Photo

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Sheevwalker

• Please log in to reply
2187 replies to this topic

Poll: STAR WARS

Who's the Skywalker?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#2181 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,225 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

My first thought on seeing the title and hearing Sheev's laugh was that it was going to have some flashbacks to either Luke or Anakin, but then I remembered that there are already three movies for each of those characters. So, yeah, maybe it's Rey taking the name Skywalker as a mantle, or even just replacing the word 'Jedi' with 'Skywalker'. I'm not crazy about that, because it reminds me of the "Tell me another tale of The Shepard" nonsense they tried to pull in the Mass Effect 3 ending, but maybe if JJ handles it with a little more nuance than none at all he might be able to pull it off.

Or, hell, maybe the Skywalker in question is Kylo Ren, and he's going to have a revelation and start calling himself Skywalker to distance himself from his old ways (I've already seen people theorising that him Rock Bottom-ing that dude in the trailer is actually him killing one of his own knights while fighting for the Rebellion with his own defected Stormtroopers). Or it's Leia. Or Ghost Luke. Or Ghost Schmi. Or, like The Last Jedi, it's going to refer to multiple things throughout the movie. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

EDIT - Also, we'll obviously have to see it in full, but I'm calling Rey as an early contender to win the coveted Best Flip award. We anime now, bois. Prequel flips ain't got nothing on that work of art. Given that it also looks like we're going to get some underwater Death Star 2 action, as seen in the early concept art books for the Sequel Trilogy, I wonder if they're also going to bring back the best idea in all Star Wars history:

swa7.png

gmjc0bwelmiz.jpg

#2182 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

lMiFETs.jpg

This screenshot is everything I love about JJ Abrams' action scenes. Look how hard they're GOING FOR IT! You can feel the sense of speed and urgency from the still picture alone. 

Also here's some more of that sunken Death Star 2 concept art from pre-Episode-VII:

Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Concept-Art-

TZOTWGf.jpg

#2183 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:36 PM

I've already read some theories that "Skywalker" will become the new term for force users, casting aside Jedi and Sith as commonplace terms.

It kinda makes sense but it's also kinda dumb.

I'm glad someone agrees with me on this.

The sad part about this theory is that it's so hokey and sappy that Disney is most likely going to do it.

#2184 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

I think they could make it work. Consider that they've already totally done away with the word 'Sith' without anyone really noticing. Nobody's used it in either of the sequel trilogy movies so far; it's essentially been replaced with 'the Knights of Ren', and I haven't seen any hateful 20-minute Youtube rants about that. Maybe Rey's going to set up the Knights of Skywalker, or just the Skywalkers. It's really not that bad a name for what Jedi actually do, after all.

EDIT - Here's Ian McDiarmid on stage proving that he can't even get through three words without chewing the scenery:

The man is a ham of the highest order and we are lucky to be getting more from him. The Sheev Train never stops.

#2185 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

I think they could make it work. Consider that they've already totally done away with the word 'Sith' without anyone really noticing. Nobody's used it in either of the sequel trilogy movies so far; it's essentially been replaced with 'the Knights of Ren', and I haven't seen any hateful 20-minute Youtube rants about that. Maybe Rey's going to set up the Knights of Skywalker, or just the Skywalkers. It's really not that bad a name for what Jedi actually do, after all.

The Sith going away is part of the overall theme of the series: the Sith died with Vader and Palpatine, and Disney was smart enough to pick up on that when the Old Canon wasn't. Snoke and Kylo are supposed to be something different than the Sith, but the problem is that it hasn't been explored at all because Disney has forgotten how to do anything good with Villains like how they used to. 

I honestly thought that Snoke was either a botched clone of Palpatine or some kind of Grey Jedi, but now that he's dead it doesn't really matter. Kylo's progression as a villain is one of the things I really liked about the Last Jedi, and I hope that they continue to explore this character as a completely irredeemable Dark Side user and make him a parallel to Darth Vader, rather than try to redeem him, because it would be disingenuous at this point because he has done too much evil stuff to be redeemed. 

Also, I don't even know what the Knights of Ren are supposed to be. I'm not sure if they're even Force Users, because they honestly look more like some sort of elite squad of soldiers than anything else. 

#2186 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:21 AM

Also, I don't even know what the Knights of Ren are supposed to be. I'm not sure if they're even Force Users, because they honestly look more like some sort of elite squad of soldiers than anything else. 

Aren't they just students from Luke's Jedi school who went off with Kylo when he burnt the whole thing down? Come to think of it, I can't remember if that was ever actually stated officially or if it's just what we've all been assuming all this time :P

Anyway, here's some footage of the Mandalorian TV show:

I'm into it, though I hope they aren't also going with the miserable grey colour palette of Solo and the Fallen Order game.

zcrzlJR.jpg

D4ILXFsXoAg2ck9.jpg

#2187 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:03 AM

star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-0

star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-1

star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-0

More from Vanity Fair. It looks so goooood!

#2188 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,275 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:53 AM

Nobody else biting on the KOTOR Movie rumours? I saw the A.V Club and several other outlets reports. Not sure I see value in adapting directly KOTOR itself, but I think films set in the Old Republic period would definitely be a good way for directors to experiment with new films without the baggage that comes with the Skywalker era.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users