Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

POPULAR

elemental2_fire.jpg

Elemental Contest #2: FIRE

This is a series of contests themed around a set of fantastical "elements": Water, Fire, Ice, Air, Storm, Earth, Life, Darkness, and Light. I might add more, or remove some, or change the order. There will be a new one every few months. I don't know if we'll ever make it to the end. That depends on how many people enter, for one thing. So tell your friends!

The first theme was WaterThe current theme is FIRE. Your entry can be set in any time period or based on any universe - be it high fantasy, sci-fi, superheroes, whatever - so long as it prominently features FIRE as a central element of the piece. Preferably the fire should be doing something, rather than just sitting there in the background. If your entry shows people dancing around a bonfire or fighting above a volcano, that's fine, but it would be better if they were starting the bonfire, or if the volcano was currently erupting. Other good entries would be a guy with a flamethrower torching a building as it crumbles, or a fire-mage having a fire-beam-fight with a dragon's fire-breath. For example.

LEGO entries are encouraged, but I know some of my forum members don't do LEGO, so we also accept other types of artwork, even written entries. Depending on how many of those we get, we may judge them in a separate section. LEGO entries can take any form, but vignettes or dioramas are preferred.

JUDGING & PRIZES

Entries will be judged according to three main criteria: general creativity, overall quality, and use of fire as the central theme. There will be a panel of no more than 5 judges, with myself and Maverick-Werewolf being 2 of them. We will call for volunteer judges later, so don't ask just yet. Consider entering instead, first!

Our Panel of Judges: Saber-Scorpion, Maverick-Werewolf, Vorgain, Thrawnie, and Nightstalker

Each winner will get a code they can use to take a certain amount of money off one order from my shop (it also subtracts from shipping, so your order can be completely free!) and a medal icon added to their account here on the forums.

1st Place Prize = $24 shop code & gold medal

2nd Place Price = $16 shop code & silver medal

3rd Place Prize = $10 shop code & bronze medal

There will be bonus prizes for winning entries set in Wulfgard or Nova Refuge too!

HOW TO ENTER & DEADLINE

Just link to your entry in a reply to this topic! Yes, you must have a forum account to enter, and I encourage you to post your entry as a topic in the appropriate board here, like the Construction Zone or Artwork boards. You can even host your images in our own Gallery here, which now has a LEGO section anyone can use! But if you prefer, you can still host your images on another website and simply link to them here.

As stated previously, LEGO entries are encouraged, but you can also enter another type of artwork, or even a written entry.
You may submit up to 2 entries. The current deadline is August 15.
Now go indulge your inner pyromaniac! Let it BURN!

F.A.Q.

If you have a question about the contest, please ask in a reply! I will paste important questions/answers here.

ENTRIES SO FAR

Late edit: V.Metalic

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,439 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

Oh, yeah!  I've been looking forward to this.  I just hope I can actually build the entry I've been brainstorming since the poll.  Best of luck to everyone!

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#3 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

Would magma/lava be more apt for the fire contest, or the earth contest?

#4 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Expect a Bribary in the form of Wulfgard Submission.

#5 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

Challenge Accepted!
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Maximus Corellio

Maximus Corellio

Different, but not less.

• Nova Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

SO getting in on this! I've got a writing piece already in the oven! (no pun intended)

Be without fear in the face of your enemies.

Be bold and upright that God may love thee.

Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death.

Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

That is your oath.

#7 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Would magma/lava be more apt for the fire contest, or the earth contest?

Fire, probably.

Expect a Bribary in the form of Wulfgard Submission.

Wulfgard and Nova Refuge are always eligible for extra decal prizes. :D But we show no favoritism/bias as far as the score goes. Or at least, we try not to. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#8 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Awesome! Stoked to see another contest! :D Question though, would I still be eligible to enter or should I sit this round out and volunteer to judge?

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#9 Maximus Corellio

Maximus Corellio

Different, but not less.

• Nova Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Are we supposed to use literal fire, as in actual flames, the pure element, or is it acceptable to use different forms of heat? Because I have different forms of heat, not just literal flames, that I've been working into my entry.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies.

Be bold and upright that God may love thee.

Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death.

Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

That is your oath.

#10 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:46 PM

Love is not an acceptable source of warmth

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#11 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

POPULAR

For the judges' consideration, I present my first entry, the Helexith Wrath Archer.

Edited by Style, 30 June 2016 - 04:58 AM.

xgd0s9.jpg

#12 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:09 AM

POPULAR

Holy frell, Style, that's seriously awesome! I haven't seen your art in so long, I forgot you were so good! :o 

I mean, um, I'm an unbiased judge with no opinions until the contest is over.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#13 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:35 PM

Haha, I appreciate the positive feedback, though I'm sure somebody will make some awesome Lego creation that will blow my doodle out of the water fire.

xgd0s9.jpg

#14 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

I was hoping some folks would have some awesome entries ready, since I gave a bit of early warning. That is seriously cool.* :D

*I mean, hot. Durrr.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#15 DragonJedi

DragonJedi

"Dead-Eye Jargon"

• Nova Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

I've got the sketch of my entry all done, now I just need to scan, color, and upload.

#16 DragonJedi

DragonJedi

"Dead-Eye Jargon"

• Nova Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Entry No. One

#17 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

... would Warhammer be acceptable? I'm literally choking on spray paint fumes right now, so putting together a graphic of a flamer-sporting Space Marine torching down some xenos filth would be delightful.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#18 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

... would Warhammer be acceptable? I'm literally choking on spray paint fumes right now, so putting together a graphic of a flamer-sporting Space Marine torching down some xenos filth would be delightful.

I'm no judge but I don't think you can get any better than Warhammer for potential pyromania parties.

xgd0s9.jpg

#19 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

If every porkchop were perfect . . .

• Nova Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

Got two LEGO ideas already. Making the figs, should get it up sometime soon. Got a Steampunk one and a comedic Fantasy one.

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

heroes_and_villains_header___small_by_ra

Click the picture to check out Reaperman290's new roleplay, Heroes & Villains!

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#20 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

Okay, so, I've got a question. It involves burns, which is what fire causes. Does it have to be a burn from an actual fire or a burn from chemicals? 'Cause I've got a really cool WWI idea.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users