Photo

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Maclunkey

• Please log in to reply
2254 replies to this topic

Poll: #REYLO

What will Rey and Kylo name their children?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#2241 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

Rey is supposed to have more of a journey of self-discovery throughout these films: we get to figure out stuff about her alongside her. But the way that Disney has chosen to do this, not to mention the herds of mouthbreathers who scream "IF YOU DISLIKE HER, YOU'RE SEXIST" rub people the wrong way so they don't give her a chance.

The same people that hate Rey are going to be the first people praising her when it turns out she's Obi Wan's granddaughter and that the climax of the series becomes Anakin's grandson and Obi Wan's granddaughter defeating the Emperor together.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#2242 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

I also want to butt in and point out that Neyo is using WW2 stuff and other things as an allegory for why he thinks the Last Jedi doesn't work.

I guess Occy lost that in translation in his rush to make fun of Neyo.

#2243 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:04 AM

I know I'm double posting, but I thought this was worth commenting on:

The same people that hate Rey are going to be the first people praising her when it turns out she's Obi Wan's granddaughter and that the climax of the series becomes Anakin's grandson and Obi Wan's granddaughter defeating the Emperor together.

Honestly, the Nightmare Hellscape I've turned this topic into has become so bad I can't tell if you're directing this at me or just making a comment.

But I agree 100%.  I would also like to mention that these are probably the same people who hated the Prequels, but now love them because the Sequel Trilogy exists.

#2244 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:47 AM

Yikes

What a garbage show for trash people. Thanks I hate it. Life sucks. What's the point of anything? How many hours of my life have I spent on this sunk cost fallacy of a show?

#2245 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

"hurr durr I can't BELIEVE you guys dredge up the SAME ARGUMENTS about TLJ TWO YEARS LATER"

The prequels first came out twenty years ago. People still take a dump on them every chance they get. Tell me, exactly when is the cut-off point for criticizing bad movies? They don't stop being bad with time.

EDIT:

I highly doubt this. This is disingenuous. She's a bad character, and who her parents or grandparents are barely affects that, and I'm willing to be 99% of this trilogy's detractors are fully aware of this. She'll not be getting praise just because of fan service. That's actually been one of the huge criticisms of this trilogy. In almost every criticism of Disney's Star Wars I've seen, there is a jab at Disney's soulless fan service. To be clear, fan service can be fine. It can be good. It's become associated with a really soulless form of shoving superficial elements and references into a work to appease the hardcore fanbase by giving them things they recognize, but fan service is also "writing a good story that is logical and follows the natural course of the story." That is doing a service to the fans. Disney has done the former. They have not done the latter. 

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

#2246 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

If the same arguments are being made two years later by different people, then they must have some merit to them as valid criticisms.

No no dude, y'all are just angry racist manbabies with hot takes who can't stand strong women and brown people in their children's movie about space wizards.

#2247 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

Ooh, don't forget, we're Russian bots, too.

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

#2248 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,317 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

See, look, you guys all know how it goes, too. When each side already knows everything the other is going to say, isn't that a pretty good sign that you don't need to have the argument any more?

You guys keep at it if you like, but I'm saving my energy for when TROS gives us some new things to argue about. Sorry about the General Patton thing, by the way. That wasn't nice, and I regret it.

Here's an interview JJ did about the Knights of Ren in TROS.

LIOlz3z.jpg

#2249 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,964 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

The Knights of Ren look cool and promising, but I feel they won't last longer than this movie. Would have loved to see them fight alongside Kylo in TFA and TLJ. It would have been interesting for Rey to be hunted by them and killing them one by one and working her way up to Kylo and Snorke, but I digress.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#2250 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:35 PM

I feel like it was kind of pointless to have an entire article just about JJ saying "Yeah, I wanted to explore them more in this movie. That's why they're in it."

But I am glad that they're returning in this film rather than in the Last Jedi. I remember Rian saying something about that if they had been in that movie, they would have been slaughtered in place of the Praetoran Guard, so I'm glad that JJ is at least going to flesh them out before doing the same thing.

#2251 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:05 AM

Yeah okay bye. I have no interest in coming back to discuss this any further here. Abandon thread. Congrats, you guys drove me away

Spoiler

It's getting to the point where it's actively exhausting to be a fan of Star Wars, and want to talk about it. There are lots of things I could probably say about how how much I like TLJ and TFA, going into detail on why these stories work on a fundamental level, but it's not worth my time. I actively don't want to. I don't want to talk about Star Wars any more, because every time I mention something positive there are dozens of children who absolutely need to voice their opinion on why my enjoyment of these movies is wrong. 

Well here's the deal kids, I love Star Wars. I love TFA, I love TLJ. You literally can't follow that up with anything negative. I enjoyed the hell out of those movies, and saw them 4+ times in the theater each. You can tell me I'm wrong, and that I didn't enjoy them, and that they're cinematic disasters. You can keep it up for two more years, for ten. I don't really care, because I enjoyed the movies, still enjoy them, and will continue to enjoy them for a long time. Seeing the new trilogy with my younger relatives has been a really special experience for me, Star Wars is something that generations of my family can bond over. I grew up in the prequel era, my parents and cousins grew up with the originals, and now my nieces and nephews are getting the sequels. We all enjoy the Star Wars that we got, and you jerks can't take that away from me, my family, or anyone else who enjoys the movies.

Just tryna talk about Star Wars smh this sucks.

What a garbage show for trash people. Thanks I hate it. Life sucks. What's the point of anything? How many hours of my life have I spent on this sunk cost fallacy of a show?

#2252 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:23 AM

Spoiler

I would like to remind everyone at this point that we ended up in this situation because I got angry at a bad joke.

And I would also like to say that I regret doing that because now this topic is just giant walls of text every two posts. 

Just to clarify that I have absolutely no problem with you or Ocelot or anyone else on this thread loving the Sequel Trilogy. I think its great that you are able to completely enjoy films that I do like but see flaws in. 

But can we all agree to an armistice and save the giant walls of text for after Episode 9 comes out.

I love y'all but this needs to stop.

#2253 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,317 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

Just tryna talk about Star Wars smh this sucks.

Don't go, Florent! I still want to talk about Star Wars. Honestly I think I love Star Wars more than ever at this ripe old age of 30. It makes me happy, gets me hoyped, and generally fills me with nice, positive thoughts like few other things do, and that's something I want to hold on to. I mentioned in the Mandalorian thread that I had Mr Plinkett still living rent-free inside my head, and I don't want him in there any more. I'm sick of being Cynical Ocelot. It's just not a fun way to be.

And being positive about Star Wars does unfortunately mean having to ignore a lot of what you see online, and forcing yourself not to engage in arguments that you know are just going to go round in circles forever, but I think that might ultimately be a healthy lesson to learn in itself. At least for me. Argumentative Ocelot has to go, too. I'm still going to have strong opinions about things, and I'm almost definitely going to write a small book's worth of text about The Rise of Skywalker over the next few weeks, but I'm not going to get down and dirty in the trenches like I did with The Last Jedi. Or at least I'm going to try not to. It's a work in progress :P

I mean, this is all a bit premature for The Rise of Skywalker, of course. There's no guarantee I'm going to love it like VII and VIII, or that I'm even going to like it at all. But, hey, even if I don't like it, I promise to at least try and be cool about it.

#2254 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,317 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:34 PM

Who's that handsome feller I spot over there on the right?

9tv42881fa241.jpg

EDIT - False alarm, it seems like this cover is just edited together from older sources. That's Leia from TLJ, the Falcon still has the old radar dish, and Sheev is apparently just this screenshot from Battlefront II flipped horizontally:

1533648734-788-card.jpg

#2255 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

EDIT - False alarm, it seems like this cover is just edited together from older sources. That's Leia from TLJ, the Falcon still has the old radar dish, and Sheev is apparently just this screenshot from Battlefront II flipped horizontally:

I swear to God if I see one more Episode 9 trailer or teaser that doesn't showcase anything of Sheev except his voice I'm going to make my own.

Just you wait.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users