I've restarted my game 3 times nitpicking my main character's stats. :P 

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#162 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

A review of Pillars of Eternity done by SuperBunnyhop.  Thought I'd post it here in case anyone's interested.

#163 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

A review of Pillars of Eternity done by SuperBunnyhop.  Thought I'd post it here in case anyone's interested.

WHAT? Someone else here watches SBH? Awesome. But yes, the art and visuals alone are what I'd get it for, and that's coming from someone who is very focused on gameplay. Isn't it just my luck the gameplay is pretty sweet too.

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#164 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Welp, PoE has become only the second game since Dragon Age: Origins that I've turned the music off in.

If you reached into a box labeled "boilerplate fantasy game soundtrack", you'd get this game's music. I would not be surprised if Obsidian got it all off some freeware music site. It's SO. BLAND.

The rest of the game's fine so far, but this is seriously tainting it for me. :/

2004-2018

#165 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

I can't disagree there. Really disappointing after the amazing soundtracks that, well... every Infinity Engine game had. The voice acting isn't as good either, though it's passable. I only recognized one or two VA names. Matthew Mercer and someone else - I forget who. I guess this can all be blamed on the lower budget, but... I wonder if we could mod in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale music somehow...

On the other hand, I'm loving most everything else about the game: the visuals, the gameplay, the general feel of the engine... I had no idea they were going to try to emulate the Infinity Engine quite THIS closely. Though there are certainly modifications. I've heard people complain endlessly about the "engagement system," but I've yet to have a real problem with it. The IE games did need a better way to set up lines of defense and prevent kiting, and engagement seems to work fine.

I'm still not sure how much I like the story/characters yet, but it's too early to tell. The writing is solid of course, but I do find more... colorful characters to be more entertaining. Right now I'm just itching to play around with a full custom party, but I told myself I'd finish the game with an NPC party first...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#166 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

Some news for my little thread:

• Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition is coming, free to all Wasteland 2 owners. It sounds pretty heavily upgraded, with better graphics, more voiced dialogue, completely new character models, and best of all PERKS to choose when leveling! I'm glad I never finished the game, because it sounds like the version I was playing was just an extended beta. :| Still, I'm glad they're continuing to support and polish WL2.
  • InXile has also launched another Kickstarter campaign, this one for The Bard's Tale IV. I probably won't be contributing to this one. Partially because The Bard's Tale franchise doesn't pique my interest much, partially because I'm broke right now, and partially because I wasn't super impressed with Wasteland 2 so I'm waiting to see how Torment turns out before I toss more money InXile's way. I'm sure it'll get funded without me anyway. It's doing fine so far.
  • Speaking of Torment, here's a new video.
  • Divinity: Original Sin is also getting an Enhanced Edition, which will bring the game to consoles, and have a bunch of improvements much like WL2. So... I'm glad I didn't finish this one either, I guess? It seems like waiting a year after release to play these games is the best strategy. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#167 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

Everyone else updated their threads with stuff from E3, so I might as well do the same.

The first expansion DLC for Pillars of Eternity will be called The White March:

Twitch E3 stuff - gameplay starts at about 4:35

Banner Saga 2:

Preview at IGN

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#168 Trevize

Trevize

Creator Otiosus

• 103 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

Man, I'm really enjoying Pillars of Eternity in regard to story, combat, graphics and whatnot, but I'm getting over 5 minute load-times that have really discouraged me from continuing.

#169 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

People who think that the world of Game of Thrones is bleak and hopeless clearly haven't experienced the Banner Saga. Give me the White Walkers any day over the evil stone knights. :P Looking forward to this game. 

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#170 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

So I keep trying to get back into Pillars of Eternity, but, IDK, something is just...not there for me. I don't know what it is, really. I want to like it, and I can't really pinpoint any major flaw with the game besides the music, but it's just not grabbing me. :/

Buuut anyway, on a less disappointing subject, we finally have a release date for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. August 20. GET HYPE

On a quasi-related note, I have an extra copy of Shadowrun: Dragonfall on Steam if anyone wants it. Have I mentioned that it's kind of good? Because it is. Like, really good. Srsly.

2004-2018

#171 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

On a quasi-related note, I have an extra copy of Shadowrun: Dragonfall on Steam if anyone wants it. Have I mentioned that it's kind of good? Because it is. Like, really good. Srsly.

I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands, do you want anything for it?

#172 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

I haven't finished Pillars yet either, but only because the amazing Witcher 3 completely distracted me (and I've had no time). :P I was pretty invested in the game when I stopped, but I had only gotten to like the beginning of chapter 3, I think. My main disappointment with the game has been the way that companion input in major conversations seems like just an aside. They never say much important or have extreme reactions to different situations or actions.

Also it's annoying that it's almost impossible to import custom voice sets. :[

Buuut anyway, on a less disappointing subject, we finally have a release date for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. August 20. GET HYPE

And in related news...

BATTLETECH_03_HBS.jpg

HAREBRAINED SCHEMES IS MAKING A BATTLETECH GAME HOOOOLY YESSS  :lego_shock:   :soawesome:  :flail:  :flail:  :flail:  

It's not a MechWarrior game sadly - more like the strategy game MechCommander, but turn-based with RPG elements. They haven't released much info about it yet. I'd love for it to be longer and more robust than their short-but-sweet Shadowrun campaigns. But hey, no matter what, I'm STOKED.

Oh, and the Wasteland 2 "Director's Cut" is coming out October 13th. Sounds like a big improvement. More like the game should have been at release, honestly. Looking forward to starting over and finally finishing it this time.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#173 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands, do you want anything for it?

Nah, it's cool. I grabbed it dirt cheap during a sale a while back with the intent to give it away.

2004-2018

#174 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

BUNP.

So if you haven't heard, Shadowrun: Hong Kong is out!

And Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part 1 is too!

And Divinity: Original Sin 2 is now on Kickstarter!

oh god when am i going to have time to actually play all these games

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#175 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

The other day I saw a Pillars of Eternity box on a shelf in a Wal-Mart Walmart. Took me by surprise. I didn't even realize they were selling physical copies in stores. But then, I rarely look in the video games sections of stores, much less the PC game section, which is usually full of pretty much nothing and just makes me sad... But anyway, that was nice to see.

Nooz:

• Harebrained Schemes is appropriately named, because they're like the Energizer bunny of game Kickstarters. The just keep going and going. They just launched another one for their next game, Battletech (as in, mechs!). As you might have guessed, it was "funded" in probably less than an hour, but they have a slew of stretch goals. :P
  • A game I've been following for about 10 years now called The Age of Decadence has announced their final release date as October 14. They've never gone to Kickstarter, although they've been on Steam Early Access for some time now.
  • Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition and Wasteland 2 Director's Cut are also supposed to drop in October some time, with console ports and everything. And The Witcher 3's first big DLC, Hearts of Stone, too. October's a big month I guess.
  • The Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter is ending today, with close to 2 mil in pledges. They even signed on Chris Avellone to write some stuff for the game, continuing his new career as Professional Kickstarter Stretch Goal.
  • A German RPG called The Dwarves is struggling to meet its Kickstarter goal with 9 days to go. It looks like it might be a little shallow and action-RPGish but, on the other hand... dwarves. Hmm...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#176 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

The other day I saw a Pillars of Eternity box on a shelf in a Wal-Mart Walmart. Took me by surprise. I didn't even realize they were selling physical copies in stores. But then, I rarely look in the video games sections of stores, much less the PC game section, which is usually full of pretty much nothing and just makes me sad... But anyway, that was nice to see.

I saw a copy of Divinity: Original Sin at a Walmart a few weeks ago. It was the only PC game they were selling other than the usual World of Warcraft/Starcraft 2 + whatever MMOs just came out and haven't gone F2P yet.

Kinda wondering what the story is behind that, if Walmart has some kind of distribution deal with Kickstarter-ed games or something.

2004-2018

#177 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

This used to be a kickstarter RPG topic, right? I recently discovered a little game called Indivisible. It's from the makers of SkullGirls, and it looks absolutely gorgeous as a result. It's a bit steep to support--since you need to pay 60 to get the game itself if I read it right, but it looks damn promising. I love good 2D art, and it looks like the battle system has some elements of 2D fighters in it. 

It also includes a playable "prototype" that also shows just how gorgeous this game is in motion. Color me intrigued. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#178 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Hey, is it time to resurrect this thread again? Sure, why not! Because nobody cares? I care! Yeah but you don't count - you're a weirdo who talks to himself. No I don't!

NEWS

Shadowrun: Hong Kong has jumped on the OMG EXTENDED EDITION bandwagon, but thankfully they didn't "release" it as a whole new game on Steam like Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 did. It's just the same game with a new name and the bonus DLC campaign added. Judging by the achievements, it sounds like you get to go back to Seattle, and wrap up some companion storylines. Looking forward to it. And the whole game is 50% off on GOG and Steam right now.

Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 2 is coming out on February 16, and with it comes Patch 3.0 with some fairly nice changes detailed in the video above. I'm putting my current unfinished playthrough on hold until this patch drops, if only for the improved difficulty in chapter 3 (which is where I still am).

Torment: Tides of Numenera is now on $team Early Access. I didn't opt for beta access during the Kickstarter, and I'm certainly not going to bother with EA either, but the environments and such look very nice... although possibly a bit on the colorful side for a "Torment" game. I'm mostly disappointed in what I've seen about the companions. They seem awfully boring and normal and human-looking for the supposed spiritual successor to a game where your companions looked like this:

RtJruSn.gif

Another Kickstarter game called Darkest Dungeon also dropped a couple weeks ago after being in Early Access forever. It looks pretty nice, though I've heard mixed opinions about it. I'm waiting for a big sale to pick it up. :P

This one isn't Kickstarter, but since I've turned this into my RPG corner I might as well talk about other RPG's too now. Dragon's Dogma also dropped onto Steam a few weeks ago, now on PC for the first time. I played it on PS3, and it's pretty fun. Waiting for this one to go on sale too, so I can play it again and possibly try some of that endgame Dark Arisen content this time, even though I hate how dark it all is (literally, just way too dark).

In other news, after 17 years of working there - since the days of Baldur's Gate II - hot on the heels of Chris Avellone's departure from Obsidian - David Gaider has left BioWare. https://twitter.com/...890115661418497

I haven't been super impressed with his work since he started doing nothing but Dragon Age, but I did enjoy his angry rants directed at the BioWare fanbase when they ticked him off.

NOT-NEWS

Also I would just like to mention that, after spending some time with their Enhanced Director's Cut Editions, I've concluded that Wasteland 2 is still overall uninspired and disappointing, even after you finally reach California... but Divinity: Original Sin is actually quite possibly the overall best RPG to come out during the Kickstarter era. I've been having a blast playing D:OS Enhanced Edition co-op with Werewolf. It's just a really fun game. I'm so glad it's getting a sequel.

That's all for now. See you in a few more months, maybe. :V

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#179 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

Heed my words if you walk the path of DD: Dark Arisen!

You will really want to have these things:

1) Lvl 100+ Team

2) Either you or a pawn in your team needs the following enchantments to give the team: Holy, Lightning, and Frost

3) Melee is really weak! Play as a any ranged class, sorcerer, or mystic knight (the only melee class I'd recommend).

4) Remember to clear the island twice!

5) Find out where Tier 3 armor and weapons drop and farm away.

6) DON'T FIGHT EVERYTHING! Run through until you can either cheat out bosses that spawn in the area or you are tough enough to deal with them.

7) There is an item that will give you unlimited stamina for a period of time; bring plenty of those, especially for the final boss.

I've cleared the expansion several times, and I will admit, it can be rough on your first go. After you've cleared the isle, you should be able to tear through stuff easily. 

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#180 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

Shadowrun: Hong Kong has jumped on the OMG EXTENDED EDITION bandwagon, but thankfully they didn't "release" it as a whole new game on Steam like Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 did. It's just the same game with a new name and the bonus DLC campaign added. Judging by the achievements, it sounds like you get to go back to Seattle, and wrap up some companion storylines. Looking forward to it. And the whole game is 50% off on GOG and Steam right now.

I might have to check this out. I enjoyed Dragonfall more than Hong Kong, but I will take any excuse to spend more time with Racter who might be my favorite character in the Shadowrun franchise. They could easily design a whole game around him and his quest to bring Earth to a post-human future. :D

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users