news, following hints and a community goals, Frontier Devellopment has just revealed what Update 2.4 of the Horizons Expansion of Elite: Dangerous will be centered around.  Previously to the most recent Community Event, Frontier was very tight lipped about what 2.4 would entail, only giving subtle hints overtime with the Alien Barnacles on planets, Unknown Artifacts, and the "First Contacts" through Hyperspace Interdiction.  The update is centered around the Thargoids, an alien race first shown off in the original Elite back in 1984.  Encounters with them didn't normally go well for players in the original Elite.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7350 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:55 AM

The Steam sale is starting tomorrow, so... do we still make jokes about wallets? I don't want to be the "going downhill" guy, but Steam sales ain't what they used to be and I can't really work up any hype any more. In Australia, where we pay inflated prices and have to use US Dollars, which leads to double price increases on some games, Steam is actually the most expensive place to buy PC games.

#7351 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:01 AM

The Steam sale is starting tomorrow, so... do we still make jokes about wallets? I don't want to be the "going downhill" guy, but Steam sales ain't what they used to be and I can't really work up any hype any more. In Australia, where we pay inflated prices and have to use US Dollars, which leads to double price increases on some games, Steam is actually the most expensive place to buy PC games.

I can't find the link anywhere but I remember reading that this is due to them having to abide by new refund laws (in the EU at least) which mean that the crazy sales of £1 games would hurt their profits a lot more than before.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#7352 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

In Australia it's because our consumer law regulation body took Valve to court over their refund policy a few years ago, and when the court rules in Australia's favour Valve tried to weedle out of it by claiming they don't actually do business in Australia. To keep up appearances, they've kept the Australian Steam Store paying in US dollars, even though plenty of countries get to pay in their own local currency (including New Zealand, which is right next door!). You end up with situations like when Prey released a couple of months ago at $80 US on the Australian Steam store, marked up from the $60 US price and in US dollars, so we paid around $110 Australian dollars. Meanwhile, you could buy it for $59 at retail on day one. 

So here's some in-engine footage of Beyond Good & Evil 2, for the first time ever:

Kind of looks like No Man's Sky or Star Citizen or something. I really don't know why this is called Beyond Good & Evil.

And Metroid: Samus Returns has a special edition, with a steelbook that looks like an original Game Boy cartridge!

dc8okkgxoaamguqccui7.jpg

EDIT - So here's an interesting wrinkle to the Xbox One X situation. The 4K textures necessary for playing 4K games aren't going to come on the game discs; rather, if you put your disc into an Xbox One or Xbox One S it'll play as normal, whereas if you put it into an Xbox One X it'll trigger the download of a 4K texture pack. Considering you can only get 50GB on a disc these days, that means an extra 50GB download for Forza 7. I guess there's no way of getting around that, though, with game install sizes skyrocketing and 4K being a crazy number of pixels. Hopefully internet providers and hard drive manufacturers will catch up before too long, because right now the included 1TB hard drive is not going to last long, and you're going to need some speedy internet with a bunch of data to get into a game in a reasonable length of time.

#7353 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

Nintendo just announced the SNES Classic for September 29th:

DDQlaDAVwAEleYg.jpg

snesw4j1g.png

Make sure to hurry and get your pre-ord-

IGG44mI.png

EDIT - Australia and Europe get the way cooler multi-coloured-button version:

219020-L-LO.jpg

#7354 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hey, guys. Dying Light, its expansion, and all the DLC is on sale for pretty cheap right now during this whole summer Steam thing.

You should buy it and play it with me. I friggen love this game* and it'd be great to play it with someone. I've been replaying it some more lately to make sure I'm prepared for the upcoming free DLC they're releasing all year (God bless Polish game devs).

*: except the ending of The Following, which I really hope the devs will find a good way to fix, especially since I'm definitely not the only person still immensely upset about it

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7355 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:27 AM

POPULAR

Just posting some amusing game related tweets:

https://twitter.com/...517281117110272

https://twitter.com/...270882184798210

Also:

DCXJmY-WsAATr1e.jpg

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#7356 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

https://twitter.com/...517281117110272

i miss when game "journalists" were people who actually liked games

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#7357 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Patron
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

This seems like as good of a time as any to make fun of Polygon again for their playtest of Doom (2016)

Perhaps the best out of all of them:
a8QDDX7.gif

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7358 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

Video games? Hah, the 1980s called, grandpa; they want their entertainment paradigms back. The mid-to-late 2010s are all about hot takes, thinkpieces and needlessly hostile clickbait headlines. Seven Reasons Why You're A Stupid Idiot For Performing This Everyday Task the Way You Do. Who's got time for video games?

Case in point, Polygon's newest travesty:

Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

One might be tempted to think that Nintendo was doing a nice thing for their customers by continuing to support the 3DS with new games this many years after its release, but such positive thoughts are simply not possible in the grim, dark future of 2017.

EDIT - FORGET THAT RUBBISH, PLATINUM MIGHT BE TEASING THINGS! They've just opened an official Twitter account, and their first tweet is this picture drawn by Hashimoto (director of Bayo 2):

DDx1WixUMAA0_8F.jpg

The internet, being as incorrigible as always, immediately spotted the red/blue theme's similarity to a certain controller combination available for a certain new Nintendo system, and Platinum retweeted this picture that a fan sent them:

DDzuhh0UQAIyVje.jpg

Am I going to buy Bayonetta a fourth time? Just give me an excuse, P*.

Also there's a Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct later this week.

#7359 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

Alright, update on the Platinum Switch teasing. Their official Twitter account just posted this:

dO9zTLs.jpg

Wonder Green, Wonder Black and Wonder Director (aka Hideki Kamiya) sitting around playing The Wonderful 101 on a Switch with Famicom-themed JoyCons. I'm going to die, you guys. It's also interesting that the backs of their jackets say "W101", because in the original game they said "W100". The extra one was you, the player.

Here's the Splatoon 2 Direct:

Here are your new cephalopod waifus:

DEDv6KIXUAUykQK.jpg

And here is your newest GOTY, out of nowhere, City Shrouded in Shadow:

It's like the Disaster Report/Disaster: Day of Crisis games, except instead of escaping Tokyo in the midst of a natural disaster, you're escaping Tokyo in the midst of attacks from Patlabors, Ultramans, Evangelions and Godzillas. I am so there.

#7360 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

Still haven't played Bayonetta, still don't particularly care, but:

City Shrouded in Shadow - This looks awesome. I will definitely pick this up.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users