Photo

Star Wars Movies and Disney Fanfiction Thread

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

Poll: Star Wars

What's a cool spaceship?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1881 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

EVERYONE SHUT UP!

DLvAUShUIAASVox.jpg

#1882 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

I don't think I can find a gif that conveys how hyped I am.

But I do have one for what went through my mind when I saw that mockery of the greatest star wars scene of all time:

f0HlUzx.gif

Thank you, Disney, for destroying my hopes and dreams of seeing TR-8R again. I'm just glad that Gwendolyn Christie has a better character in Game of Thrones, because now Phasma has gone from being annoying Boba Fett rip-off to a walking middle finger to the most loyal stormtrooper who ever lived.

Goodnight, sweet Prince. You will be missed. 

#1883 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

I mean, TR-8R did die. I don't think there was much chance of him coming back either way :P

j8npUUW.gif

#1884 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:28 AM

I mean, TR-8R did die. I don't think there was much chance of him coming back either way :P

Taking a shot so powerful it can shatter your armor directly to the chest can do that to someone.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#1885 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:06 AM

OK, so I might be turning into a huge mark for anything Phasma, but oh man this bit looks so cool:

GO5qlDd.jpg

I'm trying really hard not to watch this trailer again. I knew there was no way I could avoid watching it outright, but maybe if I only watch it once I won't obsess over it and ruin the whole movie for myself.

#1886 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

Taking a shot so powerful it can shatter your armor directly to the chest can do that to someone.

I'm not sure if that logic holds weight in a universe were science and medicine is so advanced you can literally impersonate another person, down to their very voice.

​Though to be fair, that was in the Clone Wars show and ​with Jedi Technology.

But maybe I'm being too hard on Phasma. Maybe she's actually an interesting character, and not Disney trying ​waaay​ too hard to recapture the awesomeness of Boba Fett and failing miserably. :P

#1887 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:57 AM

I'm not sure if that logic holds weight in a universe were science and medicine is so advanced you can literally impersonate another person, down to their very voice.

​Though to be fair, that was in the Clone Wars show and ​with Jedi Technology.

I'm sure TR-8R will get brought back for some kind of slice of the EU, but let's keep those TV show writers away from the main movies. They'd probably have a newly-revived Mecha Han Solo come back for vengeance, flying in on a lightsabre helicopter and telling Kylo not to get cocky.

#1888 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I can't wait until Luke Skywalker dies and everyone pretends that it's surprising and sad.

Posted Image

#1889 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,862 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

Why ya gotta be bitter and cynical.

#1890 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

Who needs cynicism when you can have CORPORATE FOCUS TESTED MASCOT CHARACTERS?

O8NoLN4.gif

qDJc3HP.gif

(I'm going to be sad when Luke dies)

#1891 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:37 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I like Phasma.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#1892 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:04 AM

Phasma is the key to all this. She's a chrome-er character than we've ever had in the movies before.

EDIT - You guys I said I wasn't going to watch the trailer again. I was wrong. The hype got me like:

oqZyzZk.gif

7F9GU3U.gif

EDIT - Why can't I stop watching this trailer, you guys? I just noticed that there are old AT-ATs mixed in with the new ones in that salt flat planet scene, and the old ones are like horsies whereas the new ones are like gorillas. Neato.

#1893 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

HAN SOLO UPDATE: Opie Talyor grew up to be a sassy old man:

screen_shot_2017_10_17_at_9_10_14_am.0.p

Also, Tag and Bink are apparently canon now:

hansolo1.png?w=748&h=525&crop=1

#1894 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:41 AM

star-wars-kinect-dance.jpg
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#1895 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

star-wars-kinect-dance.jpg

giphy.gif

​Lol Jontron reviewed that game

#1896 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

So how'bout this new Thrawn book, then? Well, it's pretty readable, or listen-to-able, as it were, but boy if you thought Rey was a Mary Sue you ain't seen nothin'. Timothy Zahn's approach to reimagining Thrawn was evidently, "What if he was just Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes, but also Batman?". He's no longer just a tactical genius in battle, he's now constantly evaluating people's minute facial ticks and mannerisms while he talks, talking about rises in 'facial heat' (his glowing eyes can see into the infra-red spectrum, you see) and drawing conclusions about people that are, of course, always perfectly on the money. The opening of the book is him single-handedly taking out a garrison of Stormtroopers that find his forest hideout with tricks and traps and Rambo tactics.

Early on he gets jumped by a bunch of surly Imperial cadets, indignant that he's rising through the ranks faster than they, and I was pleased to see that he didn't single-handedly kung fu them all effortlessly. He takes serious beating, almost as though hand-to-hand fighting isn't his forte, right? Then later on it's revealed that he can actually fight the leader of a martial arts dojo to a standstill and he was just holding back in that first fight for reasons.

He even has his own Moriarty now: a mysterious fellow calling him/it/themselves 'Nightswan'. The two of them have been trading tactical blows all through the book, with Thrawn tracking him by spotting patterns in what I can only assume are zettabytes of data about galactic shipping logistics.

Zahn tries to pretend that Thrawn's weakness is politics; he can win any battle, but the twists and turns of Coruscant politics confuse him, I guess. It doesn't really ring true, though, because everything still always goes his way. About the only character flaw he really displays is that, despite learning to speak perfect English in like a week (uh, ack-choo-ally, it's called Basic, Ocelot), he occasionally has to pause mid-sentence, say something like "Oogoogaboodoo" to his aide and translator, who'll tell him "Er, that's 'usurpation', sir".

It's interesting to see how they've slotted him into the new Star Wars universe, though (I didn't realise the book was set before ANH until someone mentioned Tarkin). Thrawn was a high-ranking commander in the Chiss Ascendancy (i.e. the blue guys like him), but he was exiled after launching a pre-emptive strike against some mysterious threat way out in the galaxy beyond the Empire's sight. He's dropped off on some backwater planet, and insinuates himself into the Empire after a passing garrison happens to land there. He's taken to meet with the Emperor, and bargains his way into the Academy, quickly getting his own ship and pulling off all kinds of improbable shenanigans.

Eh, Star Wars, I suppose. Y'know? One of these days I might be able to let it go, but as much as I want to think I'm too old or too cool for it, it still just pulls me back in. Next thing I know I'm going to be buying action figures again.

#1897 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

Eh, Star Wars, I suppose. Y'know? One of these days I might be able to let it go, but as much as I want to think I'm too old or too cool for it, it still just pulls me back in. Next thing I know I'm going to be buying action figures again.

Or it's legos. I swear every other time I walk past the lego isle I force myself not to spontaneously by any Star Wars stuff.

I also read the Thrawn book, and I really enjoyed it. Politics and things like it in Star Wars belong in books, where they have more time to go in depth with it, whereas if you do it with a movie, you get the Prequels. Timothy Zahn, the author (duh), said that he's making another one, and I can't wait to see what he does with it.

Though, to be honest, I kind of hate the fact that they're doing all of this character building for Thrawn, because I know they're just going to kill him off in Rebels because having any sort of competent Imperial Villain must go against everything Disney's version of the Empire stands for.

#1898 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

Or it's legos. I swear every other time I walk past the lego isle I force myself not to spontaneously by any Star Wars stuff.

Yeah....   I totally didn't give into the urge and buy a Y-Wing and U-Wing set over the summer...   Nor did I totally give in and buy an X-Wing set back during Holiday of 2015...

5Sa8Z49.gif

#1899 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

New commercial:

THIS MOVIE LOOKS REALLY GOOD

#1900 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

You know what bodes well for Episode VIII?  

The fact that Rian Johnson, the writer-director of The Last Jedi, is now set to create a brand new trilogy of Star Wars movies, separate from the Skywalker saga of movies.

No additional details have been provided, namely on who/what it will be centering around, when it will take place, and possibly where it will take place and go to.

5Sa8Z49.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users