NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

A Dying Breed OOC - Rules, Character List, and Chat

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

This is the OOC topic for A Dying Breed. This thread contains the rules of the RPG, a character list with links to everyone's sheets, and conversations about what's going on.

RULES

A Dying Breed will run on the usual Errant rules, but here are a few refreshers.

Please note that you do not have an abilities list, but that doesn't mean there are no rules about what you can and cannot do...

I've tried to leave things more open, but when it comes to combat, general Errant rules apply. In combat, take only one action at a time. Always assume an enemy (or enemies) aren't cannon fodder unless I state otherwise. If you're allowed to instantly kill something in your post, I'll say so in the DM post.

This RP will potentially have boss fights. These boss fights have the same rules as any other fight, but your chances of being killed or critically injured are much higher, so be sure to think about your actions wisely.

That said, please always do something in your posts. This is meant to be a character-driven experience, so I encourage you to interact with other players and also with NPCs (companions or otherwise). I'm going to be trying to give everyone time to interact with each other, since interacting with other characters is - in my opinion - the most fun and important part of a RPG.

That, and this campaign will center on interaction, mystery, and intrigue. This is not a combat-focused RPG, though there will be combat at some points.

Your posts should always have at least one action or some dialogue so that you're doing something instead of just standing around thinking to yourself. No one can react to that, so it's really very pointless for a RPG. I'm also not taking eating, drinking, and sleeping into careful account, here, so don't focus too much on trying to end your posts doing something like that. If you sleep when everyone else is interacting, you aren't giving yourself a rested bonus, you're just missing out on the fun.  :P

If you have some form of magic or you are a unique race with special abilities, please consult me if you're confused as to what you can and cannot do. It's always better to ask than to assume and just make a post if it's something crazy. But hey - if you have magic, you probably can do something crazy! So just ask. :P Otherwise, use the wiki as needed to help.

If you receive a PM about this campaign, chances are it'll be in-character (I'll state otherwise if it isn't). I'll be PMing people information that only they are privy to, and it's their choice whether or not to share it with their fellow players. I may also have some interactions via PMs, so that players are not privy to those private interactions, either (if this happens, I'll specify this too, and if the conversation gets interrupted in-game the PM chain gets interrupted, also). If you want to keep something in-character secretive and drag one of my NPCs off to some private place, feel free to do so and then you can begin the PM chain. However, in-character PMing between players isn't permitted unless I'm also in the PM conversation (as DM, I have to know everything to give everyone the best experience).

Again, this shouldn't be used too often, as all players should be included when at all possible.

There will be no group penalties for people not posting, but if you get behind and want to catch up, please don't hesitate to just PM me and I can get you up to speed so you can get back in the game. It shouldn't be that hard to stay caught up with the RPG.

CHARACTER and PLAYER LIST

Feel free to discuss OOC here whatever you want.

The RP itself will be posted very shortly, later tonight.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

From what I can gather, three groups of Venator duos vanished in three different locations. We are starting out with twelve player characters, we could investigate in one of two ways:

1: Investigate each location with three groups of four, which would be quicker but have a higher chance of casualties.

2: Investigate each location as a group, but move slower.

But I think the bigger mystery is why Capulet has an Inquisitor character in this campaign. Maybe she's hunting whatever's lurking in the forbidden rooms...

#3 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

SPLIT. UP. THE PARTY.

I dunno, I think smaller groups is more practical ultimately. Sure, risk of casualties might be higher, but an intimate investigation with two other of your guys's hunters honestly sounds like a lot more fun.

Edited by El Taco, 20 May 2018 - 04:34 PM.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#4 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

I am supporting Taco's vote.

Not because I want to kill anyone, either. :P But because I think smaller groups, like you said, would encourage more intimate (don't look at me like that) interactions - and more interactions in general.

Feel free to ask Caiden, whoever wants him.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#5 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Will happily play around with the suspicion angle if Caiden ends up hopping on our investigation.

#6 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

I think smaller groups, like you said, would encourage more intimate (don't look at me like that) interactions - and more interactions in general.

Feel free to ask Caiden, whoever wants him.

*Looks really hard* :wub:

:P

Oh. I was hoping/expecting Caiden would come with Hollí, since he's Tom's friend and thus might be more familiar with/have more influence with Dragon's Lair/the Drake family. (Or, since Tom was kinda the black wolf sheep of his family, would Caiden's being friends with him count against him when it comes to the other Drakes?)

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#7 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

Lyneth is going to be sad if she doesn't get any pretty people to come with her :(

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#8 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

I'm sure Caiden would go with Holli if she asked... though admittedly him knowing the truth about Tom and having been a part of all that may end up causing some awkwardness/friction. But hey, that's always fun. :P

And also considering Holli is the person so far to have shown Caiden some support, I'm sure he's most likely right now to go with her.

And well, Burgsy, I'd love to see her flirt with Caiden, but... then it'd just be us, considering Perky. :lol:

P.S.: Don't worry, Taco, there will be plenty of time to play up suspicion angles for most everyone. :ninja:

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#9 Poetic

Poetic

Pure Cinnamon Roll

• Nova Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

Athens is pretty sad that Lyneth doesn't find him pretty.

64a00586gw1emine46g7pg209q05gu0z.gif

​"Keep running."

#10 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

Athens is pretty sad that Lyneth doesn't find him pretty.

I wrote that post before actually sitting down and reading yours ;u;

She is happy to have a pretty boy coming with her c:

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#11 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

We shall never surrender.

• 1,419 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

But I think the bigger mystery is why Capulet has an Inquisitor character in this campaign. Maybe she's hunting whatever's lurking in the forbidden rooms...

Oh don't worry, you'll find out.  Notice how she hasn't even been introduced yet?  ;)

As for splitting the party, Dalton's assessment looks accurate, but I'll ultimately leave the matter to Maverick's preference and the players' discretion.

I would, however, ask if someone who hasn't posted yet would be willing to join El Taco on the trip to Kyjovia, so that he's not stuck RPing with just his own characters there.

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#12 Poetic

Poetic

Pure Cinnamon Roll

• Nova Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

My posts are pretty bleck, I'll try to course correct for the future.

64a00586gw1emine46g7pg209q05gu0z.gif

​"Keep running."

#13 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

Your posts are perfectly fine, Poetic. :D

And now for:

A Quick-Facts Lore/Info Post (for your characters)

...that I should have done before the RP even started but I am disorganized lately. Don't be me.

You'll want to read this.

Characters:

• Brennus of Ravenstone has been with the Venatori for a very, very long time. His half-elven blood has given him an advantage of lifespan over Men, which he has so far dedicated almost solely to serving his order, though he seems not terribly keen on sharing his age. But he has admitted he's been with the order for, at least, over fifty years. However, he did have one instance in which he broke the order's code and killed a man, in order to reach a monster he deemed too dangerous to let live, that the man was defending out of "misplaced love." This is the only slight on Brennus's otherwise very long, very spotless record, and he was such a senior and valued member of the order that it went largely overlooked, though some of the older Venatori remember this and believe he should have been discharged from the order for it, despite his extensive attempts to repent (this event occurred a little over twenty years ago).
  • (Sir) Caiden Voros of Redfield has been with the Venatori for quite a few years now, and he is considered a veteran and a legend. Though he keeps his past very much to himself, it's become common knowledge in the Venatori that he is considered to be the first knight of Redfield, his home city; a title he earned defending it from a massive uprising of undead unleashed by a sect of the Hidden, which he also then defeated. His extensive other exploits are well-known, a few of which are defeating a beastfolk uprising in Rognosst Swamp, securing the troll under the bridge a peaceful home in Stonebridge, slaying a chimera in Arcadia, pulling a wyvern out of the sky with his bare hands after getting a grip on its tail, and out-eating a minotaur in a friendly contest. However, his loyalty to the Venatori was unquestioned until he refused to take a new partner and disappeared for months without a trace or any form of communication, following the death of his first and only partner, Gwen, during a werewolf hunt.
  • Gwenevere Vergil of Piera was Caiden's partner, who fabricated herself a surname when she got tired of being called Piera all the time. She took her own life using a silver dagger, following a werewolf bite that she was unable to cure, as she gave her last potion to Caiden instead. Her legacy survives in the Venatori, however, and she is remembered as one of the greats. Although she and Caiden largely bonded due to sharing training together, some Venatori actually blame and resent Caiden for her death.

Other:

• On City Names - An old tradition, many Venatori like to refer to one another by their place name, their birth city. Many Venatori have no last names, as they are simple common folk. In the past, this tradition was upheld for various reasons, but it faded over time. Many Venatori still do this, partially out of habit, and turn them into nicknames.
  • On Venator Training - Venatori go through extensive training after requesting to join the order. They must train well enough to pass several combat trials using their chosen weaponry - at least one melee weapon, a dagger, and a ranged weapon of their choice. All Venatori must receive extensive training in marksmanship, as they prefer to fight at a distance, lest they be easily dispatched by the monsters they hunt. However, they are nonetheless trained in melee combat with a variety of weapons, prominently including a dagger, in whatever fighting style(s) they prefer. Standard, Venatori are not trained extensively for mounted combat, as all but the very best horses spook easily in the presence of monsters, and many Venatori are not wealthy enough to own horses, much less good ones.
  • On Potions - Perhaps the greatest reason why Venatori are often considered to be "freaks" is their tolerance for potions. An integral part of Venator induction involves the slow and gradual change the body must undergo in order to accept the potions a Venator must drink on a hunt. Some consider this an unnatural mutation induced in the body through the use of a slow introduction to potions and a building of tolerance; others consider it little different than the work performed by poisoners to eventually create tolerance for certain poisons. Whatever the case, the ability of Venatori to drink and absorb potions and gain beneficial effects from them is often considered inhuman, and perhaps rightfully so: to drink almost any of the potions Venatori use on a regular basis would either severely sicken or, often, outright kill a normal man, elf, or even dwarf. Most potions include poisons and monster parts in their ingredients, including but not limited to monster organs and blood, which only aids in spreading the belief that Venatori are not too far removed from monsters, themselves. The potions the Venatori use are also highly addictive, leaving some Venatori prone to dangerous, harmful, and very difficult to fuel habits that need breaking by their fellow hunters... but a potion habit is very difficult to break once one lets themselves fall into it.
  • On Syringes - Not all potions are taken by mouth, though the overwhelming majority are. Some potions are, or can be, also taken via syringe for a much faster-acting and more potent effect. This is considered very, very dangerous and unwise, as the absorption of the potion through the stomach is an important part of the process and often considered a requirement to not cause permanent damage on the body. The use of syringes to inject potions was banned from the Venatori due to the harm and potential side-effects.
  • On Venator Wealth/Education - Most Venatori come from peasant backgrounds. They do not know how to write, they do not know how to read, and they do not own horses, nor are they trained extensively in how to ride them into battle (as previously mentioned). Most Venatori ride donkeys or mules, as these are more affordable and more durable for carrying equipment. Other Venatori ride nothing at all and instead hitch a cart to or from their desired locations. A Venator on a horse is considered to be something of a status symbol.
  • On Animals and Livelihood - The Venatori grow their own crops and plants used for potion reagents in and around the castle. Their fields are not extensive, as they only grow for subsistence; they do not sell their harvest. They have some animals as well, including cattle, sheep, goats, and chickens. They also keep and breed hounds, trained to guard the castle and to assist Venatori on hunts - they are also trained to identify and alert the Venatori to monsters, and they are frequently brought on vampire hunts, as the vampires cannot influence the minds of animals. The cats are kept primarily as mousers, but occasionally brought on hunts in which magic may be involved, as the cats are trained to point out magical places of power and influence.

Let me know if there's anything I may have left out or any questions you guys have OOC that you think your characters would know. Note that a few things, of course, will come up in-game, in terms of knowledge checks. This is just for the very general Venator stuff.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#14 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

• On Syringes

I know this is a Fantasy world and all, but for a second I thought that this was the most unbelievable thing that has appeared in Wulfgard so far.

But according to Wikipedia, Syringes have been in use since the days of the Romans, so I digress. It's not that often that you see this much detail in a fantasy universe.

#15 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Added a section about animals and livelihood to the lore post.

I know this is a Fantasy world and all, but for a second I thought that this was the most unbelievable thing that has appeared in Wulfgard so far.

But according to Wikipedia, Syringes have been in use since the days of the Romans, so I digress. It's not that often that you see this much detail in a fantasy universe.

That's because most fantasy writers don't do enough historical research. :P

There are a lot of inventions that the ancients had that people assume are very modern. The people of the ancient times and the Middle Ages don't get nearly enough credit (like this idea that the Greeks and medievals didn't know that the world was round, which they did).

Syringes have been found in eras as ancient as Egypt, BC. The Greeks also had working gears, clocks, and even inventions such as holy water dispensers - insert a coin, hold your hands under the spicket, and you get some holy water. The Greeks had chewing gum. There was an ancient pleasure yacht, owned by Caligula, that had pipes in the walls that pumped heated and cooled water for heating and air conditioning. The Romans had running water. Etc.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#16 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

A Quick-Facts Lore/Info Post (for your characters)

...that I should have done before the RP even started but I am disorganized lately. Don't be me.

You'll want to read this.

Characters:

• Brennus of Ravenstone has been with the Venatori for a very, very long time. His half-elven blood has given him an advantage of lifespan over Men, which he has so far dedicated almost solely to serving his order, though he seems not terribly keen on sharing his age. But he has admitted he's been with the order for, at least, over fifty years. However, he did have one instance in which he broke the order's code and killed a man, in order to reach a monster he deemed too dangerous to let live, that the man was defending out of "misplaced love." This is the only slight on Brennus's otherwise very long, very spotless record, and he was such a senior and valued member of the order that it went largely overlooked, though some of the older Venatori remember this and believe he should have been discharged from the order for it, despite his extensive attempts to repent (this event occurred a little over twenty years ago).

Yeah. I kinda could have used that information so Hollí didn't look like an idiot... especially since that's the sort of thing she should know (the fact that he was already in the order when she joined would make it pretty obvious that he'd been in longer than her). :brickwall:

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#17 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

I can always edit accordingly. It was my bad, anyway.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#18 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Kay. I edited my first post accordingly.

Posted Image

#19 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:25 AM

For the record - Brennus's smile wasn't so much insincere as he can't really muster up a real one at a time like this. :P I should've clarified that...

Here's a heads-up for everyone: I am going to be stuck on mobile for Wednesday, Thursday, and possibly (but hopefully not) Friday. I'll still get simple replies up...

But I'm not going to do a DM post until possibly this weekend, as long as everybody's picked where they want to go. Don't feel rushed through the character interactions, as those are important, but do pick where you want your character(s) to go.

I'll also check my PMs and of course be hanging out on Discord mobile. If anyone has any questions or concerns, let me know. And of course, you can also let Cappy know. ;)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#20 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

First one to syringe potions is objectively the coolest. Just saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users