Star Wars

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#281 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,335 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:41 PM

Yeah, I liked it. Not really a whole lot more to say, because there isn't really a whole lot to go on; it was weirdly short for a 'prestige' TV show at sub-40 minutes, and now we have to wait a whole week for the next one like we're living in the stone age or something. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Spoiler

#282 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,218 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

and now we have to wait a whole week for the next one like we're living in the stone age or something.

Im not positive but I think Chapter 2 comes out Friday and then it goes to a weekly release.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#283 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

Im not positive but I think Chapter 2 comes out Friday and then it goes to a weekly release.

You are correct sir, because I just watched Chapter 2 and boy howdy,

is it better than the first chapter.

This episode gave me a lot of Samurai Jack vibes, as the action speaks more than the characters do, which I appreciate very much. This episode improved a lot on the problems I had with the first episode, as I could actually see what was going on in the darker scenes, the cgi looks a lot better, and I'm actually glad the Mando isn't Boba Fett, which I'll get into in spoilers.

My favorite thing about this episode were the Jawas. They did a really good job showing how these guys are a bunch of savage pests. I'm also glad the Ugnaut guy got one last hurrah before he left the show for good, and actually showing us disintegrations and why Vader didn't want Boba to do it to the cast of the Original Trilogy.

Speaking of Boba, let's get into spoilers:

Spoiler

My final verdict: this episode made me want to watch the show more than the first one. I can't wait for the next one!

#284 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,218 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

Chapter 2 being 30~ minutes long is an absolute travesty because this show is amazing.

It's a country western Star Wars and it FEELS so much like A New Hope it's insane.  Even some of the shots with lighting remind me of the old movies.

This is what I've wanted since I was a kid, guys.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#285 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,335 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:31 AM

What a SHOW this is, you guys! I love it.

I'm so delighted to see that it isn't just The Adventures of Cool Space Badass. That's the impression I got from all the trailers, and pretty much what I expected from this show from the get go: a Not-Boba-Fett being impossibly calm, cool and collected, all anime anti-hero perfect and unflappable. Does anyone remember that trilogy of Boba Fett EU novels where they basically wrote Fett as a hyper-intelligent robot? I still think about this one part where he's having a space dogfight with some other guy who left a bunch of giant invisible transparisteel panels floating in space for Fett to fly into, and somehow Fett realises quickly enough to slam on the space brakes and only crack his windshield on one, and then it turns out he knows every inch of Slave 1 so well that he can immediately call out the exact, millimetre-perfect co-ordinates for this tiny crack in the glass for his shipboard AI to run diagnostics on and repair or whatever. Boy those books were silly :P

And, honestly, I probably would have watched a show like that, because that seems alright, but I am so much more interested now that it's clear the show is going the opposite direction with it. So far our boy has spent the show getting swindled, robbed, shot, chopped, kicked, blasted, dropped off things and nearly killed half a dozen times. He's good in a fight, but he's not 'kill anyone and everyone without breaking a sweat' good. Every fight is a knockdown, drag out scrap. They don't even have any reverence for the famous armour itself; imagine letting everyone think you're making a Boba Fett glorification show and then in the second episode you straight up break the armour and have it sticking off at an awkward, ugly angle while a space rhino stomps your Mandalorian up and down a giant mudpit. It's so good!

Also, I don't know who wrote the music for this episode, but some of it sounds like they recorded it in a steel mill using industrial machinery as instruments, and it's really great.

#286 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

Yo it's ya boi Dalton and I just got back from watching the latest episode and boy howdy is this the best one yet.

The Mandalorians in this show are channeling big Old Republic Energy: lots of unique armor colors and bits. Their appearance in Clone Wars and Rebels were fine, but they were always in groups that looked the same. But this show is like "Nah fam, we're going to do what Star Wars cosplayers do and customize the crap out of the original armor design." My favorites so far are the Armor-smith and the Heavy Infantry Guy. Doing very interesting things with their designs.

The biggest strength of this show is showing the dark underbelly of the criminal underworld in a way that Disney's Star Wars hasn't been able to before, and I love it. The designs of the Mandos, random Aliens and Droids, as well as the other Bounty Hunters in this episode were amazing. I love this show so much you guys! Speaking of dark, lighting wasn't a big issue in this episode for once! It was dark when appropriate, and I could clearly see what was going on! Very good stuff.

Anyways, on to spoilers:

Spoiler

To finish up, this show is probably the best non-movie Star Wars thing that Disney has created, and I'm excited for the next episode!

#287 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,965 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:05 PM

So I had typed up my thoughts on The Mandalorian earlier today and accidentally closed the tab before posting.

I absolutely adore The Mandalorian, it is my favorite Star Wars content to come out in a long while. Rogue One is awesome and so is The Clone Wars, but nothing quite tops The Mandalorian.

I never thought how emotionally invested one could become with a man who's practically a mute and someone incapable of speech. Someone who's face we've never seen, so you can't read that for his emotions. The only way to really see how he is feeling most of the time is his body language and the actor does it well. The same goes for the character incapable of speech as well. 

I am nowhere near this invested in the sequel trilogy. To be perfectly honest and frank, I don't care about Rey, Finn, Poe, or Kylo. I don't care how their story ends because I'm not invested in them. I'm not excited for The Rise of Skywalker, not in the slightest, the trailers have done nothing, but make me less excited.

But the fact that I care about a faceless, nameless main protagonist that lets his actions speak for him is incredible. You can see his emotions in his hands, the way he walks, the way he stares, everything. This man's story has only just begun and I want to see it to the bitter end, I'm extremely excited for next week. 

Onto spoilers.

Spoiler

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 22 November 2019 - 07:08 PM.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#288 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,335 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

There were two little bits I really liked in this week's episode:

- You-know-who playing with all the dials and controls of the Mando's ship cockpit, and one stick in particular. You think is just a cute moment, until they come back around to it when Mando's about to leave the planet and goes through the full dial-flicking startup procedure... ending on that very same stick our baby boy was playing with earlier. So good.

- They remind you about the Bounty fob thing, and tell you that every other Bounty Hunter in the bar had one, so later in the episode when all the fobs start beeping again you're like "BOY THEY 'BOUT TO DO IT!"

To be honest, I think his new armour makes him look like he's got a fat gut, but I really like that they're clearly emphasising a theme of our Mandalorian not knowing who he is in the world yet. No emblems, no insignia, a bare metal ship and now a bare metal suit of armour. He even refuses an emblem in this episode because he doesn't feel he's earnt it. Presumably by the end of the season he'll have found an identity for himself, and I expect he'll have a new look when the time comes.

#289 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:21 PM

To be honest, I think his new armour makes him look like he's got a fat gut, but I really like that they're clearly emphasising a theme of our Mandalorian not knowing who he is in the world yet. No emblems, no insignia, a bare metal ship and now a bare metal suit of armour. He even refuses an emblem in this episode because he doesn't feel he's earnt it. Presumably by the end of the season he'll have found an identity for himself, and I expect he'll have a new look when the time comes.

Spoiler

#290 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,335 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:06 AM

Spoiler

Also I found some nice 4Kish captures of the end credits stills for Episodes 2 and 3:

https://imgur.com/a/dZKsnkp

https://imgur.com/a/Tx4Nrcg

Oh btw, the director of this episode, Deborah Chow, is also directing all six episodes of the Obi Wan TV show!

#291 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

This is the way.

#292 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,335 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:45 PM

This is the way.

ols8illnu9041.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

#293 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:36 AM

So okay Episode 4 is out (no, not A New Hope. . .) and I actually have some stuff to say!(?)

TBH I don't think this show is really "spoil-able" but I want to speak freely.

Spoiler

Did you guys know you can't take a screenshot of Disney Plus? I wanted to take a still to put in my post as an image but when I screenshot it just goes black. Huh. 

Anyways, here's me living in 2019 taking pictures of my monitor.

Spoiler

What a garbage show for trash people. Thanks I hate it. Life sucks. What's the point of anything? How many hours of my life have I spent on this sunk cost fallacy of a show?

#294 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

So, I just finished watching Episode 4 of the Mandalorian, and...

...by Sully's mustache Florent, I can't like your post on this episode enough. I perfectly surmises why this show works so well. I legitimately almost started crying when I read your review. This show is amazing, not just because its Star Wars, but because you can feel the blood, sweat, and tears that the writers put into it. This isn't like the Sequel Movies, or a show like Rebels, which have good have good elements but are castrated in order to be marketable to families. These writers have no filters, and it is amazing to see what they are able to accomplish without Disney breathing down their necks.

Oh yeah, I guess I should talk about the Episode:

Spoiler

Anyways, I think this Episode was a nice continuation of the show. I think that Episode 3 will most likely be the best out of this season, but we're halfway through with four more episodes to go so I may be proven wrong.

#295 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,218 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

I love this show, I just wish it showed more of the backwater planets Mando and Yittle get off to.  I want to see more than two villages on the woodland planet, I want to know why the Jawa are on a different planet and how did the sandcrawler get there.  The lore is one of the best parts of Star Wars so show me it damn it.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#296 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,335 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:09 AM

This episode is where I'm really feeling that week-long gap between episodes. Because it was good, and I liked it, but I... just don't have all that much to say about it. The Seven Samurai template is always a fun one, and I loved the way it presented an AT-ST as a scary beast. Yep. Good episode.

Oh no, wait, I thought of something: there aren't enough 'c's in thicc to describe how THICC-C-C-C-C Gina Carano is. Ben Swolo has some competition. I'm waiting for the Cara Dune/Mando teamup fight scene to show up on Youtube so I can make a gif of the part where she suplexes that one dude. More wrassling moves in Star Wars, please. I want to see Rey drop the People's Elbow on Sheev in TROS.

Friendly reminder of the time Gina Carano killed Channing Tatum, Michael Fassbender and Ewan McGregor in the one movie, btw:

#297 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

Yo Episode 5 is out and you know what that means? Dalton's going to talk about it, baby.

This episode was good for a standalone one. I liked the Bounty Hunters in this episode, and I'm glad we revisited Tatoonie with this episode. The Hanger Technician and the Pit Droids were a cool look at a small worldbuilding stuff, and so were the Tusken Raiders. Their appearance in this was much better than in Rebels, by the way. I think the action scenes in this Episode are on par with the shootouts from Episode 3, but not really anything else.

Here's the small bit of spoilers before I close this out:

Spoiler

There's my thoughts. 

#298 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:39 PM

Ok, I'm gonna sit here and wait until we get a full critique of all the battle tactics and strategic inconsistencies used by the Gary Stu protagonist in this show (they haven't explained how he got so good at fighting and I need there to be a reason for everything). I'm also waiting to hear someone tear into how this episode is a complete cinematic disaster because of the continuity error with the second Speeder bike disappearing. 

I'm also gonna wait until I hear someone talk about how Beskar completely breaks the established lore and combat strategies, why didn't the Empire just make Stormtrooper armor out of Beskar huh? HUH?

Going to wait until I hear criticism about how the scenes with the pit droids added nothing to the story and ruined the pacing of the episode. Also going to wait until I hear people complaining about the characters standing around and peeking their heads over hills while a sniper is aiming at them. Quick, someone run a full analysis of the battle strategy in comparison with General George S. Patton's tactics.

Oh wait, except I won't hear any of that! Nobody is saying all that crap about this particular Star War because the protagonist isn't a woman.

User was warned for this post.

What a garbage show for trash people. Thanks I hate it. Life sucks. What's the point of anything? How many hours of my life have I spent on this sunk cost fallacy of a show?

#299 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,965 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

Just because I don't like the sequel trilogy doesn't automatically make me a bigot or sexist. How small minded of you.

But, I'll indulge you.

The fact that the main protagonist is such a competent combatant is because he was trained from a young age as a Mandalorian, a warrior culture/ religion. He has had at least a decade to do so, while not shown, it is still referenced by other characters and his backstory. Considering he is worthy of a full Beskar cuirass (though this also included vambraces and cuisse) and it was 'worthy of his station'. Rey doesn't have any of that. She just so happened to run in BB-8, obviously she can protect herself when Finn first sees her, she does manage to beat down two thugs, but with a quarterstaff, not a sword.

The second speeder bike was knocked out by Fennec Shand's blaster rifle, though it seems to have the firepower of a anti-materiel rifle (akin to a WWI or WWII anti-tank rifle). When she is being held at the base of the ridge/cliff, they never pan out far enough for the knocked out speeder bike to be seen. The Mandalorian got forcefully dismounted a fair distance.

Beskar would have been extremely expensive to mass produce. Even in the United State's military, the apex predator of this planet, doesn't outfit everyone with the best equipment. We have 3 million military personnel, there's not enough money to do so. If the US military were to downsize the military where that would be possible, we'd have a much smaller military. The best equipment is reserved for Special Forces, Navy SEALs or Army Delta Force because there is not many of them. It's a sad fact, but almost every military's equipment is created by the lowest bidder. Private companies can bid for contracts and even the US military tries to save money, thus with typically the lowest bid getting chosen to develop a new piece of ordnance or vehicle, there's less money to work with. Granted, the US military does have high standards, so our equipment is typically far superior to others, but it can't be the best. Now take the Galactic Empire, which would have a military force numbering in the billions to be able to enforce their will across a galaxy. How does that make logical sense?

The pit droids were harmless additions and make perfect sense since they're part of the technician's crew. While, them poking their heads over the sand dune wasn't the best idea considering they were hunting a sniper. They have to chance a look to make sure that she hasn't relocated and flanking them to get a clear kill shot.

With the two charging her at night on speeder bikes and firing illumination rounds into the air was perfectly viable. While driving straight on gives an easy target that steadily gets larger, she was skilled enough to probably be able to lead her shots to hit them and did prove her mettle by mobility killing the Mandalorian's vehicle. If the two were to take evasive maneuvering, they'd lose speed and cover more distance than needed to reach their quarry, so for them to charge straight down the middle was their best option. It's like tanks charging forward and firing white phosphorus or WP rounds to create a tactical smokescreen or using grenade launchers mounted on their turrets to fire smoke grenades that also deny line-of-sight and can even block laser lock-on's of various anti-tank guided missiles. Add to the fact that it was night, so the effectiveness of the illumination rounds were amplified. 

General George S. Patton's use of the Third Army and his various armored divisions, namely the Third Armored Division. The Third Armored Division was known as 'Spearhead' because they literally were the tip of the spear for most military actions. They would be at the forefront, charging into enemy territory because that's how Patton liked to fight. So, the Mandalorian and the rookie bounty hunter perfectly emulated General Patton's strategy.

Happy now?

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 06 December 2019 - 03:43 PM.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#300 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:57 PM

Jesus christ, Florent.

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Wars

0 user(s) are reading this topic