#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

POPULAR

Objective
The objective is to create a comic strip or page that tells a story set in a fantasy universe. A comic is a series of sequential images (frames), usually (but not always) accompanied by text. Here are some more specifics:

• The comic must be compiled into a single image file. The maximum width for the final image is 950 pixels, but it can be as tall as necessary. This means you can enter a standard 3-frame gag strip, or tell a pretty long narrative instead if you like. But remember: brevity is the soul of wit, and if you make it extremely long then the image file size will be enormous. So don't get too carried away. ;)
  • Your comic can be comical or dramatic. You know, tell a joke or be all serious. Doesn't matter, as long as you tell some kind of story.
  • You can use nearly any medium you like to create the comic. This includes hand-drawn art, photographs of LEGO or action figures, live-action photos, video game screenshots, etc.
  • For this first contest, the comic must be set in a universe of medieval fantasy or ancient myth. High fantasy and sword-and-sorcery, with weapons and armor resembling any time period before guns came along. You may tell a story from Greek or Norse mythology; choose a setting from a book, movie, or video game; use a generic setting or one of your own creation; etc. And of course you are encouraged to use our own little world of Wulfgard, in which most of my own comics are set, if you choose. Nearly any fantasy story can be made to fit there, by design. Feel free to ask questions in the Q&A thread in the Wulfgard board. Entries set in Wulfgard may be featured on my webcomics site as a guest comic and receive a bonus prize!
  • Lastly, of course, your comic must fit within the rules of SSLF. No adult content please. Keep it PG-13 at most.

Judging & Prizes
The winners will be judged for both art and story quality. Regardless of medium, images should look clear and well-edited, and the story should be reasonably concise and interesting (and/or funny). Werewolf and I will be judging, and we will also try to recruit volunteer judges from the forum (starting with Mods & Nova Members).

Winners of the main prizes will receive a medal icon under their forum username and a discount code for the Saber-Scorpion's Lair Shop. The grand prize winner will also get a custom LEGO minifig of Bob Bumbleton, protagonist of fan-favorite comic So You Wanna Be An Adventurer? ! (picture below)

All entries set in Wulfgard - regardless of whether or not they win the main prize - will also be judged separately by me for the BONUS PRIZE! This includes being featured on the Saber-Scorpion's Webcomics page as a guest comic, plus a forum icon and a code for my shop that will award a discount and a few special Wulfgard items!
(NOTE: I may also decide to feature some LEGO-based comics on my Webcomics page regardless of setting - we'll see...)

SYWBAA_BOB.jpg
The Grand Prize: Bob Bumbleton, protagonist of "So You Wanna Be An Adventurer?"

How to Enter
Just post your entry in a reply to this thread! It couldn't be simpler.
The current deadline is SEPTEMBER 30th.

Entries so far...

Feel free to reply with questions if you have any!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Holy crap those are some nice prizes. Oh man I'm super super excited about this. I'm a little worried about that deadline though, we're already halfway through August. Would you mind extending the deadline by, I dunno, an extra month? Comics aren't quick things to make as I'm sure you know. :P

Also, mine might be kinda long, so I hope you don't regret that unlimited height thing. :P

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#3 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

I added a picture of the grand prize! :D It's in the first post, so just scroll up.

Holy crap those are some nice prizes. Oh man I'm super super excited about this. I'm a little worried about that deadline though, we're already halfway through August. Would you mind extending the deadline by, I dunno, an extra month? Comics aren't quick things to make as I'm sure you know. :P

I anticipate the deadline will almost certainly be extended, especially since I managed to wait until school is starting up again and eating up everyone's free time. But not yet. I'll think about how far to extend it. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#4 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

I very well might enter this. I've had a new fantasy idea in my head just waiting leak out, and this might be a good way to visualize it. As far as the deadline...

the deadline will almost certainly be extended

...thank goodness.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#5 Catburg

Catburg

• 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

Wait if your giving out Bob as a prize does that mean SYWTBAA will continue i loves that story

#6 M1dn1ghtL3G3ND

M1dn1ghtL3G3ND

Rookie

• Nova Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

I have some experience with making LEGO based comics. I'm really excited about this contest! I am a little concerned about the deadline though. I'm still in high school, so I may not have enough time to at least finish the comic till September 15. I am glad that it's been taken into consideration to extend the deadline, and if so, I'd be really appreciative nonetheless. I will try my best to make a good comic, but I can't be 100% sure that I will be posting. I have lots of school work and studies to attend to at the moment. Although that doesn't mean I won't try. Good luck to all!

Cheers!

M.L.  :lego_grin:

#7 Louis

Louis

Rookie

• 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

Where do you post the comics?

#8 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Where do you post the comics?

You will have to upload the image to a hosting website. I suggest Flickr, Majhost, or Imgur. If it's a LEGO comic, you can use MOCpages or Brickshelf. If it's a Nova Refuge or Wulfgard comic, you should be able to upload it directly to the Gallery on SSLF!

Once you have them uploaded somewhere, just post the comic, or a link to the comic, in a reply in this topic!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#9 Louis

Louis

Rookie

• 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

Well then, here's my entry:

9605683761_5ea0963188_b.jpg

#10 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well gee golly jeepers, this here's the deadest contest I done ever run! Hopefully it's just because all of you are hard at work on your entries and want to use up every last minute available in order to perfect them, right? ;)

Louis, I may just give you a special prize for being the only one to enter within the original deadline. :P

But since I would really like to have a bunch of cool entries for this, I AM EXTENDING THE DEADLINE TO THE END OF SEPTEMBER! Maybe I will make a few example entries to inspire people...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#11 Florent

Florent

Ocelot has liked a post you made in the E3 topic

• Nova Member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

I know how these things play out, there is only one or two submissions, I think "Wow, I might be able to make a better comic/lego/drawing than these!", I post something decent, and then a day before the deadline a bunch of amazing comics spring up. 

I'm going to take my time, and come up with something good. Winning the Bob Bumbleton minifig is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#12 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

I AM EXTENDING THE DEADLINE TO THE END OF SEPTEMBER!

Still thinking. I'm not sure if I'll actually enter, but as of now I'm hoping I can. As far as progress... well, I'm still brainstorming. I was thinking earlier of something serious, but I'm not sure if that'll work out.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#13 Louis

Louis

Rookie

• 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Louis, I may just give you a special prize for being the only one to enter within the original deadline. :P

Sounds good to me! :)

#14 Joker

Joker

=333

• Nova Patron
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Just thought I'd let you know, comics 85 and 84 needs to switch places. I'm in progress of rereading all of them, ah fond memories.

#15 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

I will be entering. I'm just GIMP coloring the last two pages but I've got a bit of a college rush to beat. So I'll have an entry by Sunday.

giphy.gif

#16 orand

orand

• 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Here is mine.

osszerakva_eng_zpsd27feb2a.jpg

#17 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

I've inked, colored and bubbled 2 pages already. I was gonna do a single, classic page with a few panels but suddenly I wanted to tell more and more. I wish I could streamline the process with a tablet or something instead of a touchpad. I'll finish this last page by this week and submit it. :)

giphy.gif

#18 orand

orand

• 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Oh, I did not realize during editing that the speech bubbles were this small. Should I enlarge them?

#19 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Well, I can read it, but if you have a bigger version of the image you can just post that. It might be easier to read. It can be as wide as 950 pixels. ;)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#20 orand

orand

• 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

I do not have a bigger version, but I can make it. However, if you can read it then I guess it is not a big problem. I would gladly spend time on enlarging it, but at the moment I do not have much time to spare on things like this, only for those that are musts. School-stuff, to be precise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users