• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Reviews have spoilers in them. You contradict yourself.

Actually, most of the reviews I get (Youtube, IGN (for teh lulz)) don't have much in the way of spoilers, aside from telling you us what's already been anounced. Why? Because they know there'll be hell to pay if they do spoil anything big.

#22 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

Ok put it this way:
Spoiler rule is one week and no longer. Considering it was zero before, that's quite a lot being given here.

End of discussion.

#23 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:50 AM

After some consideration, I have upped the spoiler-free period to 2 weeks, as many in this thread asked. I'm afraid I agree with them.

I'm sorry I bypassed the mods when making this change, but if it helps, the punishment doesn't have to be as severe for breaking the rule in the second week. Maybe just a warn, and of course deleting the spoiler post.

One week may be plenty of time for some of you, but heck, I didn't even get my copy of Halo Reach until almost a week after the release date because of Amazon's slow-arse shipping. I think 2 weeks is a more reasonable amount of time. Still too short in some cases, actually...

I hope this isn't a problem. If so, let me know.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#24 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

The Piracy Rule

From this point on, any discussion about illegitimate/pirated copies of games will result in a warn.

Pirating is illegal and against the law, and SSLF does not support the said action at all. No one cares if you do or do not, do not bring that garbage here.

Topic left open to discussion for a short time.
Old timer

#25 Black-Cat

Black-Cat

Bad Luck

• 922 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Was this rule made because of me? I apologize if it was, and I'll try to keep it out of discussion.

Beyond Redemption, my new part time job. Awesome job by Burngirl, by the way.

SaulLeesignature.png

VictorSig.png

#26 Kikayoaka

Kikayoaka

There must be some way out of here

• Banned
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I pirated Microsoft Word.

#27 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Posted Image

I got warned for talking about piracy a long time ago.

Can we discuss DRM and all that as long as we don't incite or suggest piracy as an alternative?

giphy.gif

#28 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes that's fine. You can discuss DRM as that is an abomination unto mankind, but suggesting the use of piracy to avoid it is a no-no. BTW I should clarify that this doesn't mean you can't talk about piracy. You might argue that piracy is a good thing like when Notch of minecraft fame defended it in one of his blogs, I would allow that kind of debate. But any debate about it needs to be theoretical. Admitting you pirate, asking questions on how to pirate and providing answers on how to pirate is what we don't want.

This kind of thing would result in a warn

#29 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Was this rule made because of me? I apologize if it was, and I'll try to keep it out of discussion.

No, it wasn't because of you.
Old timer

#30 Trik Toral

Trik Toral

Browning Perfection

• Nova Member
  • 698 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

I hate Jim Sterling on Dtoid for many reasons but his stance on piracy has a lot of good points. Ill try and name a few that I remember and agree with. (These are all things that I hear/assume and are my opinions not Dtoids, blah blah blah)
Pirating isn't always people being cheapskates or thieves, its people wanting the product without sh**ty DRM problems. When things like iTunes appear, people flock to it because its an easy way to get your music and its relativity cheap. But then they discover DRM and don't want to have to deal with things like authorizing and 15 passwords and syncing and such. Some people in the music/game industry think that DRM will stop people pirating but all it does it slow down the focused ones and make life miserable for the goody-two shoes that actually paid for the game.
I can't tell you how much I love Humble Bundles. They make tons of money selling a pack of 5 or so games, but they do it without DRM and you pay what you want. Some might pay a dollar and thats fine and I dont think anything less of them for it. Notch pays 5000$ and I respect him for that, and he's doing it to give support to the Devs and to charity, without getting 5000 copies of the game. I admit that I have sent every humble bundle code I have to my brother so that he can enjoy some new games. I dont think its pirating because when I buy the bundle they say "share it with your friends!" and by saving my friends 5$ I dont think I'm ripping off the Devs. I'm not suggesting that everyone go do that now but I think that in this digital age, the consumer should get his moneys worth, and having to pay extra for online passes or having to enter 5 codes just to install a game is stupid, bad for the company and bad for the consumer.
Here's a conversation I had with a friend:
Me: Hey, what games you been playing?
Friend: Battlefield 3
Me: Is it good?
Friend: Oh yeah! Its really great.
Me: Hmmm. Maybe I could borrow it sometime?
Friend: I would but theres some DRM that doesnt let me, I already tried with my other friend.

If I had been able to borrow the game, love it, and decide to buy it, I would have been able to support the developers but instead, I just have to buy it blindly, hoping that its good. If not Ill return it but there goes my time trying to argue with Gamestop employees and other stupid, unnecessary crap.

I think I got a little off topic there, but the tl;dr version is:
Pirating is bad but DRM should be easier on the real consumer and a lot of people wouldn't pirate if it was easy to get the product.....yeah.
Posted Image
Come visit us at the Firearms topic in the Nova board!
If your not a Nova you can still check out my blog "Firearm of the Week" (On indefinite hiatus)

You can follow the progress of the Magnet implanted in my fingertip and my newfound superpowers by checking out my Magnetic Blog!

#31 Florent

Florent

Ocelot has liked a post you made in the E3 topic

• Nova Member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Not even a mention?

I've had to rrent some copies of old games... I only uh.. rent games if they're over 10 years old, that ensures that nobody actually cares anymore.

ezgif-2-8ff8fb9d1c.gif

#32 Joker

Joker

=333

• Nova Patron
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

*warns everyone who replied on the matter* ^_^

#33 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

I think I got a little off topic there, but the tl;dr version is:
Pirating is bad but DRM should be easier on the real consumer and a lot of people wouldn't pirate if it was easy to get the product.....yeah.

Like Goldy said, talking about DRM is alright, but pirating to get around it is bad. Just leave it at that.

ForcedSim, your sarcasm isn't funny. Implying that you're "renting" games is the same thing.
Old timer

#34 Florent

Florent

Ocelot has liked a post you made in the E3 topic

• Nova Member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

ForcedSim, your sarcasm isn't funny. Implying that you're "renting" games is the same thing.

Scorp actually came up with that, but I digress.

ezgif-2-8ff8fb9d1c.gif

#35 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

Regardless, this is a new rule enacted, don't talk about it.
Old timer

#36 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Actually it was Ocelot. :P

Also, I have merged the SPOILER and PIRACY rule topics to reduce the number of pinned posts around here. Both are explained in the first post.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users