• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 cheeso194

cheeso194

Corporal

• Nova Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Alright, so the previous topic is pretty dead, so I figure I should start a new one.
Anyway, I've just started a Pathfinder game, our party consists of a greedy dwarf wizard, a retarded human warrior (no, really, we needed a warrior and there was only two players and none of them wanted to play two characters, so I just play him and make him really stupid, he's also really useful for hinting them towards things) and a monstrous three colossal breasted one eyed rogue that uses bluff and disguise to pretend to be an elf, although we'll probably retcon that bit.
I've also dabbled in Call of Cthulhu, where we goofed around and kidnapped an orderly from a nearby insane asylum.
Those are really the only RPGs I've played, but I'd like to try that Marvel Super-heroes game or Spycraft.

I DO NEAT THINGS WITH COMICS

Cheeso's One Offs and Pilots

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9064

#2 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'll admit I have a bit of a beef with Pathfinder. It's played by D&D elitists who hate on 4th Ed for no reason. That isn't to say that Pathfinder is bad, I haven't played it, but people just bad mouth 4th Ed. If you're gonna hate on any D&D, hate on 'D&D Next' which is just awful.

As for tabletop RPGs, I suggest Jovian Chronicles which is freaking good. It's awesome all the crazy things you could do to enemy mechs (yes, it's a mech RPG game) just by rolling 2d6. :P I played a little bit of Call of Cthulhu, which I found to be a little odd. All I knew was that there was some crazy stuff happening and I was playing a DEA agent.

I've played Mutants & Masterminds which is a pretty good game. I've played Gamma World which I actually hated. I'm trying to remember what other games I've played... Oh I played Savage Worlds in a Halo setting which was pretty interesting. I can't remember what else I've played...

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#3 cheeso194

cheeso194

Corporal

• Nova Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'll admit I have a bit of a beef with Pathfinder. It's played by D&D elitists who hate on 4th Ed for no reason. That isn't to say that Pathfinder is bad, I haven't played it, but people just bad mouth 4th Ed. If you're gonna hate on any D&D, hate on 'D&D Next' which is just awful.

The main reason I chose Pathfinder as opposed to 4th Ed. is because it came with a much better starter kit (as it was all in one box, so I only had to buy one thing), although I did hear some nasty things about 4th Ed.
I'll have to investigate Jovian Chronicles and Mutant and Masterminds, which sounds like a lot of fun.

#4 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I have D and D next Demo, and it looks way better than fourth edition. I prefer pathfinder myself, and just started a campaign today.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#5 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

I'm really not experienced in this field of gaming, it is one of my weakest links, my weakest link is Football, not the good kind, I have however looked into playing D & D but I can't because my mom is paranoid, as well as Star Wars Miniatures. I really want to play Star Wars Miniatures if I can get a few of my friends to.

#6 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

What is your mom paranoid about?
Posted Image

#7 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

A couple years ago some nerds with no lives that did nothing but play D&D couldn't separate D&D from real life so they went on a quest and ended up killing the parents of one of the nerds. But you see, I have a life, friends that don't have any history of mental illness (they're still a bunch of idiots though) and I can separate reality from a hobby. I mean I don't go around town yelling "ME, USE WALK ATTACK!!" But that would be hecka funny.

EDIT: There are actually a bunch of murders/suicides "related" to D&D. I read some of the reports and they all sound like they were written by Jesus freaks. In the reports the only thing that is at all related to D&D is the fact that the people involved played it. It is not like they were all anti-semites that killed Jews, something that is getting less and less common every year I hope. It just happens, at least for most of the reports, that the kids involved played D&D. The only one that was almost definitely because of D&D was a case where two D&D players killed a fellow player who was probably getting in their way during the game.

Edited by Yava the Immortal, 28 June 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#8 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

A couple years ago some nerds with no lives that did nothing but play D&D couldn't separate D&D from real life so they went on a quest and ended up killing the parents of one of the nerds. But you see, I have a life, friends that don't have any history of mental illness (they're still a bunch of idiots though) and I can separate reality from a hobby. I mean I don't go around town yelling "ME, USE WALK ATTACK!!" But that would be hecka funny.

EDIT: There are actually a bunch of murders/suicides "related" to D&D. I read some of the reports and they all sound like they were written by Jesus freaks. In the reports the only thing that is at all related to D&D is the fact that the people involved played it. It is not like they were all anti-semites that killed Jews, something that is getting less and less common every year I hope. It just happens, at least for most of the reports, that the kids involved played D&D. The only one that was almost definitely because of D&D was a case where two D&D players killed a fellow player who was probably getting in their way during the game.

All that is complete BS. People who play games like D and D are less likely to commit suicide because they have an actual friendgroup. There probably are a few wackos, but you can say the same about knitting.
Posted Image

#9 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

All that is complete BS. People who play games like D and D are less likely to commit suicide because they have an actual friendgroup. There probably are a few wackos, but you can say the same about knitting.

Exactly, but she won't budge. I can still play other tabletops though.

#10 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Your mother was right in her call. D&D is, after all, Satan's game.

giphy.gif

#11 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Lots of stuff is accused of being satanic, like ROCK, METAL, okay well maybe that one, but there are lots of other things too that Jesus freaks use to blame what is wrong with the world even though some of the most horrific things in history were caused by Christianity and the Catholic church. Not blaming Jesus I'm blaming his idiot apostles I mean come on guys, he told you guys DON'T separate from Judaism, idiots. My point is, she isn't right to make that decision for me. I mean I'm not gonna be stupid enough to buy $200 of stuff for an RPG. Wanna know why? 'Cuz I'm not that's why.

#12 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7TuKwI0rcM

Far Out.

Lots of stuff is accused of being satanic, like ROCK, METAL, okay well maybe that one, but there are lots of other things too that Jesus freaks use to blame what is wrong with the world even though some of the most horrific things in history were caused by Christianity and the Catholic church. Not blaming Jesus I'm blaming his idiot apostles I mean come on guys, he told you guys DON'T separate from Judaism, idiots. My point is, she isn't right to make that decision for me. I mean I'm not gonna be stupid enough to buy $200 of stuff for an RPG. Wanna know why? 'Cuz I'm not that's why.

Oh for Pete's Sake... Can we please not generalize over twenty centuries of a religion that's changed radically over the years?

Edited by Rickard the Bearded, 30 June 2012 - 08:43 AM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#13 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

The main reason I chose Pathfinder as opposed to 4th Ed. is because it came with a much better starter kit (as it was all in one box, so I only had to buy one thing), although I did hear some nasty things about 4th Ed.
I'll have to investigate Jovian Chronicles and Mutant and Masterminds, which sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah, don't believe anything bad about 4th Ed until you've played it for yourself. As for the other games, well, for starters Jovian Chronicles isn't in print anymore, and you can only buy it online or find it via other means... Mutants and Masterminds though you can find in the store, or get it online as well.

I have D and D next Demo, and it looks way better than fourth edition. I prefer pathfinder myself, and just started a campaign today.

I strongly disagree. I mean, dude they completely got rid of the skill list! That game is serious BS.

Yeah, I think your mother might still be suck in 1982. See, most of that garbage happened in the 80's and even then that only happened very few times. I think that fire was fueled even further by that crappy Tom Hanks movie called Monsters & Mazes where he thinks the game is real.

I'd say that maybe about 90% of that post was uncalled for. And since you're 13 or whatevs, I'm pretty sure it is your mother's decision to make for you. After all, it is her money that would be buying those books, so... and if you're desperate to find them books, well, there are ways... use your imagination.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#14 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

No I have friends that have all the books and stuff and she knows that. She just doesn't understand that things are different now and people understand Mel Gibson is a freak, thanks South Park. Why would somebody make-- nevermind I got it. But why would Mel G-- got it, nevermind. If you were wondering the end to both questions were a movie like Monsters and Mazes and the answer to both were Jesus freak. I just don't get how people could be so impressionable back then but I guess that was before... I don't actually have a way to finish that sentence.

#15 cheeso194

cheeso194

Corporal

• Nova Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Wow, this got off going on the "satanic game" bit pretty quick. The reason people used to think it was "the devils game" was because back in the 80s several unrelated teen suicides where all "linked" by the fact some of them liked to play RPGs. In my party one of my friends has a pretty devout catholic family, and all he really had to do you show her that its not going to kill people was have her meet his friends, and thats what I'd generally advise. Honestly, if your mother has no problem with stuff like Harry Potter, she won't have a problem with this.
Also, $200? Wow, I've only spent 80-ish on Pathfinder. The core rulebook is pretty pricey, but most other stuff is fairly cheap and you only have to buy it once, you'll spend even less if you're just a player and not a DM.

#16 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

I have to cut myself every time we play D&D so there's fresh blood in play.

giphy.gif

#17 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

I don't like it when people think D&D is satanic. I asked my friend to come over, and as soon as his mom heard that I would be the "Dungeon Master" then she was done.

Basically what she said: "Oh, those bad people played D&D."
What I'm thinking: "Yeah, I'm pretty sure they wore pants and liked sugar, too."

However, that's her choice, and so I'll just let my friend miss out.
---

My point is, she isn't right to make that decision for me.

You do realize both of your parents pay for:
  • School
  • Your house
  • Your food
  • Your clothing
  • The car
  • Most of college
  • And much, much more
...right?

She sure does have the right to make that decision.

Edited by Ouflah, 30 June 2012 - 07:03 PM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#18 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

No I have friends that have all the books and stuff and she knows that. She just doesn't understand that things are different now and people understand Mel Gibson is a freak, thanks South Park. Why would somebody make-- nevermind I got it. But why would Mel G-- got it, nevermind. If you were wondering the end to both questions were a movie like Monsters and Mazes and the answer to both were Jesus freak. I just don't get how people could be so impressionable back then but I guess that was before... I don't actually have a way to finish that sentence.

I'll have you know that Mad Max is a freaking masterpiece.

Well, not the third one. But still.

Oh for G_d's sake, will you stop saying 'Jesus Freaks'? They're called Moral Guardians for a reason.

Edited by Rickard the Bearded, 30 June 2012 - 07:41 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#19 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

I strongly disagree. I mean, dude they completely got rid of the skill list! That game is serious BS.

First of all I want to point out I have played fourth edition, I just don't smash it withour playing it. I'm not going to go into complaints about it, they're actually pretty minor, I just think it has some extra problems over 3.5. Now, I've only playtested next what. And for one, there is no chaacter generation yet, you havr to use pre generated characters. They will release character generation info later this summer if i recall my dates correctly. So I don't know exactly how the skill system works, and I'll admit it needs improvement. But one thing i found, as the primary test i put the classes through was a PvP class balance test, where we played all the given classes against all the given classes. The thing that impressed me the most is how on the most part, they felt like yhey played vary differently. (The esception being given to the Cleric of Pelor and the Wizard, but the Cleric of Moradin had its own feel) and despite playing noticably differently, they were all pretty equal when it came to power level. Now, as someone who has played a fighter in campaigns where a Wizard was clearing the battlefield before i got there, that is someting I like to see. Another thing I love is the implimentation of the Backround and Theme setting. The backround is vague enogh that you can still create your own past, but now you have your backstory actually effects your character. The theme gives a nice amount in variance between how the classes can be played: The cleric with defender plays differently from the cleric with healer, yet both fulfill normal cleric roles from previous editions. This makes it a lot easier to build a class towards a certain goal.
Posted Image

#20 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yeah, kinda what he said. Classes are limited to their own archetypes; support wizards, offense wizards. Defensive clerics, offensive clerics, etc. Different branching trees if you will.

I don't get why people hate on 4e so much. I love it. I love how I can get a game going so easily, I don't have to check the rule books every 10 seconds, and I can invite lots of friends who won't be intimidated by the more classic complications. Yeah, it may be simpler, but that's good. No one likes having a keyboard for a controller, right? People like Harry Monster, a best friend but incapable of learning any game rules :P, can join us and not get too lost. That's why I think it's better; you're playing a flowing game with friends, which was the whole purpose of D&D in the first place! It's a game, remember?

giphy.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D&D, LotR, Elder Scrolls, Star Wars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users