Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

POPULAR

elemental1_water.jpg

Elemental Contest #1: WATER

This is a series of contests themed around a set of fantastical "elements": Water, Ice, Air, Storm, Fire, Earth, Life, Darkness, and Light. I might add more, or remove some, or change the order. There will be a new one every few months. I don't know if we'll ever make it to the end. That depends on how many people enter, for one thing. So tell your friends!

The first theme is WATER. Your entry can be set in any time period or based on any universe - be it high fantasy, sci-fi, superheroes, whatever - so long as it prominently features WATER as a central element of the piece. Preferably the water should be doing something, rather than just sitting there. An entry depicting a ship at sea will get a few points, but one where the ship has sprung a leak and water is spraying out and flooding the deck will get more. An entry showing a battle atop a dam might get a few points, but one where the dam is breaking and water is pouring out will get more. Be as creative as you like!

LEGO entries are encouraged, but I know some of my forum members don't do LEGO, so we also accept other types of artwork, even written entries. Depending on how many of those we get, we may judge them in a separate section. LEGO entries can take any form, but vignettes or dioramas are preferred.

Please note that this is the WATER contest, not the Ice or Storm or Air contest, all of which will come later. So your water must be in the liquid state, not frozen or in the form of a cloud. LEGO entries can use whatever they like to represent the water: any shade of blue bricks, trans-blue bricks, clear bricks, or even actual water if you want to get really crazy.

JUDGING & PRIZES

Entries will be judged according to three main criteria: general creativity, overall quality, and use of water as the central theme. There will be a panel of no more than 5 judges, with myself and Maverick-Werewolf being 2 of them. We will call for volunteer judges later, so don't ask just yet. Consider entering instead, first!

Each winner will get a code they can use to take a certain amount of money off one order from my shop (it also subtracts from shipping, so your order can be completely free!) and a medal icon added to their account here on the forums.

1st Place Prize = $24 shop code & gold medal

2nd Place Price = $16 shop code & silver medal

3rd Place Prize = $10 shop code & bronze medal

There will be bonus prizes for winning entries set in Wulfgard or Nova Refuge too!

HOW TO ENTER & DEADLINE

Just link to your entry in a reply to this topic! Yes, you must have a forum account to enter, and I encourage you to post your entry as a topic in the appropriate board here, like the Construction Zone or Artwork boards. You can even host your images in our own Gallery here, which now has a LEGO section anyone can use! But if you prefer, you can still host your images on another website and simply link to them here.

As stated previously, LEGO entries are encouraged, but you can also enter another type of artwork, or even a written entry.
You may submit up to 2 entries. The current deadline is March 31.
 Now go get your toes wet and start working on an entry!

F.A.Q.

If you have a question about the contest, please ask in a reply! I will paste important questions/answers here.

SAMPLE ENTRY

The Dungeon Behind the Falls

ENTRIES SO FAR

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

Sick. Imma try my hand at LDD for this one. :)

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#3 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:57 AM

I already said I'd enter, so I'll say it again, I'll enter.

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

#4 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

POPULAR

So I have a sculpture. Multiple photos just for different angles. The water is melted marbles, and the black spots are a different kind of marble that melted at a higher temperature to represent the ink.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

I am hoping the deadline can be extended by one or two weeks, due to continued illness as well as the search for and finding of work and internship I haven't had any time to work on my entry yet.

Although I would really like to make something it is really difficult to find time.

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

#6 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

I am hoping the deadline can be extended by one or two weeks, due to continued illness as well as the search for and finding of work and internship I haven't had any time to work on my entry yet.

Although I would really like to make something it is really difficult to find time.

Don't worry, I'm planning to extend it to the end of the month. Since we've only gotten 1 entry so far, I'm going to post up a "sample entry" creation (already finished - I just need to take the photos) on LEGO sites and social media to try to stir up some entries, and extend the deadline to give everyone time. :)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

Thank you! I hit a bit of a creative rut on my entry, so I was considering asking for an extension, myself ^^

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#8 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

Don't worry, I'm planning to extend it to the end of the month. Since we've only gotten 1 entry so far, I'm going to post up a "sample entry" creation (already finished - I just need to take the photos) on LEGO sites and social media to try to stir up some entries, and extend the deadline to give everyone time. :)

Thanks! I will hopefully be able to start working on my entry this upcoming weekend, the extension is greatly appreciated :lego_smile:

#9 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

POPULAR

Here's the sample entry!

waterfall_dungeon_01.jpg

And the contest deadline has now been extended to the end of March! :)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#10 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

LDD is the worst, worst, most horrible building experience I have ever had in my entire life.

Untitled.png

Spoiler

In case you cannot tell because of how janky goofed up LDD's transparent bricks are, it's meant to be an underwater pipe deposit, with the ugly transparent blocks being the fast flowing water shooting out of the pipe. If it doesn't look like that at all, my bad. 

LDD is just so rough and unforgiving that making the changes I wanted to was so impossible. The endless range of the bricks I wanted was cool, but hunting them down in the virtual bin category system was harder than finding a C3P0 hand in a 20gallon tub of legos, so there was that too. So I got tired of it all. But I take great comfort in knowing that if I had the bricks in my hands, I could make much better stuff than that. :P It sure wouldn't be worse. 

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#11 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hurricane gets 10/10 for shear willpower. I toyed around with digital designer once when I was 8 and found it to be a very... meh. And if you placed so much as one 2x2 plate, it would cost like $17.00 to order. Not to mention you can't use any "S.N.O.T" methods.

(EDIT: the goldfish is a nice touch IMO. I also like that you did a little color mixing with the plants.)

I'll be working on mine over spring break. I'm thinking some sort of giant sea battle vignette. Maybe between the Achmer and Helexith. 

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#12 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

Holy crap, another entry! I was beginning to lose hope. I still think we're close enough to the original deadline that I can give Mr. Skeli'n the "Would Have Won The Contest By Default If I Hadn't Extended The Deadline" medal that I was planning, if he wants it. :lol:

Also, the little Flounder on top made me laugh.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#13 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:36 PM

Holy crap, another entry! I was beginning to lose hope. I still think we're close enough to the original deadline that I can give Mr. Skeli'n the "Would Have Won The Contest By Default If I Hadn't Extended The Deadline" medal that I was planning, if he wants it. :lol:

Also, the little Flounder on top made me laugh.

I know right? :P I wanted to suspend a whole school of the little fishies all around (like lots), but I couldn't get them to stick in LDD, so flounder was the best I could do. 

#14 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,841 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

POPULAR

Here's my humble entry.

Spoiler

A hydromancer ready to bring the rain or flood. Whichever he prefers that day.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#15 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Ooh I might enter if anything as an excuse to practice my art skillzz more. ;D So basically just about anything that has a buttload of water? Heh and here I was thinking it had to be a sorta elemental creature like a water based Beholder. :P

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#16 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

So basically just about anything that has a buttload of water?

Yep! No particular theme or setting, just as long as there's a focus on water. Anything from a water mage summoning a water elemental, to a sinking oil tanker, to settlements on a sci-fi water planet, to... well, anything you can come up with. :)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#17 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

Yep! No particular theme or setting, just as long as there's a focus on water. Anything from a water mage summoning a water elemental, to a sinking oil tanker, to settlements on a sci-fi water planet, to... well, anything you can come up with. :)

Aww yis. Hopefully I'll draw something up later today or tomorrow. :D

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#18 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

Holy crap, another entry! I was beginning to lose hope.

Still working on mine, since my pc borked I couldn't be arsed to look up my passwords and sign into any of my hangouts on my other devices. But I just got my pc back and my entry is about halfway done, trying a new water technique, I just need to fluff up everything around the water and with a bit of luck I'll have pics up by monday which is my day off.

Edited by Isundir, 17 March 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#19 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

Alright, finally got my entry to a relative state of completion. Let's see if it's good enough to give you significantly better builders a run for your money :P

Link to topic where I'll possibly be expanding this story in the near-future.

And to spare you having to go all the way there (not to mention confuse this entry with later entries if I do expand on this thing more), my entry below:

Spoiler

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#20 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Here's my Entry:

http://dwestmoore.de...irens-597626389

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users