• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,850 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

Greetings SSLFer's,

For my new project, I will be creating the World War II American heavy tank, the M6A1 (T1E1). This will be the first time I've designed a heavy tank out of LEGO. I have done the M7 MT twice, and got decently far with the T1E2 and T1E3 Cunningham LT's before I lost all my data on them. I may restart those projects soon.

At any rate, I suspect this project will be slow going as this tank is quite large and has an interesting suspension system, a small caliber coaxially mounted cannon, multiple hull mounted MG's, and is quite large due to a lot of dead air.

This was the first heavy tank that was standardized in the US's history, the first of 3. We have designed many more, but this is the progenitor of standardized American heavy tanks.

Once I finish this project, I may create the M6A2E1-1 heavy tank which was based on this chassis/hull and mounted a much larger gun in a much larger turret.

We shall see.

Again, this will be 1/35th scale to match all my other LEGO tanks and AFV's.
Actual to 1/35th Scale.
Length: 27ft 8in (Gun Forward) to 9.5in at 38 studs.
Width: 10ft 3in to 3.5in at 16 studs.
Height: 9ft 10in to 3.4in at 27 studs.

Reference Photos:
Q4Yv2B8.jpg
The M6A1/T1E1 by itself.
GYHdGib.jpg
M6A1 HT with M5A1 Stuart LT.
dSJ1K5a.jpg
M6A1 HT with M3 Lee MT and M3 Stuart LT.

Cheers.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 15 December 2018 - 05:31 PM.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#2 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

Can't wait to see the initial steps of the build. Your tanks have always been pretty neat to see.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,850 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:10 AM

Can't wait to see the initial steps of the build. Your tanks have always been pretty neat to see.

You shall see and thanks man, they're challenging, but fun builds.

One hour of work. Photos 1-4.

Spoiler

So, it may not look like much, but, the suspension is the hardest part of any tank build, because it determines the rest of the vehicle. If you mess up the suspension, you literally have to redesign the vehicle. Every tank build is built around the suspension, and if you mess it up and have to fix it, good luck. It happened with my M7 MT V2, due to the fender/sandshields being too low, and I had to raise the vehicle by 1 stud and redesign the front hull.

More to come, cheers.

Another hour of work. Two hours total. Photos 5-6.

Spoiler

Got the idler figured out and frontal hull shaping for the lower glacia plate. Working on the sideskirt.

Cheers.

Yet another hour of work. Three hours total. Photos 7-11.

Spoiler

Working on the sideskirt and making it look somewhat like the real thing. Very hard to get the shaping right, but I digress. I got the side hull tall enough for the installation of track links, I'll be using the 3 stud wide one for this tank. Almost done, I really need to get the front hull done haha.

Cheers.

Add another hour of work. 4 hours total. Photos 13-14. Photo 12 isn't important.

Spoiler

Worked on the front hull and fender detailing. The M6A1 heavy tank had a dual mounted .50cal MG's manned by the co-driver/bow gunner. I included the driver's periscope as well. I added the headlights as well as a shovel, one of the crew's pioneering tools. I then had to redo the back hull because it starts to slope down gently once the engine compartment starts. I added the taillights and trying to figure out how to make the rear storage boxes mounted on the rear hull above the massive vents for the engine of this beast.

Well, it's 4AM right now. I need to sleep.

Let me know what you think of it so far.

Cheers.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 18 December 2018 - 02:59 AM.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

#4 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,850 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:50 PM

Add another hour. 5 hours of work.

Spoiler

Doing the side hull that's not descending. Focusing on the front of the tank due to it being simpler. Not too much got done as I was trying to figure out where to mount the turret and how to finish the rear and rear side hull shaping.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#5 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,850 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

One more hour. 6 hours total.

Spoiler

I managed to finish the hull. That took 45 minutes. I did some very minor detailing on the engine deck, I thought I took a screenshot, but like I said, it's very minor. And that's how far I got with the turret in 15 minutes. Trying a new idea of planning it out via doing the turret roof detailing first. Luckily, this turret has flat sides, at least vertical, and translates well into LEGO with the weird shaping it has.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users