The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7708 replies to this topic

#7701 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,131 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

What do you think of this, DeadFire? Sony suddenly dropping PS5 information out of nowhere:

PlayStation’s next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into high-end processors and Nvidia's recently announced RTX line, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.

Mark Cerny talks about Ray Tracing, a 3D audio chip, and some kind of specialized SSD. It sounds awesome, and pretty expensive, too. I'd be more than happy for them to launch at $499 if they make a damn good box, though. I think they really screwed up by aiming for $400 with the PS4 Pro; the Xbox One X was $499 and it's so much better as a video game machine. 

Speaking of Xboxes, we have some more games available on backwards compatibility:

D4TIU93UEAAtn3M.jpg

Ninja Gaiden 2, baybee!

#7702 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

Joker, the first of the Fighter Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate drops tomorrow.

#7703 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

Gotta wonder why EA cancelled Amy Hennig's single-player story-focused Star Wars game just to turn around and get a different studio to make one. Maybe the backlash from the cancellation changed their minds? Shame, since honestly I was more interested in Hennig's game, with a non-Jedi protag, but oh well. Guess those are doomed never to see the light of day, just like 1313.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7704 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

Gotta wonder why EA cancelled Amy Hennig's single-player story-focused Star Wars game just to turn around and get a different studio to make one. Maybe the backlash from the cancellation changed their minds? Shame, since honestly I was more interested in Hennig's game, with a non-Jedi protag, but oh well. Guess those are doomed never to see the light of day, just like 1313.

That one shot in the Fallen Order trailer of the guy leaping out onto a spaceship reminded me of that 1313 footage from way back when. I wondered if it was deliberately trying to make reference to that or if big dramatic leaps are just so ingrained in generic action movie trailer iconography that it was totally coincidental.

Speaking of thirteens, does anyone remember that game XIII from... what was it, the PS2 era? I never played it but I always thought it looked pretty cool. Anyway, they're remastering it for current-gen stuff:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey has a trailer for its ridiculous DLC where Kassandra goes to Atlantis and meets all the Greek gods, who (according to current Assassin's Creed lore) are the First Civilization people conducting goofy experiments through time and space:

And the final scene of The Last of Us 2 has been shot, so maybe there's a chance this game might come out this year after all.

#7705 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,118 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:53 PM

Oh about the ps5 info. Ray tracing basically will be on all hardware from now until the end of days. There are multiple new apis to support it. DXR is a component of DirectX12. OpenGL has a type as well. It won't be full scale like that Star Wars demo last year running off 50 or 60 Tflops. Baby steps basically.

Backwards compatibility with basically all ps4 titles. They also showed a loading time comparison with spiderman on the new hardware.

Most of it is basically confirming all the rumors. What is really odd is Microsoft has stated that they will have something more advanced than that. Which honestly has made me confused. Although I'm thinking maybe they are talking about NVme thing instead of a ssd or hdd having better load times?

I'm pretty sure nothing has been detailed in the announcement. Every single rumor states what Sony has stated. Well the rumors also state 16 threads and various different numbers of RAM. Ranged from 16Gb and above with 4GB DDR4 System/OS RAM. Honestly biggest problem with ps4 is low OS memory.

Microsoft has very similar specs rumored as well almost identical. Microsoft has 2 or 3 consoles. Specs rumored very on them quite a bit as well. One will be all powerful 12-15 tflops and another will be xcloud box basically with 4Tflops and possibly one in the middle around 8 Tflops. It's like they are trying to sell a pc with low,mid,and high tier graphics.

Still most of the important details are just rumors until E3. AMD will be doing a full reveal of Navi at E3. So we can get abit more into its full range and guess better on the rumors. I expect Microsoft to do a full reveal of its hardware in some form with new ips at E3.

Next Batch of consoles.....

PS5 - 8 or more cores? 16 or 32 GB RAM? GPU around 8-15 Tflops. MAY-JULY 2019

XB4 - 8 or more cores? 16 or 32 GB RAM? GPU around 8-15 Tflops. JUNE 2019

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

-New Tapatalk thing. They destroyed my old board.

#7706 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,190 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

Ubisoft has officially turned one of the classic military combat video games of my childhood into another generic shoot em up robot killing game, with bad guys wearing capes.

I'm pretty upset.

lWZ8e6F.png

#7707 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,131 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

Would you say you're at your... breakpoint?

Did Jon Bernthal just say he was going to "burn your world to the ground"? Is he an alien? Were they so busy trying to chase that Destiny money that they even copied the script and forgot to find-and-replace all the references to it being in space?

Sony had one of their Nintendo Directs, and they showed some more Medievil gameplay:

And some more from FFVII Remake:

Nintendo has posted their E3 plans, too:

Nintendo-E3-2019_05-09-19.jpg

As always, they say they'll only be showing 2019 games but they'll inevitably show a few that are further out. I'm hoping we'll get ANYTHING from Bayonetta 3. Please Nintendo. Please, Mr Bowser.

#7708 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,131 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Super Mario Maker 2 had a Nintendo Direct:

Ubisoft has delayed Skull & Bones, which you may remember as the online pirate ship battling game from two E3s ago, but in its place they've announced they have no fewer than three unannounced AAA games coming before March 2020. Watch Dogs 3 is a safe bet, given all the rumours and teases, and hopefully Splinter Cell will be another. No idea about the third, though.

EDIT - So in case you were wondering just how much money Fortnite makes has, the Epic Games Store is currently doing their first ever sale, and it's a pretty serious one. They're starting at a flat $10 off every game over $14.99, and that's on top of any current discounts and it includes pre-orders. Apparently Epic is just eating the cost, so it isn't coming out of the developers' pockets, either. So games like Control or Borderlands 3 are now $50, whereas Supergiant's game Hades is now $7. They're also upping their 'free game every two weeks' program to 'free game every one week' for the duration of the month-long sale.

This would be a good opportunity to talk about John Wick Hex, which I think looks really cool:

I love that they didn't go for the obvious third-person shooter template for a John Wick game, because that's not what John Wick-ing is about. Instead it's this ultra-close-up action/strategy thing that just looks so rad to me; you're basically choreographing your way through John Wick fight scenes on the fly. Anyway, it's EGS-exclusive and thanks to this sale it's $8 right now (discounted from $20 before the game is even out), so that's my first EGS buy.

I know this is all just to get their foot in the door, but if Epic wants to keep subsidizing the cost of all these games for me I'm happy to let them for as long as it lasts.

#7709 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,131 posts

Posted Today, 04:42 AM

OK kids, strap yourselves in because this might be a big one. A few weeks ago a new rumour started making the rounds that seemed so dumb on its face that I didn't even bother posting it here. A new game from From Software that would apparently count George R.R. Martin among its writing staff. Ridiculous, right? Not even worth the paper it was written on.

Except it might actually be real. GRRM himself confirmed today that he's 'consulted on a video game out of Japan', and now the real juicy information is hitting gaming news sites. It's known as Great Rune, set in a world of Norse mythology, and it's due to be revealed at Microsoft's E3 show in a couple of weeks.

So how about that, then? I'm into it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users